All Telltale games crashing on startup - suggested fixes don't work

I can't get any of my telltale games to launch without immediately crashing. Specifically, The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead and TWD2. They all have the same issue, launch the game, screen goes black for a second or two, and then terminates the process, exits without an error message.

I have tried setting compatibility modes including run as admin, Win98/ME mode, 640x480 colours, disable high DPI, etc. I have tried placing the dinput8.dll in the same directory as the TheWolfAmongUs.exe (this one: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/comment/682670#Comment_682670). I have tried multiple video drivers, latest WHQL and Beta. I am running Win8 x64.

I have disabled steam overlays, and I have verified the game cache files too.

Here is the your support troubleshooting tool output https://www.sendspace.com/file/7er64u. Look forward to hearing how to fix this, it appears I am not the only person with all these issues judging my the many similar threads I have seen here :(

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please remove the dinput8.dll file if you already haven't, as it will cause the game to crash if you are currently running Windows 8.1. After removing this file, you should try all of the potential solutions you have already tried, without the .dll file, as they may resolve your issue.

If you are still unable to start the games successfully, your Capture device you have connected to your computer may also be causing an issue. I recommend either disconnecting or disabling it, and then start the games again, and see if this resolves your issue.

• Hi Mike, I have removed the dinput8.dll file and retested and still doesn't work. As for capture devices, which one are you referring to? there is a webcam and an avermedia DVB-T digital TV tuner which both could appear as capture devices, removing the webcam doesn't fix it, and the DVB-T digital TV card is PCI and I can't remove it, as I kinda use it... i tried temporarily disabling it in device manager and that didn't fix it either.

Any other suggested fixes, or am I better off requesting my money back from steam?

Thanks,
    Ben

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please remove the dinput8.dll file if you already haven't, as it will cause the game to crash if you are

My only other suggestion would be to try disabling any anti-virus or internet firewall programs open and running that may be blocking the game's communication with our servers, and try starting the game again. Unfortunately if that does not work, I would have to recommend contacting Steam Support for further assistance, or a refund request. Again, my apologies for any difficulties this has caused you.

Big_W posted: »

Hi Mike, I have removed the dinput8.dll file and retested and still doesn't work. As for capture devices, which one are you referring to?

• Thanks Mike, have disabled those too and still no luck. Shame, was really looking forward to playing the games. Oh well as long as steam provide a refund, I'll grab them on the PS4, at least it plays games without requiring troubleshooting :)

Cheers,
    Ben

My only other suggestion would be to try disabling any anti-virus or internet firewall programs open and running that may be blocking the ga

• Also, don't know if it helps, but this is the crash from event viewer...

Faulting application name: TheWolfAmongUs.exe, version: 2013.11.14.26331, time stamp: 0x52856dfc
    Faulting module name: TheWolfAmongUs.exe, version: 2013.11.14.26331, time stamp: 0x52856dfc
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x001309c2
    Faulting process id: 0x2628
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cfb20cdf3c32c3
    Faulting application path: E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Wolf Among Us\TheWolfAmongUs.exe
    Faulting module path: E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Wolf Among Us\TheWolfAmongUs.exe
    Report Id: 1d6a418e-1e00-11e4-8269-00012e265073
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

My only other suggestion would be to try disabling any anti-virus or internet firewall programs open and running that may be blocking the ga

Thank you for providing the extra information, I will make sure to pass it along to the team.

Big_W posted: »

Also, don't know if it helps, but this is the crash from event viewer... Faulting application name: TheWolfAmongUs.exe, version: 2013.11.

• Mine is doing the same thing except mine is on my ipad. It worked not that long ago and I went to check it out today and it crashes every time. Is there a solution on my ipad to fix this? Thanks

If you are experiencing crashing on your iOS device, please close the game and all other applications running in the background. This should free up necessary system resources. (To close an app running in the background on iOS 6 and before: double tap the home button to make all running apps appear at the bottom of the screen, hold down on an app you wish to close and red buttons will appear, tap the red buttons to close the apps. If on iOS 7, double tap the home button and swipe up on the open apps to close them) Also, please turn off your iOS device for at least three minutes before attempting to play the game again. This will allow the device’s cache to clear.

Then after restarting your device, please reset the WiFi by turning the WiFi Settings Off, and back On again. Then try starting the game application again, and see if you are able to play the game successfully.

• Thank you that worked:)

If you are experiencing crashing on your iOS device, please close the game and all other applications running in the background. This shoul

You're welcome, enjoy the game!

Onrykiten posted: »

Thank you that worked:)

• I have the same problem after an update of WDS2 to episode 5 :(

I apologize for the inconvenience. Below are a few possible solutions:

1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for both your graphics card, and your computer’s BIOS

2) Restart your system

3) Unplug your gamepad (and all other USB devices other than keyboard/mouse) and plug in headphones to the audio out jack.

4) Verify your cache if you purchased through Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

5) Run the game as admin

6) Run the game in compatibility mode (right click on game, click properties, click compatibility tab , and we recommend running the game in Windows 98/ME ) (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

7) Reinstall the game

8) Make sure that the Steam application is not set to a compatibility mode (right click on steam and click properties, then check compatibility, and make sure that it is not checked to play in a different OS)

9) Disable Steam Overlay, if you purchased through Steam (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3168263)

10) Opt out of the Steam Beta, if you purchased through Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828934424165581080/)

Vaneras posted: »

I have the same problem after an update of WDS2 to episode 5

This discussion has been closed.