Life Is Strange - True Colors Out Now, Bonus Episode "Wavelengths" September 30th

Comments

• edited December 2015

enter image description here

Wolfenus54 posted: »

Life Is Strange is a riveting twist on the adventure genre that just about beats the contemporary masters of the style, Telltale, at their own game. I don't want to look like I hate LiS but that's a complete lie.

• enter image description here

Vice has listed Life Is Strange as their #4 best game of 2015. For its second game, Parisian studio Dontnod took a step back from

• Now this... this is a true work of art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQGreZ-ZLj4

• I will say... to the game's credit. I did find the emotional scene between Chloe and Sam before the final ridiculous choice to be quite touching and extremely well done. But the choice to sacrifice an entire town in order to save someone who is begging you to do what's right and stop selfishly dooming others for the benefit of one person to be ludicrously easy.

And I can't stress this enough, but why was there some awful indie hipster minimalist soft-tempo crap playing everytime the game had the slightest incline of a emotionally gauging scene? It took me so fucking far out of the moment.

Overall score of LiS: 4/10

• Has everyone lost their minds on this thread? How is LIS a bad game? Jesus christ LIS is better than anything telltale have done since TWD S1. Everyone has completly gone crazy and has just started criticing this game for no reason. I can understand the complaints that one of the endings is a bit under-developed but people complaining that choices don't matter? Oh yes cause they matter SO MUCH in telltale games. In the TWD S2 only your last choices have an impact on the ending, same for season 1 of TWD. People should be happy that it's not just telltale doing story games because this will bring this genre to the next level and will cause telltale to pick up their game and actually DO SOMETHIG NEW instead of using the same old formula in every single game they do.

• edited December 2015

In some cases, I'd say it's fanboyism.

Tomi021 posted: »

Has everyone lost their minds on this thread? How is LIS a bad game? Jesus christ LIS is better than anything telltale have done since TWD S

• The good reason I'm referring to is the fact that reversing past decisions would make others irrelevant, and that's the entire basis of the game.

They wanted an ending where you go back to the first time you use your rewind power, and you don't. This undoes all your actions. That's the point of the chocie. That's a far better reason than the laziness we see in some of Telltale's games where the majority of ';they will remember that' simply never have an effect on anything and are there for flavour.

At least Life is Strange has a very very good reason for making some of our choices irrelevant to the ending. No it doesn't.

• But it's not lack of effect of choice in the same way it is for telltale. For telltale, they have the choices the player made but choose to not make any effects of them to a large extent - they ignore any difference, or m\ke two choices result in exactly the same in the situation they are supposed to be relevant to.

In Life is Strange, the entire point is that we reverse everything that's happened - choices being undone aren#t an awkward fact that#s brushed over, it's the entire point of the burning photograph montage. In a game where we can undo every choice, and in which the entire narrative is framed around doing so, it's less of a crime for choices to be undone after they've had an effect than for them to simply be ignored.

Long and short - Life is Strange still does have effect of choices before the ending, and this is just as much as telltale has in most of their franchises. People complain because the ending undoes them - but at least it undoes them purposefully rather than simply ignoring them in the end ala telltale. In addition all of the choices listed at the end of the life is strange episodes have some effect on the next few - this is different to Telltale because they do not maintain the same writers for each episode of a series so many choices, such as 'did you save bowen' are literally never mentioned again.

I don't really understand people's complaints about the lack of variety in the endings and undoing past choices. You really dont und

• edited December 2015

This is a telltale games forum, and since this is a choice based game, people are very defensive and feel the need, understandably, to critisise when they can to justify them being primarily telltale fans.

It is getting very old but I'm startin g to engage them less and just discuss the game on other forums where people can post something without 3 people saying it's shit compared to telltale :P

If you want good discussion head to the steam/reddit/square enix forums.

(I do at least find solace in the fact that the life is strange game facebook page has as many likes as the TftB and GoT pages combined ;) )

Has everyone lost their minds on this thread? How is LIS a bad game? Jesus christ LIS is better than anything telltale have done since TWD S

• enter image description here

• I would Kinda agree with you, but the fact, that you can choose an ending is the Most laziest writing in LiS. The Ending shouldn't be a Choice. It should Be a consequence. Thats the Problem.

Flog61 posted: »

The good reason I'm referring to is the fact that reversing past decisions would make others irrelevant, and that's the entire basis of the

• edited December 2015

Has everyone lost their minds on this thread? How is LIS a bad game?

I never said it was a bad game. I said it is a good game, just kinda overrated.

Jesus christ LIS is better than anything telltale have done since TWD S1. Everyone has completly gone crazy and has just started criticing this game for no reason.

I would actually agree but comparing LiS with all the TTG, I have to say the TTG have a better story. And I am criticizing LiS for lots of reasons.

I can understand the complaints that one of the endings is a bit under-developed but people complaining that choices don't matter? Oh yes cause they matter SO MUCH in telltale games. In the TWD S2 only your last choices have an impact on the ending, same for season 1 of TWD.

Completely disagree. The choices in Telltale games have much more impact than the choices in LiS. Okay, maybe TWD S2 didn't have a lot of choice impact like LiS did but still, my point stands.

People should be happy that it's not just telltale doing story games because this will bring this genre to the next level and will cause telltale to pick up their game and actually DO SOMETHIG NEW instead of using the same old formula in every single game they do.

Yeah, but not everyone has to compare DONTNOD with Telltale. They are two different companies. No need to do that. And I don't want a new formula. I pretty much like the old formula. That's why me and maybe others play Telltale games. And they are saying that Telltale lost in their own game which is a complete lie. Just because they have more fans, doesn't mean they won. The storytelling in Telltale games is better, the voice acting is amazing and so do the characters. In LiS, everything is just the opposite.

• I think LIS is better than TWDS2. But it's Not just the Choices. It's the Overall writing that take it down. I mean EP. 1 was good. EP. 2 was Kinda Filler. EP. 3+4 were Amazing. EP. 5 was the clusterfuck. Not a Single conversation in that Episode feels like something a real human would say. Nearly everything of Episode 5 was just Bad writing. And of Course the Ending. IT felt like a David Cage Game At times. And not the good one.

• Well that's never the case in any of Telltales games, so not particularly useful in a comparison of the two.

GSSalvador posted: »

I would Kinda agree with you, but the fact, that you can choose an ending is the Most laziest writing in LiS. The Ending shouldn't be a Choice. It should Be a consequence. Thats the Problem.

• About the amount of likes on Facebook...it doesn't Really indecade that it's super Amazing. Look At the CoD page.

This is a telltale games forum, and since this is a choice based game, people are very defensive and feel the need, understandably, to criti

• Is it lazy or has it been the entire premise of the game to that point?

I would Kinda agree with you, but the fact, that you can choose an ending is the Most laziest writing in LiS. The Ending shouldn't be a Choice. It should Be a consequence. Thats the Problem.

• In case of tftbl the Stick to ONE ending wich felt more complete than the LiS Ending.

Well that's never the case in any of Telltales games, so not particularly useful in a comparison of the two.

• If it was the Point of the Game, than DontnoD shouldnt've Chose a Choices and Consequences Genre. Or At least they shouldn't have Used the line "your choices have impact to the past, present and future. Chose wisely..."

Skiba7671 posted: »

Is it lazy or has it been the entire premise of the game to that point?

• There are choices and consequences. The ending is even a meta decision between choice and consequence. I don't know what to tell you..

If it was the Point of the Game, than DontnoD shouldnt've Chose a Choices and Consequences Genre. Or At least they shouldn't have Used the line "your choices have impact to the past, present and future. Chose wisely..."

• LIS is better than anything telltale have done since TWD S1

enter image description here

• edited December 2015

If you don't like the music, it's definitely not the game for you. The music is one of the highest-praised features of the game.

Also, Chloe and Max*

I will say... to the game's credit. I did find the emotional scene between Chloe and Sam before the final ridiculous choice to be quite touc

• They both don't matter. I already mentioned the differences that life is strange reference s decisions constantly but never really has any effect of them. Telltale rarely references choices however there are occasional effects seen from choices.

Both matter barely at all. Nothing compared to heavy rain or until dawn.

Also that whole "it's the point of the game " doesn't excuse choice never mattering. Especially as choice is the main selling point bar the story . This excuse doesn't suddenly mean choices matterd either so I'm not sure what your point is.

But it's not lack of effect of choice in the same way it is for telltale. For telltale, they have the choices the player made but choose to

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited December 2015

Did you ever get around to playing Tales from the Borderlands?

• Chloe and Max*

Oops. Goes to show how forgettable she is as a character I suppose that throughout the entire eight hours I spent, I never remembered her name.

And it's subjective, I know, but I thought the music was trash. Guess the game really wasn't for me.

Lewsblake23 posted: »

If you don't like the music, it's definitely not the game for you. The music is one of the highest-praised features of the game. Also, Chloe and Max*

• Nah, I understand that. Not everyone likes the same music, after all.

Chloe and Max* Oops. Goes to show how forgettable she is as a character I suppose that throughout the entire eight hours I spent, I

• I think i put it wrong. The premise of lis is basically to give you the Choice to undo your Choices or live with the Consequences. I get that. But DontnoD only cares about One Ending. The Ending that erase your Choices is ok. But the Ending were you live with the Consequences is just poorly Done. It Never Shows you the Consequences. IF they had shown the corpses of Many of the characters you met throughout the Game that you just Sacreficed for Chloe. If they had showed you that. Then i would say that the Ending was good. Because they showed you, what you lost. It would have been Pretty Dark, But that would have a significant impact. I Hope i Wrote it now clearly. It was a Huge letdown that your only decision in the Episode was that...

Skiba7671 posted: »

There are choices and consequences. The ending is even a meta decision between choice and consequence. I don't know what to tell you..

• enter link description here

Take a shot everytime something cringe worthy is said throughout Life Is Strange is probably the worst thing for someone's kidneys.

• edited December 2015

The fanboyism is strong with you.

How is LIS a bad game?

I don't think its bad, just mediocre. Dialogue is for the most part bad ( got a little bit better as the season progressed), the characters are meh, the voice acting is for the most part really lackluster, its puzzle sections- save one from ep4- are tedious, its core gameplay mechanic loses its novelty quickly and becomes nothing more than a narrative device than an interesting mechanic, and the finale, despite its moments, was a mess with a messy ending. Just my opinion.

Oh yes cause they matter SO MUCH in telltale games

Honestly they do for me. And its not just in regards to whether my choices branch the narrative, but how they affect my relationship with the characters and how I tailored my protagonist. Telltale Games are more rewarding in player responsibility than LiS imo.

People should be happy that it's not just telltale doing story games because this will bring this genre to the next level

No it won't. There was nothing about LiS- again imo- that innovated the genre. Its popular, but not something that will change the genre. Also, I don't think Telltale considers LiS as competition.

• Goes to show how forgettable she is as a character

She really was a boring character.

Chloe and Max* Oops. Goes to show how forgettable she is as a character I suppose that throughout the entire eight hours I spent, I

• "They're fucking together in heaven now" lol

enter link description here Take a shot everytime something cringe worthy is said throughout Life Is Strange is probably the worst thing for someone's kidneys.

• "STOP SAYING WOWSER!"

"They're fucking together in heaven now" lol

• 10x better imho.

I think LIS is better than TWDS2. But it's Not just the Choices. It's the Overall writing that take it down. I mean EP. 1 was good. EP. 2 wa

• edited December 2015

The choices in Telltale games have much more impact than the choices in LIS

Pffft. Don't Rob Arvo Arvo: I told them you were the ones that robbed me

Maime Gryff: Comes back fresh faced (despite the change it was still fuck up)

Wolfenus54 posted: »

Has everyone lost their minds on this thread? How is LIS a bad game? I never said it was a bad game. I said it is a good game, just

• edited December 2015

Wowser!

"STOP SAYING WOWSER!"

• Drink up.

Clord posted: »

Wowser!

• You just watch interviews, eww. How did it even win anything?

Is her story that good? Imo it is.

• I loved LIS, the lip syncing from characters annoyed me as this was the games biggest flaw. Max wasn't forgettable in my opinion. I was disappointed with the final episode thoug. It felt rushed

• Could say the same for LiS, that ending was literally just the definition of POORLY WRITTEN.

After replaying both LiS and TFTB. LiS won it for me. Telltale ruined the ending of Tales, like wtf they disappeared all my choices doesn't matter anymore!

• It's a good game but the fact that you're forced to spend most of the game with a terrible character that's extremely hard to care about brings it down.

• edited December 2015

There are some mad double standards here... I seen people criticize Life is strange just for the fact that they think "the choices didn't matter in the end" Well guess what... TWD has the exact same formula...

The Impact of choices in TTG and Dontnod are just about the same.

Its okay to not like the game.. for me personally I found Life is strange to be the first story I enjoyed immensely since TWD S1 and TLOU.. . I get there are Telltale fanboys on here but don't act like Telltale is any better at "Making choices matter" same goes for Dontnod... Just enjoy both stories for what they are.. and their ability to make us empathise.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.