Walking Dead does not run

edited October 2013 in Game Support

Hi I played the game for like 5 hours and some minutes ago i wanted to start the game... the game openes says:"click to continue" i click the it´s connecting, and i cant get to the menu like it just stopped , I can hear the sound ... some birds but I cant get to the menu cant do anything.
I uninstalled it three times still same problem.

Can somebody help me?

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2013

There appears to be some server problem.
    It should work after letting it sit for a few minutes.
    If you don't want to wait, please try disconnecting from the internet before starting the game.

• Yeah it worked thank you!

• I have the same problem.

If I leave the loading screen for several minutes I eventually get to the main menu. However, the saved games are not available and I have to start every chapter from the scratch. Could you please fix the server problem or find a workaround for the game? The game crashes if you try to start it without internet connection instead. Not even an error message is thrown. This seems to be a quite poor design...

DjNDB posted: »

There appears to be some server problem. It should work after letting it sit for a few minutes. If you don't want to wait, please try disconnecting from the internet before starting the game.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I have notified TTG about the connection issue as soon as it came up, so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

The crash and savegame issue are something else though and should be examined further.
    Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

DirtyFeet posted: »

I have the same problem. If I leave the loading screen for several minutes I eventually get to the main menu. However, the saved games are

• The PC file is posted here:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/2vm48a
    However, I ran it (until it stated that it finished the process) and my savegames are not recovered. The connection issue is fixed though. What to do next to recover the savegames?

I have notified TTG about the connection issue as soon as it came up, so hopefully it will be fixed soon. The crash and savegame issue are

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I don't see anything unusual about the save files.

The installation looks unfamiliar to me though. Where did you buy the game and is it a disc or download version?

If you .zip and upload your prefs.prop and *.save files i can take a look at them.
    Please upload it as a single .zip file to an instant filehoster and post the download link.

The PC file is posted here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/2vm48a However, I ran it (until it stated that it finished the process) and my savegames are not recovered. The connection issue is fixed though. What to do next to recover the savegames?

• im playing walking dead on iphone 5 ios 7 its not working after i buy eposoid 2

There appears to be some server problem. It should work after letting it sit for a few minutes. If you don't want to wait, please try disconnecting from the internet before starting the game.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Sadly i don't know much about iOS, so i can't help. I suggest you write an E-mail to support@telltalegames.com.

bdr_qlf posted: »

im playing walking dead on iphone 5 ios 7 its not working after i buy eposoid 2

• Thanks, I uploaded the files here:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/b3dm1l

I don't see anything unusual about the save files. The installation looks unfamiliar to me though. Where did you buy the game and is it a d

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2013

It shows me 3 save slots.
    1. Episode 1
    2. Episode 3
    3. Episode 3
    If that's what you had, than at least your progress is not lost.

I don't know why they would not show up in your game though. Do you run the game in compatibility mode or any other settings?

Thanks, I uploaded the files here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/b3dm1l

• Well, I paid for the episodes pack for The Walking Dead, and have a receipt to prove it. I downloaded the extra episodes and installed them. But they don't run, no matter what I do. Phone support went through the trouble-shooting routines that I had already tried. No luck. Worse, the icon has disappeared and on downloading another from the cloud I only get the original come-on, inviting me to cough up for episodes 2 - 5! Now I would like a refund but I don't know where to apply. Apple support either does not know or does not want to tell me where to apply. (I was using the latest iPad with the most recent system update (23 Oct 2013). Can anyone please help?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I wish I could help, but I know next to nothing about iOS.

Alastair39 posted: »

Well, I paid for the episodes pack for The Walking Dead, and have a receipt to prove it. I downloaded the extra episodes and installed them. B

• I'm having a similar problem to the fella in the orginial post except I can't get the game to start at all. After the logo screen I get the Walking Dead click to continue screen. I click on it and nothing happens. Like the orginial post I can hear the flies buzzing about, but the program just sits there.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

If you have not run it before, the game silently downloads about 40MB of updates at the beginning, which can take a few minutes.

If it doesn't resolve that way, please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

badhorse posted: »

I'm having a similar problem to the fella in the orginial post except I can't get the game to start at all. After the logo screen I get the Wa

• I'm afraid that isn't working either. The file downloaded and unzips. But when I click on the batch file I get a message asking me to unzip the entire archive before running the batch file. I assume I downloaded everything when I clicked on the support tool. The files in the folder are 7za, 7-zip, license, readme and TWD_create_support)_data.

If you have not run it before, the game silently downloads about 40MB of updates at the beginning, which can take a few minutes. If it does

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

That sounds like during unzipping it didn't keep the original folder structure. Normally it does that. What did you unzip it with?

Either way, all files except the TWD_create_support_data.bat are normally in a subfolder named "7z". It should be enough to create that folder and move the 7za.exe there.

\TWD_create_support_data.bat
    \7z\7-zip.chm
    \7z\7za.exe
    \7z\license.txt
    \7z\readme.txt

I'm afraid that isn't working either. The file downloaded and unzips. But when I click on the batch file I get a message asking me to unzip th

• DjNDB posted: »

That sounds like during unzipping it didn't keep the original folder structure. Normally it does that. What did you unzip it with? Either w

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I don't see anything unusual in the data. What happens if you press Alt-Enter to put the game into windowed mode while you only hear the sound?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dw8fj7 Hope this is it.

• Okay, just tried that. No change. I can hear the sound the nothing happens.

I don't see anything unusual in the data. What happens if you press Alt-Enter to put the game into windowed mode while you only hear the sound?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Does it just keep showing "click to continue" after you click?

Maybe we should just try some things.

Please delete the savegame folder:
    C:\Users\badhorse1\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
    Driver Date/Size: 4/20/2011 02:07:48, 795648 bytes

Please also try installing the latest graphics driver (not the beta)

Okay, just tried that. No change. I can hear the sound the nothing happens.

• [removed]

• I left a reply here yesterday, or at least I thought I did. In any case I did as requested, no change. This is getting rather frustrating. It's been a few days now and I haven't even gotten to the menu yet. I know you are trying and I appreciate your help.

Does it just keep showing "click to continue" after you click? Maybe we should just try some things. Please delete the savegame folder:

• Me too. Exactly the same problem. I was able to play a little bit the other day, but that's it.

I hope someone is reading these posts.

I'm having a similar problem to the fella in the orginial post except I can't get the game to start at all. After the logo screen I get the Wa

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Let's try something else to rule out a bunch of things.

Please create a new windows user account (with administrator privileges) and test if the game starts there.

I left a reply here yesterday, or at least I thought I did. In any case I did as requested, no change. This is getting rather frustrating. It'

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

timlabor posted: »

Me too. Exactly the same problem. I was able to play a little bit the other day, but that's it. I hope someone is reading these posts.

• this is the second time I've left a comment and the next day it wasn't there.
    The new user account did the same thing.

Let's try something else to rule out a bunch of things. Please create a new windows user account (with administrator privileges) and test if the game starts there.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I've heard about that before. Has to be a forum bug.

Okay, then that's a weird issue and we should try something different.
    Please uninstall, redownload and reinstall the game and test it.
    Then please unplug all non-essential USB devices before starting the game again. If that also fails, please start the system into a clean boot and try starting the game.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. If running the game on Steam, re-check the "Steam Client Service"
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your settings by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

this is the second time I've left a comment and the next day it wasn't there. The new user account did the same thing.

• It's working. After I left the prior message, I just went on about my buisness for awhile. Thought I would try one more time before shuting down the computer and the darn thing works. I am glad I didn't have to attempt your last instructions, they look kinda icky. In any case, don't know what you did or how you did it, but I made it to the game. One question, is their a Save Game key or just the auto save?
    Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

I've heard about that before. Has to be a forum bug. Okay, then that's a weird issue and we should try something different. Please uninsta

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

The game saves automatically at certain points. There is no manual saving.

It's working. After I left the prior message, I just went on about my buisness for awhile. Thought I would try one more time before shuting do

• edited November 2013

If you have not run it before, the game silently downloads about 40MB of updates at the beginning, which can take a few minutes.

THANK YOU! This helped solve my issue.

I was so confused and kept restarting the game because I thought it had stalled.
    I waited and after a little while it started right up. So glad I came here to look for help.
    Even better, I saw this post and didn't have to make the thread I was about to.

If you have not run it before, the game silently downloads about 40MB of updates at the beginning, which can take a few minutes. If it does

• after it asked me to login inside the game all I saw was the logo and thats it..any1 know what the problem is and how can I fix it?

• On my OS 10.9 the game just crashes and then the OS asked me to put the game into the trash. What is up? Any help?

• Same here..... I have attempted to use the mac support tool and also I have uninstalled and installed... nothing ...
    is Mavericks compatible?

Polydactyl posted: »

On my OS 10.9 the game just crashes and then the OS asked me to put the game into the trash. What is up? Any help?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    AppleWorm posted: »

Same here..... I have attempted to use the mac support tool and also I have uninstalled and installed... nothing ... is Mavericks compatible?

• After going through the first free episode, I purchased the entire remaining episodes on my ipad mini. From that point on, I can't open the game anymore. I did all the usual resets and reinstalls but still nothing. From the comments here, they don't support ipad, iPhone or the like. Extremely frustrating as I like the game. I immediately sent iTunes an email and they refunded my money right there. Thank goodness for that. There seems to be MANY similar issues with downloading the other episodes and then the game doesn't work. Telltale should pull the game if it doesn't work. That's all I have to say. Save your money until they fix it

• Hi Support Team,

after I startet episode 2 the game crashed to desktop. Now it wont start any more. I googled the problem and it seem as if many people have this problem. I already tryed to reinstall, to check the cache over steam, to launch it as admin. Nothing worked.

i also used the TWD support tool... here's the link:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/903vo3

hope u can help me!

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Problemsignatur:
    P1: WalkingDead101.exe
    P4: DINPUT8.dll

Unplugging your gamepad should help. It's a Windows 8 bug that's fixed in Windows 8.1, available for free in the Windows 8 Store.
    If you don't want to upgrade yet, you can try an unofficial workaround. In short, by downloading and extracting this zip file, and copying the dinput8.dll next to the WalkingDead101.exe, you should be able to use the controller normally. Make sure you delete that dinput8.dll after updating to Windows 8.1, to avoid possible problems in the future.

Annti posted: »

Hi Support Team, after I startet episode 2 the game crashed to desktop. Now it wont start any more. I googled the problem and it seem as if

• I also have a similar problem with trying to play the game.Every time I try to continue my game and click play for episode 2 all it does is bring me to a black screen with only my mouse.All I can do is move it around and that's it.

I've also used the TWD support tool: http://www.sendspace.com/file/75dcrz

I've tried fixing it myself before which could have messed up some of the files.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

DB201 posted: »

I also have a similar problem with trying to play the game.Every time I try to continue my game and click play for episode 2 all it does is br

• That seems to have fixed it. Thank you for your help.

Please rename the prefs.prop in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

This discussion has been closed.