The Thread of general TWD-related questions

Comments

• Actually, he and the other characters on the cover art for Amid the Ruins were apparently supposed to be placeholders. I'm not saying he was never considered to show up at some point, but that's how it goes.

Gonna need a source on that. I've heard that regurgitated for years yet nobody from Telltale has said anything official about the matter.

My evidence is this:

• Eddie's model was altered. His original model has no hoodie yet he has one on the slide.
    • They also didn't just stick eddie on the front because lol reasons, whoever designed that was told by someone 'Hey, put this character on this slide'.
    • Why put him on there anyway? What did they need a placeholder for? Why not make him a silohuette like everyone else? They specifically point him out.
    • Mark Darin who wrote that 400 days episode was also a designer/writer for Amid the Ruins. It makes sense he would want to reuse a character he created like Nick Breckon did with Bonnie.

My theory is he was supposed to be Arvo. It makes sense if you think about it, both had an affiliation with drugs and Eddie would be dumb enough to try and stash drugs in a bin (why did Arvo do that anyway? Why not stash it at the house? Why get the guy with the crutch to do the hard work and not the other able members of the group? Maybe because he was supposed to be Eddie originally). I think the shootout would be different, Eddie would return to his group (perhaps he met up with the other 400 days characters and they are out for revenge after the group's stunt in E3) and tell them what happened and he would try to convince them it didn't matter but they don't care and he tries to negioate at the end of the episode. Obviously this is conjecture but let's be honest, my version of the story makes much more logical sense than out of nowhere Russians in east coast US 2 years into the ZA who can't hold a conversation in English.

All that said, I would like to hear a genuine answer from TTG about Eddie's involvement in AmTR.

DabigRG posted: »

Clearly he was supposed to be in S2 and we might have found out buuuuut rewrites. Actually, he and the other characters on the cover

• Gonna need a source on that. I've heard that regurgitated for years yet nobody from Telltale has said anything official about the matter.

I'm sure all of the 400 Days characters were created with intention of showing up with major roles in Season 2, but that changed thanks to a combination of repeated rewrites, clashing story directions, and just plain technical pragmatism. Still, the fact that Doug is apparently among the shadowed and Arvo has concept art indicates that any role Eddie might've had was nixed fairly early on in development.

why did Arvo do that anyway? Why not stash it at the house? Why get the guy with the crutch to do the hard work and not the other able members of the group? Maybe because he was supposed to be Eddie originally

It was confirmed on a stream or something that he was planning on getting his sister away from the other two and was planning on hiding the medicine at the observation deck for storage and retrieval purposes so they can run off with little drag. Even if Clementine and Jane didn't get in his way, he likely didn't think the hiding spot through because it wasn't fitting in the trash can and he was gonna have to find a different hiding spot.

Obviously this is conjecture but let's be honest, my version of the story makes much more logical sense than out of nowhere Russians in east coast US 2 years into the ZA who can't hold a conversation in English.

Yeah, I suppose. Personally, I genuinely think the Russian Group could've been an interesting set of antagonists had they been actually utilized as more than just a random Quirky Miniboss Squad.

Graysonn posted: »

Actually, he and the other characters on the cover art for Amid the Ruins were apparently supposed to be placeholders. I'm not saying he was

• That's if Eddie was left behind. I'm referring to the scenario where Wyatt is the one left behind.

Did Nate finally find him? Considering there's a credits shot of him dragging Officer Bennett with Nate waiting to have a word with him in the background, that's a strong possibility.

• Just saying. Determinant characters and shit.

That's if Eddie was left behind. I'm referring to the scenario where Wyatt is the one left behind.

• edited February 2017

Still, the fact that Doug is apparently among the shadowed and Arvo has concept art indicates that any role Eddie might've had was nixed fairly early on in development.

Eddie wasn't a silhouette though. He was really clear, at least in comparison to the others who were 100% meant to be vague shadows. There was also a Vince like hairstyle in one image where Kenny was but that was changed too. As for the Arvo concept art, that could have been created a month or two before development of episode 4 not neccessarily at the beginning. I do believe though that Eddie was cut out early though despite that.

it was confirmed on a stream or something that he was planning on getting his sister away from the other two and was planning on hiding the medicine at the observation deck for storage and retrieval purposes so they can run off with little drag

I actually didn't know about this, thanks for mentioning it. But when were TTG ever going to tell us that? How was the player supposed to work that out? God damn I hate AmTR so much.

Yeah, I suppose. Personally, I genuinely think the Russian Group could've been an interesting set of antagonists had they been actually utilized as more than just a random Quirky Miniboss Squad.

I mean, maybe so but the Russian group was designed with the whole intent of them being an ambush gang. Out of the very little things I like about S3, I at least appreciate they're trying to give us some character to the villians. Max is a bad guy but he's not a complete asshole and is just on edge for example. I feel the Russians came out of nowhere with no explanation. I don't know, it just feels so rushed. I have so many questions yet we get so little answers.

Gonna need a source on that. I've heard that regurgitated for years yet nobody from Telltale has said anything official about the matter.

• Well, they were literally all on screen for like a combined 20 seconds. If Howe's had been developed and fleshed out more, like it ought to have been...

They actually were surrounded at that point, because as someone pointed out Howes was in the eye of the storm so to speak. I feel like no

• edited February 2017

Are you kidding me? They left out vital information that makes the story make sense? Good god.

If it was season 1, we would have had an option to chat with him, and he would have told us exactly what he was doing earlier. And depending on whether we robbed him or not, he would have told us in a sad tone or an angry tone.
    Or something like that.

• edited February 2017

I don't blame Eddie for leaving him behind when Nate showed up. Did you see that guy's eyes, man? He is fucking GORKED.

If Eddie left Wyatt behind, do you think he continued ued looking for his friend or did Eddie give up eventually?

• Hmmm. He didn't get very far in the month or so since Vinces story.

He apparently got lost running away from the highway and wandered into the swamp some time before Eddie hit him.

• Yeah, pretty much. The funny thing is there were a number of people saying exactly that and it is worth noting his behavior if you simply wait instead of talking to him and ask him why he was doing that does match up with it. Personally, I wasn't one of those people despite sympathizing with and eventually liking him: I just assumed Buricko/Vitali wasn't very empathetic/considerate about his stature and just let him go out to set up a second base for the winter on his own since it gives him a clear parallel with Clementine, so I was honestly surprised when someone shared that information here.

Honestly, that's actually pretty consistent with a lot of issues with the storytelling: giving vague "hints" as to what certain plot elements mean and the events that motivate each characters actions without elaborating on them and then treating said character as being simpler than they were made out to be.

Louche posted: »

Are you kidding me? They left out vital information that makes the story make sense? Good god. If it was season 1, we would have had an o

• Eddie wasn't a silhouette though. He was really clear, at least in comparison to the others who were 100% meant to be vague shadows. There was also a Vince like hairstyle in one image where Kenny was but that was changed too. As for the Arvo concept art, that could have been created a month or two before development of episode 4 not neccessarily at the beginning. I do believe though that Eddie was cut out early though despite that.

True enough.

I actually didn't know about this, thanks for mentioning it. But when were TTG ever going to tell us that? How was the player supposed to work that out? God damn I hate AmTR so much.

I don't know. It's possible they were planning on having him(or possibly another Russian) elaborate or maybe they were just planting a mystery for the sake of it. I'm not even sure if Nick Breckon created the Russian Group himself with the intention of using them for his 'original' plans or if they were just created by [JT Petty's partner] or whoever before he got stuck with them and simply neglected to do anything worthwhile to elaborate on they(or Jane for that matter, in the even that he didn't create her either) while attempting to write a conclusion to that shuffled clusterfuck of a Season.

I mean, maybe so but the Russian group was designed with the whole intent of them being an ambush gang. Out of the very little things I like about S3, I at least appreciate they're trying to give us some character to the villians. Max is a bad guy but he's not a complete asshole and is just on edge for example. I feel the Russians came out of nowhere with no explanation. I don't know, it just feels so rushed. I have so many questions yet we get so little answers.

Well, like I said, they seemed to be there to shock you into asking a bunch of questions about them and they're agenda, but there were few answers provided, leaving them a bit of a Wacky Wayside Tribe("Well...that happened."). With that said, it's not like there was nothing to help explain their presence, so here's what I've gathered/hypothesized:

• The four Russians were almost certainly immigrants with possible criminal and/or political ties, as Buricko has Nazi/Communist symbols tattoo'd on him and he and/or Vitali is notably aggressive and somewhat psychotic in demeanor.
    • Natasha, despite presumably being Arvo's guardian, was also being cared for by them due to [originally(?)] having sickle cell anemia, hence Arvo's description of her symptoms, the medicine stash he was noticeably protective of being mostly painkillers, her somewhat paler skin, and some screechy lines where she slips into English while flying into hysterics before the shootout. Also, purely WMG on my part, but she may have been accepted into the group and kept around despite her sickness in part because Vitali had a thing for her, as translations reveal he is very angry about her death in particular, refused to back down even with Kenny offering to let him go and taking Arvo hostage, and was planning on killing him slowly before being interrupted by Jane.
    • By contrast, Arvo wasn't very well treated by the duo, who has him do their light work despite him being handicapped[from unknown causes that may or may not be tied to Natasha's own affliction and their families genetics, if that's even how it works]. This shown in how they have him approach the group in the open despite knowing they were apperently dangerous, laughing at him when they realize Clementine was one of the two who robbed him, order him to go through with their own robbery when determinately attempts to drag his feet and/or negotiate, and when Vitali pretends to disregard Kenny's taking him hostage.
    • Caught in the middle of the outbreak with Natasha's sickness, limited bilingualism, and Arvo having a brace, the group visited Wellington and was predictably turned away by Edith, as the supply bags Arvo offered the group resembles and/or are the same model as them.
    • With the medicine, supply bags, and firearms in their collection, the four traveled to the Unfinished House in North Carolina(which may or may not have been meant for them in the first place) and hid out there. They may have fought off walkers or trespassers while on the way there or simply had little ammunition, as Vitali/Buricko apparently has a line where he specifies wanting some from the Howe's Ski Cabin group.
    • Not really important, but apparently Buricko/Vitali has/had/has a large dog that he unfavorably compares Clementine to after laughing at Arvo. It's nowhere to be seen when the group arrives days later, so it may've died or wandered off beforehand.
    • Either out of concern for her health in the oncoming season, simply being fed up with the other two's behavior, or both, Arvo slipped out with Natasha's medicine stash with the intention of finding a rendevous point to hide it so he could later take her away and run off. Unfortunately for him, he ran into Clementine and Jane, who stuck him up, got him to reveal mostly truths about his presence(as he can tell you about his group's existence, Natasha's sickness, and the importance of the medicine, but he lies about them being close and hesitates if asked why he was trying to hid the bag in the trash can), and considered taking it for their own group.
    • Whether they actually took it or not, Arvo came home without the medicine and his pistol and was forced to face the music concerning what happened. Buricko/Vitali and Natasha then decided they should confront this native group to get back the medicine(which Natasha has line telling Arvo to just get it back so they can go) and potentially anything else they may have that might be useful.

Still, I wish any of that and more would've been properly utilized to give Arvo some directly given backstory in the vain of the St. John's farm.

Still, the fact that Doug is apparently among the shadowed and Arvo has concept art indicates that any role Eddie might've had was nixed fai

• Is that how long it was between those stories? Weird.

Where exactly was that swamp compared to the highway the bus was abandoned on or the road where Carley/Doug was shot?

Hmmm. He didn't get very far in the month or so since Vinces story.

• In Wyatts story they drive past the prison bus and Gils at the very beginning, and then shoot at Nate before turning off into Yewberry Road. So i would say the road was a quarter mile or less from the pitstop.

Is that how long it was between those stories? Weird. Where exactly was that swamp compared to the highway the bus was abandoned on or the road where Carley/Doug was shot?

• Okay...maybe he just hid out at Gil's for a bit before traveling away from there just in time to be hit by Eddie.

In Wyatts story they drive past the prison bus and Gils at the very beginning, and then shoot at Nate before turning off into Yewberry Road. So i would say the road was a quarter mile or less from the pitstop.

• What virtues/vices/whatever did Clementine learn from each person?

• According to the story generator (aka Telltale themselves):

Lee taught her about survival, self reliance, justice, and community.

Kenny taught her honesty, determination, and family.

Luke taught her compassion, cooperation, and trust.

Jane taught her about survival, cunning, and independence.

What virtues/vices/whatever did Clementine learn from each person?

• In episode 2 of ANF, Jesus says he 'heard that the old train tunnel goes under Richmond'. He later says "they didn't tell me there was a train here" when it blocks the groups path. Who is "they"?

• edited February 2017

Hmm...honesty is not what I'd associate with Kenny, but I can sorta see it. Also, Jane teaching her about survival again is an acceptable redundancy, so I'll let it slide as well. Though now I'm wondering why Lee has four things under his belt and why Clementine had to be taught things like justice, determination, and compassion.

Also, do Nick, Sarah, and Arvo factor into the story generator much?

According to the story generator (aka Telltale themselves): Lee taught her about survival, self reliance, justice, and community. Kenn

• Isn't he a part of a group of survivors/freedom fighters or something in the comics?

In episode 2 of ANF, Jesus says he 'heard that the old train tunnel goes under Richmond'. He later says "they didn't tell me there was a train here" when it blocks the groups path. Who is "they"?

• Under honesty it says something along the lines of, "No matter what, Kenny always let you know where he stood". He was always rather straightforward and sought the truth. I cant think of an instance where he outright lied.

And yeah, Nick taught her about forgiveness and loyalty. Sarah taught her about innocence and friendship. Arvo taught her a lesson about judging a book by its cover and forgiving enemies.

Hmm...honesty is not what I'd associate with Kenny, but I can sorta see it. Also, Jane teaching her about survival again is an acceptable re

• Under honesty it says something along the lines of, "No matter what, Kenny always let you know where he stood". He was always rather straightforward and sought the truth. I cant think of an instance where he outright lied.

Yeah, that would be my thought on that.

And yeah, Nick taught her about forgiveness and loyalty. Sarah taught her about innocence and friendship.

Why loyalty? And there's something inherently funny about the teenager with PTSD teaching her about innocence.

Arvo taught her a lesson about judging a book by its cover and forgiving enemies.

Did it really say that? :lol:

Under honesty it says something along the lines of, "No matter what, Kenny always let you know where he stood". He was always rather straigh

• No clue, I haven't read the comics. I wonder if that means his friends will be part of the NF... Brad Kane hinted that just because we know who Jesus is doesn't mean we should trust him (then he left the company, lol).

Isn't he a part of a group of survivors/freedom fighters or something in the comics?

• Most likely his contacts at Richmond, the people he's supposedly looking after, which may - or may not - be good people

In episode 2 of ANF, Jesus says he 'heard that the old train tunnel goes under Richmond'. He later says "they didn't tell me there was a train here" when it blocks the groups path. Who is "they"?

• He's part of the Hilltop and by extension Alexandria. But afaik they shouldn't have much knowledge or experience in Richmond.

Isn't he a part of a group of survivors/freedom fighters or something in the comics?

• You can lie in order to cover for him after he shoots Matthew. You can also promise Pete to look after him. So yeah, loyalty.

And yeah most of the group didn't think Arvo looked like a threat, but like Kenny says that isn't the point. He still turned out to be dangerous.

Under honesty it says something along the lines of, "No matter what, Kenny always let you know where he stood". He was always rather straigh

• edited March 2017

You can lie in order to cover for him after he shoots Matthew. You can also promise Pete to look after him. So yeah, loyalty.

Yeah, I guess that does sorta fit. Too bad he didn't go anywhere.

And yeah most of the group didn't think Arvo looked like a threat, but like Kenny says that isn't the point. He still turned out to be dangerous.

More like turned dangerous. But that's not really what I asked.

You can lie in order to cover for him after he shoots Matthew. You can also promise Pete to look after him. So yeah, loyalty. And yeah mo

• What was life like at Howes if you weren't stuck in the yard?

What did Carver use that creepy bloody chair for? Alvin died at the lodge in my game but Carver still had it.

• Clementine's season? Yes and no.

Yeah, probably. Honestly, I don't see too much of a reason why Becca specifically couldn't have been around more, especially given this was

• edited February 2017

Yeah, damn imagine that. Making a character look flat and more 1 dimensional than they actually are. Geez.

Yeah, pretty much. The funny thing is there were a number of people saying exactly that and it is worth noting his behavior if you simply wa

• I don't think Alvin was Carver's first victim on that chair. (If saved)

What was life like at Howes if you weren't stuck in the yard? What did Carver use that creepy bloody chair for? Alvin died at the lodge in my game but Carver still had it.

• edited February 2017

He probably used that chair to torture folk for interrogations or in Alvin's case, because he saw you as threat. Now, what type of torture I couldn't really say, but I'd reckon he'd subject them to a brutal beating, going off on how he treated Kenny. It seemed Carver liked that sort of thing.

What was life like at Howes if you weren't stuck in the yard? What did Carver use that creepy bloody chair for? Alvin died at the lodge in my game but Carver still had it.

• edited February 2017

So, let's say, Telltale do decide to make a season 4, would any of you guys actually be interested in seeing a character, like Nate for example, be the main protagonist and playable character? Somebody who's clearly a bad person, is unpredictable and is probably missing a few screws in the head department, and is basically a complete opposite of the previous 3 protagonist thus far, who're, in all honesty, mostly all-around good people. And if so, would you try to choose the choices that'd redeem them or would you just be an all around bastard? Oh, and also do you think with regards to choices, would having a more morally flawed protagonist effect them for the better or worse?

• Me neither. He died in my game before we got to Howes and the chair was still covered in blood.

AronDracula posted: »

I don't think Alvin was Carver's first victim on that chair. (If saved)

• He probably broke some fingers too, judging from how he handled Carlos. I wonder if the people who made it into that chair ever made it out.

OneWayNoWay posted: »

He probably used that chair to torture folk for interrogations or in Alvin's case, because he saw you as threat. Now, what type of torture I

• Probably not. Everyone was terrified of Carver in Howes and it's likely he made a few "examples" after the Cabin Group's escape, in order to really instil his control over the place.

He probably broke some fingers too, judging from how he handled Carlos. I wonder if the people who made it into that chair ever made it out.

• I wonder why Reggie wasn't put in that chair after he helped the cabin group escape?

Probably not. Everyone was terrified of Carver in Howes and it's likely he made a few "examples" after the Cabin Group's escape, in order to really instil his control over the place.

• that's so creepy

He probably used that chair to torture folk for interrogations or in Alvin's case, because he saw you as threat. Now, what type of torture I

• It'd be interesting, for sure.

So, let's say, Telltale do decide to make a season 4, would any of you guys actually be interested in seeing a character, like Nate for exam

• Well, he did get his arm cut off. Now, I know he said they cut it off because he had been bitten, but for all we know, he could have just lied in fear of Carver and that in actual fact, his arm was chopped due to the role he played in the Cabin Group's escape.

I wonder why Reggie wasn't put in that chair after he helped the cabin group escape?

• Giving the 400 Days characters a whole season would rope me in big time.

So, let's say, Telltale do decide to make a season 4, would any of you guys actually be interested in seeing a character, like Nate for exam

Sign in to comment in this discussion.