sam max 101exe has stopped working

edited January 2008 in Game Support
I just bought sam & max 1-6.One did work but now all of them give me this message w/option close program or search web.On vista.Tried hotfixes for nvidea too.The detail says APPCRASH. Also updated drivers.

amd athelon 1.5
1024mb ram
geforce6200a

Comments

• edited December 2007
    too add i downloaded the games through steam tried there game cache fix and also reinstalling the games
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    Hmm, not sure what would cause the game to stop working within Steam. Have you tried updating your DirectX?
  • edited December 2007
    In Control Panel, Select System...

Then under I believe Performance (I don't have a Vista box handy at the office.) there is a tab called Date Execution Protection. Add the Sam and Max Episode Executable to the exclusion list then try running it. Worked for me. I have had to do this for a few games on Vista.

Jeff
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    That's worth a try (but I think it's Data Execution Protection, or DEP). That resolved problems for some Vista users with our download versions -- the problem they were having was due to the activation software we use, so it wouldn't be a factor in Steam's versions, but it's still worth trying. Let us know if it works.
  • edited December 2007
    does any one know where this dap tab is in vistas control panel. As for updating direct x i tried and i keep getting an error message
  • edited December 2007
    i mean DEP
  • edited December 2007
    i managed to update direct x . didnt work i still cant find the dep tab in vistas control panel does anyone have any ideas
  • edited December 2007
    ok i found this dep tab i downloaded these games from steam so i cant access the actual exe file
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I'm afraid I don't know their system well enough. I would suggest you contact Steam's customer support, as it possibly a problem with their DRM.

Edit! So I just noticed that Emily forwarded your PM to me. I'm not 100% sure about (and would happily be proven wrong by other forum goers out there), but I think on Vista you can have DX10 installed even if your card doesn't support it. DX will just throttle itself down to be usable. Like I said, I'm not entirely sure about that and the internet is being largely unhelpful tonight.

Since you have already gotten DX updated according to your post, I doubt it is still a problem, but feel free to go here and see if you can get DX9 to install. It will likely tell you that a more recent version exists, but it is worth a shot. As for DEP, I'm afraid I can't help you till I get back to the office on Wednesday and have a Vista machine in front of me.
  • edited December 2007
    ive downloaded the updater several times then i restart and sometimes when i try the game , after this the game starts but after i quit the game it wont start again.Or any of the other 5 episodes either. This worked twice i not sure why but only to play one of the episodes once then none of them work. again
  • edited December 2007
    well just tried that again from your dx link it updated (all of these updates are in my windows temp)and the games dont work at all
  • edited December 2007
    Hmm, you sure it's not because you have to heavy security on in Vista?
    Sounds like something doesn't stick, when you close the game.
    Also, you should use a program like RegCleaner after each faulty install or else it leaves traces in there, that might screw up a new install.

Sometimes it helps to install games in a directory outside the Programs folder.
    Like in C:\SamAndMax\
  • edited December 2007
    thanks T A O i dont know why some of the games started then not again i have the medium security on. As for where its installed i got it from steam so it goes where they put it
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    Could you try one of the episodes from Telltale's website and let us know if it works? Then we'll know if this problem is specific to Steam's version or not.

You can download the full version of Abe Lincoln Must Die here: http://www.telltalegames.com/download/lincolnmustdie
  • edited January 2008
    Hi. I am having the same problem with the steam version of episode 4.
    I am using Windows Vista 32 bit (on a 64 bit processor). I just Fully updated Direct X while writing to test again.

"Could you try one of the episodes from Telltale's website and let us know if it works? Then we'll know if this problem is specific to Steam's version or not."

I tried this (I happened to have the installer lying around) and it worked perfectly. The version on Steam still has the same problem.

The error message now states that the problem lies in Steam.dll_unloaded, which i don't think it did before. I don't know if this changed when Direct X was installed or if installing the TT version changed it.
  • edited January 2008
    i downloaded the game from the telltale link.It works fine. What does this mean why wont any of the steam downloads work .
  • edited January 2008
    Mine works now. I changed nothing. I did nothing, save reboot my computer a few times. Steam might have had something change on it.
  • I ve the same problem with Sam & Max on steam DRM and with GoG installer since few days

It worked fine weeks ago.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2013

I ve the same problem with Sam & Max on steam DRM and with GoG installer since few days

Make sure that the display color depth is set to 32 bit.

If that's not it, please post your dxdiag info.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.
    Windows 8: At the start screen, type in "dxdiag" and hit enter

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it, and upload it to an instant filehoster and post the download link.

MegABiloU posted: »

I ve the same problem with Sam & Max on steam DRM and with GoG installer since few days It worked fine weeks ago.

• 'ill try and share if it's working.

DjNDB posted: »

I ve the same problem with Sam & Max on steam DRM and with GoG installer since few days Make sure that the display color depth is

This discussion has been closed.