Life Is Strange - True Colors Out Now, Bonus Episode "Wavelengths" September 30th

Comments

• It's an OK game, but I don't think it should be nominated for a GOTY and yeah I loved episode 5. :)

Clemenem posted: »

Or he's just not into it... Not everyone who dislikes the game just dislikes it for episode 5. Don't be so presumptuous

• It's will be like Episode 4 and even more, I think.

GSSalvador posted: »

This don't mean that the Episode is Going to be 5hrs long. Playtesters are playing the game very very Slow. Because they Test everything. Th

• I couldn't stop laughing when I saw Chloe's face or rather I couldn't see her face. :D

I hope he do more of crossover stuff.

• Will be in episode 5 probably

Apparently unused OST enter link description here

• edited September 2015

Max: oh god,a tornado!!

chloe pops in

chloe: lol max im hella alive

Puncake32 posted: »

enter link description here

• edited September 2015

This is confirming that it is a ending(since we have multiple endings).

Miklaus posted: »

Actually Dontnod also confirmed that Max's love interest is determinant.

• It is in episode 5. -.-

Apparently unused OST enter link description here

• so ending with Chloe(pricefield) confirmed.So Warren x Max won't happen

You weren't right, then.

Funny how some Pricefield shippers hate Warren when the selfie he takes before the party might save Chloe's ass.

This is confirming that it is a ending(since we have multiple endings).

• Yay Bioshock crossover :D

• Chloe teleported.

Illuminati confirmed xD

Puncake32 posted: »

enter link description here

• k

It is in episode 5. -.-

• Amazing interview with Hannah Telle (Max) !

You NEED to READ this!

Editor’s note: this interview contains major spoilers from the first four episodes of Life Is Strange.

When Remember Me developer Dontnod Entertainment released Life Is Strange Episode 1: Chrysalis earlier this year, there were high expectations for the title, an eagerness to see a refreshing take on the episodic story-driven format, a desire to have real meaning behind the choices made and to witness the start of protagonist Maxine Caulfield’s coming-of-age story. As the final few minutes of Episode 1: Chrysalis came to an emotional close, it was evident that this would be a series that would continue to powerfully resonate for the player with each episode’s release, as it was easy to become immersed with the characters, universe and mysteries that were being presented in the narrative.

While the quality of the writing and dialogue have polarized critics — although the title has vastly improved in these aspects with each episode’s release — the voice acting is a factor that has remained consistent and brilliant throughout every episode, especially when it comes to the on-screen chemistry shared between the voice actresses for Max and Chloe Price: Hannah Telle and Ashly Burch, respectively.

We had the privilege to sit down with Hannah Telle for an exclusive interview, in which she shared her experiences of working with Dontnod on Life Is Strange, her own views on Max’s personality and representation, the themes depicted in the series thus far as well as the direct influence her personal life and roles in other mediums (theater, films, etc.) have had on her performance as Max.

[Hardcore Gamer] Let’s jump straight into this: how did you become involved with Life Is Strange? Was there anything that vividly stood out from the audition?

Hannah: I did performance capture for the twin sisters Iris and Rose Campbell in Murdered: Soul Suspect. The company who cast me for that game called me to audition for the role of Max Caulfield last July.

I remember the audition like it was yesterday. I was in the middle of an emotional breakdown and really struggled to make it into the Blindlight office to read for Max. I hadn’t eaten and my stomach was growling like crazy while we recorded. I did my best, but I was in such poor spirits that I was convinced I had done a terrible job and ruined the audition. I was crying like crazy on the drive home! When they emailed me with an offer for the role, I was stunned and overjoyed. Having the ongoing job of Max’s voice became an amazing life raft for me to cling to while I was navigating the tricky waters of depression and the loss of loved ones earlier this year.

G: We’re curious to hear if there are any warm-up routines that you would normally do before voicing the role of Max?

Hannah: Yes! I always pray that God will help me to do my best and not hold back while we record. Then, on the drive to the recording studio, I blast the radio in my car and sing along really loudly! That really helps get me in the mood to speak up and be heard, which is hard for me sometimes.

G: Following on from the previous question, did any of your roles in television, theater or film have a direct influence towards Max?

Hannah: Yes! I have always loved drama, but somewhere during the course of my career I started feeling like I was only succeeding at playing sweet and cute roles. However, there is a lot more to my personality than that and I longed to express the other side. Right before I played Max, I got a role as a very strong girl in a short film called “Flesh and Blood” by Merlin Camozzi. She was struggling to survive the apocalypse and determined to care for her father and younger sister. Her name was also Max, oddly enough! That role was full of so many emotions: fear, sadness, burden and pain. It was the most cathartic feeling to express those facets of myself. I feel like that role really prepared me to believe in my dramatic capacity and allow myself to be more than a happy-go-lucky façade, which, in turn, paved the way for me to play Max.

G: Max’s representation has caught the eye of many people for being one of the strongest female leads in a title. With the gaming industry in an ever-changing state and continuing to embrace more and more female heroines, do you think Max will be held up as one of the most memorable protagonists of her time?

Hannah: I think Max is unique because she represents girls out there who feel plagued by insecurities and are suffering from the turmoil of trying not to silence your own voice. Max’s struggle to believe in herself and her art is at the heart of the game for me. Watching her grow from being achingly shy into a tenacious and confident young woman who stands up for what she believes in has helped me to do the same in my life. I know that there are lots of other girls out there like me who share Max’s pain and are feeling themselves growing with Max past that fear and into a new place of hope, bravery and self-assurance. It’s been a truly extraordinary experience.

G: What has it been like collaborating with Ashly Burch on Life Is Strange? She’s continuing to become an established voice actress in the gaming industry, so what was the experience like working with her?

Hannah: The very first time I recorded for the game was with Ashly. I came into the studio and got to watch her do a dual recording session with Don McManus, the voice of David Madsen. She was wildly inspiring. I was (and still am) in awe of her confidence and ease with vocal projection. When we started our first recording session together, it was quickly clear to me that this was going to be an astounding experience as an actor. It didn’t feel like we were acting. I felt instantly connected to her and believed that she really was this person. I felt so much of Max’s inwardness and uncertainty and Ashly was boiling over with this explosive, anger-driven attitude. We seamlessly fell into this synchronicity. She so fully embodies the spirit of Chloe that she feels like the real Chloe to me. I know what Chloe looks like in the game, but when I think of the character, I can only see Ashly in my mind.

G: Has it been intense working with Dontnod Entertainment to meet the ‘tight deadlines‘ between each episode? At what point do they normally bring you into the studio to record dialogue?

Hannah: It has been intense at times, but also filled with fun and laughter. The ups and downs are all part of the journey of creating something, so I try to embrace everything. We record here in LA with the insanely incredible VO director Philip Bache, along with a sound technician (which is usually the endlessly sweet Mark de la Fuente) and a coordinator who keeps us on track time-wise. Dontnod Entertainment is brought in via Skype from France to participate in the recording sessions. Until we finally met for dinner while they were in LA for E3, I had only ever heard their voices! They have the coolest French accents! Sometimes there is a lot of pressure to get things right as fast as possible, but I feel that we all make a great team and always get what we need for each episode.

G: Okay, we’ve really wanted to ask this for a while: having seen some of your music renditions on your YouTube channel, we’re curious as to whether or not Dontnod pitched the idea of doing some singing for Max? Or better yet, if you asked if you could do some singing during the segments where Max plays her guitar?

Hannah: This is such a cool question! Thank you. They haven’t pitched any ideas about me singing in the game, but that would be a dream come true. Singing and writing music are my favorite things in the world and I keep them very close to my heart. Music has carried me through a lot of darkness and to have you bring it up here means the world to me.

G: Dontnod hasn’t been shy in addressing hot-topic issues like depression, social media, bullying and drugs in Life Is Strange. What’s your take on how these themes have been portrayed? Do you think video games often overlook or poorly present real-life issues in a respectful manner?

Hannah: I think Dontnod is doing an outstanding job. The more awareness of these issues that are raised, the less alone the victims feel. Sometimes shifting your perspective from isolation can make all the difference. Not only does the game present real problems, but it also uses Max to maneuver the player through making decisions themselves on how they feel towards these topics. Then, the player gets to experience the actual repercussions of their opinions and actions. I really believe this game has the power to make a difference. Maybe it sounds naive, but if someone can physically see the outcomes of their choices negatively affecting the world of the game, then there is a chance that they will adjust their attitudes and decisions in real life to create a better, more positive result.

G: Life Is Strange Episode 2: Out of Time has several difficult decisions to make, but there’s one that really resonated for people — resulting in some rather intriguing debates as well — so we have to ask for your opinion on which one you’d pick: bacon omelette or Belgian waffle?

Hannah: Such a tough call! I would go with the Belgian waffle and some strawberries on the side.

G: While there’s an excruciating wait for the release of Episode 5: Polarized, we’re really interested to hear what your favorite episode in Life Is Strange has been so far? Do any scenes really stand out from the voice-over recording sessions that you did?

Hannah: The most monumental experience in my entire acting career has been the scene on the roof where Max tries to convince Kate Marsh not to commit suicide. I’m going to speak candidly here because I feel like there are girls out there who need to hear this. When I was 17, I took too many prescription pills and got terribly drugged. I got myself into a situation where I didn’t know what I was doing and when I woke up I discovered I had lost my virginity to someone that meant nothing to me. I had barely even kissed a boy before that night. Everyone at my high school heard about it. It was a complete nightmare. It felt like my peers considered me a drug-addicted slut and I wanted to die.

Depression was a serious problem for me since puberty and I have had moments in my life where I was very ready to do whatever it took to not feel pain and sadness anymore. Being able to play Max and experience what it felt like to fight against someone to save his or her own life was intensely surreal and almost metaphysical for me. It’s something I can’t fully put into words, but it definitely changed my life. I want people to know that there is a plan for their lives. Sometimes we lose sight of it in the storm, but it’s always there. I feel like if my life can make such a drastic turnaround, then anything is possible. I hope people remember that.

G: What can we expect to see from Max’s story in Episode 5: Polarized? If you could describe it in one word, what would you pick and why?

Hannah: Transformation. This is the episode where Max truly come into her own. She’s operating from a place of strength, power and self-trust.

G: Have you been surprised at the commercial success of Life Is Strange? Considering that it’s a digital-only title and it surpassed one million sales earlier this year, the rise of its fandom, cosplay and stunning artwork has been overwhelming. Were you expecting anything along the lines of this?

Hannah: This has definitely exceeded all of my expectations. The online community for Life Is Strange is phenomenal. It has truly been the greatest honour to be a part of this game. Every day, I have at least one moment where the success of the game blindsides me and I have to remind myself that this is real!

G: Outside of all of the Life Is Strange-themed questions that we’ve asked, are there any tips or advice that you could share for any up-and-coming voice actors/actresses trying to break into the industry?

Hannah: Yes! Persistence is everything in the acting business. Sometimes it takes a long time for your ship to come in and many people quit during that wait. The ones who stick around, stay positive and operate from a place of gratitude are the ones who reap the rewards. I wish I would have maintained a more upbeat and thankful attitude during the more difficult times of my career, but I’m definitely trying my best to do that now and I would encourage other actors to do the same.

enter image description here

• edited September 2015

Why we would kill ourself when Jeffreson can chase us when we try to find Warren,when we have in our bag ep1 photo,and chloe photo from ep3 that we can focus on.Think.

Miklaus posted: »

so ending with Chloe(pricefield) confirmed.So Warren x Max won't happen You weren't right, then. Funny how some Pricefield shippers hate Warren when the selfie he takes before the party might save Chloe's ass.

• I am certainly happy that Hannah managed to get the role of Max! :D

Karnedg2013 posted: »

Amazing interview with Hannah Telle (Max) ! You NEED to READ this! Editor’s note: this interview contains major spoilers from the firs

• edited September 2015

Did you know...?

Chloe can be seen for the first time before a key scene in the bathroom.

enter image description here

• She was in a bathroom not a toilet :P

Karnedg2013 posted: »

Did you know...? Chloe can be seen for the first time before a key scene in the bathroom.

• Pretty much an easy choice for me between the two. Life is Strange.

Until Dawn was interesting with illustrating the butterfly gameplay mechanic and is one of the most graphically beautiful games I've ever seen, but the short length, unbalanced character levels, inferior second half of the plot, and obnoxious plot armours for certain characters (until right at the end of the game, that is) that goes against the 'anyone can die' theme, all holds it back from releasing its full potential.

Life is Strange started off slow, but once it starts going it doesn't stop and keeps adding more . The rewind mechanic saves you from being pressured into making choices on a time limit and allows you to change your mind on the spot, and the choices themselves tend to carry over and are consistent in making an effect on the story, ranging from subtle to dramatic. The soundtrack really adds to the atmosphere and are rich in quality.

The only downsides are the awkward and obnoxious dialogue and voice acting at times, initially unlikeable characters that takes time to get used to, and the slow and poor introduction of the series.

I don't know what to vote Game of the Year! Life is Strange or Until Dawn? Ugh! So conflicted!

• edited September 2015

Lmfao Elizabeth's face doe.

• enter image description here

Anyone else think those lampshades look like the Cookie Monster's eyes? I only just noticed that.

• Sorry!

Little mistake! Thanks for the help :D

Clemenem posted: »

She was in a bathroom not a toilet :P

• I wonder if the tornado signifies anything? Like is it the timeline collapsing upon itself maybe?

• Oh thank you! I was looking forward to something like that.

I'm gonna start reading it right now! :D (Poor hot dog man though :()

So, um... there's something you oughta know. There actually is a fanfic being written that's about (almost) all the characters you've mentio

• It's an OK game, but I don't think it should be nominated for a GOTY

Pretty much sums up my feelings toward Life is Strange being on this list.

It's an OK game, but I don't think it should be nominated for a GOTY and yeah I loved episode 5.

• edited September 2015

Ep4 (intense),ep5 (very intense.)The last voice acting recording is close around these days then 2-3 weeks ep5 released :(.

• You make a good point about Until Dawn. They don't have a lot of possibilities to die. I thought the plot's second half was okay, but too many horror cliches were used. I.e. (SPOILERS), the way the group reacts to Emily's bite was stupid, even though they didn't know how the bites worked yet. The only reason a player would shoot her is if they were clueless or hated her (END SPOILERS). I thought that the cast was uniquely personalized, but the characters weren't given enough time to develop fully. Some of the development given seemed rushed, and that did cause me to dislike most of the cast. The only characters that I actually liked were Emily, Sam, and Chris. I also disliked how the writers made Emily an example of a bitchy archetype until roughly 80% into the game. But by then, some people hated her too much to react to her potential. I do agree that the game looks beautiful and the butterfly effect concept was amazing. I also loved the acting from the cast.

I agree with all you said from Life is Strange. I haven't voted GoTY yet, but typing this comment might've perhaps made up my mind.

RichWalk23 posted: »

Pretty much an easy choice for me between the two. Life is Strange. Until Dawn was interesting with illustrating the butterfly gameplay m

• Having played the game about four times and done a bit of research, I think I found the number of ways each character can die

Sam= 1
    Mike=3
    Emily=4
    Matt=3
    Jessica=2
    Ashley=2
    Chris=3
    Josh=1

I agree with you about Emily.Where as I liked the other cast of characters and felt they became more than archetypes by the end of the game, that wasn't the case for Emily, she was still the bitchy archetype.I'm glad I left her to die in my first playthrough. I was actually fine with the second half of the game, at least there was some hints/build up to the wendigo in the first half.

You make a good point about Until Dawn. They don't have a lot of possibilities to die. I thought the plot's second half was okay, but too ma

• edited September 2015

Amazing!

So sweet!

Thank YOU!

Ep4 (intense),ep5 (very intense.)The last voice acting recording is close around these days then 2-3 weeks ep5 released .

• Just got done episode 4. Yeesh that ending (preview) is the stuff of nighmares. Lol this game just loves checking off all the boxes of all the horrible things that can happen to people. Gonna be sick to my stomach for a long time.

• I hope you weren't spoiled before playing ep 4, I might be a little busy this month so I probably won't enjoy ep5 asap, and I'm already afraid of spoilers xD, I'll have to shut everything down.

• Nah no spoils, I avoided this section for a bit and pretty much everything related to this game after ep. 2. It went on sale recently, so I picked it up. I am definitely more interested in this game than I've ever been.

renard999 posted: »

I hope you weren't spoiled before playing ep 4, I might be a little busy this month so I probably won't enjoy ep5 asap, and I'm already afraid of spoilers xD, I'll have to shut everything down.

• That was a good ending I'll admit. Episode 4 is to me the strongest to date.

DoubleJump posted: »

Nah no spoils, I avoided this section for a bit and pretty much everything related to this game after ep. 2. It went on sale recently, so I picked it up. I am definitely more interested in this game than I've ever been.

• Man hearing it straight from Hannah Telle (Max's Va) is astounding how much the game has affected her just as much as me.

Ep4 (intense),ep5 (very intense.)The last voice acting recording is close around these days then 2-3 weeks ep5 released .

• They're both seniors in high school though.

Oh pls stop with these Max x Warren,Warren is 16 and Max is 18 wtf.

• Just throwing this out there but, I cant be the only one who wants Max's time travel thing explained.

I really hope it isnt just, hur dur, you had time travel now its gone ok byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye

• Pretty sure they (dontnod) said before the game was released that it isn't about how she got the powers and that they wouldn't explain it. (Don't quote me on that this could just be all in my head.)

Poogers555 posted: »

Just throwing this out there but, I cant be the only one who wants Max's time travel thing explained. I really hope it isnt just, hur dur, you had time travel now its gone ok byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye

Sign in to comment in this discussion.