Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• edited April 2016

I think the music when Norma starts drowning Michonne in the puddle should sound familiar to those who played Season 2. It's the music that played for Kenny V Jane-Dawn of Clementine.

• That's Sam's drawing. Check out her room during the give ammo out scene, you can also see a passport of Sam's ma.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

He continued to get some great lines this episode, so at least there's that. Seriously, Randall has some great dialogue. He's definitely a memorable character in my opinion.

I wish Randall had done more in episode 3 but up until he died he was still written really well

• Wasn't that Greg's room? I thought it was the same one that they escaped from later. Not saying Greg drew that pic, Alex could have drawn it and Greg hung it up.

Did you guys spot the 'Super Greg' in James room? :,(

• edited April 2016

On the scene at Paige's room, she can reveal how she feels about her real life and about John and the rest of the Fairbanks letting her stay with them during all this time.

Paige: I'll be out of your hair soon enough. Never belonged here anyway.

Michonne: This is your home.

Paige: This place was never mine. They let me hang around, play make-believe… I left my real life a long time ago.

Alternatively, she can say that she's used to leaving by now.

Paige: I'll be out of your hair soon enough. Never belonged here anyway.

Michonne: But that's not why you're leaving.

Paige: I mean, it's part of it. Call it self-preservation, but I've gotten pretty used to knowing when it's time to cut and run.

The following is a note found by Michonne at John's room inside a cabinet, presumably left by his wife Sophia before she killed herself. Going along with a picture seen next to it, it makes up for pretty tragic, somber scene.

John,

Take care of our children and take care of yourself. I'm sorry. I know that doesn't help or explain anything, but it's true. I can't stand watching you and the kids, knowing what's going to happen to me, and what I'll become. Better to spare you that pain.

I love you more than anything.

Sophie.

John and Sophia

The following like provides with an insight of the Fairbanks' lives, John's especially, and helps players understand Sam's perspective of wanting to stay a little better.

Sam: It's just… so much of this place is my dad. It's all of us. He worked his way up from nothing… took a job cleaning houses, paid his way through law school… When he bought this house it was… it was proof thy he'd made a better life for us. We grew up here, I… Maybe I'm crazy, but I can't let that all be for nothing.

Then she proceeds to say…

Sam: He was so proud of what he'd built. This place kept us safe… We were happy here.

…which is ironic, because Sam doesn't realize that we did exactly that to Norma. We destroyed the colony she was proud of, where people were safe, where they could be happy.

Rounding up, you can find a Sophia's travel journal at Sam's room. If you pick it up, Michonne will read the following, as a callback to the Fairbank's travel to Paris.

"Took Sam to see the Eiffel Tower. I don't think she cared much for it, but we found a little shop on the way back and ate about fifty macaroons each. I blame the pregnancy. Sam blames our shared sweet tooth."

I don't get tired of finding more and more stuff like this. Please, @emilybuckshot, if you ever find a minute, thank whoever is responsible for them on my part, and tell them that they made a random customer on the forums happy. Oh, and thank you too for being so active.

• I thought that line was pretty funny, no matter how muffled it was.

edited April 2016

…which is ironic, because Sam doesn't realize that she did exactly that to Norma. She destroyed the colony she was proud of, where people were safe, where they could be happy.

That's human nature for you, like it or not. People get so caught up in the well-being of their own family and the people that they care about, that they forget to acknowledge the pain they might be causing to someone else's in the process. I'd be lying if I said I didn't put my family and their needs before someone else's on occasion.

I think this one line between Lee and the Stranger back in S1 sums it up well:

Lee: We were starving, it was cold--

Stranger: So MY family starved in the cold!

You don't always take the time to look at the bigger picture. We all do it now and again.

• edited April 2016

Oh, I am aware of that, @Deltino. I wasn't intending to bash on her character, if that's what you're apparently thinking. You can see I explained that the previous fragment that I quoted helps understand her better.

Perhaps Telltale worded her line on purpose so that it would contrast with what happened to Monroe. Looking back at it, I don't really know why I wrote it like Sam burned down the community if Michonne was the one who did it. I'll go fix that.

You don't always take the time to look at the bigger picture. We all do it now and again.

I'm pretty sure that connecting that line to Monroe's situation is looking at the bigger picture. Again, I wasn't attempting to demonize Sam.

Deltino posted: »

…which is ironic, because Sam doesn't realize that she did exactly that to Norma. She destroyed the colony she was proud of, where people we

Yeah, I know you weren't trying to bash her. I apologize if that's how my post ended up sounding. I just wanted to throw some philosophical crap out there because why not

everyone loves philosophical crap

Oh, I am aware of that, @Deltino. I wasn't intending to bash on her character, if that's what you're apparently thinking. You can see I expl

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited April 2016

Pete mentions Oceanside or one of the other communities up north where he could drop off the Fairbanks. Oceanside is mentioned in the comics.

Also, about the Wendigo, straight from Wikipedia:

In Algonquian folklore, the wendigo or windigo[note 1] is a cannibal monster or evil spirit native to the northern forests of the Atlantic Coast and Great Lakes Region of both the United States and Canada.[4] The windigo may appear as a monster with some characteristics of a human, or as a spirit who has possessed a human being and made them become monstrous. It is historically associated with cannibalism, murder, insatiable greed, and the cultural taboos against such behaviours.[5] The legend lends its name to the disputed modern medical term Wendigo psychosis, which is considered by psychiatrists to be a form of culture-bound syndrome with symptoms such as an intense craving for human flesh and a fear of becoming a cannibal.[6] In some Indigenous communities, environmental destruction and insatiable greed are also seen as a manifestation of Windigo Psychosis.[7]

Interesting to note that Algonquian peoples actually lived around the Chesapeake Bay, so it's perfectly reasonable to assume the Fairbanks are descended from one of the tribes. I applaud Telltale's attention to detail there. Some of the tribes that lived in the Virginia side include the famous Powhatan, Chickahominy, and Wicocomico. Kind of interesting, always appreciate some nods to my home state.

John had a law degree from Virginia, so I guess the Fairbanks house is in Virginia.

• Also, about the Wendigo, straight from Wikipedia: In Algonquian folklore, the wendigo or windigo[note 1] is a cannibal monster or evil spirit native to the northern forests of the Atlantic Coast and Great Lakes Region of both the United States and Canada.[4] The windigo may appear as a monster with some characteristics of a human, or as a spirit who has possessed a human being and made them become monstrous. It is historically associated with cannibalism, murder, insatiable greed, and the cultural taboos against such behaviours.[5] The legend lends its name to the disputed modern medical term Wendigo psychosis, which is considered by psychiatrists to be a form of culture-bound syndrome with symptoms such as an intense craving for human flesh and a fear of becoming a cannibal.[6] In some Indigenous communities, environmental destruction and insatiable greed are also seen as a manifestation of Windigo Psychosis.[7]

Either way, still reference to Until Dawn.

• Sure, it's-it's alright. No worries.

I love philosophical crap, by the way.

Yeah, I know you weren't trying to bash her. I apologize if that's how my post ended up sounding. I just wanted to throw some philosophical crap out there because why not everyone loves philosophical crap

edited April 2016

So, in Sam's room, you can get a glimpse at her passport:

enter image description here

But there is one small problem. Her birth date.

It's listed as August 1, 1993. But the problem is that TWD was meant to take place around 2003-2004 (from what I recall), which would make Sam no older than 10, and well, she is quite obviously not 10.

But then again, I can't remember if Kirkman ever specified an exact timeline for the universe, and if he did, whether he decided to change it or not. Either way, it's worth noting (I apologize in advance to the poor guy on the design team that's going to hate me after this post)

• edited April 2016

I apologize in advance to the poor guy on the design team that's going to hate me after this post

Oh my God… that's so… hell…

Please don't ban @Deltino.

And please don't fire the guy on the design team.

(?) Design team guy liked your comment.

So, in Sam's room, you can get a glimpse at her passport: But there is one small problem. Her birth date. It's listed as August 1,

• Was it suppose to say 1983?

So, in Sam's room, you can get a glimpse at her passport: But there is one small problem. Her birth date. It's listed as August 1,

• That would make more sense, since give or take they are in 2005 if it started in 2003. They are past day 623 in this series, so yeah.

DoubleJump posted: »

Was it suppose to say 1983?

• enter image description here

• As a Virginian, I love these VA references.

• edited April 2016

Shhh, the designer must've made a mistake and counted Sam's age in comparision to our current date, which would make Samantha twenty three in August :P

• Well actually she would probably be 14-15 because they passed about 5 years in the comics and Michonne was on the boat recently

• Nah, two years have passed when the Michonne series takes place.

I believe that @Crips is right, the designer counted as if it was 2016, which would make Sam 22. While the year of the outbreak is never specified, it is reasonable to assume that it was in the early to mid 2000s, just look at Michonne's cellphone in Episode 3 and their bulky cordless phone in Episode 2. In Season 1, there was also a train map which said 2003-2005, so yeah. Either the train conductor kept a ten year old map for god knows what reason, or Sam's 1993 birthday is a simple design oversight (she should have been born in 1983 if you go with 2003 as the outbreak year)

Well actually she would probably be 14-15 because they passed about 5 years in the comics and Michonne was on the boat recently

• (!) The following is an enormous plot-hole that affects the realism of the miniseries, or distorts the ending from what you believe it is. Pick either.

At the start of 'In Too Deep,' Pete tells Michonne that he is attempting to fix the tiller lever of the boat. Siddiq then says that they might find new boat parts on the then mysterious ferry, which suggests that Pete came to the conclusion that said tiller lever is broken. If the boat needed a new supply that was never brought from the ferry, how did Oak, Berto and Siddiq manage to get the boat to the shore? Let's say we'll let that pass. The miniseries ends with Michonne and whoever else survive walking into the horizon and approaching the boat. How do they plan to sail if a functional tiller lever is missing? Was Siddiq planning to take a tiller lever from what's left of Monroe? If that's how it went, they never discussed it on-screen, because it would make the last minutes anti-climatic.

• Maybe when those from Monroe found the ship stuck, they fixed it and brought it to shore, thinking they could use it later, then took the crewmates hostage as intended?

For how they got the boat to shore, Pete tells them to kedge the boat and lay anchor near the shoreline. Kedging is bascially throwing an anchor out, then pulling on the anchor to pull the boat towards it.

As for the second part, yeah, they were probably hoping on finding a tiller at Monroe. I mean, Monroe is a town made out of boats. And chances are they'd be holding onto parts for fixing a boat. Not to mention that all the broken tiller does is prevent them from actually steering the boat. They could still technically sail in it.

• She really does wear that shirt a lot, huh. I just noticed that she was wearing it in her passport photo, too.

• Yes they did.

He does not exist, they didn't model him.

• Here's Rashid for ya'll.

enter image description here

• How come Norma used a flare to summon her people to the hostage exchange? We all know she had walkie talkie and so did they. The flare is what brought the walkers and caused a lot of the chaos. I'm pretty sure she wanted things to go smoothly so her brother dosn't die.

• Norma did say to keep the chatter to a minimum since Randall's walkie-talkie has the same frequency that they use.

That's the only logical explanation I can give.

How come Norma used a flare to summon her people to the hostage exchange? We all know she had walkie talkie and so did they. The flare is wh

• But it wouldn't matter since Norma is talking to Michonne's group face to face, right? The whole keep the chatter to a minumum was for not hearing any plan discussion. After Norma arrived, who cares, just use it. Also, It would probably be safer to talk into a walkie talkie instead of pulling out a gun in front of a bunch of pissed off, armed with guns people.

Norma did say to keep the chatter to a minimum since Randall's walkie-talkie has the same frequency that they use. That's the only logical explanation I can give.

• edited April 2016

Is he in episode 1 files?

EDIT: Yep, found him. Thanks for letting me know. c:

Yes they did.

• enter image description here

Nah, two years have passed when the Michonne series takes place. I believe that @Crips is right, the designer counted as if it was 2016,

Let me refer to a post I made in another thread:

maybe this is just a story, and the writers wrote something that in hindsight wasn't the best idea, but it sounded good on paper at the time so they just rolled with it

Seriously, that's probably the best explanation you're going to get

In hindsight, you can look back at the scene and be like "wait a minute why did she do that", but when you're sitting in the writing room, putting the story together, you usually can't spare the time to agonize over every single thing you have a character do, because otherwise, well, you'll never finish the story. You'll get so caught up in minute details that you'll drive yourself nuts trying to consider every possible angle. Don't tell me you've never wrote an essay for school or something that sounded good when you were first writing it, but then you go back later and look at it like "damn, why did I word it this way, this sounds so stupid"

How come Norma used a flare to summon her people to the hostage exchange? We all know she had walkie talkie and so did they. The flare is wh

• Thanks, been looking for that picture. Weird, I thought it was 2005 and not 2006.

• Dat arab face.

Here's Rashid for ya'll.

• I figured that would be the case, but part of me was hoping for something else or something I missed.

Also thank goodness I don't have to write essays anymore.

Let me refer to a post I made in another thread: maybe this is just a story, and the writers wrote something that in hindsight wasn't

• emilybuckshotemilybuckshot Former Telltale Staff

This would actually be an art thing, not a design thing.
    This game takes place ~2005.
    Sam isn't 10 years old, she's 22.
    It should say 1983.

• emilybuckshotemilybuckshot Former Telltale Staff

There were a number of writers on episode 3, but predominantly Nicole Martinez, Erica Harrell, Desiree Proctor, and Andrew Hanson. They deserve all the credit for this. The design lead on ep 3 was Michael McCormick, with lots of work by Sean Ainsworth, Jean-Francois Gustallia, and Joe Ching.

• Really wish we saw them in-game, I wonder why they were cut.

Here's Rashid for ya'll.

• So his model does exist? Interesting.

Too bad the whole mystery of their disappearance will likely never be explained.

Here's Rashid for ya'll.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.