The Walking Dead Season 2 save files gone/won't load?

edited May 2014 in Game Support
So, with the release of episode 3, I tried to play the game, but however it would not load my past saves from the previous episodes/season. It was empty. When I went to the save file location, though, in Users/USERNAME/Documents/Telltale Games/ it was all there. The game just isn't opening them.

What do?

I ran the support tool and you can find that file here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/aisu60

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff
    I apologize, please check if you have Steam cloud saves enabled. (You can check this by right clicking on the game in your Steam library, clicking properties, and click the updates tab. Near the bottom of the page, you can see if the Steam cloud is enabled for The Walking Dead: Season 2.) If it is enabled, does disabling it, and restarting Steam allow you to access your saves?
  • I tried loading it with Steam Cloud enabled off the bat, and that was a no go. I disabled it, and tried again, and still nothing. Steam Cloud doesn't affect it at all.

I apologize, please check if you have Steam cloud saves enabled. (You can check this by right clicking on the game in your Steam library, cl

My apologies. If you haven't yet, I recommend reading over this thread on Importing your Season One data on a PC/Mac here:

www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/53784/season-2-save-import-faq-please-read
    LoveXombie posted: »

I tried loading it with Steam Cloud enabled off the bat, and that was a no go. I disabled it, and tried again, and still nothing. Steam Cloud doesn't affect it at all.

• It had imported my Season 1 data before. I had even played the first 2 episodes. It's just not loading my saves now, even though I can see them all on my computer.

My apologies. If you haven't yet, I recommend reading over this thread on Importing your Season One data on a PC/Mac here: www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/53784/season-2-save-import-faq-please-read

If you can, could you please run the support tool file again after you have disabled Steam Cloud saves, and I should be able to assist you with your particular issue.

It had imported my Season 1 data before. I had even played the first 2 episodes. It's just not loading my saves now, even though I can see them all on my computer.

• I am having the exact same problem. Saves are in the game directory, but won't load in game.
  • Here is my support tool link: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/bed7c953
  • Here is the support tool after the cloud saves have been disabled: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1gv7h6

If you can, could you please run the support tool file again after you have disabled Steam Cloud saves, and I should be able to assist you with your particular issue.

• Still needing help!

Here is the support tool after the cloud saves have been disabled: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1gv7h6

• edited May 2014
    I'm having the same problem. My save files are in the proper spot, but aren't being loaded by the game.The My Choices section is locked and the Saves are all empty.

I'm pretty sure that I rebuilt my computer in between episodes 2 and 3. I backed up my files before doing that though, and I restored them to the right spot afterwards.

I've also tried disabing the Steam Cloud saves, but that didn't help.

I'd run the support tool, but I'm not seeing any links in the posts above.

It seems that you have two prefs.prop files associated with The Walking Dead: Season Two. One is located in

X:\Users\Monster\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead Season Two

and

Q:\Docusave\Documents\telltale games\The Walking Dead Season Two

I recommend looking at both of the files, and seeing which one has the time associated with it from when you last successfully played the game, and renaming the other prefs.prop file to prefs.prop.bak to disable it. Then start the game, and your saves should be restored.

Still needing help!

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply to this email with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

f3rret posted: »

I'm having the same problem. My save files are in the proper spot, but aren't being loaded by the game.The My Choices section is locked and

edited May 2014

I apologize for the inconvenience, unfortunately we were unable to download your support tool file. Please try uploading it to the suggested file hosting website (www.sendspace.com), and we will then be able to assist you further.

Here is my support tool link: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/bed7c953

• Okay, here is the new link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/r4pdwj
    Thanks again!

I apologize for the inconvenience, unfortunately we were unable to download your support tool file. Please try uploading it to the suggested file hosting website (www.sendspace.com), and we will then be able to assist you further.

Please check if you have Steam cloud saves enabled. (You can check this by right clicking on the game in your Steam library, clicking properties, and click the updates tab. Near the bottom of the page, you can see if the Steam cloud is enabled for The Walking Dead: Season 2.) If it is enabled, does disabling it, and restarting Steam allow you to access your saves?

Okay, here is the new link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/r4pdwj Thanks again!

• That was exactly it! THANK YOU SO MUCH

It seems that you have two prefs.prop files associated with The Walking Dead: Season Two. One is located in X:\Users\Monster\Documents\Te

You're welcome, I hope you enjoy the game!!

That was exactly it! THANK YOU SO MUCH

• No. I have tried that several times. The saves exist in my directory, but do not come up in-game.

Please check if you have Steam cloud saves enabled. (You can check this by right clicking on the game in your Steam library, clicking proper

edited May 2014

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please disable the Steam Cloud Saves, start the game then exit the game, and then re-run the Support Tool file, and reply here with your newly uploaded support tool information, and I should be able to assist you with your issue.

No. I have tried that several times. The saves exist in my directory, but do not come up in-game.

• I ran the support tool and sent the results to you in a PM.

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply t

After looking over your support tool information, it seems that your game's save files are not in the correct position. Game save files are installed to, and must be located in

C:\Users\%Username%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead Season Two\

to be read correctly. Your file extension for the above location starts with \stewie\ instead of C:. Can you please clarify if you are using a server or external network to hold your save files?

I ran the support tool and sent the results to you in a PM.

• edited June 2014

Yup, I moved my user profile to a server... I'll manually create that folder and I'll see if the game can see it.

Is there any way for me to change where the game stores the save files?

EDIT: I manually created the folder, moved the saved files back, and it still doesn't see my saved games. I disabled the Steam Cloud integration and still no love... I'll try disabling my folder redirection and we'll see if that works.

After looking over your support tool information, it seems that your game's save files are not in the correct position. Game save files are

• Okay, I disabled folder sync, moved all my stuff back, and it works. Thanks!

Yup, I moved my user profile to a server... I'll manually create that folder and I'll see if the game can see it. Is there any way for me

• Same issue here - i messed up my user folders and ended up merging the document and download folders. seems i'm missing the registry key? Any help would be appreciated!

Install Location: Registry key missing
    Found install folders:
    Profile folder: C:\Users\Andrew

Documents folder: C:\Users\Andrew\Documents

prefs.prop in user profile:
    Volume in drive C is SSD
    Volume Serial Number is 52E7-0B37

Directory of C:\Users\Andrew\Documents\telltale games\The Walking Dead Season Two

04/06/2014 12:30 1,261 prefs.prop
    1 File(s) 1,261 bytes

Directory of C:\Users\Andrew\Documents\telltale games\the wolf among us

01/06/2014 23:44 1,056 prefs.prop
    1 File(s) 1,056 bytes

Total Files Listed:
               2 File(s)          2,317 bytes

0 Dir(s) 37,600,210,944 bytes free

prefs.prop in found install locations:

Savegame folder content:
    Volume in drive C is SSD

Volume Serial Number is 52E7-0B37

PUBLIC Savegame folder content:

You're welcome, enjoy the game!

Okay, I disabled folder sync, moved all my stuff back, and it works. Thanks!

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

likwidboy posted: »

Same issue here - i messed up my user folders and ended up merging the document and download folders. seems i'm missing the registry key? A

• I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply h

edited June 2014

After looking over your Support Tool information, there doesn't seem to be any save files in your

C:\Users\%Username%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead Season Two\ file directory.

Your save files will look like saveslot_checkpoint.bundle files. You should have a certain number of them depending on how many episodes you have played. If you can find them, please move them to the specified file directory above, along with the prefs.prop file that is with the save files. (You may need to replace any prefs.prop files that are already existing in the above file location.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6a4ceHoNOyqN3ptVjN0cElaR1U/edit?usp=sharing thanks Mike

• weird. when i search for that file type, all i can see are TWAU files- there is nothing in the corresponding walking dead TWD folder. I have completed the episodes so far (and have the steam achievements to prove it!) but all my save files have vanished :(
    guess i'll start again (good excuse to replay)

After looking over your Support Tool information, there doesn't seem to be any save files in your C:\Users\%Username%\Documents\Telltale

I apologize I could not assist you further. I hope you are able to enjoy the game!

weird. when i search for that file type, all i can see are TWAU files- there is nothing in the corresponding walking dead TWD folder. I hav

• oh man this is getting weird. so i found the old walking dead season 2 folder on my other internal drive in a weird place. i copied the files and this is what i'm getting now

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6a4ceHoNOyqQ3p3NW5ldS1EX2M/edit?usp=sharing

when i load the game, my choices are still locked out, but there is a saved game dated march 2013!!!

Can you please clarify if you played The Walking Dead: Season Two in a Compatibility Mode? If so, you may need to start the game in that particular compatibility mode in order to see your save data and choices properly.

oh man this is getting weird. so i found the old walking dead season 2 folder on my other internal drive in a weird place. i copied the file

• thanks for all your help Mike, you're a gentleman and a scholar, i manged to sort it using the file history restore option in Win 8 in the end. who knew windows 8 had such a useful feature?!!

Can you please clarify if you played The Walking Dead: Season Two in a Compatibility Mode? If so, you may need to start the game in that particular compatibility mode in order to see your save data and choices properly.

Thank you for posting the extra information, and how you were able to solve your issue. I hope you enjoy the game!

thanks for all your help Mike, you're a gentleman and a scholar, i manged to sort it using the file history restore option in Win 8 in the end. who knew windows 8 had such a useful feature?!!

• Hi,

I am also having a save game issue. For some reason I have a save file from march 2013 but
    I never played the game then or had it on my system. Everytime I try to continue my game, it
    says unable to find content/save and I have to restart the game from the very beginning.
    However, in the chapter selection menu, it shows the various chapters/sections that I have gotten to.

Still, it tries to load a save game from season 1 everytime and says unable to find the save. Then I click
    "Ok" and play season 2 - it restarts the game from the very beginning.

I've also gotten random freezes and the BSOD a couple of times while in game. Not sure why or how.

What's going on?

Thanks, below is my support file.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/iihj6o

Thank you for posting the extra information, and how you were able to solve your issue. I hope you enjoy the game!

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please rename the prefs.prop file located in

C:\Users\naavj_000\Desktop\The Walking Dead Season Two

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, and your saves should be restored.

naavjames posted: »

Hi, I am also having a save game issue. For some reason I have a save file from march 2013 but I never played the game then or had it on

• Hello, I am running the game on a Mac, and I recently updated my Hard Drive to a Solid State Drive, and I have a backup of my old Walking Dead Season 2 game on a external Hard Drive. Now, when I reinstalled with steam, the steam cloud pulled over my walking dead season 1 files just fine, and the saves are all updated, but for some reason, it did not pull over the files from season 2. So I went into the library/application support/telltale games folder on my old backup and copied the save files over from there, and tried running it, and yet it seems to show that I have only got to the second chapter, when I have completed up through the entirety of episode 3. Any suggestions? I'm not sure where to run this support tool, and I don't know if there is a different prefs.prop file saved somewhere else.

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further. (Running the tool from the desktop, or the folder it downloads to, should work fine)

pschwaab posted: »

Hello, I am running the game on a Mac, and I recently updated my Hard Drive to a Solid State Drive, and I have a backup of my old Walking De

• Hi I'm having the same issue, I turned off steam cloud and tried again, the problem remained. I have run the tool https://www.sendspace.com/file/o5apem Hopefully you can help me.

• Still waiting for a reply to this issue.

This discussion has been closed.