'Rewind Feature' risk?

I recently finished Episode 4 of The Walking Dead, Season 2. However, I am unhappy with a dialogue choice I made near the beginning and I am thinking about rewinding to fix it.

The thing is, rewinding in the original Walking Dead game and The Wolf Among Us has caused me problems, such as some dialogue choices being changed to silence options, some major choices being deleted and randomized as different choices, and overall general buggy-ness.

What I want to know is, do I have this same risk in The Walking Dead, Season 2? By rewinding and clicking 'restart episode' for Episode 4 on a copied save file it deleted the descision to cut Sarita's arm off and re-rolled it as me choosing to kill the walker that bit her, but this didn't seem to be a problem when clicking a specific chapter, though I don't know if there are any other potential side effects.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Will my original save files still work if I back them up and then use them again in case things go wrong? I would assume that won't be a problem but, with all due respect, these games have been kinda unpredictable when it comes to bugs in the past.

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. Please note that choosing to 'Restart Episode' in a new blank save slot, will restart the episode, with randomized choices for the previous episodes. If you wish to restart the episode in a new save slot, and keep your choices, you will need to rewind to the last chapter/checkpoint in the previous episode (for you, Episode 3) and play through the end, and then start Episode 4, and you will be able to make that alternate dialogue choice in the beginning of the episode.

• Thanks for the response. What I'm wondering is, what if I rewind to the first CHAPTER in Episode 4 (without clicking Restart, just selecting the first chapter so the recap is skipped), and save that over my current save rather than as a copy. Will my choices all be ok?

I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. Please note that choosing to 'Restart Episode' in a new blank save slot, will restar

Yes, you should be able to rewind to just the first chapter, and all of your choices prior to that chapter/checkpoint will be safe inside that save slot/save file.

• edited July 2014

Cool, thanks so much for the help!

I have one last question: if I backup all the files from "C:/Documents/TellTale Games/The Walking Dead Season Two", will everything go back to the way it was if I change my mind and want my old save back? I mean like, if I replaced all the files with the older ones will it just be as though I never rewinded the game?

I'm on the Steam version by the way, not sure if that's of any significance.

Yes, you should be able to rewind to just the first chapter, and all of your choices prior to that chapter/checkpoint will be safe inside that save slot/save file.

Yes, you should be able to back up your save files, then rewind the game, and play through a different way. If you choose to use your previous saves, just replace the existing saves with your backups, and your previous choice should be restored.

Jamwig posted: »

Cool, thanks so much for the help! I have one last question: if I backup all the files from "C:/Documents/TellTale Games/The Walking Dead

• Awesome. Thanks again!

Yes, you should be able to back up your save files, then rewind the game, and play through a different way. If you choose to use your previous saves, just replace the existing saves with your backups, and your previous choice should be restored.

You're welcome, enjoy the game!

Jamwig posted: »

Awesome. Thanks again!

• That's not working for me. I played through episode 2 of season 2 (on a PS3) and didn't like one of the choices I made and wanted to change it. So I rewound to that point and played to the end of the chapter only to find that not only were all the choices blanked out, but the "choices" option on the main menu was locked (when I selected the save file I was using to play the rewound game).

Frustrated, I rewound again using a different save file. This time only some of the choices were displayed at the end.

I then rewound to the beginning of the chapter and played to about the halfway point, only to find - when I went to the main menu - my choices were still messed up (with at least one or two missing from episode 1).

This is really frustrating for me as it takes awhile to play through an episode and I just want to proceed to episode 3. Any ideas?

My apologies. If you ever rewound to the beginning of an episode on a blank slot, your previous choices before that episode would have been randomized. If you chose to rewind to a chapter/checkpoint, your choices should not have changed or altered. Can you please clarify if you have started the game recently while connected to the internet to ensure you have the latest update available for the game?

nyrB posted: »

That's not working for me. I played through episode 2 of season 2 (on a PS3) and didn't like one of the choices I made and wanted to change

• Yes - very recently. The issues started happening 2 days ago and continued yesterday.

Just to clarify: whenever I rewind (whether to a specific chapter or the beginning of an episode), the game asks me to pick a new save slot (or overwrite an existing one). I was under the impression that if I did that, the choices made up to that point would be preserved. That seemed to be the case up till a couple of days ago.

For me, it's not a question of choices being randomized or different. They're just plain missing. In one case, I completed the 2nd chapter and was presented with the results of one choice from that chapter and no choices from chapter 1. I expected to see all the choices from both chapters.

And to be really clear, what's missing is their presentation on the "choices" screen (where my choices are compared with those of the internet). I am assuming that - internally - the game has recorded some sort of choice.

My apologies. If you ever rewound to the beginning of an episode on a blank slot, your previous choices before that episode would have been

Please try disabling any anti-virus or internet firewall programs open and running that may be blocking the game's communications with our servers, then restart the game while connected to the internet, and your choices should then be updated to show correctly.

Yes - very recently. The issues started happening 2 days ago and continued yesterday. Just to clarify: whenever I rewind (whether to a s

• I wasn't aware the PS3 had any anti-virus programs or firewalls. At least not that the user has any control over. Is there something I'm missing? I've restarted the game several times while connected to the internet -- the result has always been the same, sadly.

Please try disabling any anti-virus or internet firewall programs open and running that may be blocking the game's communications with our s

Apologies for my confusion, for PS3, you will only need to turn off the console, and then restart it, and start the game while connected tothe internet. Unfortunately if that option did not resolve your issue, your save files may have become corrupted, and you may need to delete your saves and start a new game.

I wasn't aware the PS3 had any anti-virus programs or firewalls. At least not that the user has any control over. Is there something I'm m

• Ok I did what you said. I have 4 save files. After restarting the PS3, there was no change.

save file 1: saved after chapter one. looks fine ("my choices" shows all 5 decisions from chapter one), but when I tried continuing the game from that save file, I got the following:

save file 2: saved after continuing from save file 1 and part-way through chapter 2. "my choices" shows only 4 decisions -- there should be 6. All of them are shown under the heading "chapter 1" and only 3 are decisions from chapter 1.

save file 3: saved after completing chapter 2. "my choices" shows only 9 choices -- the very first one is missing.

save file 4: saved after completing chapter 2. only a single choice is shown in "my choices" - the very last choice. it's like the others were all wiped out (this save file is from a game rewound to about the half-way point of chapter 2)

my problem now is that sure i can erase these save files and start all over again and play through the same two chapters all over again. but how can i be sure these files aren't just going to get corrupt again? it's funny, because i never had these issues with the first season of the game. i absolutely love this game, but it's becoming very frustrating :(

Apologies for my confusion, for PS3, you will only need to turn off the console, and then restart it, and start the game while connected tot

Can you please clarify if you are playing through the game using one save slot, or multiple? If you are using multiple save slots to play through the game, I would recommend try using only one save slot, and you should not run into this issue again.

Ok I did what you said. I have 4 save files. After restarting the PS3, there was no change. save file 1: saved after chapter one. look

• edited August 2014

I was using mutiple save slots -- whenever you rewind you're asked to use a new save slot (or overwrite an existing one). I usually chose to use a new one, so I could preserve the original. After all, if I use a single save slot and that somehow gets buggered up, I have nothing to fall back on.

Can you please clarify if you are playing through the game using one save slot, or multiple? If you are using multiple save slots to play through the game, I would recommend try using only one save slot, and you should not run into this issue again.

My apologies for any difficulties this has caused. Unfortunately my only other suggestion would be to delete your save files, and start a new game using only a single save slot. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. I will make sure to pass the information you provided, along to the team for further investigation.

I was using mutiple save slots -- whenever you rewind you're asked to use a new save slot (or overwrite an existing one). I usually chose t

• I deleted 3 of the slots and "rewound" from the remaining save slot so i could create a new save (I don't want to bugger up my one remaining good save slot). So now I have 2 -- they both seem ok for now (fingers crossed). Thanks for passing the info along -- I'm sure I can't be the only one who has had this problem.

My apologies for any difficulties this has caused. Unfortunately my only other suggestion would be to delete your save files, and start a ne

We have had reports from a small amount of players experiencing this issue, and are currently looking further into the root cause of the issue. I apologize for the inconvenience, and hope you are now able to enjoy the game!

I deleted 3 of the slots and "rewound" from the remaining save slot so i could create a new save (I don't want to bugger up my one remaining

This discussion has been closed.