Sam and Max Season 1 Collector's DVD on Win7/64 not working anymore?

No matter which episode I try to start it always crashes before start.
The download version still works. Did anybody experience the same?

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

If you currently have both the disc version and the digital download version installed to your computer, can you please clarify if you installed the disc version of the game to the default file path, or to a custom install path (possibly on a secondary drive)? The default file path for both disc and digital versions of the game are the same file location.

• The Sam & Max Season 1 Collector's DVD had some copy protection on it that required the DVD be in the drive when you start any of the games. Are you starting with the DVD in the drive? It's also possible that copy protection thing hates Win7/64-bit.

• edited June 2015

At first I only had installed the Collector's DVD version and used a different directory and a different drive as the default one. After that was not working I installed the download version of Episode 1.1 without even uninstalling the DVD to the same directory as I installed the DVD version and the episode worked. I then tried several combinations of compatibility settings and installation directorys (including the default one) but never got the DVD to work. The only way I was able to get the DVD version to work (but much too slow to even enjoy the game) was by installing Virtualbox with XP on it. That is why I was wondering if somebody was able to play the DVD version on a W7/64 OS at all. I noticed that the DVD version besides being copy protected also has a different file structure than the download version (.aud and .vox files instead of .ttarch files) maybe that could be part of the problem with the DVD?

Maybe it helps if I post my system specs:

CPU: Intel i5-4440 @3.1 Ghz - 8GB RAM

GPU: nvidia GTX 960 w/2GB VRAM - newest driver (352.86)

Here is my dxdiag file if it helps:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B45YJj6bhfxabFJNWjREV0FHd1E/view?usp=sharing

And this is the error message (probably not that useful):

Problemereignisname: APPCRASH

Anwendungsname: SamMax101.exe

Anwendungsversion: 0.0.0.0

Anwendungszeitstempel: 00000000

Fehlermodulname: SamMax101.exe

Fehlermodulversion: 0.0.0.0

Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 00000000

Ausnahmecode: c0000005

Ausnahmeoffset: 00320061

Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Gebietsschema-ID: 1031

Zusatzinformation 1: 46e6

Zusatzinformation 2: 46e63bda6f3d7d26c0d9e32be3d65f4e

Zusatzinformation 3: 391f

Zusatzinformation 4: 391fde7e9bc6a9db68ceafeac6cb5427

If you currently have both the disc version and the digital download version installed to your computer, can you please clarify if you insta

• Yes, DVD is in drive. Without DVD I get the message to insert it. The autostart menu pops up and I can chose an episode. If I click "play episode" the game crashes.

WarpSpeed posted: »

The Sam & Max Season 1 Collector's DVD had some copy protection on it that required the DVD be in the drive when you start any of the ga

• I found out what the problem is. Securom and the incompatibility of this Securom with a newer system. I got Episode 1 to run using the Securom Diagnostic/Update Tool. Unfortunately this is the only episode for which there is an update. Zhat is the reason why DRM is sooooo bad. Bough a game and thanks to DRM you can now throw it away :(

My apologies, unfortunately I do not have any recommendations for you to try and resolve your issue at this time. I have passed it along to the team for further investigation, and hope to have more info on a resolution for you soon.

MarkoH01 posted: »

I found out what the problem is. Securom and the incompatibility of this Securom with a newer system. I got Episode 1 to run using the Secur

• There is a pretty simple resolution for this: make a patch which disables securom in the executables and the DVD will work again. Since the game is already available DRM-free I don't think that this would be unreasonable.

My apologies, unfortunately I do not have any recommendations for you to try and resolve your issue at this time. I have passed it along to the team for further investigation, and hope to have more info on a resolution for you soon.

At this time we have not announced plans to update the DVD version of Sam and Max Season 1 to DRM-free. The download version of the game was recently updated to DRM-free and should be able to be played without experiencing this issue.

MarkoH01 posted: »

There is a pretty simple resolution for this: make a patch which disables securom in the executables and the DVD will work again. Since the game is already available DRM-free I don't think that this would be unreasonable.

• edited June 2015

May I ask: now that all Telltale Games besides a small handful have been released DRM Free here or in other outlets (either GOG or Humble Bundle), can the entire back catalogue just be made DRM free? At the very least, can the ones you no longer sell (Bone and Telltale Texas Holdem) be made DRM free?

The only games that haven't been made available DRM free are Sam and Max Season 2, Bone 1&2, Telltale Texas Hold'em, SBCG4AP, Jurassic Park, and Law & Order.

We have not announced plans to update all of our previous games to DRM-free, but I will make sure to pass your feedback and interest in making them DRM-free, along to the team, though!

EMAN528 posted: »

May I ask: now that all Telltale Games besides a small handful have been released DRM Free here or in other outlets (either GOG or Humble Bu

• Thank you for passing that on. Something to mull over though. Both of the Bone discs and Sam and Max Season 2 Discs appear to have the same issue as Sam and Max Season 1's Disc. I got SBCG4AP to work though.

This discussion has been closed.