Poker Night crashing on OS X Mavericks

Poker Night at The Inventory is crashing in OS X Mavericks. The game loads, goes through the intro, then leads me to the intro tutorial on how to play poker. When I click "Done" the game crashes whether or not I click through the entire tutorial.

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff
    edited May 2015

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately as stated in the game's 'About This Game' section,

****Not Compatible with Mac OS 10.8.x and above****

I recommend playing the game on a Mac with a compatible OS, or contacting Steam Support directly for any inquiries regarding refunds, or refund requests.

• This is true only for the Steam page. Having bought the title through the Humble Store which only lists the following requirements:

Mac:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    Memory: 1GB RAM
    Graphics: Macs with integrated graphics
    Hard Drive: 100MB space free

With no addendum regarding compatibility, may I expect my refund?

Having seen multiple threads regarding this issue I need to say this is a very cheap and classless move on TTG's part. I hope this is the most expensive $5 you ever wind up making.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately as stated in the game's 'About This Game' section, ****Not Compatible with Mac OS 10.

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

My sincerest apologies, we are currently trying to get Humble to update their store page for the game to include this messaging. For any inquireis regarding refunds, or refund requests, you will need to contact Humble Support directly for further assistance.

systemchalk posted: »

This is true only for the Steam page. Having bought the title through the Humble Store which only lists the following requirements: Mac:

• edited May 2015

I have contacted them as well. However, I will point out that the all past messaging on the part of TTG has said (or at least heavily implied) that any requests for refunds would not be done because of the clear messaging on the Steam page (which is a conclusion I am uncomfortable with, but also cannot found a legitimate complaint about).

This logic does not apply to this situation. Nor does it apply to customers who purchased it through Greenman Gaming or GamersGate which also do not have the warning found on Steam. TTG is likely to have a record of the original complaint, but if the compatibility warning on Steam is to be believed then this problem has been persistent since OS X Mountain Lion, which will be three years old in two months. So I'm either to believe that the "currently trying to get Humble to update their store page" has been ongoing for approximately 3 years, and that the same delay has plagued two other resellers (notably, Amazon.com is an exception in that it sells this as a PC only title, which I feel is the appropriate classification of this title), or that this change is coming about specifically because of this complaint (and if so, you're welcome for me doing the research into the other sellers that should have been updated years ago).

The first scenario strains all credibility, and so I must conclude that, at my own expense, I have been enrolled as a copy editor for TTG's digital reseller material (and, as a mac gamer, I do actually read the specifications in good faith knowing that not every title is mac compatible). No admission of wrongdoing on TTG's part, despite the fact that they have presumably been selling a product that they know will not work under the listed specifications for nearly three years through these outlets, only an instruction to take it up with the seller. Furthermore, TTG has openly stated that there is no intention to fix the product, and have the temerity to suggest that users downgrade their OS in order to play the title. I'm sure the team is very proud of the title (although presumably not proud enough to actually continue supporting), but there is no game in existence that merits a downgrade to an operating system that is over three years old (for context, the intervening period between the debut of 10.7 and present has seen the rise of Islamic State, the Arab Spring, the re-election of Barack Obama, the Boston Marathon Bombing and the sentencing of one of the perpetrators, the formation of the Occupy Wall St. movement, the retirement of and election of a new Pope, the death of Osama bin Laden, a new Ebola scare, the discovery of the Higgs boson, the bankruptcy of Blockbuster video, the first commercial space flight, and the Fukushima disaster). TTG is willfully selling a product they know will not work, claiming on a majority of resellers that it will, then telling customers to look elsewhere to make amends.

All this is during a time where some developers are not just continuing to support their existing titles, but are actively adding new features free of charge. I fully recognize that it may not be feasible for a developer to provide indefinite support for their titles. However I will make two concluding points. First, TTG should strongly reconsider listing this title as mac compatible. The overwhelming majority of mac users cannot run this title (either through machines that are too old under the old PPC architecture, or have taken the outrageous step of keeping their operating system up to date), and TTG has been clear they do not intend to change this fact. Continued mac sales are based entirely on the cynical assumption that people will not pursue a refund once they find the product does not work and encounter some pushback regarding their request (one that is perfectly legitimate in the case of the failure to report the restriction on the sites listed above).

The second point concerns my future interaction with TTG. Having enjoyed several titles, I now know that my experience of any of its products may be arbitrarily terminated with the advent of a new OS update. Given that this appears to be unique to this developer, this clearly will factor into my decision to purchase titles that I had previously anticipated. Furthermore, where I had once enthusiastically recommended them, I feel it would be irresponsible of me to recommend any TTG title given that any value these titles hold are entirely contingent on the whims of the development team once an OS update is released. Based on my personal experience, I can't even rely on the games already for sale to be operational given the misinformation that has presumably persisted for years.

I cannot see this as anything but the maximum possible punishment to people who have acted in good faith, for the smallest possible benefit. It's disgraceful, and TTG should unquestionably be held to account for its behaviour.

My sincerest apologies, we are currently trying to get Humble to update their store page for the game to include this messaging. For any inq

This discussion has been closed.