(STEAM) The Walking Dead Crash in Connecting Screen

edited July 2015 in Game Support

Ok, I can only play it if my internet connection is turned off.
I already played the game and the second game of it (season 2) but I want the achievments of the first game ;-; and I'm not able to get it because of this bug, or whatever it is, I was looking for a solution since 2014 and nothing works.
Compatibility, anti-virus and firewalls offs, put a .dll in game directory, nothing.

A help please? ;-;

obs: sorry for this bad english, i'm not to good on it.

Edit¹: btw, in 2014 I was using win8 32, now i'm with a win7 64 and this f***ing bug still there.

Edit²: I run the Telltale games support tool, like in another discussion I've seen here, and there it is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jtz134mlu619bjn/TWD_support_data_pc.zip

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

My apologies for any difficulties this has caused you. Can you please clarify if when you reach the connecting screen, does the game freeze, result in a black screen, or crash back to your desktop? Also, what .dll file did you place into the game directory?

• Hi Mike.
    I click play on steam, the game starts, normally, but when it ask me to press any key to continue, I press, so the "connecting" bar appears, for 2 seconds and the game close, and back to my desktop, before showing a "thewalkingdead101 stopped working" error but now it doesn't happen, the game simply close and shows my desktop.
    About the .dll, I was looking around the internet and find a lot of people saying that maybe if I put a .dll named "dinput8" the error would stop, I was trying this when I was on win8, and they sayed about turn off a xbox control too, but I don't have one so I ignored it.

and one more time, apologize me about my english xD

My apologies for any difficulties this has caused you. Can you please clarify if when you reach the connecting screen, does the game freeze,

After looking over your Support Tool information again, I noticed you currently have the game installed to your D:\ drive, as well as a backup install of the game on your G:\ drive. I recommend try installing an instance of Steam on your default drive (C:\ drive) as well as installing the game to your C:\ drive, and you should then be able to start the game successfully.

felipz0r posted: »

Hi Mike. I click play on steam, the game starts, normally, but when it ask me to press any key to continue, I press, so the "connecting" ba

• I unnistalled the steam from my D:\ drive and installed on my C:\ drive so too my the walking dead game, start Steam, press play, same thing, the game close on Connecting Screen.
    by the way, I started my Steam with admin privileges, and another without it, same for the two attempts.

After looking over your Support Tool information again, I noticed you currently have the game installed to your \ drive, as well as a backup

My apologies, please find a few more potential solutions to resolve your issue below (You may have tried a few of these, but I will provide all of the potential solutions to resolve your issue below):

1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for both your graphics card, and your computer’s BIOS

2) Restart your system

3) Unplug your gamepad (and all other USB devices other than keyboard/mouse) and plug in headphones to the audio out jack.

4) Verify your cache if you purchased through Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

5) Run the game as admin

6) Run the game in compatibility mode (right click on game’s icon, click properties, click compatibility tab , and we recommend running the game in Windows 98/ME ) (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

7) Reinstall the game

8) Make sure that the Steam application is not set to a compatibility mode (right click on steam and click properties, then check compatibility, and make sure that it is not checked to play in a different OS)

9) Disable Steam Overlay, if you purchased through Steam (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3168263)

10) Opt out of the Steam Beta, if you purchased through Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828934424165581080/)

11) Are you currently connected through a wired connection, or through a wireless network connection? If you were connected wirelessly, I recommend try either connecting through a wired connection if you have the ability to, or try resetting your wireless network access point (Modem/Router), then try starting the game again after you have reconnected, and see if your connection strength is stronger, and allows you to connect, and successfully unlock the Achievements.

I unnistalled the steam from my \ drive and installed on my C:\ drive so too my the walking dead game, start Steam, press play, same thing,

• Ok, I did a few things on this list.
    Run the game on compatibility didn't helped me.
    Verify my cache, done, didn't helped me.
    I don't have a gamepad, and neither a headphone, all that I have is a USB device to connect my speakers, I tryed to remove this USB and the game don't even get to the connecting screen and crash.
    I don't need to update my graphic card's drivers, it's already updated (I can play the walking dead season 2 with no problems)
    I disable steam orverley, didn't solved.

For the last one question you made me, I'm using a shared connection to the internet.
    The Modem and the router wifi it's in another house, but I have access from my computer to the router.
    So, in the another house, it's there a Modem, a router wifi including switches input to put my network cable and connect to my PC. I don't think this changes nothing be cause my internet connection is not bad at all and I can play the walking dead season 2 and another games without a problem.

I don't know what to do, really.
    Maybe my pc it's blocking my connection to the servers for some reason?
    I don't think it is cuz I can play the Season 2 normally, but I turned off my firewall and anti-virus to test it, and don't solved my problem.

This situation is complicated right now xD

My apologies, please find a few more potential solutions to resolve your issue below (You may have tried a few of these, but I will provide

I noticed your computer's BIOS hasn't been updated in about 3 years. If you can, I recommend try updating it to the latest available version.

Also, if you still have the .dll file that you added to the games file directory, in that folder, please delete it, as this has been known to cause crashes such as the one you are describing.

Ok, I did a few things on this list. Run the game on compatibility didn't helped me. Verify my cache, done, didn't helped me. I don't hav

• Ok, but I won't update my bios because I never did this before and I afraid to do something wrong and damage my motherboard. And I already deleted the .dll to test and didn't solved my problem.
    Maybe I can call a technician in this area.
    But it is really necessary? I mean, if I can play Season 2 normally why I can't play Season 1? both do not use the same server? I'm confused.
    Thanks for your attention Mike.

I noticed your computer's BIOS hasn't been updated in about 3 years. If you can, I recommend try updating it to the latest available version

My apologies, my only other potential solution would be to not only uninstall The Walking Dead, but also delete your 'The Walking Dead' folder/save file directory that has all of your Season One save files up to this point, from the following location on your computer:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\

Then after you have deleted the folder, and reinstalled the game, try starting the game again, and see if you are able to start it, connect with our servers, and start the game while online. (If you do not wish to fully delete your save file folder, you can also move it (The Walking Dead folder) to your desktop, and rename the prefs.prop file inside, to prefs.prop.bak to disable it. Then start the game without a 'The Walking Dead' folder inside the file directory, and it will create a new one for you.)

Ok, but I won't update my bios because I never did this before and I afraid to do something wrong and damage my motherboard. And I already d

• edited July 2015

When I delete it, my steam Cloud download it back before my game starts.
    So I desactivated Steam Cloud, made a backup in my desktop for the saves and deleted the files from Telltale Games folder, and still the same, reaches connecting screen, the game closes.

My apologies, my only other potential solution would be to not only uninstall The Walking Dead, but also delete your 'The Walking Dead' fold

Could you please clarify if you have tried both wireless and wired connections, or are you unable to try connecting through a wired connection?

When I delete it, my steam Cloud download it back before my game starts. So I desactivated Steam Cloud, made a backup in my desktop for the

• I can't connect to a wireless.

Could you please clarify if you have tried both wireless and wired connections, or are you unable to try connecting through a wired connection?

My apologies, unfortunately I am out of potential solutions to resolve your issue. Please contact/email our Support Staff at Support@Telltalegames.com, and they will be able to assist you further with your issue. Please make sure to include all of the steps you have tried already, in the email to support.

I can't connect to a wireless.

• Ok Mike, thanks for all your help.I sent an email to the support contact, hope they read it soon and be able to help me with this issue.Thank you and Good night, Mike.

My apologies, unfortunately I am out of potential solutions to resolve your issue. Please contact/email our Support Staff at Support@Telltal

This discussion has been closed.