Life Is Strange - True Colors Out Now, Bonus Episode "Wavelengths" September 30th

Comments

• edited July 2015

Im looking at buying 'Life is Strange' would you say it's worth buying?

• That was a bit of sarcasm. Honestly, showing a rotting decomposing body on screen might be a bit too much for some people though.

rousseau posted: »

a dead body would be going too far. Really, you think so? We've seen people dying on screen, so a dead body wouldn't be pushing the boundaries, I think. They are handling grim topics so well, they shouldn't shy away from this.

• I'm almost sure it wasn't a bag. They just dug it up, that's what she finished doing and it smells like a dead body.

Flog61 posted: »

I'm certain it was a bag, that's why Max only reacted to the smell after doing something with it, she doesn't smell it when she uncovers it.

• Absolutely.

KBTurner posted: »

• a big YES

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

It's not cycling of the writers that is the problem necessarily. Having a close group of different writers that all understand each other and their visions (like Mark Darin, Gary Whitta, Sean Vanaman did) can work out just fine. It's when you have a disjointed group of writers that problems start to arise.

S2 of TWD largely felt like there was a conflict of interest between the writers that (unfortunately) followed a majority of the season. It's not because they had multiple writers that this happened, it's because they had multiple writers that weren't in tune with one another.

To work off that cooks analogy: having a bunch of cooks that understand each other and share a common goal or vision can work. Having a bunch of cooks that have different ideas on how to prepare the same dish, however, will inevitably run into problems.

I think part of the reason for DontNod's narrative success is that the same people write each episode, whereas Telltale cycle lead writers, leading to a more disjointed plot.

• edited July 2015

Yep, it'd be even worse than those theories that Max is Rachel (they forget that Chloe knows her parents).

The only interesting thing I found about the final scene was a picture of that disgusting bastard standing behind Max and Chloe.

Agreed.

• But if it's rotting and decomposting how could Chloe identify it so fast? And it was dark too.

That was a bit of sarcasm. Honestly, showing a rotting decomposing body on screen might be a bit too much for some people though.

• HELL to the YES

• Alt text

• Too dark? It was still completely light out.

But if it's rotting and decomposting how could Chloe identify it so fast? And it was dark too.

• And episode was waaay to long. I got a hedache beacuse of it.

Take a break? But I'm guessing you couldn't, because you were so excited.

• Cheers. I'll give it a go then.

• Ouh, right. I confused it with the second time they went there. Still, either they developer's rushed the scene or they wanted to make it look like Chloe jumped to a conclusion. I hope we find out.

Too dark? It was still completely light out.

• It's Rachel, you can deny it but it is Rachel.

Ouh, right. I confused it with the second time they went there. Still, either they developer's rushed the scene or they wanted to make it look like Chloe jumped to a conclusion. I hope we find out.

• I have played both TWD seasons, TWAU, game of thrones and life is strange. Definitely all worth playing and it is natural to compare due to their episodic nature. I think Telltales dialogue is far superior, but choices do have more weight in life. If Chloe has the gun, is Frank or his dog alive, is kate, does Victoria believe you based on how you treat her etc. The path you take changes far more scenes are different. Also the reveal of the real antagonist makes sense, there are hints compared to the nonsensical GOT traitors reveal. IMO I would put life is strange in the first tier with TWD season 1 and TWAU.TWD season 2 and GoT just fall short. It hurts considering GOT is my fav show, but the game is still good so can't complain too much. Game on everyone.

• edited July 2015

Watch the scene again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDo5afsifow

Max uncovers something at 2:18, which Chloe does not recognise (or she would react at that point). Then the camera changes angle and she does something to it, likely widening the hole, and we see the hole again. Max then does something which looks very much like unzipping a bag, at 2:22. Immediately after she does this, she falls away complaining about the smell and Chloeimmediately recognises Rachel, with the camera careful throughout the whole scene not to show what they saw, implying it was very different to the blue fabric we see here, and at the very end: I'm pretty sure this means it was a bag, and max revealed the head, making Rachel recognisable.

I'm almost sure it wasn't a bag. They just dug it up, that's what she finished doing and it smells like a dead body.

• edited July 2015

You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you...

jarmoksk posted: »

He is properly paranoid.

• I still don't know, I can't say for sure. The main reason I still disagree is because Jefferson was shown with Rachel already in the Junk Yard saying he's burying her there.

Watch the scene again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDo5afsifow Max uncovers something at 2:18, which Chloe does not recognise (or

• Nah, i just always play whole episode at once.

And episode was waaay to long. I got a hedache beacuse of it. Take a break? But I'm guessing you couldn't, because you were so excited.

• edited July 2015

He could easily have just put her in a bin bag or something after taking the photo where she's on top of Nathan, if that's what you mean?

Also the material we see at 2:16 or so is clearly shiny, looks like plastic

I still don't know, I can't say for sure. The main reason I still disagree is because Jefferson was shown with Rachel already in the Junk Yard saying he's burying her there.

• Listen, I don't know, I still think it's just her shirt and then Max rubs away the dirt to reveal the rest of her dead body.

He could easily have just put her in a bin bag or something after taking the photo where she's on top of Nathan, if that's what you mean? Also the material we see at 2:16 or so is clearly shiny, looks like plastic

• Yes! It's a great game that is nearly finished and sticks to its schedule.(cough cough).

• I can understand peoples concerns regarding how dangerous Nathan is, coupled with his name and the power it holds in the town. But, I want more than anything for Nathan to know.

I want him to remember every time he looks in the mirror to absolutely know that his punk ass got twisted by a scrawny "phag" as he so elegantly put it. I do understand the potential consequence, but Nathan doesn't get to get away with shit like pulling a gun on someone twice anymore. Severity my ass, watching him softly moan "I'm sorry" to himself as he cries was so gratifying.

I was cheering Warren on and laughing my ass off. Warren needed that and Nathan needed his ass kicked, put him in his place for once. I wanted the option to kiss Warren or something after that, he deserved it.

• Honestly, while I can see why the game has appeal, it doesn't work for me. The music is beautiful and I do like having freedom to explore and all, the dialogue is often awful as it feels like the script is based off tumblr posts. And I can only really take so much of internet memes and jokes being referenced before it gets stale. (I criticize the same in Tales at times.) Not helped when it's delivered by hit or miss voice acting either. (Examining Kate's room getting an idea of her mental state was ruined by Max nonchalantly saying "it is way too emo in here". Just really hurts the mood, in my opinion.)

I wanted to like the game, but it just ain't happening. Although, I do agree I think TT can learn a few things from DONTNOD. (Getting to explore more, more changes to dialogue, etc.)

• It looks like you could be right. I just popped TWD S2 episode 4 and 5 on. Didn't see a lead writer mentioned at the start of episode 5, nor one mentioned at the beginning and end of episode 4. But I swear I saw it somewhere that Nick was the lead writer. Maybe in an interview or something? At least I'm sure my memory isn't failing me anyway, as I remember Metallicarules kept mentioning Nick as the lead. (I don't know if Metallica is around anymore) I have absolutely no idea if there are leads for other projects.

But yeah, it's possible I could be wrong. I just don't know where I got that from if I am.

I'd agree with what Deltino said below as well, generally speaking, when it comes to multiple writers on a project.

I haven't seen evidence of that in the credits? Normally the credits give one or two people named as the 'writers' of the episode. They're the first names that come up, or so, I think.

• I haven't checked out Ep4 yet but Life is Strange just hasn't cut it out for me. Episode 2 was great but Episode 1 and 3 put me to sleep, Ep3 so much that I deleted it off my console and decided to just watch playthroughs for the last two and not waste anymore money.

I also don't see the need to keep comparing Life is Strange to Telltale's games. We get it, a majority of people feel like they do the interactive thing better, but not everyone feels that way. It's rather annoying, just keep it to the Life is Strange thread

• This topic is kinda random for this section, but I'll say it anyway. Y'all won't like this, but Life is Strange has honestly put Telltale to shame.

Over 3 hours per episode (ep. 4 took me 4 hours and 30 minutes, without rewinding every dialogue to explore every single branch), choices with much greater impact than two lines of dialogue, multiple ways to solve puzzles and actually being encouraged to explore everything and pay attention to details (episode 2).

The writing gets a lot of crap for being cringe-worthy... Not gonna lie, the first two episodes are filled with dumb dialogue, but it seems that the devs improved it a lot based on the feedback. The first two episodes take a "slice of life" approach, but it quickly adopts a darker, mysterious tone (seriously, they outdid themselves with episode 4).

However, I wouldn't recommed this game to anyone. If you're cynical and quick to make fun of anything, yeah, you might want to stay away. This truly is a game about enjoying the atmosphere, dealing with all sorts of emotions and just "feeling" in general.

• edited July 2015

I think it's basically a case of Life is Strange handling the 'illusion' better. What you mentioned about the setting and such is something that I feel is spot on. It's a tiny thing, but I remember how, in The Wolf Among Us episode 1, you'd have certain things at the bar then visit the location in another episode and see traces of what you previously did. Again, it's a very small thing, but sharing locations allowed that to happen. Like, if you rubbed the chalk off the black board, you'd see it smudged.

I just deleted much of the post I'd typed up too for various reasons. But one thing I do want to state, which I would have said in what I deleted, is that the problem of determinant characters is something I'd like to fix in the interactive story I'm working on. It is a problem really if people don't think about the choice much, because having people agonise over the choices is what you want in interactive stories.

Deltino posted: »

So, while I think it probably handles branching better, I'm just not seeing it as being much better than TTG's stuff which is what people ar

• But none have used it as recently

Doubt it. Plenty of zombies movies have pitchforks and stuff.

• edited July 2015

Spoiler tag that shit bro. Some people might have not have played it yet.

So, did I get that right, the Prescott's wealth stems from selling this dark room material? And Blackwell/the principal is something like th

• edited July 2015

Theoretical choice next episode:

1) You go back in time to the night of the party, stop Jefferson and save Chloe.

2) You go back in time to before Rachel went missing, and stop that happening. You, Rachel and Chloe become a group of three friends, but you quit Blackwell academy due to making friends with Rachel and Chloe instead of anyone at Blackwell. The three of you plan a road trip together.

3) You go back in time to before Jefferson drugged ANY girls and prevent him from taking any of those pictures in the first place. You remain at Blackwell, but you never meet chloe again, as she and Rachel decide to go on a road trip before you start at Blackwell.

Which would you choose, and why?

• Well the fact that two of those three options are impossible for Max to do, I choose 1.

• edited July 2015

It's possible that Jefferson isn't actually insane. He might have been forced to play along or have his life ruined by rich "assholes" of Acardia Bay.

He might also be a criminal that justified it by needing money or something, even though he is famous that doesn't instantly make him rich.

Or he might be insane which would from storytelling standpoint be too obvious. Still for an insane person he decided not to kill his victims which makes Rachel's death sound like cover up.

• edited July 2015

"Theoretical choice"

No need to be a killjoy. Who knows, we might develop the ability to reverse large amounts of time in the final episode.

Well the fact that two of those three options are impossible for Max to do, I choose 1.

• Oh come on Flog, you take all the fun out of being a killjoy. Kind of ironic if you think about it.

"Theoretical choice" No need to be a killjoy. Who knows, we might develop the ability to reverse large amounts of time in the final episode.

• Honestly 1) why? Because number 2 would just be messed up since so many good things wouldn't have happened and number three would be SOO far back it would create a time ripple that would basically change everything (like flashpoint).

• So many good things wouldn't have happened like what? Rachel wouldnt be murdered, Chloe wouldnt have to lose her best friend for the second time, Kate would never be drugged and bullied etc

It would probably be a few years ago, but sooner than going back to save Chloe's dad

Lord_EAA posted: »

Honestly 1) why? Because number 2 would just be messed up since so many good things wouldn't have happened and number three would be SOO far back it would create a time ripple that would basically change everything (like flashpoint).

• Too bad Max lost her powers. But if she got back her powers, then I would choose 1).

Sign in to comment in this discussion.