Problems with start up...

So, I downloaded 'The Walking Dead'

I ran it, fiddled around with the settings, and after changing the resolution whenever I start the game up I get a full, black screen for a few seconds, followed by a white box taking up the majority of the screen.

Here's my Support Tool thing

And this is a gif of what I'm on about

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank/black screen, please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the shortcut (Alt+Enter for PC) and see if you are then able to see the game correctly. If so, please then try changing the game's resolution and/or graphics settings to a lower setting, and click Apply. Then try switching back to Full Screen Mode by using the same shortcut, and your issue should then be resolved.

• Alt+Enter hasn't done anything, if you see on the gif it doesn't actually get stuck in fullscreen, which I think that's what your solution's for.

I'm not even hearing sound, and today I uninstalled and redownloaded it, but nothing. I wish it were that simple, and from what I've googled, nobody else has had the same issue

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank/black screen, please try switching the gam

I apologize for the inconvenience. If you are still experiencing the issue after attempting to change the graphics settings in Windowed Mode, you may need to manually delete your preferences file from the game's file directory. To do this, please open the following folder location:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

Then delete the prefs.prop file from within this folder, and start the game again, and your preferences should be returned to default, and you should be able to see the game again.

Alt+Enter hasn't done anything, if you see on the gif it doesn't actually get stuck in fullscreen, which I think that's what your solution's

• Nope, still didn't work...

The problem is that it doesn't actually stay in fullscreen, it goes blkack for a second, crashes and leaves me with a white box

I apologize for the inconvenience. If you are still experiencing the issue after attempting to change the graphics settings in Windowed Mode

I recommend also try changing your Monitor's resolution to it's native resolution of 1600x900, from it's current resolution of 1440x900, and start the game again, and see if you are then able to see the game properly.

Nope, still didn't work... The problem is that it doesn't actually stay in fullscreen, it goes blkack for a second, crashes and leaves me with a white box

• Hi, I am also having a problem in not being able to get the game to start. I have Steam on my PC but purchased TWD through your website last year. So, I downloaded it last night, installed it onto Win 7 64 bit, and when I go to launch it I double click on the icon and the little blue windows circle spins (next to the mouse) for a bit but then nothing launches. I didn't have this problem on my previous PC. Is this because I also have Steam installed? I don't want to pay another $25 for it on Steam because I already paid for it. Can you help me? Thanks :)

• This still hasn't helped! I'd be willing to bet my computer has messed it up somehow, I doubt you can fix it, but thanks for trying

I recommend also try changing your Monitor's resolution to it's native resolution of 1600x900, from it's current resolution of 1440x900, and start the game again, and see if you are then able to see the game properly.

Please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

Hi, I am also having a problem in not being able to get the game to start. I have Steam on my PC but purchased TWD through your website last

If you have the game installed through Steam, and Steam Cloud Saving is enabled for the game, there may be a backup of the prefs.prop file causing this issue. I recommend disabling Steam Cloud saving (You can check this by right clicking on the game in your Steam Library, clicking Properties, and click the Updates tab. Near the bottom of the page, you can see if the Steam Cloud is enabled for The Walking Dead) then double checking your file directory in

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

to make sure there isn't a duplicate prefs.prop file made. Then after you have disabled Steam Cloud, and made sure you do not have any prefs.prop files associated with the game on your computer, start the game, and your issue should be resolved.

This still hasn't helped! I'd be willing to bet my computer has messed it up somehow, I doubt you can fix it, but thanks for trying

• Please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied a

edited October 2014

I noticed that you have two file directories for Season One. They are located here:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

and

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\GameData

I recommend uninstalling/deleting your 'Telltale Games' folder from the above location, and deleting any left over files associated with The Walking Dead. Then reinstall the game, and it should install to the default directory, and you will then be able to start the game successfully.

Please also make sure that you are not running the game in a Compatibility Mode.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ltm5yw Thanks for that

This discussion has been closed.