Bug: Stuck in prison after talking to the voodo lady [post #8 has a working savegame]

edited November 2010 in Game Support
I'm automaticly placed in jail, after talking with the voodoo lady, without any means of getting out.

I cannot avoid talking to the voodoo lady, since it's a part of the plot. This must be a bug ...

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2009
    Wait, you are actually behind bars? Like with LeChuck or something?
  • edited October 2009
    Yes. As soon as the Voodo lady draws Guybrushs attention, I see Guybrush being put into "teleported" into jail with LeChuck. However, during the dialogue (with either the voodoo lady or Lechuck) I'm outside, but as soon as I stop talking, I'm inside the jail.
    edited October 2009
    Uhm, uhh, ok... I'll see if we can round up a working save for you, but in the mean time, could you attach your save file to this thread? That will help us track down what the hell is actually happening there. Thanks!
  • edited October 2009
    Same thing happens to me whenever I try to move around I end up in cell with LeChuck.
  • edited October 2009
    Stupid question: Where in Vista are the save games stored?
    edited October 2009
    \My Documents\Telltale Games\The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
  • TesterNickTesterNick Former Telltale Staff
    edited October 2009
    here's a save file for you to try from right after you are released. just place it in C:\Documents and Settings\Nick Mastroianni\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2009
    (Replace "Nick Mastroianni" and everything before it with wherever your "My Documents" directory is, of course.)
  • edited October 2009
    Thank you for the file.
    Here's the save game folder, I've only used the autosave so far ;)
    edited October 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    (Replace "Nick Mastroianni" and everything before it with wherever your "My Documents" directory is, of course.)

SrRy i R DuMB?
  • edited October 2009
    Haha, not to worry (though, it's quite near 12 am here ;) )

Edit: Sweet the save game works. Thank you for the excellent help!
    Good luck with the debugging, I know how painfull that process can be .. :|
  • edited October 2009
    Not sure if this helps but I got to an earlier save got to the part where the bug is and fortunately everything seems to be working now. The only thing I did differently in my game was that the first time I was in a cell when I asked the bailiff to go back to courtroom in order to continue trial. The second time I first asked for a meeting with my lawyer to get out of cell and then talked to bailiff while on the outside. When I got to the bugged part I can now move around and don't end up in a cell with LeChuck.
  • edited October 2009
    I've got the same problem but for some reason when I download the save game which has it fixed, winrar tells me the archive is corrupted.
  • edited October 2009
    I downloaded the game right when it came out, but I am waiting for the kids to go to bed to play (our eldest will just yap and ask questions). I am treading carefully in these posts trying not to ruin anything. Please use spoiler tags. :)

Question: If I re-download & install, is there a new/fixed "version" out since it was first released?
    edited October 2009
    Nothing new out yet.
  • edited October 2009
    Any plans to patch/update it tonight? And if so, will there be an announcement?

Is this an unavoidable bug, or something needs to be done in the wrong (right?) order in order for it to happen? And please be as vague as possible! Seriously.
    edited October 2009
    Amigo wrote: »
    I've got the same problem but for some reason when I download the save game which has it fixed, winrar tells me the archive is corrupted.

Here's a .rar but it wouldnt let me post it as a .rar so i renamed it to .zip. just change the extension to .rar and rar away
  • edited October 2009
    TesterNick wrote: »
    Here's a .rar , sorry about that

I'm guessing there was meant to be an attachment to that post?
    edited October 2009
    This is a very avoidable bug actually. The short of it: only enter the courthouse from the front door, don't go directly from the jail cell. I'm pretty sure we WON'T have a new build tonight. Unfortunately these things take a little time to turn around.
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2009
    Now we just need someone out there to make a Johnny Cash cover and post it on youtube.

"I'm stuck in Flotsam Prison, and time keeps draggin' on.
    But that ship it keeps a-floatin', on down to Spinner Cay"
  • edited October 2009
    Okay. I understand it takes time to fix things, and I appreciate the advice on avoiding it.
  • edited October 2009
    Got it extracted and put it in my C:\Users\Ben\Documents\Telltale Games\The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood folder but its not showing up in game. Must be doing something wrong as it worked earlier for someone else but not sure what.
  • edited October 2009
    Since nobody else has chimed in yet, I'll try to offer some help. I don't have my game installed on my Vista computer, so I have to assume you are in the correct folder as it is different on XP.

To be sure, do you also have other files in that folder? For example, there should also be a "prefs.prop" file in there as well. If not, then you are in the wrong folder. If that's the case, try searching for that file in Vista, and locate that file in chapter 4's folder then put the saved game in there.

If you are in the right folder, you could also try removing all other save files (move them or change the extension) then restart the game.

If you have already figured out the problem, you may also want to post what was wrong in case someone else has problems too. :)
  • edited October 2009
    I got this bug too. And while we're on the subject of bugs, I also notice that after you
    prove Guybrush innocent
    when you speak to W.P. behind the bar Guybrush reacts like he hasn't seen him before. You also get the 'what are you doing on Flotsam Island' line returning for the Baliff.
  • edited October 2009
    KevinD872 wrote: »
    Since nobody else has chimed in yet, I'll try to offer some help. I don't have my game installed on my Vista computer, so I have to assume you are in the correct folder as it is different on XP.

To be sure, do you also have other files in that folder? For example, there should also be a "prefs.prop" file in there as well. If not, then you are in the wrong folder. If that's the case, try searching for that file in Vista, and locate that file in chapter 4's folder then put the saved game in there.

If you are in the right folder, you could also try removing all other save files (move them or change the extension) then restart the game.

If you have already figured out the problem, you may also want to post what was wrong in case someone else has problems too. :)

Thanks for your suggestions however I'm still struggling. It is the right folder as my old save game was in there. I moved that out and put the new one in and still nothing shows up. Its windows 7 though im using which is why the folder names are slightly different. Gonna sleep on it and see whats changed in the morning.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for your suggestions however I'm still struggling. It is the right folder as my old save game was in there. I moved that out and put the new one in and still nothing shows up. Its windows 7 though im using which is why the folder names are slightly different. Gonna sleep on it and see whats changed in the morning.

You could try removing (move) the prefs file, but I don't know if it will rebuild it or not. If not, just put it back.

Only other thought would be to uninstall chapter 4 and make sure that folder is empty, then re-install the game and put the saved game in the folder and try again. If the uninstall asks if you want to remove any saved games or preferences, say yes (just make sure you save a copy of the saved game elsewhere).

Unless for some reason the saved game is corrupt. I downloaded the RAR just to look at it and I got an 'unexpected end of file' error although it seemed to be intact.
    edited October 2009
    The save file should show up, but it should say Unknown Location or something similar rather than an actual location. You could also try copying all of your other saves out of that folder just to see what happens.
  • edited October 2009
    I had this bug, I got it from clicking on the loose jailcell bars, are there any other causes so when I continue in the morning I don't accidentally do it again?
  • edited October 2009
    I've replaced the savegame but I'm still having the same problem....
  • edited October 2009
    Will wrote: »
    This is a very avoidable bug actually. The short of it: only enter the courthouse from the front door, don't go directly from the jail cell.

So I guess my input helped ;)
  • bai_ganyobai_ganyo Banned
    edited October 2009
    only enter the courthouse from the front door, don't go directly from the jail cell.
    I guess this means, you'd have to flee the jail everytime you go to the cell?
    I got this bug as well. As soon, as I try walking to the left or right, I'm stuck with LeChuck. I had a save file from the club, while the two ladies were fighting, still the moment G. is set free, I cannot walk around the island but am stuck not only in the cell, but in LeChuck as well.
  • edited October 2009
    The save file should show up, but it should say Unknown Location or something similar rather than an actual location. You could also try copying all of your other saves out of that folder just to see what happens.

yeh. it's sayin 'unknown location' & 'unknown date', but if i load the savegame all i get is a black screen everytime .. (without any loadin sign etc ..)
  • edited October 2009
    Had the same "Loop of LeChuck" bug as it's described in the Tales of Monkey Island Ch. 4 out now! blog comment box. :D Already uninstalled and then reinstalled the game though... I hope the downloaded save game with no bug works nevertheless. Testing it in a moment...
  • edited October 2009
    Winzip tells me this file (save game file posted on page 1) is corrupted. I've downloaded it sevewral times with the same result.
  • edited October 2009
    Nexguy wrote: »
    Winzip tells me this file (save game file posted on page 1) is corrupted. I've downloaded it sevewral times with the same result.

Still have this exact same problem. Both of the archives posted by TesterNick seem to be corrupted according to my computer.
  • edited October 2009
    Downloaded the archive on a different computer and it was no longer corrupted. Strange. Works on vista 32bit not not windows 7 64bit.

Anyway i've uploaded it again compressed myself so if anyone finds the first archive corrupted try this one.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the save file guys, just encountered this game-ending glitch myself.
  • edited October 2009
    Downloaded the archive on a different computer and it was no longer corrupted. Strange. Works on vista 32bit not not windows 7 64bit.

Anyway i've uploaded it again compressed myself so if anyone finds the first archive corrupted try this one.

So that's it. I'm running 64bit on Vista. C'mont TellTale! Help us out here!:confused:
  • edited October 2009
    Nexguy wrote: »
    So that's it. I'm running 64bit on Vista. C'mont TellTale! Help us out here!:confused:

I'm running Vista 64-bit.
    Downloading the Save from post #8 worked fine for me, might be some other problem?
    Do you have problems with Unzipping the file? If so, try another Unzipping client, WinRAR or WinZIP?
    And be sure you unpack it in to its correct place!

Quoting from "the Telltale Blog, Tales of Monkey Island Ch. 4 Out Now!"

"I uninstalled then reinstalled the application AND started a whole new game. I cleared Guybrush of all accusations in no time and am now safely beyond ye olde "Loop of LeChuck" (TM). My previous save states were of no use since they still contained the bug despite having reinstalled the TOMI chapter."

I REFRAIN from looking at the Blog if you haven't completed the whole Chapter, there are spoilers!
  • edited October 2009
    I too had this problem & was gutted when I thought I was stuck in the cell...!
    Found this forum on my first search & the save game worked for me! (Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit)

Sooo happy for your quick replies so I can carry on playing, great series. Hope you'll start work on the next 5, 10, 50 installment's of Monkey Island!
This discussion has been closed.