Jurassic Park Install Problems

I've downloaded the series for PC a few times and on a few computers. I get a folder called components (which seems to have individual files for installing one at a time for 2, 3 and 4, then one called "default"), an executable file which lets me install the first game, and a mystery file that seems to be nothing but is also called "components".

Installing the executable leads to an error that says "Could not load game data! Make sure you are running the application from the directory it was installed to". This happens no matter where I run it. Installing the default seems to work, but then it tells me that it's missing "thumbs", content_bg.png, login.png, mainframe.png, news ticker.png, rock left (and right).png, french and german localization files, and the mouse input file 0_input_mouse.ttarch. All this does is put a bunch of "ttarch" files in my C: folder.

I've never had any problems installing a TT game. What do I need to do?

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I've got that same problem. I'm still working on a solution :(
  • edited November 2011
    If you have a virus scanner installed, please try disabling it prior to unzipping the installation file, and then try to install it again.
  • edited November 2011
    I ran it on my newer computer and it worked fine. Is this game not going to work on XP?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    One thing you might try is to right click on the launcher exe, go to Properties -> Compatibility, tick "Run this program in compaitibility mode for:" and play with the XP options.
  • edited November 2011
    I have the same issue. If I click on it says "Could not load game data! Make sure you are running the application from the directory it was installed to"
    I just don't get it! :(
  • edited November 2011
    nanotyrano wrote: »
    I have the same issue. If I click on it says "Could not load game data! Make sure you are running the application from the directory it was installed to"
    I just don't get it! :(

Same here! :(
  • edited November 2011
    Installing the executable leads to an error that says "Could not load game data! Make sure you are running the application from the directory it was installed to". This happens no matter where I run it.

When do you get this message? While installing the game (press the button details to see the exact time) or after installing without any error message and when trying to run the game?
  • edited November 2011
    i have the same problem , and it is after the installation
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Installing the executable leads to an error that says "Could not load game data! Make sure you are running the application from the directory it was installed to".

This error occurs, when you double click on the JurassicPark100_Setup.zip, and start the JurassicPark100_Setup.exe from inside the zip file.

Please try right clicking JurassicPark100_Setup.zip and selecting "Extract All". Then open the "JurassicPark100_Setup" Folder and start "JurassicPark100_Setup.exe".

The problem here is, that opening a zip by double clicking looks very similar to opening a folder and can be confused. Actually you should get a warning, trying to run the .exe from inside the .zip file, so if you see that try the other approach.
  • edited November 2011
    I'm able to download the game, but during it, I get two files that pop-up instantaneously, then I usually ignore it. Then i go on, and it says 'Congratulations!' And stuff. But the thing is, the game NEVER pops up. I'll click the game, click 'Open' and every way you could start the game, but the game just won't come up. I had to restore my memory this morning and I got it to work, then it didn't work again. It only works once, then it's over? Please help. I've been waiting almost 2 years for this game. ._.
  • edited November 2011
    AndrewF wrote: »
    I'm able to download the game, but during it, I get two files that pop-up instantaneously, then I usually ignore it.

What do you mean here? Were you able to install the game properly? Do you mean windows pop up, and if so, what windows?
  • edited November 2011
    Windows 7 x64 Suported????? Not playing!!!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2011
    BlueTrack wrote: »
    Windows 7 x64 Suported????? Not playing!!!

Yes it is. I'm playing on Win 7 64 Bit. What problem do you run into?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm trying to install Jurassic Park my virus protection is off I'm using a Windows 7 Ultimate it can't install I'll I get is a black screen with messages then it disappears and doesn't install When I open it it says "open with " I click 7Zip (I don't have WinZip) and the black screen appears then disappears so I need help:mad:
  • edited December 2011
    i can't get jp to download on my computer. all i get is a tab saying connecting but nothing happens please help. otherwise i want my money back.
  • edited December 2011
    how do i get my refund for the game? i feel like i got ripped off. i want my money back.
  • edited December 2011
    :mad:how do i get my refund for the game? i feel like i got ripped off. i want my money back.
  • edited December 2011
    You can send me a PM with your order number, but I'm not clear on what your issue is. If you're not able to download the game from our servers, that would indicate an issue with your internet connection. You might want to try disabling your anti-virus program prior to starting the download.
  • edited December 2011
    i just want my money back please!!! i'm not gonna risk putting viruses on my computer.
    ID#600145972662255.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having the exact same issue, what can we do about this?!!!!!!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2011
    I am having the exact same issue, what can we do about this?!!!!!!

The "Could not load game data!" issue? Which of the solutions in this thread have you tried already?
  • edited January 2012
    when i want to log in, there say'Sorry, but it looks like you don’t own the full version of Jurassic Park'
    what can i do?
    please help me?
  • edited January 2012
    xiaolong wrote: »
    when i want to log in, there say'Sorry, but it looks like you don’t own the full version of Jurassic Park'
    what can i do?
    please help me?

You need to login using the account you purchased the game with. You haven't purchased anything on the account you're logged in with now.
  • edited February 2012
    When I try to run the game, I get the following error:

"Error
    Could not load game data!
    Make sure you are running the application from the directory it was installed to."

followed by another dialogue box:

"Error
    Unfortunately, this error cannot be recovered."

Procedure I took:
    Unzipped the JurassicPark100_Setup.zip into a folder location.
    From that folder, ran JurassicPark100_Setup.exe.
    Game installed.
    Tried to run, but got error above.
    Uninstalled the game.
    Disabled antivirus.
    Ran JurassicPark100_Setup.exe as admin.
    Tried to run, but got error above.
    Tried running game in compatibility modes (got error above).
    Uninstalled game again.
    Tried installing game as admin using compatibility mode.
    Ran game, got same error as above.
    Tried installing default_com.exe from Components folder.
    Got a "Windows cannot access..." error :confused:

I downloaded the game directly from the http://www.telltalegames.com webstore.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

In the installation directory, there are the following files/folders:
    Jurassic Park the Game (shortcut)
    UNINSTALL_JurassicPark100.exe
    GameData (folder)
    >fmodex.dll
    >JurassicPark100.exe
    >steam_api.dll
    >Temp (folder)
    >>empty

-Jonathan
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2012
    MONKAYMOO wrote: »
    In the installation directory, there are the following files/folders:
    Jurassic Park the Game (shortcut)
    UNINSTALL_JurassicPark100.exe
    GameData (folder)
    >fmodex.dll
    >JurassicPark100.exe
    >steam_api.dll
    >Temp (folder)
    >>empty

-Jonathan

It looks like the folder "GameData\Pack" is missing, which means something went wrong during the installation.

Please uninstall the game, start your computer in clean boot mode (see below), and then try installing it again as described here.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. If running the game on Steam, re-check the "Steam Client Service"
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks. The install was successful.
  • edited March 2012
    DjNDB, Thanks a million for that solution. Had the same problem as MONKAYMOO. What a relief. Keep up the good volunteering. dgph
  • edited March 2012
    Dear Telltale Games Forum,

I have tried to install this game using the disk that you sent me via Amazon but the installation stops almost immediately every time and at the same position.

My son is an IT expert and he tried to copy the files from the disk to a directory on my PC to see if he could install from there. This was not successful because there were 6 files on the disk that would just not copy across.

I have read many of the posts on the Telltale Games forum but, although some messages are the same, they don't help because my game never installs in the first place and the users on the forum seem to have downloaded from the internet rather than trying to install from a disk.

Please can you help because I would much prefer the game to work than to have to send it back. One of my favourite games is Trespasser so you can see I need my dino fix!

Thanks, Paul (FatherUnwin)
  • edited March 2012
    Sorry, but we don't sell the PC version of this game through Amazon, so I'm not sure what you actually bought. What kind of packaging did the disc come in?
  • edited March 2012
    Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Here is a link to the product which is not being sold by Amazon themselves. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jurassic-Park-The-Game-DVD/dp/B006ZN61VS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1330767691&sr=1-1
  • edited March 2012
    Hello Michael,

The packaging was terrific. A plastic case with the Jurassic logo on one side and screenshots etc on the back that was inside an excellent cardboard sleeve with the same front and back covers as the plastic case.

Thanks

Paul
  • edited March 2012
    Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply. The game was sold by Gameswop and fulfilled by Amazon. I can't post a link but it is easy to find on Amazon.co.uk

Best Wishes

Paul
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2012
    My son is an IT expert and he tried to copy the files from the disk to a directory on my PC to see if he could install from there. This was not successful because there were 6 files on the disk that would just not copy across.

My best guess is that the disc itself might have a defect.
  • edited March 2012
    Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply. The game was sold by Gameswop and fulfilled by Amazon. I can't post a link but it is easy to find on Amazon.co.uk

Best Wishes

Paul

Sorry, didn't realize you were in Europe. That was my mistake.

Like DjNDB said, it does sound like a physical defect on the disc. The best bet is to exchange it with the vendor. If you're not able to do that, please let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.
  • edited March 2012
    Hello DjNDB and Michael,

Thanks very much for your kind replies.

On a whim I decided to select the option to install in French and it worked. The game is still in English but the instructions to install were French and, as I knew them already, were easy to follow. If I get any more problems I will let you know!

Bonjour!

Paul
  • edited March 2012
    Going now on my 5th attempt to actually download the 2.6 gig file.....

Gotten as far as 2.2gb; 1.3gb; 1.4gb; 700mb before it just stops - doesn't appear to be the net connection as I can still access other sites the entire time, but a little annoying for sure - especially considering how much of my monthly usage it's eating up so far!
  • edited March 2013
    i cannot login
  • edited May 2013
    :confused:tolong bantu aku gak bisa masuk login karena ini
    Sorry, but it looks like you don’t own the full version of Jurassic Park
  • edited May 2013
    DjNDB wrote: »
    yes it is. I'm playing on win 7 64 bit. What problem do you run into?

doesnt work they say sorroy it doesnt looks like you have the fulll version and i just bought it for 29dollars
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Fahad1212 wrote: »
    doesnt work they say sorroy it doesnt looks like you have the fulll version and i just bought it for 29dollars

Where did you buy it?
This discussion has been closed.