Can't start The Walking Dead

edited January 2014 in Game Support

Everytime i start up The Walking Dead it stops and says that the walking dead is not responding and ive tryed everything

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please run this support tool:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After following all of the steps, please copy and paste the download link into a new reply in this thread.

• my game won't start either. here is the download link.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dyk0d4

I apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please run this support tool: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-suppor

• I have an issue with installation. I installed the game without a problem and it runs fine on my Windows Xp PC, but whenever I try to start the game, I'm forced to reinstall the game but I can still continue from my save file. I'm not very good with technology so I have no idea what's wrong with it. Apart from this issue, the game runs fine.

I've looked over your support tool file, and it seems your computer's integrated graphics card does not meet the minimum system requirements for running the game. I recommend playing it on a system that meets the system requirements. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

ChelseaIRL posted: »

my game won't start either. here is the download link. http://www.sendspace.com/file/dyk0d4

• Ugh! I hope I don't have to reinstall. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

I have an issue with installation. I installed the game without a problem and it runs fine on my Windows Xp PC, but whenever I try to start th

Can you please clarify the specific error message you are receiving when you are asked to reinstall the game? Any extra information can help me find the root cause of your issue.

I have an issue with installation. I installed the game without a problem and it runs fine on my Windows Xp PC, but whenever I try to start th

• but i've played episode 1 and partway through episode 2. after playing all that, it's decided my graphics card isn't good enough?

I've looked over your support tool file, and it seems your computer's integrated graphics card does not meet the minimum system requirements f

• It wasn't an error message. It simply showed me the setup as if I were installing it for the first time. The only time the setup recognizes that I installed it before was when it asked me if I wanted to delete or keep my save files. As far as I can tell, my PC has all the requirements needed to run the game.

Can you please clarify the specific error message you are receiving when you are asked to reinstall the game? Any extra information can help me find the root cause of your issue.

• Por que cada vez que quiero comenzar el juego me pide mi nombre de usuario y la contraseña?

• tronixtronix Telltale Alumni

I'm not sure if I'm able to help, but if you run the game and it tries to setup, it could be that you are clicking on the shortcut for the game installer rather than the game.

It wasn't an error message. It simply showed me the setup as if I were installing it for the first time. The only time the setup recognizes th

• Normally the setup comes up on it's own, but if it doesn't I go to My Computer, then click the shortcut. And all it says is "The Walking Dead". Nothing about setup.

tronix posted: »

I'm not sure if I'm able to help, but if you run the game and it tries to setup, it could be that you are clicking on the shortcut for the game installer rather than the game.

• every time i log into the game using my email it will just sit there and do nothing with just the "walking dead" on the screen
    her is my data http://www.sendspace.com/file/welgod

• My game crashes immediately when I try to start it. What are the minimum requirements for playing this game.

• try reinstalling. i had a similar problem. the admin said my graphics card wasn't strong enough, but i knew that wasn't true because i was already part way through episode two before i started having problems.

CoachTabor posted: »

My game crashes immediately when I try to start it. What are the minimum requirements for playing this game.

• turns out i had to do a fresh re-install and lost my game progress. i kept having the same problem when i tried to keep my saves.

I've looked over your support tool file, and it seems your computer's integrated graphics card does not meet the minimum system requirements f

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please delete the Login data from the registry.

First, open a command window.
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "cmd" and press enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the Windows key. Type in "cmd" and press enter
    Windows 8: At the start screen, type in "cmd" and press enter

Then copy the command line below and paste it into the command window, press enter, and confirm the question:
    REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Launcher"

DMAH0N posted: »

every time i log into the game using my email it will just sit there and do nothing with just the "walking dead" on the screen her is my data http://www.sendspace.com/file/welgod

• tronixtronix Telltale Alumni

I'm sorry you're having this issue.

I think you are saying that you have a PC disc version of Season 1 that you have installed, but when when you click on the disc icon it asks you to install again. That would make sense, as the PC disc version needs to be installed to the hard drive to play. Trying to run the disc after the install would make it run the un-installer which would ask if you want to keep your save files.

Then when you go to My Computer and click on the shortcut, you see "The Walking Dead" and nothing else. This sounds like the game is launching, and displaying The Walking Dead logo and then I'm guessing it freezes or crashes? Otherwise you'd be able to play. A freeze or crash on launch is often due to having a system that is below min spec. It can also happen on a Windows 8 install that is pre 8.1 if you have a Microsoft controller plugged in. Please see our FAQ if you have a Microsoft controller plugged in and have Windows 8.

Also, it is possible you are getting to the point in start up where the game checks the web for patches. You could see if it is related to firewall or network settings preventing the game from starting by pulling the network cable when starting up to see if that is the case.

Normally the setup comes up on it's own, but if it doesn't I go to My Computer, then click the shortcut. And all it says is "The Walking Dead". Nothing about setup.

You can find the minimum system requirements to play the game on the game's FAQ page on our website:

Season 1:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/season1/

Season 2:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/season2-faq/

ChelseaIRL posted: »

try reinstalling. i had a similar problem. the admin said my graphics card wasn't strong enough, but i knew that wasn't true because i was already part way through episode two before i started having problems.

• Oh god! CAn not run both my favourite telltale games (The wolf among us and The walking dead) since i changed my hdd ! I installed the same windows that i had in my old hdd but now i cant run these games and every game is fine!
    Problems:
    The wolf among us:Black screen for 1 sec then it stops,no errors and nothing :/
    The walking dead season 2:Program has stopped working! :(
    Need help! :'(

• Hi, a couple days ago I bought Season 2 of the Walking Dead. Only, there's one problem with the game. Everytime I start the game, the screen goes black (but the arrow of the game is visible) with music on the background. So, after a couple minutes of waiting, I click on the screen and then it says that the game is connecting. A couple seconds later the music on the background stops and then there's a black screen again. But you can still see the arrow of the game. After the blackscreen appeared for the second time, the game didn't react anymore if I clicked on the screen. So, I closed the game and started it again. But the same thing happens over and over. Can someone maybe help me with this problem because I really want to play the game !

Can you please clarify if your new hard drive is named the same as your old drive? (ex: C:/, compared to D:/ )

Kraper posted: »

Oh god! CAn not run both my favourite telltale games (The wolf among us and The walking dead) since i changed my hdd ! I installed the same

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank/black screen, please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the shortcut (Alt+Enter for PC, Command+F for Mac) and see if you are then able to see the game correctly. If so, please then try changing the game's resolution and graphics settings to a lower setting, and click Apply. Then try switching back to Full Screen Mode by using the same shortcut, and your issue should then be resolved.

Ninaa_x posted: »

Hi, a couple days ago I bought Season 2 of the Walking Dead. Only, there's one problem with the game. Everytime I start the game, the screen

• When I press Alt+Enter, the screen goes to windowed mode but it stays black, nothing changes. But while the screen is black, I can press shift+tab to go to the settings of the game. I tried changing some of the settings, but that didn't solve anything. Where can I actually change the resolution of the game? I couldn't find that option.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank/black screen, please try switching the gam

• edited September 2014

I have a 2012 Macbook Retina, and Season 1, via Steam, doesn't start correctly. The screen is either white with pink dots, or a white with expanded parts of the apple menu all over the screen. I can hear a background sound but see nothing. ESC quits the game.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/c4tdbh

Can someone help please.

• Same problem. Support doesn't answer me.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/3nnjki

The resolution can be changed in the Options Menu, then selecting the Graphics Menu, and in there you will find the option to change the game's resolution to a lower setting.

Ninaa_x posted: »

When I press Alt+Enter, the screen goes to windowed mode but it stays black, nothing changes. But while the screen is black, I can press shi

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank/black screen, please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the shortcut (Alt+Enter for PC, Command+F for Mac) and see if you are then able to see the game correctly. If so, please then try changing the game's resolution and graphics settings to a lower setting, and click Apply. Then try switching back to Full Screen Mode by using the same shortcut, and your issue should then be resolved.

um4ng posted: »

I have a 2012 Macbook Retina, and Season 1, via Steam, doesn't start correctly. The screen is either white with pink dots, or a white with e

edited September 2014

After looking over your support tool information, below are a few possible solutions:

1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for both your graphics card, and your computer’s BIOS

2) Restart your system

3) Unplug your gamepad (and all other USB devices other than keyboard/mouse) and plug in headphones to the audio out jack.

4) Run the game as admin

5) Run the game in compatibility mode (right click on game, click properties, click compatibility tab , and we recommend running the game in Windows 98/ME ) (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

6) Reinstall the game

Davlin posted: »

Same problem. Support doesn't answer me. https://www.sendspace.com/file/3nnjki

• help me i installed this game i also singup here but when i start game it ask for enter username (email) and pasword i also gave that .after that its not playing just walking dead screen countining..nathing more pls help me how to run ahead?

• I have a similar problem. I bought the first season a couple days ago. When I first installed it, it ran fine, but after I closed the software and later tried to play the game again, a pop-up message came up claiming I do not have a license for the game.
    So I installed it on my other computer, but it did the exact same thing.
    I was wondering if the game doesn't like my login and password for some reason, so I changed the pass (as I can not change the user name)
    I uninstalled the game and deleted the entries from the registry and installed the game again. Now it starts up but all the other episodes say "Cooming soon"...and when I close it and restart...."you do not have the license for this game." comes up again.

My computers are an Asus Vivo Tab 8 tablet with Windows 8.1 on it and an Acer aspire one 722 with Windows 7 on it. Both of them with built-in low-spec graphic cards and some other specs probably do not meet the system requirements.....However, both runs the game with the highest graphic settigns without a problem. The game works flawlessy on both right until I close it once.

Here's the files for the Acer computer.
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/n33a3g

• Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: WalkingDead101.exe
    Application Version: 2012.4.23.11289
    Application Timestamp: 4f95e3ff
    Fault Module Name: WalkingDead101.exe
    Fault Module Version: 2012.4.23.11289
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4f95e3ff
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 003e8913
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: fd00
    Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3: fd00
    Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

• I apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please run this support tool: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-suppor

I apologize for the delayed response. Can you please clarify what OS version you are currently using on your computer?

drayson8 posted: »

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: WalkingDead101.exe Application Version: 2012.4.23.11289 App

After looking over your Support Tool information, it seems that your computer is running below the minimum system requirements to run the game successfully. Where we require a minimum of 512mb of dedicated memory, your computer is currently running at 245mb of dedicated memory. I recommend either trying to update your current graphics card's drivers to the latest version, and see if you are able to play, or try playing the game on a computer above minimum system requirements if you have the ability to.

Romio-3 posted: »

I have a similar problem. I bought the first season a couple days ago. When I first installed it, it ran fine, but after I closed the softwa

I apologize for the delayed response, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

rajwantjaan posted: »

help me i installed this game i also singup here but when i start game it ask for enter username (email) and pasword i also gave that .after that its not playing just walking dead screen countining..nathing more pls help me how to run ahead?

My apologies for the delayed response. Can you please clarify if the game runs successfully if you remove the '_backup' folder from the game's file directory?

anntalusan posted: »

https://www.sendspace.com/file/0q9uo8

• edited November 2014

Thank you for answer.
    I know that my computer has low specs and I bought the game as a gamble knowing that. I would NEVER complain about it if it did not run.
    However like I said, the game DOES RUN on my computer just fine. I could play it till the end if I had the time.
    The problem occurs once I exit the game. Namely the next time I start the game, it says I do not have a license to the game.
    Could you tell me exactly how does the licensing problem is related to my shortage of memory?

After looking over your Support Tool information, it seems that your computer is running below the minimum system requirements to run the ga

• every time i log into the game using my email it will just sit there and do nothing with just the "walking dead" on the screen her is my data

treant posted: »

https://www.sendspace.com/file/caal4r

This discussion has been closed.