Back to the Future Episode 4 black screen on OSX Yosemite

edited December 2014 in Game Support

I've recently upgraded to OSX Yosemite and now BTTF episode 4 doesn't work well. I run it on Steam. It starts, but the menu screen is all black. I can hear the sound. The Steam overlay menu that appears in the lower right corner flickers, however the Shift-Tab Steam menu works fine. But the BTTF game itself doesn't. Please help.

Comments

• I never even played the game! bought it off steam after reading people with older MacBooks could run it no problems. Was really looking forward to playing at after I played the free episode on my iPhone and figured playing on a larger display would be much easier. Nope! I've got the exact same symptoms as you. I can hear the opening chimes of the music, I get the black screen and the steam notification tries to pop up and then... nothing. Sorry I don't have a solution, but I figured I'd add my voice to the cause. I've emailed telltale - If I get any luck, I'll let you know.

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

My apologies, please try the workaround suggested by another player using Mac OS 10 Yosemite, below:

1) In System Preferences, select Displays, then select Scaled - More Space to change the screen resolution to very detailed.

2) In System Preferences, select Dock, then deselect 'Automatically hide and show the dock', to be able to click on the bottom of the screen.

3) Start up the game and run it in windowed mode using the Mac shortcut (Command + F).

4) You should now be able to see the main menu now and change the screen resolution to one that fits the window.

• Same problem, tried the workaround suggested by Mike, no luck. Any other?

Can you please clarify if you are able to see the game's window after switching to Windowed Mode using the shortcut (Command+F)?

Littletdw posted: »

Same problem, tried the workaround suggested by Mike, no luck. Any other?

• Sorry about the late reply! I did eventually get an email through and I can confirm command + F plays the game correctly in windowed mode. Putting the screen back into full screen mode breaks the game again, so I have to play in window mode, but I can at least play the game. Don't try being a clever bugger and messing about with resolution settings, as I've managed to make the game too big to fit the window and I can't reset it to its original resolution! I'm hopeful that once I've downloaded the game to reset the resolution again, I should be up and running. Thanks to the telltale guys and gals for looking into it. It might not be the perfect solution, but it has allowed me to play which is what I wanted.

• Just using Command + F and going into Windowed Mode solved it for me. Although I'd prefer not to play in windowed mode. Can you please update the game so we don't have to apply these workarounds?

My apologies, please try the workaround suggested by another player using Mac OS 10 Yosemite, below: 1) In System Preferences, select Dis

Unfortunately at this time there are no announced plans to update the game. For the latest news and announcements, please check out our Blog, Facebook and Twitter. Stay tuned there for updates!

Blog: http://www.telltalegames.com/blog/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheWalkingDeadGame

Twitter: https://twitter.com/telltalegames

Stringray posted: »

Just using Command + F and going into Windowed Mode solved it for me. Although I'd prefer not to play in windowed mode. Can you please update the game so we don't have to apply these workarounds?

• I have the same problem on Windows 8. I played episodes 1-3, then installed episode 4, but I get a black screen when it starts up. If I try to play any of the episodes i've already played, I get the same problem. The music plays, and I can hear the effects of my mouse scrolling over buttons, but the screen is just black. I can't figure out how to reinstall direct x (it always says its up to date and won't install it). What can I do?

If you are experiencing this issue on a PC using Windows 8 and you are able to hear the music and sound effects, please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the shortcut (Alt+Enter for PC, Command+F for Mac) and see if you are then able to see the game correctly. If so, please then try changing the game's resolution and/or graphics settings to a lower setting, and click Apply. Then try switching back to Full Screen Mode by using the same shortcut, and your issue should then be resolved.

fresheneesz posted: »

I have the same problem on Windows 8. I played episodes 1-3, then installed episode 4, but I get a black screen when it starts up. If I try

• So I was able to get it into windowed mode, but none of the settings changes helped full-screen mode to work. I was finally able to get it to work by disconnection one of my two auxiliary screens from my laptop. Thanks!

If you are experiencing this issue on a PC using Windows 8 and you are able to hear the music and sound effects, please try switching the ga

Thank you for providing the extra information on how you were able to resolve your issue. I hope you are now able to enjoy the game!

fresheneesz posted: »

So I was able to get it into windowed mode, but none of the settings changes helped full-screen mode to work. I was finally able to get it to work by disconnection one of my two auxiliary screens from my laptop. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.