Another series / license sewn up (or simply referring to Sam & Max?)

Comments

• edited May 2006
    once they make pancake quest they then need to declare pancakequest thursday! where you can only play pancakequest on the first thursday of march.. :p

This is only tangentially related but I was in the store the other day and I saw Eggo has pre-made microwaveable pancakes..

When did this happen? How freaking long was I out?

Man... Eggo pancakes. Scary. Fun fact: You can make your own waffles and freeze them with much the same results as Eggo (except they'll taste better) (unless you're a lousy cook).
  • edited May 2006
    once they make pancake quest they then need to declare pancakequest thursday! where you can only play pancakequest on the first thursday of march.. :p

This is only tangentially related but I was in the store the other day and I saw Eggo has pre-made microwaveable pancakes..

When did this happen? How freaking long was I out?

Man... Eggo pancakes. Scary. Fun fact: You can make your own waffles and freeze them with much the same results as Eggo (except they'll taste better) (unless you're a lousy cook).

At that point wouldn't it just be easier to keep pre-mixed batter in the fridge? The amount of time you spent nuking a frozen waffle can't be much longer than cooking one in the waffle iron.

The whole point of a frozen waffle is you're just that lazy. So if you're going to put in the slightest effort in the first place, you may as well go all the way.

I could be missing the point though. My fridge is currently home to 6 eggs, some broccoli, two kinds of beer and various instances of salad dressing... so I wouldn't say I'm in the best position to comment.

oh, I forgot the shredded cheese. You can't have a bachelor fridge without bags of shredded cheese.
  • edited May 2006
    I think the idea is that when you make waffles, you make a bunch of extras and freeze them. It's less effort to pull one out and put it in the toaster than it is to get some batter out, unearth and plug in the waffle iron, and cook it. Especially if you're in a rush.
  • edited May 2006
    I think the idea is that when you make waffles, you make a bunch of extras and freeze them. It's less effort to pull one out and put it in the toaster than it is to get some batter out, unearth and plug in the waffle iron, and cook it. Especially if you're in a rush.

Hmmm true. Definitely useful info then for those late night waffle making benders.

Bonus points if you can convince someone who isn't you to make all of the waffles in the first place.
  • edited May 2006
    If this waffle license doesn't pan out... how about

Blade Runner

There's a crapload of activity around the movie in the next couple of years.
    This coming September, there will be a new limited DVD release (HD-DVD & Blu-ray Disc are also planned) of the restored 1992 Director's Cut (you know... the one that isn't really a director's cut). This will be available for just four months. We believe this is basically the 2-disc release that Warner had originally planned to bow LAST year.

Then next year, just in time for the film's 25th anniversary, Ridley Scott's ultimate Blade Runner: The Final Cut will hit theaters for a limited run. This will be a REAL director's cut, with restored scenes and more - all the stuff that Ridley's always wanted to do with the film but hasn't really been given the chance to do before. That will be followed later in the year by an Ultimate Blade Runner DVD release. You can expect a multi-disc box set (again, likely with a simultaneous HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc release) that will contain at least four different versions of the film... ALL in full anamorphic widescreen, we might add. You'll get the film's original U.S. theatrical cut, you'll get the expanded international theatrical cut, you'll get the 1992 Director's Cut and you'll get the new Final Cut as well. Now... we realize at this point, you may have questions. Keep in mind, there's a TON of additional material that's going to be included in this set that hasn't been announced and can't be talked about yet - all-new material that you've never seen before. The set is pretty early in the planning and production stage, so it's way too early to talk details, but trust us... some very cool stuff is in the works. These extras will likely be different from the September '06 release, so if you buy both you'll at least be getting your money's worth.

bladerunnerartdrewstruzan.jpg

The previous Westwood adventure game shows that there's potential outside of Deckard's character, and even playing as Deckard in a time before the movie is set would be possible.

I know it's yet another 'law enforcement' type game, but rather different to both CSI & Sam & Max. Also lends itself to episodic content with a new case for the Blade Runner each episode, and an overall arc, perhaps leading into the events immediately preceding the movie.

And you have that Westwood game's fanbase to market to, as well as the huge cult following of the movie. A demo packed in as DVD bonus content would reach a lot of people (I believe certain multiplater FPS Star Wars games by a company you may be familiar with have used their regular DVD releases to get their game demos into many houses, creating their biggest selling games ever).

Anyway, something to think about if the waffles don't work out.
  • edited November 2006
    More grasping at straws!
    From September 30, 2006 interview
    AP: Will you release other “realistic” adventure, like CSI, or something slighty different like Texas Hold'em in the next future?

Emily: Having worked on CSI, Telltale is definitely set up to do realistic-looknig games as well as cartoon games, and I know we're looking at several licenses to start working on down the road. We're not ready to say what that next project will be, but it won't necessarily be a comedy.

Yeah... so it's hardly any information at all, but can at least get some people (me) to grasp at straws that are beyond the S&M, DOTT, wacky cartoony mode.
  • edited November 2006
    What about an Indy graphic adventure?:rolleyes:
  • edited November 2006
    My best bet? The guys are working on another CSI or... Lost: the tie-in has been announced by Ubisoft. ;)
  • edited November 2006
    All I know is that I am excited! So excited, I just wet myself.

Dangit... twice.
  • edited November 2006
    From Telltale's recent participation in Adventure Europe's developer chats:
    Heather Logas:
    Production is always hectic. But yeah, I think more so with these games. Still, things come along remarkably smoothly for what we're trying to do. It's amazing. Kris Kilayko took over the production of the season and she is keeping everything ship-shape. I haven't been personally working on Sam & Max for a little bit now but to me it seems like things come together at startling speeds.

Me:
    I'll take your thinly veiled hint to ask about what you've been working on besides Sam & Max.
    (Hoping the answer is something besides updating Bone....)

Heather Logas:
    That wasn't intended as a hint, but even if it was this is a spoiler free zone!

Are they up to something, or am I just grasping at straws?
  • edited November 2006
    Nah, they're up to something alright.

Shacknews (May 12 2006) "Finally, Bruner revealed that the company has a secret project in the works, but he wouldn't give so much as a hint towards its identity."
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    Maybe the Sea Monkeys have been especially rambunctious lately.
  • edited November 2006
    The dead ones?
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    That's when they're at their worst. :eek:
  • edited December 2006
    is the Full Throttle liscence up for grabs yet? or is Lucasarts still being, well, Lucasarts?

A really far pitch from left field, how about Doctor Who, or its spinoff, Torchwood?
  • edited January 2007
    Oh, man. I hope we get an announcement on this 'secret licence' soon - it would make sense to time it while the world is enamoured with Sam & Max episodes...
  • edited January 2007
    I'd pay serious SERIOUS money for a Calvin & Hobbes game. The Telltale Tool is a perfect platform for it.

If that fails, a Doctor Who game would be good, if a little too kinetic for Telltale (after all, how do you run from a Dalek when the characters move at a snail pace?).
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    I like that there's a "secret license."
  • edited January 2007
    I'd pay serious SERIOUS money for a Calvin & Hobbes game. The Telltale Tool is a perfect platform for it.

If that fails, a Doctor Who game would be good, if a little too kinetic for Telltale (after all, how do you run from a Dalek when the characters move at a snail pace?).

I have incredible doubts that such a thing will happen. Bill Waterson has been notorious for keeping Calvin and Hobbes exclusively in comic strip form.

I'm crossing my fingers that it's a totally original series. Bringing back Sam and Max is great, but I could use some fresh stuff from Telltale, especially now that I've seen first-hand that they're quite capable.
  • edited January 2007
    this may sound a bit unrealistic, but you know who i would LOVE to have telltale create an adventure game for...

Ren_and_Stimpy_colored_by_Lolzards.jpg
  • edited January 2007
    No, sir, I don't like it.

:p
  • MelMel
    edited January 2007
    Pinky and the Brain! :D

PinkyBrain_1.jpg
  • edited January 2007
    These anthropomorphic duos are too similar in comedic style to Sam and Max for me--I'd prefer a change up.
  • MelMel
    edited January 2007
    You've got a good point there. :)
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah, so where's Blade Runner!? :D
  • edited January 2008
    Space Quest. I'd love to see what Telltale and the "Two Guys from Andromeda" could do together. That would be my deepest adventure gaming wish.
  • edited January 2008
    would be awesome.. any of the sierra titles before vivendi.. even another sierra or dynamix titles.. id love to see a rise of the dragon or even a borrowed time/deja vu redo of somekind.. Bladerunner.. sigh I just got that dvd set but dont have the eggs to open it. Doh! carry on!
  • edited January 2008
    you know tilted mill(from caesar fame) just made the new simcity game.. if telltale can't acquire the rights to lucasarts properties maybe they could get the old sierra properties off vivendi.. I'd love to see a new police quest game!
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    Kaldire wrote: »
    would be awesome.. any of the sierra titles before vivendi.. even another sierra or dynamix titles.. id love to see a rise of the dragon or even a borrowed time/deja vu redo of somekind.. Bladerunner.. sigh I just got that dvd set but dont have the eggs to open it. Doh! carry on!

You know, the Bladerunner game was licensed from the Bladerunner Partnership so... if anyone wants to make a game based on Bladerunner...
  • edited February 2008
    says CEO Dan Connors. "All this great talent is accelerating our plans to take advantage of the momentum Telltale has earned through the first two seasons of Sam & Max. We'll be announcing several new episodic series on multiple platforms in the near future, to offer even more new experiences for fans. Stay tuned!

I'm tuned. TOTALLY tuned.

Great news with Stemmle joining too! I wonder if this means one of the current Sam & Max project leads will now be leading a new series and leaving Sam & Max to Mike...?
  • edited February 2008
    I wonder if one of these licenses is the one that Telltale hinted at back in the Paleolithic Period, also known as May 2006.

EDIT: Or, you know, the one that this thread was created about. ¬
  • edited February 2008
    Not necessarily a license, though in either case (which of course may well be referring to the same project). ;)

Edit;
    Emily wrote: »
    Before speculation starts running rampant, I'll go on record saying that both of the unannounced series are based on existing licenses. We really like working with licensed properties for various reasons (the built-in audience and brand recognition that comes with them being some), and I think we'll continue to do licensed games for the foreseeable future.

...and that's all I can say about that. Today, anyway. :D

Damn you Emily! :p
    edited February 2008
    It's not that there's no desire at all to do a game based on a world developed internally, but doing that comes with a new set of challenges and a decently sized shift in our immediate goals as a company. Right now we're having fun and success playing in other people's sandboxes and doing cool things with their characters and worlds. Something may percolate up of our own design some time in the future, but that time isn't right now. :)
  • edited February 2008
    I'm looking forward to that day, Jake.

> ..and that's all I can say about that. Today, anyway.

Hmmm. Would Wondercon be an appropriate time and place to make an announcement? In theory. Hypothetically etc.
    edited February 2008
    WonderCon would be an appropriate place to sell some copies of Surfin the Highway! Whooooooo!
  • edited February 2008
    How about hardcover copies of Surfin' the Highway? ;)
    edited February 2008
    One day those will exist and my life will be sweet.
  • MelMel
    edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    One day those will exist and my life will be sweet.

Well, once the hardcover is done, they'll put you in a room with a sewing machine making those plushies everyone wants.

I kid. :D
  • edited February 2008
    I've noticed a couple of possibilities of different comedy duos, and I'd like to say that you really need to move past the duo. Why not a trio? Or maybe just one guy?
  • MelMel
    edited February 2008
    I have to stop reading this thread. I sometimes wonder why I'm on the internet sometimes. I hate speculation (even if it's meant in a fun way). I'm the type of person who feels that I'll know when I'm told. It's not that I'm not curious but then if you get your expectations really high, you may be disappointed when you hear what it actually is.

There's probably some deep psychological issue I need to deal with. :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.