Bug: Stuck in prison after talking to the voodo lady [post #8 has a working savegame]

2»

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Can someone take me step by step with this save game? I'm obviously doing something wrong Here's what Ive done:

Vista; 64bit

1. Downloaded the saved game from the first post it showed up in
    2. Wouldn't unzip in the game directory- corrupted/ bad archive
    3. Downloaded winzip and tried again, same thing
    4. Downloaded from post 8 into the saved game folder
    5. Tried winzip again- same failure messages;

What am I doing wrong?
  • edited October 2009
    have you tried downloading from this post?

You need to change the extension from .zip to .rar after you download and then open it with WinRar or similar. I got a weird error when I did so, but the saved game seemed intact anyway. I had the same problem as you with the actual zip in the previous post. Winzip says it is corrupted and there is no file in it. Happens on two of my computers and I have no idea why, unless it was made with a newer version of WinZip than what I have (9.0).
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks Kevin. It downloaded but I couldn't see it in the menu at the launch of the game. I changed the extension to ".save" and I can see it in the menu as a loadable game but it says Unknown for location and Unknown for date. Clicking on it only gives a blank screen.

Depression is setting in. Seriously though- Kevin - thanks for taking the time.
  • edited October 2009
    Nexguy wrote: »
    Thanks Kevin. It downloaded but I couldn't see it in the menu at the launch of the game. I changed the extension to ".save" and I can see it in the menu as a loadable game but it says Unknown for location and Unknown for date. Clicking on it only gives a blank screen.

If I recall correctly, the file inside the RAR should already end with .save. I'm on a different computer right now and don't have WinRar installed on this one. Depending on how your PC is set up though, you may or may not see the actual extension as part of the filename in Windows Explorer.

You just need to extract the save file out of the RAR and put it into your Ch 4 folder (where the TTG guy said to put it). You shouldn't need to change any extension other than changing the zip to a rar before unpacking.

I also read somewhere that it will show up in the game but it would say unknown for the location.

I don't know why someone from TTG hasn't chimed in yet, but unfortunately I don't know much else I can offer for help. I hope you get it going soon. Worst case scenario, you could just start the chapter over. Overall in the chapter, you're not too far if this happened right after the Voodoo Lady was put in jail (well.... maybe almost halfway), and you could probably fly through it now that you know what to do.

I was fortunate to have found out about this bug before I got a chance to play it and therefore I was able to avoid it. I did however download the saved game just to get a better idea of what needed to be done in order to try and help others with this problem.

Good luck!
  • edited October 2009
    i'm usin 7-zip aswell & downloaded the .save .. but everytime i wanna extract it 7-zip tells me that it doesn't support the compression .save .. >.<

also tried it with winrar or changin it from .zip to .rar -.-"
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    I was able to reproduce the black screen, although with something that isn't supposed to be done.
    Renaming the .rar named .zip to .save made that. Is it possible you did something like that?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Bob Kagan wrote: »
    i'm usin 7-zip aswell & downloaded the .save .. but everytime i wanna extract it 7-zip tells me that it doesn't support the compression .save .. >.<

also tried it with winrar or changin it from .zip to .rar -.-"

Have you already tried the actual .zip file that doesn't need to be renamed?
  • edited October 2009

exactly the same here .. =/
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Wessie wrote: »
    Do you have problems with Unzipping the file? If so, try another Unzipping client, WinRAR or WinZIP?

I highly recommend 7-Zip. It is free, open source and can unpack the most common formats.
    Further it worked on all files posted here and it doesn't even care about the file extension, because it uses the file header to identify the format.

WinRAR and WinZip however are commercial products, which might have limits or nag screens for their trial versions. I haven't used them in a while, so i don't know for sure what they do.
  • edited November 2009
    Here is the actual saved game file, unpacked!

I kept getting invalid zip errors on the "actual" zip file, and the other one that we were supposed to rename to a RAR gave me a CRC error. I ended up renaming the supposed ZIP to a RAR and it seemed to unpack OK but without the .save extension. I think this ended up being another zip with no extension or something, because I added a zip extension to it and then it finally unzipped to an actual save file.

Anyhoo... I uploaded the full unpacked save file to my own site (circumventing the file extension limitation on attachments in this forum). I just confirmed that it works in the game, but as mentioned previously, it will show up as unknown location and unknown date. Just download and put into your game's 'saved game' folder as mentioned previously. No need to unpack or rename anything. :)

Saved Game

This should work for those of you still having problems getting the downloads in the other posts to work.
  • edited November 2009
    Cheers Kevin Man! .. i rly appreciate that .. it's workin .. u so made mah day m8! ;D
  • edited November 2009
    Bob Kagan wrote: »
    Cheers Kevin Man! .. i rly appreciate that .. it's workin .. u so made mah day m8! ;D

Three cheers for Kevin!!! I can finally play the game again and there is some time left in the weekend to do it. PLEASE let me know if I can ever return the favor!

Telltale- Why was the only support I received from a member and not one of you? Why did you zip the file anyway or at lkeast offer a choice? You should hire him or at least learn from his example.
  • edited November 2009
    <snip>You should hire him<snip>

That sounds like sage advice. When do I start, Telltale? :D

In all seriousness, I am glad that it helped you get back to your games. I didn't intend to make TTG look bad in any way; they've worked hard on this game. I just hate to see fellow MI fans unable to play because they are stuck through no fault of their own. I had issues getting the saved game extracted myself and I've been using compression software since the DOS days of "pkzip". Oh well. :confused:
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for posting the file Kevin! I have yet to figure out why zip files are so finicky in these forums. At any rate, we hope to get the jail problem fixed soon.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the save file, i was just about to go into a pox crazed state myself when i got the bug
    edited November 2009
    Hey guys, just to let you know we've put out an updated version of the build, fixing this bug and a few others. I'm not entirely sure if your broken save games will suddenly start working (they probably won't), but at least this should prevent it from happening in the future. Sorry about that!
  • edited November 2009
    Where's the updated iinstaller? The one in My Games is the same as the original (according to diff).
    edited November 2009
    Hold on, I'm checking that now. It might not have updated yet.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Zhadnost wrote: »
    Where's the updated iinstaller? The one in My Games is the same as the original (according to diff).

Confirmed. According to:
    CRC-32: 35bfd898
    MD4: 4f98af1ccfc0bcbd742502ffceef77d1
    MD5: 0e233410b0fcaa9eaa7a506b9a1f7223
    SHA-1: ffd8443c649e4e8968f77bc61a7f99c5ecf99049
    edited November 2009
    Apparently the system is just slow, but it all seems to be up and running now! I cleared my temp internet files, redownloaded it and got the proper hash:

File: ToMI_TrialOfGuybrush_Setup.exe
    CRC-32: 10ece440
    MD4: bf1532edd7a6bee09c4db83a904d0890
    MD5: 38110b43e992f4b6d5f9e5235a52f2f3
    SHA-1: 10de8c5853cd643ab427a3667466c0da6919d64a
  • edited November 2009
    Still same file here, Maybe it's a clustering thing. Will try again later.

Also if I fetch it from my hosted machine (in France).

0e233410b0fcaa9eaa7a506b9a1f7223 ToMI_TrialOfGuybrush_Setup.exe (MD5)

When fetched from either 87.248.210.208 or 87.248.210.237
  • edited November 2009
    Zhadnost wrote: »
    Still same file here, Maybe it's a clustering thing. Will try again later.

Also if I fetch it from my hosted machine (in France).

0e233410b0fcaa9eaa7a506b9a1f7223 ToMI_TrialOfGuybrush_Setup.exe (MD5)

When fetched from either 87.248.210.208 or 87.248.210.237

Yey, new file there now.
  • edited November 2009
    This happened to me as well and the save game was just the trick. Nice little edge case of a bug, though, because the second time I did exactly what I did the first time, and I remained outside of the cell.
  • edited November 2009
    Will the Steam version be updated?
  • edited November 2009
    I downloaded the game from amazon and now I'm stuck in the Loop of Lechuck (TM). I'm playing on windows XP and I'm not able to open any of the previous zip files. Can anyone help me?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I downloaded the game from amazon and now I'm stuck in the Loop of Lechuck (TM). I'm playing on windows XP and I'm not able to open any of the previous zip files. Can anyone help me?

Have you tried this file?
  • edited December 2009
    this is a wierd bug. it worked on system X but not on system Y. It's wierd.
  • edited December 2009
    KevinD872 wrote: »

I kept getting invalid zip errors on the "actual" zip file, and the other one that we were supposed to rename to a RAR gave me a CRC error. I ended up renaming the supposed ZIP to a RAR and it seemed to unpack OK but without the .save extension. I think this ended up being another zip with no extension or something, because I added a zip extension to it and then it finally unzipped to an actual save file.

Anyhoo... I uploaded the full unpacked save file to my own site (circumventing the file extension limitation on attachments in this forum). I just confirmed that it works in the game, but as mentioned previously, it will show up as unknown location and unknown date. Just download and put into your game's 'saved game' folder as mentioned previously. No need to unpack or rename anything. :)

Saved Game

This should work for those of you still having problems getting the downloads in the other posts to work.

It works.........
    THX amillion
  • edited May 2010
    KevinD872 wrote: »

Finally, someone sensible, thank you!
  • edited October 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Hey guys, just to let you know we've put out an updated version of the build, fixing this bug and a few others. I'm not entirely sure if your broken save games will suddenly start working (they probably won't), but at least this should prevent it from happening in the future. Sorry about that!

I bought this game on steam a few days ago, i got bugged out, and i raged. The save file seems to work so far, thanks.
  • edited November 2010
    Crackfight wrote: »
    I bought this game on steam a few days ago, i got bugged out, and i raged. The save file seems to work so far, thanks.

Ditto, I got this on Steam a few days ago and have been hit with this bug. Only question is where to put the save file?

(Running Win7 64bit)
  • edited November 2010
    Sleight wrote: »
    Ditto, I got this on Steam a few days ago and have been hit with this bug. Only question is where to put the save file?

(Running Win7 64bit)

Bump!
  • edited November 2010
    Sleight wrote: »
    Bump!
    Documents/Telltale Games/the trial and the execution of gb tw/
  • Where is the save file you just posted?? i can't find it :( .... i'm stuck in the jail too and don't want to restart the episode :O .

TesterNick posted: »

here's a save file for you to try from right after you are released. just place it in C:\Documents and Settings\Nick Mastroianni\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

It was most likely attached to the post, but since the Forum has changed recently it was lost. The new Forum doesn't support attached files anymore.

Where is the save file you just posted?? i can't find it .... i'm stuck in the jail too and don't want to restart the episode :O .

• where is the save file to download?.

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

This was the save file attached earlier in this thread:

Save File

You will need to download it, and place it inside your

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Trial And Execution of Guybrush Threepwood\

file directory, then start the game again, and see if you are able to successfully progress in the episode.

nizamxd posted: »

where is the save file to download?.

This discussion has been closed.