The Walking Dead Season 2 Save Games Are Gone

Greetings,

I have a very frustrating problem. The save games from playing this game several months ago are all lost. I'm too afraid to check if my saves from Season 1 are still there.

I have tried everything suggested in other threads, so far at least, and nothing has worked. I disabled the Steam cloud for the game, copied the savefiles from what I had configured Windows into being my Documents folder to the actual folder C:\User\Tiny\Douments. Still nothing.

I have played the game before, I simply took a bit of a hiatus, but now it doesn't even recognize my progress. I have the Steam achievements to prove that it's not just in my head either.

Support Tool result: https://www.sendspace.com/file/tzlx9k

The easiest would of course be for me to just play through it again, but I want to know what's wrong so it won't happen again... neither to this game nor to my other Telltale games. Another reason to not just play it again is, besides the waste of time, the fact that I'm still too frustrated with this situation as it is to even dare check if the progress of Season 1 is still there; i.e. I can't be sure Season 2 will take those choices into consideration. Worst case scenario all my progress, both Season 1 and Season 2 are lost.

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately after looking over your Support Tool information, I can't seem to find any save files for The Walking Dead: Season Two. It appears that you have installed Season Two to three separate locations on your computer:

C:\Blizzard Games\
    C:\Games\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\

I recommend uninstalling the first two instances of the game so that the only instance of the game that remains installed is in the Steam file directory starting with \Program Files (x86)\

If you have a backup of your save files, the correct/defauly file directory for your save files is

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

Please make sure both your save files, as well as your prefs.prop file associated with those save files is in this file directory, then restart the game and you should be able to continue your Season Two save.

• Apologies for the late update. All those paths point to the same physical drive location, so it is just one instance of the game.

I am not aware of any backups of my save files, so I'm guessing it's safe to assume that my Season 1 saves are gone as well. I have accepted defeat. For whatever reason the files are completely gone. No idea if Steam deleted the save files, despite not usually doing so, when I chose to "Delete local content" during my hiatus from the game but I guess it's possible.

PS. This won't change anything for me personally, but the "C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents..."-part of the directory can be something else if the user changed it in the Properties of the Documents-folder (as I have), e.g. it's "D:\Documents" in my case. Nothing should change if the files are moved from that user specified folder to the actual "C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents..." folder path as the computer should read it the same way. My save games of other Telltale games are located in my "D:\Documents"-folder with no problems whatsoever. Simply stating this in case someone stumbles upon my thread looking for answers.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately after looking over your Support Tool information, I can't seem to find any save files for T

• edited April 2015

I wonder if you can help me. Basically i had an issue loading episode 4 of season 1 of TWD. So i followed some suggestions from forums and now my files are all over the place! I now have no saved data at all and it just takes me to the begining, though i can see the saved files in my documents. Here is my link https://www.sendspace.com/file/ulqn8o

Thank you for providing the extra information, I apologize I was unable to assist you further with your issue.

TinyPhreak posted: »

Apologies for the late update. All those paths point to the same physical drive location, so it is just one instance of the game. I am no

@shezJW Please try renaming the prefs.prop files in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104\

and

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

to prefs.prop.bak to disable them, then restart the game, and your save files should be restored.

shezJW posted: »

I wonder if you can help me. Basically i had an issue loading episode 4 of season 1 of TWD. So i followed some suggestions from forums and n

• I tried this several times but every time i do it just creates another pref.prop file in the public folder. I have also tried disabling steamcloud and opening the game offline but still doesn't work.

@shezJW Please try renaming the prefs.prop files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104\

After you disable Steam Cloud saving for the game, and you delete the prefs.prop from the Public folder, it should not create another prefs.prop file in that location. Can you please clarify if you are currently playing the game in a Compatibility Mode? If so, there may be a different save file directory registering as your current save directory.

I tried this several times but every time i do it just creates another pref.prop file in the public folder. I have also tried disabling steamcloud and opening the game offline but still doesn't work.

• No, i currently have compatibility mode unticked for steam. Although it was ticked earlier when i was trying to fix the crash of episode 4, don't know if this may have caused problems now?

After you disable Steam Cloud saving for the game, and you delete the prefs.prop from the Public folder, it should not create another prefs.

• To add, when i open the game a message pops up saying that walkingdead101.exe wants to make changes to my hard drive, i think it is this that is creating the new pref.props files

After you disable Steam Cloud saving for the game, and you delete the prefs.prop from the Public folder, it should not create another prefs.

If you have Steam not set to Compatibility Mode, please also make sure that you have also set The Walking Dead to not use a Compatibility Mode, as both Steam and the game are registering as being set to Compatibility mode in your Support Tool information.

No, i currently have compatibility mode unticked for steam. Although it was ticked earlier when i was trying to fix the crash of episode 4, don't know if this may have caused problems now?

• Just to clarify, is the actual game 'walkingdead101'? As i have disabled that compatibility mode and still no joy. Heres the route i took:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Walking Dead

If you have Steam not set to Compatibility Mode, please also make sure that you have also set The Walking Dead to not use a Compatibility Mo

That is the correct file location. Unfortunately if you are still unable to use your save files in-game, your save files may have become corrupted. I recommend now that you have changed all of the file names (prefs.prop.bak) and taken the game/Steam out of Compatibility Mode, please run the Support Tool one more time, and copy and paste the new download link after you have uploaded it, and I will be able to look at your updated information, and try to assist you further.

Just to clarify, is the actual game 'walkingdead101'? As i have disabled that compatibility mode and still no joy. Heres the route i took: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Walking Dead

• Forgot to mention before that I have a 64bit system, dont know if that makes any difference to how the programme operates?

Here is my new link
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/3i4tqh

That is the correct file location. Unfortunately if you are still unable to use your save files in-game, your save files may have become cor

In your original Support Tool information, you had a prefs.prop file that was 90kb in size in your

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

file directory. That one is now missing and is replaced with a 6kb file. Can you please clarify if you moved the 90kb file? That one should be the one that corresponds with your save files.

Forgot to mention before that I have a 64bit system, dont know if that makes any difference to how the programme operates? Here is my new link https://www.sendspace.com/file/3i4tqh

This discussion has been closed.