Walking Dead: Game ruining bug (Choices not carrying over, Episode 4 -> Episode 5)

Comments

• Thanks, it worked!

DjNDB posted: »

@popsbrahe Please rename the prefs.prop in C:\Users\Brahe1\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it

• Hi, save files not showing up either (Mac). I can't located the prefs.prop file from the 103 folder (last one I completed) so I'm stumped.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/wjzhpo

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

Please do a search on your computer for prefs.prop. You should only have one copy of this file in your save game directory. If you find another copy elsewhere, this needs to be removed. Usually this duplicate file can be found in either a Gamedata folder adjacent to your save directory, or in your installation folder. If you are playing on Steam, you will need to find the Walking Dead game data within your Steam installation folder. If you remove this prefs file, but still experience the issue, then it's possible the duplicate file is being recognized instead of the prefs in your save directory. Please take the duplicate file and move it into your save folder (which will overwrite the existing file). You may want to back-up both of these files before attempting this process, just in case.

Unfortunately, if this does not resolve your issue, then your prefs file has most likely been corrupted. This is rare, but can happen if the save is compromised (for example, if the game crashes during an autosave, or if the game is closed using Task Manager). If this is the case, then the corrupted prefs can no longer be used and should be removed from your computer to prevent any further complications.

kolsh posted: »

Hi, save files not showing up either (Mac). I can't located the prefs.prop file from the 103 folder (last one I completed) so I'm stumped. http://www.sendspace.com/file/wjzhpo

• Thanks for the advice, but no, a search of my computer using Finder's Find function didn't bring up any other prefs.prop files other than the one in my SteamApps folder. I can see my save files in the folder, just not in game. Moving the prefs.prop out of the SteamApps folder makes the game make a new pref file which again can't see my save files. As I don't use Task Manager (it's a Mac) and the last time I played, the Chapter finished successfully, and I exited via the menu, I'm not sure how my pref file could have been corrupted during a save.

What else can we try?

Please do a search on your computer for prefs.prop. You should only have one copy of this file in your save game directory. If you find anot

Please go to your ~Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead folder. Your Library folder is sometimes hidden, to make it visible, please open a Finder window, and at the top of the screen, click Go and hold down the Option key. The Library will now become available in the drop down menu. Click that and follow the above file path. You should have one Prefs.prop file in there. This is the only one you should have for The Walking Dead: Season One. If you have any other prefs.prop files on your computer that you may have backed up, or thrown in the trash, please delete them or rename them to prefs.prop.bak to disable them. Then restart the game, and you should then be able to see your save files.

Thanks for the advice, but no, a search of my computer using Finder's Find function didn't bring up any other prefs.prop files other than th

• I had already taken these steps. Let me clarify:

There is one pref.prop file on my computer. It is located in the ~Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead folder.

The last time I played the game, I completed Season 1 Episode 3, was taken back to the main menu, then exited, with no errors reported for crashes.

The next time I opened the game, the save files don't show up in my save file list, but I can see them in the folder.

For added information (not sure if it's relevant), I play on Mac OS 10.8.5, with Steam, with Steam Cloud backups enabled. One thing which I find strange is that even if I rename the only preferences file (in the location specified above), my settings for sound and graphics remain the same when a new prefs.prop file is created. Are there any other preference files for The Walking Dead saved on Mac other than the prefs.prop file? I'm reluctant to touch any other files without your advice, as the game seems to have enough bugs as it is without me personally creating more.

Thanks for your help.

Please go to your ~Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead folder. Your Library folder is sometimes hidden, to make it v

If you still have any prefs.prop files in your .trash folder, you will need to fully delete them to make sure they are not being read by the game.

I had already taken these steps. Let me clarify: There is one pref.prop file on my computer. It is located in the ~Library/Application Su

• Please read what I have written. There are no prefs.prop files in my trash folder, or anywhere else on my computer, other than in the location specified.

If you still have any prefs.prop files in your .trash folder, you will need to fully delete them to make sure they are not being read by the game.

I apologize for the confusion. If you only have one prefs.prop file on your computer and you are still experiencing this issue, please run the support tool again, and I should be able to figure out what is keeping you from playing the game successfully:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

Please read what I have written. There are no prefs.prop files in my trash folder, or anywhere else on my computer, other than in the location specified.

• Thanks Mike, no worries, all done: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0kikm0

I apologize for the confusion. If you only have one prefs.prop file on your computer and you are still experiencing this issue, please run t

@TBlacksmith Please rename the prefs.prop file in

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104

To prefs.prop.bak, and restart the game, and you should be able to progress.

@kolsh Please rename the prefs.prop file in

/Users/Ben iMac/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/

to prefs.prop.bak and restart the game, and you should be able to progress.

Hello, I have the same problem. http://www.sendspace.com/file/t2b9wn

• I tried renaming the file as you suggested, but still no save files are showing up.

@TBlacksmith Please rename the prefs.prop file in \Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104 To prefs.prop.bak, and

After looking over your support tool again, I'm seeing three prefs.prop files inside your

/Users/Ben iMac/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

folder. They are named prefs.prop, prefs.prop.bak, and prefs.prop.orig. Please move the second and third files to your desktop, as well as any other prefs.prop.bak files you may have, and then restart the game.

I tried renaming the file as you suggested, but still no save files are showing up.

• edited March 2014

I've put the prefs.prop.bak file and the prefs.prop.orig file on the desktop, as well as moving the prefs.prop.bak file we just renamed in the Contents/Resources/Pack/default/ folder to the desktop, but still the same issue.

After looking over your support tool again, I'm seeing three prefs.prop files inside your /Users/Ben iMac/Library/Application Support/Tel

I would recommend trying each of the copies of the prefs.prop file that you've made by moving them to the Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/ folder, and renaming them to prefs.prop. One of them may be the correct one. It would be the one with the time stamp from which you last played the game and it saved successfully.

I've put the prefs.prop.bak file and the prefs.prop.orig file on the desktop, as well as moving the prefs.prop.bak file we just renamed in the Contents/Resources/Pack/default/ folder to the desktop, but still the same issue.

• I noticed that every time I tried to take reopen the Walking Dead, those old prefs files would be put back into the folder, until I turned off Steam Cloud Backup for the game. However, even after fixing this, none of the prefs.prop files result in showing up the save files, which leads me to believe that the Steam Cloud sync replaced my old file with one of the new, broken ones at some point along the line. Is there any way to create a new pref.prop file from scratch that will be able to read my save files?

I would recommend trying each of the copies of the prefs.prop file that you've made by moving them to the Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/ fol

Unfortunately if you were unable to use one of your prefs.prop files, your save files will no longer be able to be used. I apologize for any difficulties this may cause you. I recommend starting a new playthrough with Steam Cloud saving disabled, and you will be able to progress successfully.

I noticed that every time I tried to take reopen the Walking Dead, those old prefs files would be put back into the folder, until I turned o

• Maybe the game shouldn't be sold via Steam....thanks for your help Mike, I do appreciate it, but that's a pretty bad bug amongst the multitude of others in this game. Steam Cloud is meant to protect my saves, and in this case, it has wrecked them. For the price of this commercial release, I don't think the technical issues have been properly addressed.

Unfortunately if you were unable to use one of your prefs.prop files, your save files will no longer be able to be used. I apologize for any

• Hi guys

I recently completed episode 4 with Kenny coming with me, upon starting episode 5 I found that Christa, Omid and Kenny were with me. Ben appeared unusual despite he was already dead in episode 4.

[http://www.sendspace.com/file/7ba7z6] (Here is the resulting data)

DjNDB posted: »

please rename the prefs.prop in C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it then move t

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please rename the prefs.prop file in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104

to prefs.prop.bak, and then restart the game, and your saves should be restored.

Blaubart posted: »

Hi guys I recently completed episode 4 with Kenny coming with me, upon starting episode 5 I found that Christa, Omid and Kenny were with

• I followed your instructions but it's still not fixed
    the same as before

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please rename the prefs.prop file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104 to prefs.prop.bak, and then restart the game, and your saves should be restored.

I apologize for any difficulties caused by this. If you have renamed the file, and are still experiencing an issue, could you please run the Support Tool again, and copy and paste the download link to the new file, and I would be glad to take a look and see if there are any other issues present.

I followed your instructions but it's still not fixed the same as before

• edited April 2014

thank you for the fast answer here is the link
    [http://www.sendspace.com/file/2qnwsv](new file)

I apologize for any difficulties caused by this. If you have renamed the file, and are still experiencing an issue, could you please run the

It seems that it may be because that file still exists in a file directory that it shouldn't exist. I suggest deleting that prefs.prop file that you renamed prefs.prop.bak, and then restart the game.

thank you for the fast answer here is the link [http://www.sendspace.com/file/2qnwsv](new file)

• I have deleted it and nothing has changed

It seems that it may be because that file still exists in a file directory that it shouldn't exist. I suggest deleting that prefs.prop file that you renamed prefs.prop.bak, and then restart the game.

If you can, please try rewinding to the previous chapter in Episode 4, and play through the end of the Episode again, and see if you are then able to see the correct characters at the end of the episode.

I have deleted it and nothing has changed

• ok thank you :)

• I've experienced a similar problem. I ended Episode 4 with Christina, Omid, and Kenny. However, when I went to start Chapter 5, it acted like I had gone alone. Also, I can only rewind to Chapter 2 of Episode 4. Tried exiting the game and starting it up again, but no luck. I play on Mac OS X through my steam account. Any help is very much appreciated.

Link to zip file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/781tls

edited April 2014

Please rename the prefs.prop files in

/Users/Anna Cannamela Costello/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead103/

and

/Users/Anna Cannamela Costello/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead104/

to prefs.prop.bak to disable them. Then restart the game, and your saves should be restored.

I've experienced a similar problem. I ended Episode 4 with Christina, Omid, and Kenny. However, when I went to start Chapter 5, it acted lik

• Hey, having the same issues as others, Had Omid, Christa, and Kenny with me at the end of episode 4, now only have Kenny, and I can't say anything to the stranger. Link here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/jsuqlc

My apologies. Please rename the prefs.prop file in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game, and your saves should be restored.

Reille0205 posted: »

Hey, having the same issues as others, Had Omid, Christa, and Kenny with me at the end of episode 4, now only have Kenny, and I can't say anything to the stranger. Link here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/jsuqlc

• I'm playing on my iPad and finished Ep 4 with everyone coming with me (Kenny, Christa, Omid, and Ben). I started Ep 5 and the "Previously On" showed that Kenny insisted on coming with me (even though during the Ep 4 playthrough he was pissed that I saved Ben) and Christa said I'd have to do it without them. Ep 5 started with just Kenny and I, even though, as said, the whole crew had decided to join me. I don't know if I can run the support scripts on my iPad. Help please!

I apologize. Can you please clarify if after completing the episode, that you watched the credits all the way through before closing/exiting the game? The last choice of Episode 4 will not be recorded properly if you exit the game before the credits finish. I recommend rewinding to the chapter/checkpoint before the end of Episode 4, and play through the end of the episode, and make sure to allow the credits all the way through, and your choices should then be correctly recorded. Please also make sure that you are connected to the internet when playing through the end of the episode to ensure your choices are recorded properly.

MrDerp posted: »

I'm playing on my iPad and finished Ep 4 with everyone coming with me (Kenny, Christa, Omid, and Ben). I started Ep 5 and the "Previously O

• Yes, I watched them through. I had already completed the Episode but for whatever reason my iPad didn't recognize it (at one point, before I quit and restarted the game, it asked me to install the episode, even though I already had played it through). When the machine realized it was already installed, I replayed from what I presume to be the last checkpoint in Ep 4, watched the credits through, and went right to Ep 5 which is when the problem came up.

I apologize. Can you please clarify if after completing the episode, that you watched the credits all the way through before closing/exiting

My apologies. My only other suggestion would be to try rewinding a few chapters back in Episode 4, and choose to rewind into a different save slot, then play through Episode 4 all the way, and make sure to watch the credits all the way through, and start Episode 5, and see if your choices are carried over correctly then.

Yes, I watched them through. I had already completed the Episode but for whatever reason my iPad didn't recognize it (at one point, before

• The problem is persisting...when I boot up the game it acts like Ep 4 hasn't been installed, and when I try to install it doesn't work (the message suggests I'm not connected to the internet, but I know for sure that I am). Then I'll quit and the episode shows as installed. Also, I don't see how I can use a new save slot without having the OS randomly generate decisions for me, which is kinda the antithesis of what I want to do.

My apologies. My only other suggestion would be to try rewinding a few chapters back in Episode 4, and choose to rewind into a different sav

My apologies, you can choose your current save slot, and then choose a chapter/checkpoint to rewind to, and then it will ask you if you wish to overwrite your previous save, or save the rewind to a new save slot. You can then choose the new save slot to rewind to, and start the Episode from there.

The problem is persisting...when I boot up the game it acts like Ep 4 hasn't been installed, and when I try to install it doesn't work (the

• I have the same problem (I watched through the credits), everyone was coming with me, and now I'm alone. I tried to search for those files to rename them but I can't find them on my macbook somehow.

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

RoseHammer posted: »

I have the same problem (I watched through the credits), everyone was coming with me, and now I'm alone. I tried to search for those files to rename them but I can't find them on my macbook somehow.

This discussion has been closed.