The Walking Dead S1 Ep2 Ch1 - Black screen glitch.

Whenever I try to load my save I just get a black screen. I already looked if there were more than one prefs.prop files but I could only find one in "My Documents". Also tried placing the file somewhere else but when I did it just made a new one and it couldn't find my saves.

Here are the files from the support tool:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/qwc7ly

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. After looking over your support tool information, it does not look to be an issue with multiple prefs.prop files. Can you please clarify if you have Steam Cloud Syncing enabled for The Walking Dead?

• I had it enabled when the problem occurred. I also tried it with Steam Cloud Synching disabled but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

My apologies, please try disabling Steam Cloud Syncing, and then run the Support Tool again, and I may be able to find the file that is causing this issue.

I had it enabled when the problem occurred. I also tried it with Steam Cloud Synching disabled but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

• I had the same issue except mine happened in S1 Ep5 only a little bit before the end, which sucks because I wanted to finish it so I could record Season 2:( I don't know if this would make a difference in the possible reason for it not working, but I'd played a good amount of it on a trip I took and I did it on my laptop and got home, synced it with Steam Cloud and tried to play it on my desktop and that's when it stopped working. That'd be awesome if you could get it working for me again:)
    Here's the link to the diagnostic file from the support tool: https://www.sendspace.com/file/if8ter
    Thanks

I apologize for the inconvenience. After looking over your support tool, everything seems to be correct. If you have already synced with your Steam Cloud, and you can see your save games properly in-game, I recommend disabling Steam Cloud Syncing, and starting the game, and see if your issue is resolved. If not, please run the Support Tool file one more time after disabling Steam Cloud Syncing, and reply with the download link to the new Support Tool file, and I will be able to assist you further.

gamrman posted: »

I had the same issue except mine happened in S1 Ep5 only a little bit before the end, which sucks because I wanted to finish it so I could r

• чё с игрой

• Lee dead fuck

Can you please clarify if you are experiencing a black screen issue with the game?

• The support tool data is from after I already disabled Steam Cloud syncing. Disabling the syncing didn't fix it:/ Now I'm just straight up worried that I'll have to play the whole game over again. Is there anything else you can do? Like if I sent you my save file would you be able to do anything with it to fix it or replicate it with all my decisions still intact? Also thank you for your quick response.:)

I apologize for the inconvenience. After looking over your support tool, everything seems to be correct. If you have already synced with you

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any error files causing this issue. It may be due to the Steam Cloud Syncing experiencing an error. Can you please clarify if you were connected to the internet when you were playing on your Laptop?

The support tool data is from after I already disabled Steam Cloud syncing. Disabling the syncing didn't fix it:/ Now I'm just straight up w

• I was not connected to the internet for most of the time I was playing on my laptop. I was connected to the internet for maybe 1 episode and the rest not.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any error files causing this issue. It may be due to the Steam Cl

edited July 2014

My apologies, unfortunately I was not able to find a corrupt file, but if you can, please do a search on your computer for prefs.prop. You should only have one copy of this file in your save game directory. If you find another copy elsewhere, this needs to be removed. Usually this duplicate file can be found in either a Gamedata folder adjacent to your save directory, or in your installation folder. If you are playing on Steam, you will need to find the Walking Dead game data within your Steam installation folder. If you remove this prefs file, but still experience the issue, then it's possible the duplicate file is being recognized instead of the prefs in your save directory. Please take the duplicate file and move it into your save folder (which will overwrite the existing file). You may want to back-up both of these files before attempting this process, just in case.

Unfortunately, if this does not resolve your issue, then your prefs file has most likely been corrupted. This is rare, but can happen if the save is compromised (for example, if the game crashes during an autosave, or if the game is closed using Task Manager). If this is the case, then the corrupted prefs can no longer be used and should be deleted from the file system.

I was not connected to the internet for most of the time I was playing on my laptop. I was connected to the internet for maybe 1 episode and the rest not.

• I just went back on my laptop and the prefs.prop file on there is still undamaged, is there a specific way that I should go about transferring it to my desktop?

My apologies, unfortunately I was not able to find a corrupt file, but if you can, please do a search on your computer for prefs.prop. You s

• what do you mean

Can you please clarify if you are experiencing a black screen issue with the game?

This discussion thread was created by someone experiencing a black screen issue with the game. If you are not experiencing a similar issue, and would like to discuss the game in general, please do so in the Walking Dead General Discussion Forum.

what do you mean

• Is there any way to transfer the saves and the prefs.prop file from one computer to another without using the cloud? Would I just move the prefs.prop file and all the save files onto the destination computer?

My apologies, unfortunately I was not able to find a corrupt file, but if you can, please do a search on your computer for prefs.prop. You s

You can try copying the whole 'The Walking Dead' folder from

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\

and then pasting it into the exact same location on your destination computer, and see if your saves can be read that way.

Is there any way to transfer the saves and the prefs.prop file from one computer to another without using the cloud? Would I just move the prefs.prop file and all the save files onto the destination computer?

• OH MY GOD!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! That fixed it and I'm back where I was before!!! Thank you so much for your help:)

You can try copying the whole 'The Walking Dead' folder from C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\ and then pasting it into the exact same location on your destination computer, and see if your saves can be read that way.

You're welcome, I hope you enjoy the game!!

OH MY GOD!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! That fixed it and I'm back where I was before!!! Thank you so much for your help:)

This discussion has been closed.