Login Error

edited October 2013 in Game Support

I just bought and downloaded The Wolf Among Us, and I can't get past the title screen. When I click on the "Click Anywhere to begin" screen, it just says "Login Error Can't communicate with Telltale Servers". It doesn't even ask me to login first. I have a good internet connection and The Walking Dead works just fine.
Can anyone help?

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

That's most likely a problem with the Login data of different telltale games in the registry.

First, open a command window.
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "cmd" and press enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the Windows key. Type in "cmd" and press enter
    Windows 8: At the start screen, type in "cmd" and press enter

Then copy the command line below and paste it into the command window, press enter, and confirm the question:
    REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Launcher"

Afterwards it should ask you to login the next time you start it.

• when i put my telltale id and my password correctly it always apears the login error. HELP ME

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please try logging in using your username and password. If that fails, try using your E-Mail Address and password.
    If that doesn't work please change your password on the settings page, and only use the characters from the set A-Z a-z 0-9 in the new password. Then try logging in with username and password again.

papaqtttso posted: »

when i put my telltale id and my password correctly it always apears the login error. HELP ME

• Followed your advice. Still doesn´t work. I use Windows 8.1 (64bit). Could that be a reason?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

No, Windows 8.1 is okay.
    Which suggestions have you tried already?

Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

BlondGerman posted: »

Followed your advice. Still doesn´t work. I use Windows 8.1 (64bit). Could that be a reason?

• i'm having the same issue. here's the link http://www.sendspace.com/file/su1kpr

DjNDB posted: »

No, Windows 8.1 is okay. Which suggestions have you tried already? Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I have already replied to your other post. I checked the support tool data, and don't see anything unusual.

trevwood posted: »

i'm having the same issue. here's the link http://www.sendspace.com/file/su1kpr

• HI I also cannot log in. I've changed my password and it won't let me connect to the servers. what resolution is this game set to run in? I had to go down to 1280x720 for it to fit in the screen. heres my sendspace http://www.sendspace.com/file/krvex4

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

If nothing in this thread worked, please write an E-Mail to support@telltalegames.com. Include the E-Mail address you used for your TTG Account and full name so they can look up your account.

penguingod posted: »

HI I also cannot log in. I've changed my password and it won't let me connect to the servers. what resolution is this game set to run in? I

• exactly same issue here "login error cant communicate with telltale servers" btw i tried login with username and changed password.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/f6cdy8

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please write an E-Mail to support@telltalegames.com. Include the E-Mail address you used for your TTG Account and full name so they can look up your account.

roynut posted: »

exactly same issue here "login error cant communicate with telltale servers" btw i tried login with username and changed password. http://www.sendspace.com/file/f6cdy8

• Sam issue as the rest: I type in username and password, and get "login error can't communicate with telltale servers". I have tried changing my password.

• I seem to have the same issue with my game. I bought it yesterday, and thought it was my connection, but today gives me the same outcome.
    It wont let me log in, I've tried reinstalling, deleting files and repair, even tried deleting the launcher setting from the registry, nothing seems to work.
    I just can't log in... http://www.sendspace.com/file/2tn3h1

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please read

Before everyone keeps posting, here's a summary of what to do:

If the game doesn't ask for your username and password, but shows a Login error, delete the login data from the registry as described above.

If you get the Login error after entering your account data, please change your password on the settings page, and only use the characters from the set A-Z a-z 0-9 in the new password. Then try logging in with username and password again.

If both didn't work, it might be an issue with your TTG Account. Please write an E-Mail to support@telltalegames.com. Include the E-Mail address you used for your TTG Account and full name so they can look up your account.

• edited November 2013

I had the same problem; even after deleting the registry data it wouldn't accept my login. Then I discovered that it worked if I entered my actual username instead of my email address (I always use the email address to log in everywhere else, including the website and all previous games).

It's a very bad error message too -- what it displays is not even remotely related to the actual problem. ("Cannot connect to server" is an entirely different problem from "could connect to server but it didn't like your login info". Even worse when it does this without even asking for the info.)

I hope they fix this before the next game launches.

• Had same problem, Had to loginto website and assign a username, then delete registry entry, then login using username and password.

• Changing the password to one without special characters and logging in with username + new password solved it!
    Guys, better get that fixed ;-)

• Hi, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me how to delete the registry data? I've been trying to log in using my username and I even reset my password, but it's still not working, so deleting the registry might help?

Miral posted: »

I had the same problem; even after deleting the registry data it wouldn't accept my login. Then I discovered that it worked if I entered my a

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

The instructions are at the top in my first post. That should only be necessary if it doesn't ask for the login info at all though.

Hi, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me how to delete the registry data? I've been trying to log in using my username and I even reset my password, but it's still not working, so deleting the registry might help?

• Login Error Can't communicate with Telltale Servers (me too!!) i am changing password. but not solve it...

• I changed my password on the TellTaleGames website and that seemed to make mine work. Hope this helps. :)

• MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

If you have changed your password to only use letters and numbers, please follow the instructions posted by DjNDB in the first reply to this thread to clear out your registry Launcher folder. The next time you launch the game you should be prompted for your login information.

KimHyunTai posted: »

Login Error Can't communicate with Telltale Servers (me too!!) i am changing password. but not solve it...

• Absolute disgrace, It's now April 2014 and people such as myself are experiencing this issue.

• Indeed it is, this is really frustrating, I have tried everything, but still I cant seem to log in !

calliphora posted: »

Absolute disgrace, It's now April 2014 and people such as myself are experiencing this issue.

• I e-mailed support and they gave me a steam key - at least I can play the game. They say that they are currently investigating the problem.

But I think it is a shame that this error persists since release of the first episode and is obviously not a problem with our systems (I tried two different systems (xp and win7) and had the same result. I've also deleted the registry entrys over and over - even tried to change the rights for the entrys. I've switched username and e-mail at least 20 times. I then tried to reinstall The Walking Dead and could log in the first time I tried. I also tried to enter wrong passwords ect. and got another error message - so the message that the game could not connect to the TTG servers is plain wrong. I cannot understand how this problem can remain such a long time unfixed and obviously not being reproduced by the staff at TTG. As I said before: now using the steam key is a solution for me but as far as I understand not everybody got one and this error has to be fixed.

Iasha12 posted: »

Indeed it is, this is really frustrating, I have tried everything, but still I cant seem to log in !

• Chalk another up for this error. I bought it from GMG, and am now stuck. Hopefully they see a way to figuring out their own login servers.

• I really hope TTG will solve this problem asap. Otherwise I cannot buy another game from them directly because I don't know if I will have the same problem again or not. This is such a shame since I really love every TTG and really want to support them. I cannot understand how this error could exist over months! You just need to count the number of threads mentioning this problem and you will see that this problem concerns many people/customers. So far there has not said a word as how soon the error will be fixed or if they have found out why it appears at the first time.

• edited April 2014

I just counted the threads myself - so far I could count 24 of them. If each thread would only contain postings written by one customer that would be
    24 x 24,99$ = 599,76$ for Telltale selling a game which does not work a bit for these cuistomers. If it is highly unlikely that only one cusomer writes in one thread so we could at least double or triple the amount of (unsatisfied) customers => 3 x 24 x 24,99 = 1799,28$ and so on. Much money and many unsatisfied customers. @TTG: This is a problem you really should not underestimate and it is absolutely not understandable how this can persist for months now! You should at least give some feedback how far you are in locating that error. Giving no info let everybody of the 72 (or maybe much more) customers think that you don't care.

• Still haven't gotten a reply to the email I sent yesterday about the issue after trying everything they have said in these forums. It really is beginning to feel like they don't seem to care a whole lot about this issue since we're this far past launch for TWAU and WD2 and it looks like almost nothing has been done to solve the bigger problem :/

MarkoH01 posted: »

I just counted the threads myself - so far I could count 24 of them. If each thread would only contain postings written by one customer that

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. If you have not, I suggest contacting our Support Staff at Support@Telltalegames.com, and they will be able to assist you with this issue. If you already have contacted our Support Staff, please know they are working hard to answer every email, in the order that they are received.

• edited April 2014

Now, I am really getting tired of this, I asked for the steam key and still no reply. How can they not solve this problem, firstly you want us to buy the game and when we do, we cant play it, I have tried everything and this is really frustrating.

• Dear Moderator, i am having the same problem as anyone else here which is each time i start TWAU i log in using my Telltale username and pass but cant seem to log in. It says that :" CANT REACH SERVER " and i cant play the game at all.
    Thanks

• I have tried all of the solutions but none of them seem to work, i was really looking forward to play TWAU so much.
    I have tried the registry data solution, the new password, the combination of letters and numbers for password, and even tried using my email address and pass but still does not work ???

• edited April 2014

I'm having the same issue. I've gone through all the steps and used the TWAU Support tool. http://www.sendspace.com/file/7ksbjg

Please help.

DjNDB posted: »

I have already replied to your other post. I checked the support tool data, and don't see anything unusual.

• I just bought the game and am having the same issue....help?

• It's now been almost 5 days since I bought the game and I still cannot login to play the game... I had NO IDEA that there were these kinda problems with telltale games. Every review I watched has praised the games and not mentioned anything about this. But now after I bought TWAU and logged into the forums I see that this has been going on since last October!

This is absolutely absurd and I have just about lost interest in even playing the game now. My first email to support was answered in a little over 12 hours. I thought, "ok this isn't so bad. I understand they have a lot of emails to go through." They asked me to try all of the "fixes" already mentioned in the forums which I had already done and listed in my initial email... And they said that they would provide me with a steam key if I would like one. First off, why wouldn't they just automatically provide all of us with a steam key and not have to have their own drm!? Secondly, it's really frustrating that I feel like they don't even read my email and just reply with some copy and paste answer after I already told them I tried all of the fixes and listed each one out in detail. I even attached screenshots for them.

It's now been almost 48 hours since my last email and I still have yet to either find a solution or receive a response. Anyone that owns a business knows that customer service should be TOP PRIORITY. And for something that has been going on for months!? It's just crazy. And it's even more frustrating when the mods on here are just telling you to email support and they will take care of the problem. I believe that they are hard at work answering emails, but if it takes longer than 12 hours to answer an email then you need to add more support on the team until this issue is fixed.

Lastly, I'm sure that no one at telltale will actually see this, but guys this is why people get frustrated with the ridiculous drm that we have to go through to play a game that we paid for. This is why people choose other options to bypass drm and pirate your games. Look $25 is not much for a game and I am more than happy to pay for what I hear is an amazing game, but I beg you to stop doing this to your fans and causing more and more to say "forget this, I'll just pirate the game and not have to worry about drm."

I apologize for the rant, but please listen to your customers and help us out.

Thanks

• edited April 2014

I think you are absolutely right. This example shows how bad DRM is and why companys should not use it. All the pirates are playing the game and the paying customer cannot - something is wrong here! I also do not understand why TTG does not keep us informed about thi smistake and how far they are to solve this issue. Just taklk to your customers TTG and don't let they become pirates. Tell them when to expect a solution and what do you think th eproblem is (my personal tip: compare the login routines for TWD and TWAU since the login to TWD works without a problem). You really should take this seriously or else - reputation for good games or not - you will lose a lot of customers.

And here is something I found - even the media dones not like the way telltale handles this pr other problems
    http://www.videogamer.com/pc/the_walking_dead_season_two/news/the_walking_dead_season_2_pc_users_report_problems_with_telltale_drm.html

Wake up TTG - a good reputation is gone very quick if you don't set your prioritys correct!

I also second the wish to give out steam-keys automatically to minimize support mails and maximize keeping cutomers. What do you have to lose? The customers already paid you - you can check this. I remember when TWD episode 1 was delayed because of server problems everybody got a steam key to keep them happy - what has changed?

I tell you the truth: I am very unsure to buy another TTG because I don't want to have the same problems again.
    BTW: Every now and then I try to login in my TTG TWAU game (about 30 or so times) without any success.

joshdsalley posted: »

It's now been almost 5 days since I bought the game and I still cannot login to play the game... I had NO IDEA that there were these kinda

• I'm in the same boat. I've tried all of the posted fixes and still can't play the game. This wouldn't be happening if they just gave you a Steam Key upon purchase. DRM is meant for keeping freeloaders out. It shouldn't keep out paying customers.

• i have the same problem....TTG pls do something!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.