Walking Dead: Game ruining bug (Choices not carrying over, Episode 4 -> Episode 5)

124»

Comments

• https://www.sendspace.com/file/2bcnxb My data is not carrying over from episode 1 to episode 2 (season 1, PC). In my game i chose to save
    Carly but Doug is alive when I started episode 2.
    Thanks

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2015

@Shorn101 I apologize for any difficulties this has caused you. Please rename the prefs.prop file in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game and your save files will be restored.

• I'm having the same problem in s1 episode 1-episode 2. It didn't happen with my previous game.
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/lytpwk
    And where do you change the file name? (Trying to fix it myself with info above) My terminal is saying the file doesn't exist.

edited June 2015

@betsyhope Please rename the prefs.prop file located in

/Users/betsyhope/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game and your save files will be restored.

(Your Library folder is sometimes hidden, to make it visible, please open a Finder window, and at the top of the screen, click Go and hold down the Option key. The Library will now become available in the drop down menu. Click that and follow the above file path, and rename the folder specified above.)

betsyhope posted: »

I'm having the same problem in s1 episode 1-episode 2. It didn't happen with my previous game. https://www.sendspace.com/file/lytpwk And

• Help me please....game didn't take my decisions from season 1, episode 4 into episode 5
    here's the link:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/sumewv

Please rename the prefs.prop file located in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104

Help me please....game didn't take my decisions from season 1, episode 4 into episode 5 here's the link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/sumewv

• I'm on PS4, I have beaten the first two episodes in Season One and now when I try to play three I get a message that acts as if I skipped the first two. I went and did the rewind a played the last checkpoint in episode two and that didn't help, it is still asking me "Generate story decisions for skipped episodes?"

Please rename the prefs.prop file located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104 to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game and your save files will be restored.

My apologies, can you please clarify if you are playing the disc version or the digital download version of the game? Also, are you currently playing the game on the original account/profile that you downloaded/played the game on, or a different profile?

I'm on PS4, I have beaten the first two episodes in Season One and now when I try to play three I get a message that acts as if I skipped th

• The disc version and on my original account.

My apologies, can you please clarify if you are playing the disc version or the digital download version of the game? Also, are you currentl

Are you currently connected to the internet and logged into a PSN account when starting the game, or are you playing completely offline?

The disc version and on my original account.

• Connected to the internet.

Are you currently connected to the internet and logged into a PSN account when starting the game, or are you playing completely offline?

• edited July 2015

I've got enought that stupid bug, when developers cannot decide where they want to store information about saved game files... So after short research about how to eliminate that bug I decided to wrote simply script which works from XP to Windows 8.1 and let players enjoy using that game without worrying after each episode whoch file from what place they should move where? All you need to do is to create new text file named for example TWD.bat at any place you want and include in that file code listed below (without start and end lines), and of course modify first two lines respectivelly to reflect your settings:

first line must points to place with your userprofile directory with prefs.prop file inside it (on windows xp it is by default somewhere in "c:\documents and settings" on vista and later in "c:\users"

second line must points to subdir in steamapp dir with prefs.prop

If you play a little bit with prefs.prop files you should know where they are, so all you need to change that lines respectivelly, and after that please save script and run it by doubleclick on created twd.bat file, and voila, files will be synchronized each time game starts keeping newest files in both dirs without moving them by hand left to right. I really don't jknow why after so many years so stupid bug was not fixed on steam version of game and why it still ruins gameplay though.

--- start ---

set doc_path="C:\Documents and Settings\Mandi\Moje dokumenty\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead"

set steam_path="H:\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default"

set file_name="prefs.prop"

xcopy %doc_path%\%file_name% %steam_path%\%file_name% /D /Y /Q

xcopy %steam_path%\%file_name% %doc_path%\%file_name% /D /Y /Q

if exists %steam_path%..\WalkingDead104\%file_name% del %steam_path%..\WalkingDead104\%file_name% /F /Q

cd /D %steam_path%

..\..\WalkingDead101.exe

--- end ---

Edited: some typos fixed and adding workaround for episode4 - episode 5 not moving decisions bug... Though... :-(

• edited July 2015

In script above I make a one misspell, but I also tried to fix problem with path with spaces inside, so fixed version here:

--- start ---

set doc_path=C:\Documents and Settings\Mandi\Moje dokumenty\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

set steam_path=H:\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default

set file_name=prefs.prop

xcopy "%doc_path%\%file_name%" "%steam_path%\%file_name%" /D /Y /Q

xcopy "%steam_path%\%file_name%" "%doc_path%\%file_name%" /D /Y /Q

if exist "%steam_path%..\WalkingDead104\%file_name%" del "%steam_path%..\WalkingDead104\%file_name%" /F /Q

cd /D "%steam_path%\..\.."

WalkingDead101.exe

--- end ---

MandiATO posted: »

I've got enought that stupid bug, when developers cannot decide where they want to store information about saved game files... So after shor

• So what can I do to fix this issue on my PS4?

After reading your original post, it sounds as though your save files may have become corrupted. I unfortunately would have to recommend try deleting that particular save slot from the in-game Save Files menu, then starting a new game. If you still experience issues with the game not saving correctly/not transferring choices between episodes, I would recommend try deleting and re-downloading the game from your console, then try again.

So what can I do to fix this issue on my PS4?

This discussion has been closed.