Walking Dead Season 1 not loading for Mac.

Up until a recently, (not sure when exactly, haven't played in about a week) Walking Dead Season 1 worked fine. But as of today, every time I try to load the game, I either get a large white square in the middle of my screen, usually with lots of isolated red green and blue pixels, or whatever is up on screen chopped up. I saw something in another thread about running the support tool, so I did that. Here's the link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/lgtgtj

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank/black screen, please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the shortcut (Command+F for Mac) and see if you are then able to see the game correctly. If so, please then try changing the game's resolution and/or graphics settings to a lower setting, and click Apply. Then try switching back to Full Screen Mode by using the same shortcut, and your issue should then be resolved.

• Well, Windowed Mode works. But changing the graphics settings doesn't help when returning to full screen. But I guess playing in Windowed Mode isn't too bad.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please try starting the game again, and when you see the blank/black screen, please try switching the gam

My apologies, I recommend changing the resolution to as close to your monitor's native resolution, that way the window expands to the edges of your monitor's screen.

Gavitron posted: »

Well, Windowed Mode works. But changing the graphics settings doesn't help when returning to full screen. But I guess playing in Windowed Mode isn't too bad.

• I've experienced the same problem, except that Walking Dead Season 1 has never worked on my new iMac with Retina 5K display. When I start the game, the display is corrupted and unusable. Here's a typical example:

The Walking Dead Season 1 startup screen on an iMac

I read through the forums and found this, and can confirm that Command+F worked for me — it switched me into windowed mode which displayed fine. But similar to Gavitron, switching it back to full screen doesn't help — it just corrupts again regardless of which resolution I pick for full screen mode. For example:

The Walking Dead Season 1 full-screen mode on an iMac with Retina 5K display"

The display on these new iMacs is 5120 x 2880. This new model has only been available for a few days, and so I'm guessing you haven't tested your games on such an unusually high resolution. Maybe all 5K iMacs are affected? I suggest you try get your hands on a 5K iMac to try it out yourself...

By the way, here's my system information from the support tool: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nasdy24a5lf8yon/system_information.txt?dl=0

• I just tried Sam & Max series 3 on the iMac and I'm getting the same problems: corrupted screen on startup, have to switch to windowed by pressing Command-F. Looks like this might be a problem for all Telltale Games on the Retina 5K iMac?

gutch posted: »

I've experienced the same problem, except that Walking Dead Season 1 has never worked on my new iMac with Retina 5K display. When I start th

My apologies, thank you for providing the extra information, I will make sure to pass it along to the team for further investigation. Please read over This Apple Page on how to further adjust your display settings, and try a few different display options using the Built-In Retina Display Window. Then try starting the game again, and see if you are able to play in Full Screen Mode successfully.

I just tried Sam & Max series 3 on the iMac and I'm getting the same problems: corrupted screen on startup, have to switch to windowed by pressing Command-F. Looks like this might be a problem for all Telltale Games on the Retina 5K iMac?

• Suffering the same issue, Fullscreen on an Early-2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina leaves me with artifacts all over the screen. Command + F works to resolve it (just playing it in windowed mode). I hope that a fix is pushed, I'd really rather play the game fullscreen to really enjoy it..

• Thanks! I found that enabling the "Open in Low Resolution" option means that full-screen mode now works without problem.

Open in Low Resolution

Of course that does limit the resolution to 2560x1440... but I don't really expect any games to be performing well at 5120x2880 so that's fine. Maybe you can find a way to make the "Open in Low Resolution" setting the default when you distribute your games on OS X?

My apologies, thank you for providing the extra information, I will make sure to pass it along to the team for further investigation. Please

Thank you for providing the extra information, I will make sure to pass it along to the team!

Thanks! I found that enabling the "Open in Low Resolution" option means that full-screen mode now works without problem. Of course th

Thank you, I will make sure to pass the extra information along to the team.

mmichaels posted: »

Suffering the same issue, Fullscreen on an Early-2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina leaves me with artifacts all over the screen. Command + F works

• edited January 2015

Thank you!!!! My macbook pro retina 13'' had the same problem, I will try this out!!

Edit: My TWD .app was already set to 'low resolution', it still doesn't work.

Thanks! I found that enabling the "Open in Low Resolution" option means that full-screen mode now works without problem. Of course th

• This problem persists. You have to resolve it. I'm in a macbook pro retina 13'' and can't play the game in full screen. I can't even change the position of the window in the window mode. Help me please. Tried the solution of the user gutch, but didn't work out. My .app wal already set to low resolution and nothing is working.

edited January 2015

My apologies, if you are using Mac OS X 10.10 please try the workaround for players using Mac OS 10 Yosemite, below:

1) In System Preferences, select Displays, then select Scaled - More Space to change the screen resolution to very detailed.

2) In System Preferences, select Dock, then deselect 'Automatically hide and show the dock', to be able to click on the bottom of the screen.

3) Start up the game and run it in windowed mode using the Mac shortcut (Command + F).

4) You should now be able to see the main menu now and change the screen resolution to one that fits the window.

Nirvanes posted: »

This problem persists. You have to resolve it. I'm in a macbook pro retina 13'' and can't play the game in full screen. I can't even change

• edited April 2015

Thats not working for me. I have a Early 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 15"
    Although the game in windowed mode was easier to read after I changed to scaled. The game natively boots into the max resolution, but it is still a fragmented experience in (Command + F)

My apologies, if you are using Mac OS X 10.10 please try the workaround for players using Mac OS 10 Yosemite, below: 1) In System Prefere

• I'm still having the same problem on 15'' retina macbookpro

Nirvanes posted: »

Thank you!!!! My macbook pro retina 13'' had the same problem, I will try this out!! Edit: My TWD .app was already set to 'low resolution', it still doesn't work.

If the issue persists, please try the workaround for players using Mac OS 10 Yosemite, below:

1) In System Preferences, select Displays, then select Scaled - More Space to change the screen resolution to very detailed.

2) In System Preferences, select Dock, then deselect 'Automatically hide and show the dock', to be able to click on the bottom of the screen.

3) Start up the game and run it in windowed mode using the Mac shortcut (Command + F).

4) You should now be able to see the main menu now and change the screen resolution to one that fits the window.

lvxxtr posted: »

I'm still having the same problem on 15'' retina macbookpro

• The app wasn't working for me either.
    Macbook Pro late '14, Mac OS X 10.9

I tried to open the app from terminal by typing:

cd /Applications/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/MacOS

and then:

./WalkingDead101

These are the error messages I get:

2015-06-22 11:50:11.748 WalkingDead101[1617:507] NSOpenGLView pixelFormat RendererID = 01022727

<CFData 0x43ac170 [0xa04f7fa0]>{length = 6, capacity = 6, bytes = 0x6c4008a168e8}

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; ipcserver GetSteamPath failed.

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dll.

<CFData 0x66c2360 [0xa04f7fa0]>{length = 6, capacity = 6, bytes = 0x6c4008a168e8}

2015-06-22 11:50:14.180 WalkingDead101[1617:507] FullScreen pixelFormat RendererID = 01022727

WalkingDead101(1617,0xa19001a8) malloc: *** error for object 0xf238cb8: pointer being freed was not allocated

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

<CFData 0x40ee1e0 [0xa04f7fa0]>{length = 6, capacity = 6, bytes = 0x6c4008a168e8}

WalkingDead101(1617,0xa19001a8) malloc: *** error for object 0x669fe98: pointer being freed was not allocated

WalkingDead101(1617,0xa19001a8) malloc: *** error for object 0x43af408: pointer being freed was not allocated

WalkingDead101(1617,0xa19001a8) malloc: *** error for object 0x41d5bd8: pointer being freed was not allocated
    WalkingDead101(1617,0xa19001a8) malloc: *** error for object 0xf2663e8: pointer being freed was not allocated
    WalkingDead101(1617,0xa19001a8) malloc: *** error for object 0x43b1078: pointer being freed was not allocated

So, reading about Steam being referenced, even if I bought and downloaded the game from telltalegames.com, I tried to open Steam and re-launch the app from the terminal.
    The first time it worked, but the app was complaining about a missing steam_appid.txt file.
    here are the error messages:

2015-06-22 12:08:02.544 WalkingDead101[1760:507] NSOpenGLView pixelFormat RendererID = 01022727
    <CFData 0x434ad70 [0xa04f7fa0]>{length = 6, capacity = 6, bytes = 0x6c4008a168e8}
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; no appID found.
    Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.
    KQ: Error reading KQ:Interrupted system call 
    <CFData 0x678c850 [0xa04f7fa0]>{length = 6, capacity = 6, bytes = 0x6c4008a168e8}
    <CFData 0x67f0e30 [0xa04f7fa0]>{length = 6, capacity = 6, bytes = 0x6c4008a168e8}
    WalkingDead101(1760,0xa19001a8) malloc: *** error for object 0xe2da348: pointer being freed was not allocated
    Bus error: 10

The strange thing is, when I closed and tried to re-open it, it didn't work anymore.
    So, I created the steam_appid.txt file and put it inside the app by right-clicking on the "TheWalkingDead.app" icon in the Applications folder and selecting "Show Package Contents". I put the file in the "Contents/MacOs" folder, and I tried to open again the app using the terminal.
    It worked again! But then, when I closed and re-opened it, it didn't work once again.
    The terminal is now reporting this error:

KQ: Error reading KQ:Interrupted system call 

This discussion has been closed.