Walking Dead (2) PS4 - Unable to find save from season 1

edited November 2014 in Game Support

[Update #2], Nov. 14th:
I am staring a new thread from the old PS3 topic, starting from p. 6 [1].

This issue seems to apply to PS4 versions only so far; released recently in the PSN store and on disk.

Issues until now:

• Players are unable to import the Season One save data in Season Two

• PSN and physical media versions are affected

• This issue does seem to apply to several regions excluding north america

• Tellatale staff acknowledges the problem and is working on a fix [4]

• There is no release date / update on a possible fix nor if this is fixable at all so far

• In the meantime, PS4 users could try to refund Season 2, even with Sony PSN [3]

• What may be related is an issue to save games in season one [2]

Also, I'll try to regularly update this post summarizing to the posts below

[1] http://www.telltalegames.com/support/discussion/54119/walking-dead-2-ps3-unable-to-find-save-from-season-1/p6

[2] sadly I cannot link comments and the posts have no number. See p. 7; comment by scotchedpommes

[3] https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/344/~/requesting-a-refund#5

[4] From several support mail requests, users reported: ""We are aware of the save transfer issue with the EU PS4 version of Season 2. We are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have more information soon." This also applies to Australia.

PS: also, these captchas are a really awful thing to do with registered users.

Comments

• Yeah, i just signed up to say the same thing has happened to me. I have both Season 1 and 2 on PS4 (disc version). Completed Season 1 including 400 days, soon after started Season 2 but it is unable to find my save from Season 1. I live in the UK. I hope this is fixed soon.

• edited November 2014

Thanks for creating the thread, helge000. I'd just registered to post about the import issue and should probably have created a thread.

Just to reiterate, the PS4 save issues I posted about [aside from the import problem]:

• Saves can't be copied to other slots after a game has reached the end of Episode 5.
    • Attempting to copy saves to other slots after Episode 5 just erases the save in the target slot.
    • Any new game started in an empty slot after an Episode 5 save has been made will not be saved until the Episode 5 save is deleted.

Although it could hardly be considered definitive, I have seen reports of the import issue on twitter from people in Australia and New Zealand, but I obviously have no idea whether that release is technically identical to the EU version.

• Ha, you are like my twin I just signed up because of this, I got both seasons on disc for PS4 and... well you get the point.

Having read the PS3 thread hopefully this will be fixed very soon such a shame.

k1ngg posted: »

Yeah, i just signed up to say the same thing has happened to me. I have both Season 1 and 2 on PS4 (disc version). Completed Season 1 includ

• Yeah lol. I just wonder if this game was tested properly before release, because i also had problems in S1 Ep4 where i couldn't enter the nurses office without rewinding.

Yelldarb posted: »

Ha, you are like my twin I just signed up because of this, I got both seasons on disc for PS4 and... well you get the point. Having read the PS3 thread hopefully this will be fixed very soon such a shame.

• I got stuck because the game wouldn't advance past getting the battery, I had to rewind at Crawford as well.
    Hopefully they will provide an update soon, although I don't know what people with the game on disc and no internet connection will do.

Yeah lol. I just wonder if this game was tested properly before release, because i also had problems in S1 Ep4 where i couldn't enter the nurses office without rewinding.

• Yeah, that would be a very small minority but they should be able to get a refund. I'm also hoping for fix asap. Can't wait to start season 2.

I got stuck because the game wouldn't advance past getting the battery, I had to rewind at Crawford as well. Hopefully they will provide an update soon, although I don't know what people with the game on disc and no internet connection will do.

• I doubt many people have got it on PS4 so I don't know how much effort they will put in, hopefully it is an easy fix especially since it only seems like an EU problem.

Yeah, that would be a very small minority but they should be able to get a refund. I'm also hoping for fix asap. Can't wait to start season 2.

• Im in Aus and I've got all these issues as well -

1) Had to reload at the Nurses Station in Crawford to advance
    2) Can't copy season 1 save files
    3) Can't transfer choices from season 1 to season 2
    4) Signed up to this forum just for the fix.

I've got other games to get to at some point, there's only so long I can wait before this game series gets shelved.

I doubt many people have got it on PS4 so I don't know how much effort they will put in, hopefully it is an easy fix especially since it only seems like an EU problem.

• Yeah it would suck if when they fixed this I didn't care anymore because I was busy playing other stuff.
    Hopefully it comes this year because next year is packed with stuff.

JJShurte posted: »

Im in Aus and I've got all these issues as well - 1) Had to reload at the Nurses Station in Crawford to advance 2) Can't copy season 1 s

• It has to be fixed this year. If everybody who bought the game in Europe has this problem, they woud be crazy to take so long to release a patch.

Yeah it would suck if when they fixed this I didn't care anymore because I was busy playing other stuff. Hopefully it comes this year because next year is packed with stuff.

• Is there anybody who could tell us the status? I mean do we have to wait long for a patch? Does the team already work on it? Would appreciate some details.

• I wouldn't be shocked if it was next year, though I do expect it to come out this year
    Even if everyone in Europe has this issue I doubt it will be a big problem for them, the market on PS4 isn't that big for them.

It has to be fixed this year. If everybody who bought the game in Europe has this problem, they woud be crazy to take so long to release a patch.

• I have the same issue. Would be very nice to know when we can expect a fix/patch for this.

• End of the year?!

Uh... I got Assassins Creed Unity coming out on the 13th and GTA5 coming out on the 18th. Telltale have until then to get this fixed or I'm trading in my copies and ditching the series all together.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was next year, though I do expect it to come out this year Even if everyone in Europe has this issue I doubt it will be a big problem for them, the market on PS4 isn't that big for them.

• Heh, yeah I'm getting those games day 1 as well, hopefully it won't be too long.

JJShurte posted: »

End of the year?! Uh... I got Assassins Creed Unity coming out on the 13th and GTA5 coming out on the 18th. Telltale have until then to get this fixed or I'm trading in my copies and ditching the series all together.

• Could you not even tell your customers a rough estimate as to how long this fix will take To resolve

• Yeah, it launched a week ago now and no info. on when we can expect a fix :(

Could you not even tell your customers a rough estimate as to how long this fix will take To resolve

• I have the same problem (Netherlands)!! So is there any news on this subject, cause i am kinda thinking we are being forgotten.... I have two downloaded seasons out of the Ps store and I would like some info about the latest status....

• walking dead season 2 is a piss off you have it wont save you have to start over every time you die or want to continue the next

• I have the Ps4 digital copy of season 1 and and the hard copy of season 2. I was mostly through season 1, until today. Somehow, my save slot disappeared, even after i restarted the whole game from the beginning again in a different slot, the game wouldn't save anymore. I'm in the US by the way.

• I have the digital Copys of both Seasons on Ps4 (Germany) and if this Issue isn't fixed soon I'll cut off my Arm.

• Can someone from telltale update us please? Thanks

• Signed up to also say I'm in the UK, just got the platinum on Season 1 (digital) and went straight in to Season 2 only to find "no save data on your system" message.

I even uploaded my save data on to PS+ to see if that helped but still can't import my decisions.

• Also sent an email to the Telltales team which I'll provide a copy of below this.

I noticed a lot of people have mentioned this but there has been no feedback from Telltale at all so thought I would try contacting you directly.

Recently purchased Season 1 and Season 2 of The Walking Dead on PS4 just finished Season 1 and was really looking forward to continuing my story, to find that the game isn't registering my completed file from Season 1.

Can you acknowledge this issue and please let the community, not just myself, know what you are doing to resolve this/how long it will take to get this fixed?

Surely this should be a high priority for all the community to get it sorted so we can play the game the way you planned for us to play it.

Then my usual "thanks for your time blah blah blah" ending.

If I don't hear anything it may require more than just 1 or 2 of us to contact them but let's hope this is solved soon.

• Let us know what reply you recieve! Thanks

Anfraxx_ posted: »

Also sent an email to the Telltales team which I'll provide a copy of below this. I noticed a lot of people have mentioned this but there

• Thanks a lot.

I have the problem, too.

Sony PS4
    Retail Versions of TWD S1 & TWD S2.

I am also looking forward for a patch or at least a hint how to make the S1 Savegame visible for S2.

• Telltale: Stop ignoring the people that bought your games and give us a damn answer! This is beyond a joke now! Thousands of people are having this problem and you are just ignoring it! I'll be spreading the word about this on every gaming site there is. You've just lost one customer, and I won't be the only one. Never again.

• I want to download season 2 on ps4 (uk) but ill just wait now if this is the case.

• Same problem here, bought both S1 and S2 on PS4 physical retail (Australia - PAL). I have completed Season 1 + 400 Days, and S2 cannot find a save to load my decisions. Please patch this asap Telltale.

• TelltaleMike acknowledged the PS4 import issue in the PS3 thread on Monday. [the 3rd of November]:

My apologies, we are currently looking into the save import issue occurring for PS4 players in Europe. We hope to have a resolution/update soon. I will make sure to update the forums when I receive any new information on the issue.

At this point, as I've said in both threads, it appears that there are more problems with the save files than just the import. It also looks to be affecting the Australian release, which is presumably the same version as the European build.

I haven't seen this picked up anywhere outwith social media or this site, so think it might be more worthwhile to be bringing this up with gaming sites - Eurogamer, the UK and AU offices of IGN or Kotaku UK. The save files apparently function well enough to import / copy in the North American release, otherwise we'd have seen more elsewhere by now. Given that there might be a fundamental problem with the save files in the EU / AU game, I'd be more interested to know from Telltale:

Why was the European release not only staggered [as was expected] but delayed a further week? Were systems that were already functional in the North American release modified in such a way as to "break" critical aspects of the game?

A gaming news site would be better placed to look for answers.

Anfraxx_ posted: »

Also sent an email to the Telltales team which I'll provide a copy of below this. I noticed a lot of people have mentioned this but there

• Dude chill out, there is a reason why there is no comments from them on the weekend as was confirmed by their automatic response email.

Please note that our offices are closed on weekends and holidays.

NJL83NZ posted: »

Telltale: Stop ignoring the people that bought your games and give us a damn answer! This is beyond a joke now! Thousands of people are havi

• Where are the telltale staff have they become the walking dead been nearly a week and have not had one update about a fix for ps4 I have had the same problem and cant import choices from season 1 and 400 days can someone from telltale at least tell us if you are working on a patch my copies are both discs and im in the UK if that helps please fix this.

• I'm another who has signed up just to post in this thread. I bought both retail discs PS4 (Australia) finish first season and can't find save. I come on to the site and see it's a widespread problem and at this stage telltale are doing nothing. I'm so disappointed i have just cancelled my pre ordered copy of the wolf among us as I have no confidence in that game not having issues. Did they even check the games or just release them? Maybe spend more time checking your games before release and less time patting yourselves on the back on twitter.

• edited November 2014

yeah, and I'm another too, totally agree with you.

Telltale, what the ...? PS3 version got the same error in release, and now PS4 users can't play in season 2. But in ps3 case you resolve this error.

Can't load my save from season one - Unable to find a save. Digital version, Russia, EU PSN Store. DO SOMETHING FOR ALL OF US!
    If you can't - say how I can return my money for season 2

Jumacr posted: »

I'm another who has signed up just to post in this thread. I bought both retail discs PS4 (Australia) finish first season and can't find sav

• Yeah same here (Netherlands).. ok let me be clear about this. So there is no response this far for an answer. Ok then i whant to know one thing.
    HOW CAN I GET MY MONEY BACK, SO I CAN SPEND THAT ON OTHER GAMES??? Tell tale no offence you take all the time you need, but not on my money. And maybe when you have a patch maybe then i will return as a customer we will see. That olso depents how you handle this one. (sorry for my crapy ENG i'm doing my best) My next game of you guys would be The Wolf Amung Us, well i will not be your tester for this one.

• Hey guys,

Digitally purchased season 1 Walking Dead on my PS4. Was about to purchase season 2 when I came across this thread. Can you guys confirm that you cannot import your saves from season 1?

I have played both seasons before on ios/iphone and I remember when I tried to import it took a few times for it to work. Have you guys tried multiple times to do the import?

Hope Telltale is aware of the issue. Really enjoyed playing the game for a second time and looking forward to playing Season 2 on my Ps4.

• Yup. I have the same issue. I feel like I've been pretty sympathetic towards Telltale up til' now.

1) They're not exactly flawless when it comes to release dates, but hey, development processes can be tricky things.
    2) Their games had awful performance on last gen consoles, but the storytelling was so good I was willing to overlook that.
    3) They didn't give last gen console owners a save import function so they wouldn't have to buy the game again on PS4 or X1. Understandable. Sounds like a very tricky thing to do, and would cannibalize the sales of any current gen offering.
    4) No pricecuts either to existing owners. Alright, fine.

But now they sell me two blatantly broken games? That save function is what Telltale-developed games DO. It's the crux of their whole development philosophy. I'm very disappointed. Believe it or not, I'm not going to call Playstation and ask for a refund. I would much rather have these games WORK rather than quit playing Telltale games, because I honestly love their stories and characters.

But for the love of God, these games are everywhere. They're on iOS, they're on last and current gen systems, Ouya, PC... I don't want to backseat manage anyone's business, but how has this critical and financial success not resulted in you guys getting your QA up to snuff? I get it if you only have two months to make an episode (even if it's your own engine), but these games are finished. TWD Season 1 in particular is YEARS old by now. Why have this game's bugs not been eradicated yet? All I see is you guys taking on more projects and all of them suffering in terms of quality as a result. Is that a correct assessment? I don't know, but it's the impression you're giving off. You shouldn't be getting away with this, but you are. And I want to believe you feel bad about it. I want to believe you are taking steps to improve upon this.

So please earn your fans' trust. Last night I deleted my TWD S1 save because I thought it was corrupted. I will gladly play the whole game again to have my choices in S2, but I would like to know that it will work this time around. Please keep us updated as soon and as often as you can.

• Yep, having same problem here also.

With all the sound and graphical problems also in the PS4 version and now this. The whole premise of the game series, is the choices you make and its completely broken. I'm in the process of trying to return season 1 and 2 to amazon, with the reason sold not fit for purpose. If Sony are giving refunds, I don't see why amazon wouldn't also.

• Import does not work. Played multiple times. Issue with copying save files or starting new games after one save file has reached Episode 5. Had to delete save to start a new game and create two copies. Tested import at various stages throughout with each file and then again once complete, several times.

Fox13 posted: »

Hey guys, Digitally purchased season 1 Walking Dead on my PS4. Was about to purchase season 2 when I came across this thread. Can you guy

• edited November 2014

Echo your sentiments here. Just on the release delay, as posted earlier, I'm curious why we're seeing these problems with the European and Australian releases even when there was a further delay of a week. Possible they were aware of the problems even then, though they don't seem to have been replicated in the Xbox version.

[And of course, no import problem with the North American release. Would be interested to know if the same file copying problems are present in that.]

RLSkyward posted: »

Yup. I have the same issue. I feel like I've been pretty sympathetic towards Telltale up til' now. 1) They're not exactly flawless when i

This discussion has been closed.