TWD Season 2 Blur

edited December 2013 in Game Support

While playing game I experience blurriness over characters during the episode and sometimes not. It got especially worse during the dialogue with Luke at the table. I replayed the episode with all settings to minimum and it still was there and even worse. This has happened on two of my computers with both AMD and Nvidia graphics cards with all the drivers updated.

Alt text

Alt text

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please post a screenshot of that for both computers and the respective support tool information.

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/jy8pQBpLHS4GibubjzFu0uDNUSmHf57z screenshot #1 is from AMD graphics card along the the support data the second screenshot was taken from the second computer but i am unable to access the tool because problems with the Ethernet cord on both computers i had steam check for corrupted data but it didn't find anything

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2013

Oh, that's extremely blurry. I'll embed the images, so other's know what this thread is about right away.
    I've seen blur in the game, but it looked properly in the form of Depth of field effects. Maybe that's what's failing here.

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
    Dedicated Memory: 252 MB

The AMD card is rather old, and doesn't meet the minimum requirements in terms of graphics memory. That could also be problematic.

The graphics card info of the second computer would be really useful. You can also get it by running dxdiag from the start menu.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.
    Windows 8: At the start screen, type in "dxdiag" and hit enter

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it, and upload it to an instant filehoster and post the download link.

Spartan1175 posted: »

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/jy8pQBpLHS4GibubjzFu0uDNUSmHf57z screenshot #1 is from AMD graphics card along the the support data the se

• http://pastebin.com/2fFNquW9 Ok here is the data for the second computer. I think it too doesn't have enough dedicated memory but I'm not sure

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Dedicated Memory: 489 MB

It's indeed a bit low, but much closer to the minimum requirement.

There are a few things you can try.

Please verify the game cache files.

You should also install the latest graphics drivers:
    AMD Drivers
    Nvidia Drivers

Then open the Catalyst Control Center/Nvidia Control Panel on the respective computers and restore the 3d settings to the default settings.

Spartan1175 posted: »

http://pastebin.com/2fFNquW9 Ok here is the data for the second computer. I think it too doesn't have enough dedicated memory but I'm not sure

• Thank you very much for your help the nvidia chip computer is working much better but the AMD chip is much too old for help your assistance is much appreciated

• edited February 2014

I'm glad to see others with this issue. I'm also experiencing similar depth drawing issues with season 2. This was not an issue during season 1 with the same computer, if that helps at all!

I have purchased the game through Steam and have run the integrity game cache verification, which shows a 100% verification result.
    Also did I re-install the laptop completely with the latest drivers, which helped with overall performance but this issue remained. Default 3D settings and increased/lowered settings don't seem to improve this issue.

So to start, here are some images with how the drawing issue occurs on my system.

Alt text
    Alt text

Certain blur effects are fine, which hints me that its specifically a depth issue.
    Alt text

My laptop meets the minimum requirements, so I wouldn't expect this to be an old card issue...right? I have ran the TWD support tool and uploaded my results: Support Tool Results (Sony VAIO VGN-FW31ZJ).

I assume the important information starts with:

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Display Memory: 2281 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 506 MB
    Shared Memory: 1775 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I'm not a critical gamer and this issue doesn't ruin the overall game experience for me, however I do believe this issue could be resolved with some tweaks and/or an update/patch.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Not sure if it helps, but this issue does not seem to occur for The Wolf Among Us either.

Hopefully someone has some feedback on this issue before the next episode comes out!

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

It may be an issue with the graphics card, as your dedicated memory is just under the recommended graphics requirements. (506mb compared to our recommended 512mb.) You may be able to resolve the issue by changing the resolution to a lower setting, or making sure your graphics card's drivers are updated to the latest version. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this.

MDCNK posted: »

Not sure if it helps, but this issue does not seem to occur for The Wolf Among Us either. Hopefully someone has some feedback on this issue before the next episode comes out!

• It has to be the few MB shortage I guess, no worries. The strange thing is that it actually gets worse when I lower the resolution. Normally I run it at 720p, I gave it a go at 1024x600 and it actually got worse, similar to the OP screenshots. Then I tried it at 1080p which gave the same results as my posted screenshots, so there must not be enough dedicated memory...bummer!

Thanks for your response Mike.

It may be an issue with the graphics card, as your dedicated memory is just under the recommended graphics requirements. (506mb compared to ou

• just copy a d3dx9.dll from another game to the TWD2 folder. It's not perfect, but the blur is gone.

This discussion has been closed.