Walking Dead - Game won't autosave - Mac OSX / Steam

edited November 2013 in Game Support

Hi

Got the game through Steam, playing on Mac OSX Lion, and my save file doesn't update / game won't autosave. My save file hasn't moved from a save near the end of episode 2. I played nearly all through episode 3 twice yesterday - the first time no achievements unlocked and the game crashed after a pause and when i restarted my save file was all the way back at end of episode 2. The second time i played through episode 3, the achievements did unlock, i didn't take a chance pausing the game, but it got late so i decided to close the game. Checked to see if this time it saved and the save file is still stuck on episode 2. Hours of gameplay gone.

I've seen save file workarounds for PC but nothing on Mac, I apologise if this is a common question but i haven't seen my problem described exactly anywhere for Mac.

At the moment i really want to play this game but i don't think i can be bothered if i can't save my decisions and lose hours of game time replaying episodes that didn't save correctly.

TL;DR - Game won't autosave, lost hours replaying through episode 3 twice but game save file isn't updating and is stuck on episode 2 when i load my game.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• Thank you!

link

DjNDB posted: »

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• I have a similar issue, also on OSX (10.7.5) - I played nearly through episode 2 but lost my game to the "corrupted save data" bug others have been getting. I started again and completed episode 1, but upon starting episode 2, my decisions didn't carry over (e.g. Doug was alive; I'd saved Carley and let him die). Rewinding to the "Doug or Carley" chapter (or possibly any chapter) results in a hang on a black screen.

My data is here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/z6qitj

Thank you!

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

-rw-r--r-- 1 kieran staff 19K 3 Nov 22:32 /Users/kieran/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 kieran staff 34K 3 Nov 22:32 /Users/kieran/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop

You have 2 active prefs.prop files.

Please run this script to keep the prefs.prop in the savegame folder, and deactivate the one in the steam folder

Gohda posted: »

Thank you! link

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

-rw-r--r-- 1 tirrus staff 15K Nov 3 23:31 /Users/tirrus/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 tirrus admin 17K Nov 3 23:47 /Applications/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop

You have 2 active prefs.prop files.

Please run this script to keep the prefs.prop in the savegame folder, and deactivate the one in the steam folder

• Thank you so much, rarely have i received this level of support on an official forum, and in a timely manner too. Seriously, great work!

Some questions: so will this script prevent this problem from occuring ever again? Was this an issue with the game, or just the third episiode of the game in particular? should i be keeping an eye on those two locations while i'm playing to make sure that the prefs file doesn't duplicate itself and delete the file if it does?

thanks again! :)

-rw-r--r-- 1 kieran staff 19K 3 Nov 22:32 /Users/kieran/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDe

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

It's an issue with the game, that sometimes happens. The script only fixes it after it has happened, but can't prevent it.
    It doesn't hurt to look every now and then, but each instance can be different so a different fix might be in order.

Gohda posted: »

Thank you so much, rarely have i received this level of support on an official forum, and in a timely manner too. Seriously, great work! So

• Thanks for your reply. I do have two active prefs.prop files, but neither of them is related to Steam. Which should I keep and which should I rename?

-rw-r--r-- 1 tirrus staff 15K Nov 3 23:31 /Users/tirrus/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop -rw-r--r

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    /Users/tirrus/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

Then move the prefs.prop from
    /Applications/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/
    to
    /Users/tirrus/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

You can navigate to the folders by starting Finder, and selecting "Go/Go to Folder..." from the menu or pressing CMD-SHIFT-G, and pasting the path into it.

RollToDont posted: »

Thanks for your reply. I do have two active prefs.prop files, but neither of them is related to Steam. Which should I keep and which should I rename?

• Hi!
    I got the same Problem: No saving after End of Episode 2. Bought the game at MacGameStore.com. The only savefiles/Prefs.prop are located in user/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead. Shall I run the TWD Support Script and post the results or can I run the script that helped Gohda (think it will only work on his filestructure?).
    Thanks in advance!

• Hi. Beg your pardon for the case you get this message twice. But I don´t know if personaly get my post and since you can help I copy the text as a direct "reply".
    Thanks for the help, don´t feel rushed. Regards
    "Hi! I got the same Problem: No saving after End of Episode 2. Bought the game at MacGameStore.com. The only savefiles/Prefs.prop are located in user/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead. Shall I run the TWD Support Script and post the results or can I run the script that helped Gohda (think it will only work on his filestructure?). Thanks in advance!"

It's an issue with the game, that sometimes happens. The script only fixes it after it has happened, but can't prevent it. It doesn't hurt to look every now and then, but each instance can be different so a different fix might be in order.

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

Hello, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply to this email with the download link copied and pasted into this reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, we will be able to assist you further.

snikt! posted: »

Hi! I got the same Problem: No saving after End of Episode 2. Bought the game at MacGameStore.com. The only savefiles/Prefs.prop are locate

• Hello, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply to this email with the downlo

• I'm in the same boat. Beat season 1 episode 1 this afternoon, and when I went to start playing episode 2 none of the choices I made carried over. Please help.

• Here is the link to the TWD_Support file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/qtv1rk

KRider78 posted: »

I'm in the same boat. Beat season 1 episode 1 this afternoon, and when I went to start playing episode 2 none of the choices I made carried over. Please help.

Please rename the prefs.prop file in

/Applications/MacGameStore/Games/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, and start the game again and your saves should now work.

Here´s the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwd10huqxtm5yxq/TWD_support_data_mac.zip Thanks a lot!

/Users/Kevin/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, and start the game again and your saves should now work.

KRider78 posted: »

Here is the link to the TWD_Support file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/qtv1rk

• Thanks, that worked for me. At the next Episode I got the same problem, but all I had to do was to delete a new savefile the game created.
    One more or less funny thing. The link to the file your Support tool created (I used dropbox) got me an email from dropbox. It started like this: "Hi Dropbox User, We've received a notification under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") from AMC Film Holdings LLC that the following material is claimed to be infringing: http://dropbox.com/s/hwd10huqxtm5yxq/TWD_support_data_mac.zip"

They told me to delete the file and everything will be fine, but if I repeatedly use Dropbox to infringe copyrights my account will be terminated.

So, you all better don´t use dropbox for sharing a link to the file that support tool is creating.

Please rename the prefs.prop file in /Applications/MacGameStore/Games/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/ to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, and start the game again and your saves should now work.

Thank you for the extra information. I will make sure to pass it along to the team.

Thanks, that worked for me. At the next Episode I got the same problem, but all I had to do was to delete a new savefile the game created.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

That's interesting, and i spent some time thinking about it. My best guess on what happened is:
    AMC, or rather some company they work with, used a crawler across various websites (like this one) to look for possible infringements based on links containing parts of the filename (TWD) and the names of filesharing services.
    They did not (properly) check the contents of the files though before sending a DMCA notice to dropbox.

Thanks, that worked for me. At the next Episode I got the same problem, but all I had to do was to delete a new savefile the game created.

• I have a similar problem with PC. Purchased the game through Steam. Season one saves fine. Season two won't save or find season one's files for decisions made. I have a redirect to a different server, but again, season one has no issue with it. Would like a fix or a refund.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately if the games are installed in different locations, this may be the cause of the issue you are experiencing. Season Two will look in a specific file directory for Season One save files (C:\Users\Username\Documents\Telltale Games\WalkingDead\)

If it is in a different location, I recommend copying the files here, and then retry importing the save games.
    Vstephenson posted: »

I have a similar problem with PC. Purchased the game through Steam. Season one saves fine. Season two won't save or find season one's files

• There was a recent sale on steam where I got TWD season one and two plus the DLC 400 days. I started playing season one a few days ago without any problems exept my MAC would suddenly restart. Annoying but not a problem. Today when I started the game, all my progress was gone. I was just about to start episode 5.

Here's the link to the TWD_Support file

Please help me

I apologize for the inconvenience. After looking over your support tool information, can you please clarify if you ever moved, deleted, or altered any of the game's files before running the support tool?

xAeonFlux posted: »

There was a recent sale on steam where I got TWD season one and two plus the DLC 400 days. I started playing season one a few days ago witho

• Oh, I totally forgot that I tried to do the prefs.prop.bak. Anyway, I changed the name of the file back to prefs.prop and ran the support tool again.

New TWD_Support file

Hope this didn't cause too much trouble!

I apologize for the inconvenience. After looking over your support tool information, can you please clarify if you ever moved, deleted, or altered any of the game's files before running the support tool?

My apologies, unfortunately the prefs.prop file in your The Walking Dead file structure does not seem to be the right size for a full play through. Unfortunately if you ever closed/exited the game, or your computer shut down/restarted while an autosave or loading sequence was occurring, your save file may have become corrupted. Unfortunately if this is the case, you will have to create a new save file and start a new game. I apologize for any difficulties this may cause you.

xAeonFlux posted: »

Oh, I totally forgot that I tried to do the prefs.prop.bak. Anyway, I changed the name of the file back to prefs.prop and ran the support tool again. New TWD_Support file Hope this didn't cause too much trouble!

• Having a similar issue on mac. I've completed the game through Ep. 5 twice, but the save won't update; every time I relaunch it makes me continue from about halfway through Ep. 4. I just purchased Season 2 and want my decisions to carry over, but I don't want to have to re-play ep. 5 over and over and over.

Here's the link to my support file:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/8x85xt

edited July 2014

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please rename the prefs.prop files in

/Users/Charles/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/

and

/Users/Charles/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead105/

to prefs.prop.bak to disable them, and restart the game, and your save files should be restored.

Having a similar issue on mac. I've completed the game through Ep. 5 twice, but the save won't update; every time I relaunch it makes me con

• This may be a different problem, when I started the game via Steam today, all my settings (full screen, resolution, etc.) and saves were missing. There are still many .save files in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Telltale\ Games/TheWalkingDead/, that's the only folder with a prefs.prop file and renaming it did nothing. Here's my support file: http://cognize.org/temp/support_data_mac.zip Don't know if this is normal or not but in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The\ Walking\ Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/ I have folders for episodes 1 through 5 but instead of a folder for WalkingDead106 I have a symlink of that name pointing at a folder of that name that doesn't exist. According to my Steam Achievements, I've completed through chapter 4 of Episode 4.
    My apologies, please try renaming the prefs.prop file in /Users/cwcx/Desktop/TheWalkingDead/ to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game and your saves should be restored.
    extra808 posted: »

This may be a different problem, when I started the game via Steam today, all my settings (full screen, resolution, etc.) and saves were mis

• ~/Desktop/TheWalkingDead/ was just a backup copy I made of ~/Library/Application\ Support/Telltale\ Games/TheWalkingDead/. As I wrote, I already tried renaming prefs.prop in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Telltale\ Games/TheWalkingDead/ to prefs.prop.bak but I just tried it again and my saved game still isn't listed when I click Play within the game.

My apologies, please try renaming the prefs.prop file in /Users/cwcx/Desktop/TheWalkingDead/ to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game and your saves should be restored.

I apologize. If you have Cloud Saves enabled, and your Steam Client ever switched to Offline Mode, your prefs.prop file may have been overwritten. If you have an extra prefs.prop file, please try replacing the one inside your /Telltale Games/The Walking Dead/ folder, and rename the other prefs.prop file to prefs.prop.back, then restart the game, and see if you are then able to see your saves. Unfortunately if neither of the prefs.prop files work, then unfortunately your save files may have become corrupted, and if this is the case, you will need to delete your saves and start a new game. My apologies for any difficulties this has caused you.

~/Desktop/TheWalkingDead/ was just a backup copy I made of ~/Library/Application\ Support/Telltale\ Games/TheWalkingDead/. As I wrote, I alr

• Thank you so much! You are a lifesaver... err... game-saver. Season One is easily one of my favorite single-player games of all time, but this issue was so frustrating that it was sucking the fun out of the game for me. I have never had such a quick, professional, and helpful experience with support for a game. Obviously it would be best if the bug/issue that caused it wasn't there, but short of being truly infallible, you're doing the next best work. :) You rock, Mike.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please rename the prefs.prop files in /Users/Charles/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/commo

• Thank you, I restored TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop from a Time Machine backup. The save is from somewhere in Episode 2 but it's better than starting from the very beginning.

I apologize. If you have Cloud Saves enabled, and your Steam Client ever switched to Offline Mode, your prefs.prop file may have been overwr

• Thank you, I restored TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop from a Time Machine backup. The save is from somewhere in Episode 2 but it's better than starting from the very beginning.

I apologize. If you have Cloud Saves enabled, and your Steam Client ever switched to Offline Mode, your prefs.prop file may have been overwr

My sincerest apologies. Thank you for replying how you were able to resolve your issue. I hope you enjoy the game!

Thank you, I restored TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop from a Time Machine backup. The save is from somewhere in Episode 2 but it's better than starting from the very beginning.

• Hi, I'm having the same autosave problem in the first walking dead game. I followed the instructions and here is my download link.
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/prs9xa

/Users/tanyathorpe/Desktop/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game, and your save files should be restored.

porsha16 posted: »

Hi, I'm having the same autosave problem in the first walking dead game. I followed the instructions and here is my download link. https://www.sendspace.com/file/prs9xa

• Hi guys.

Having the same issue (PC, Steam). Game won't autosave. Keeps wanting to restart at the end of Season 1, Episode 2. I've uploaded the file generated from the TWD tool below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q87p7zv1annbld3/TWD_support_data_pc.zip

edited November 2014

I apologize for the delayed response. Please rename the prefs.prop file in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game, and your save file should be restored.

nikiwu posted: »

Hi guys. Having the same issue (PC, Steam). Game won't autosave. Keeps wanting to restart at the end of Season 1, Episode 2. I've upl

This discussion has been closed.