TWD:Game won't start

edited January 2014 in Game Support

I purchased the Walking Dead earlier today and I have been having issues starting the game. Whenever I launch it, the game starts to load but closes within a few seconds and "TheWalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" appears. I purchased the game through Steam, if that matters. I also ran the TWD support tool, the results are here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/mihp5o

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

The game crashes because steam is running in vista compatibility mode.

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode and "run as admin" settings.
    Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
    Afterwards try if the game works.

If the method mentioned above didn't work, you can try disabling it in the registry. Then restart the computer and try running the game again.

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB

There's a chance the game will still crash afterwards, because your integrated graphics chip doesn't meet the minimum requirements.
    Intel graphics chips are not recommended and they don't work well with TTG's games.

Should it still crash please run the support tool again, so i can see if it's the graphics or another issue.

• Hi there,

I am sure if I spent hours reading the multitudes of post in various threads regarding this problem I may see a solution but I haven't the time or patience.

Basically I have bought The Walking Dead game for pc (nothing to do with steam). I am running Windows Vista. The game does not work. d3dx9.41.dll file is apprently the issue. I have checked my Direct x version is 11 and im pretty sure this game sould be functional on a laptop nowhere near as good as the one im using. So wtf is wrong with this game? Have you guys thought about a downloadable patch to fix this amateur problem or is it a case of product recall since the game doesnt work?

Kind Regards,

Mick.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Normally the game asks you to update directX, but if that failed for any reason, you can get that error message. DirectX is modular, and having DirectX 11 doesn't mean you have the earlier version the game uses.
    Please run the DirectX updater to get the missing files.

michyfagan posted: »

Hi there, I am sure if I spent hours reading the multitudes of post in various threads regarding this problem I may see a solution but I ha

• thanks DjNDB, rapid response & it's sorted the problem out :)

• edited January 2014

Thanks, disabling it in the registry fixed it for me. I changed steam to run in a different compatibility mode before I posted this thread.

DjNDB posted: »

The game crashes because steam is running in vista compatibility mode. Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, and the games .exe fil

• I'm an amateur, please tell me where to change compatability mode??

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2014

Please right-click the game's executable, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and then check the options to run in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME. Also check the option to disable desktop composition.

SamStone posted: »

I'm an amateur, please tell me where to change compatability mode??

• hi guys,

sorry was a little premateur with response, I can access the game now but there is only a black screen with the option buttons, no graphics seem to be working. Also the mouse cursor is invisible so whilst I can hit the option buttons the only way to do it is by guessing where the mouse is at.

Cheers,

Mick.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

That can have many reasons.

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

michyfagan posted: »

hi guys, sorry was a little premateur with response, I can access the game now but there is only a black screen with the option buttons, no

• edited January 2014

Im having similar issues, game crashes on start up. Pretty certain my computer meets the requirements and it said I have the correct direct x version.
    Ran the TWD tool - http://www.sendspace.com/file/6dptom

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2014

Problem signature:
    P1: WalkingDead101.exe
    P2: 2012.4.23.11302
    P3: 4f95f664
    P4: WalkingDead101.exe
    P5: 2012.4.23.11302
    P6: 4f95f664
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 0017a090

Does it crash directly after the "click to continue" screen?
    What's the exact Model specifier of your notebook?

Please try if the game works if you disconnect from the internet. Make sure all Network adapters are disabled.

andrewnank posted: »

Im having similar issues, game crashes on start up. Pretty certain my computer meets the requirements and it said I have the correct direct x version. Ran the TWD tool - http://www.sendspace.com/file/6dptom

• Ok, I tried disabling the networks and same result.
    I havnt seen the 'click to continue' screen at all.
    Model number is Satellite Pro L500 PSLSAA-00L00U

DjNDB posted: »

Problem signature: P1: WalkingDead101.exe P2: 2012.4.23.11302 P3: 4f95f664 P4: WalkingDead101.exe P5: 2012.4.23.11302 P6: 4f

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I am not sure what causes it, but we can try some things.

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5165
    Driver Date/Size: 9/9/2009 19:30:08, 4631040 bytes

Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Date and Size: 10/22/2009 18:27:58, 2013856 bytes

Please try updating to the latest graphics driver and sound driver.

andrewnank posted: »

Ok, I tried disabling the networks and same result. I havnt seen the 'click to continue' screen at all. Model number is Satellite Pro L500 PSLSAA-00L00U

• Hello, I seem to be having the same problem. TWD crashes on start. I am using pc not steam.
    I followed the directions on the TWD support tool. Please help.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/zaupkw

Please right-click the game's executable, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and then check the options to run in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME. Also check the option to disable desktop composition.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

On Windows 8 the game crashes if joysticks/gamepads are connected. That bug is fixed in Windows 8.1, available for free in the Windows 8 Store.
    If you don't want to upgrade yet, you can try an unofficial workaround. In short, by downloading and extracting this zip file, and copying the dinput8.dll next to the games .exe, you should be able to use the controller normally. Make sure you delete that dinput8.dll after updating to Windows 8.1, to avoid possible problems in the future.

CoachTabor posted: »

Hello, I seem to be having the same problem. TWD crashes on start. I am using pc not steam. I followed the directions on the TWD support tool. Please help. http://www.sendspace.com/file/zaupkw

• Thanks a lot, that did the trick.

• I have this game on my PC, I just downloaded episode 5 and now my games won't work. I have DirectX 11 on my PC but it doesn't seem to be the problem. Not to mention when I could still somewhat get on my game the Updating Content took forever and still never finished updating. Please help! I don't know what to do!

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

Skysinger70 posted: »

I have this game on my PC, I just downloaded episode 5 and now my games won't work. I have DirectX 11 on my PC but it doesn't seem to be the

• Hi there, I am having the same problem where I can't get past first screen into the main menu and then the game crashes back to the desktop. Just bought it yesterday and had already played nearly 2 hours with no issue until this started happening. Any help would be appreciated, I've already reinstalled the game and rebooted my computer. https://www.sendspace.com/file/96la5m

After looking over your Support Tool information, it seems that your computer is running below the minimum system requirements to run the game successfully. Where we require a minimum of 512mb of dedicated memory, your computer is currently running at 0mb of dedicated memory. Your computer uses an integrated Intel graphics card, which we do not recommend using for our game, as they tend to run under minimum specs. I recommend either trying to update your current graphics card's drivers to the latest version, and see if you are able to play, or try playing the game on a computer above minimum system requirements if you have the ability to.

Fi-115 posted: »

Hi there, I am having the same problem where I can't get past first screen into the main menu and then the game crashes back to the desktop.

• I don't understand how that information is accurate. This computer is less than 6 months old and my graphics card is an Nvidia GT 755m with 4 GB of total graphics memory, and I have 8 GB of RAM if that even matters... I also updated my graphics card drivers this past week so I don't see why that would be the problem. Also I was playing the game with settings on high after downloading off of Steam and everything was running smoothly until last night when the crashing began. I just ran the tool one more time in case there was some type of error before: https://www.sendspace.com/file/a5xrpn

Thanks for the quick response, I'd really like to get back to playing this awesome game.

After looking over your Support Tool information, it seems that your computer is running below the minimum system requirements to run the ga

My apologies. Unfortunately only a Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 graphics card is showing up in your support tool information. If you have a better on-board graphics card, you may need to enable it while playing our game. You can find out how to enable your better graphics card by following the steps in This Article.

I don't understand how that information is accurate. This computer is less than 6 months old and my graphics card is an Nvidia GT 755m with

• Well I attempted to follow the directions in the article, and tried both setting the preferred graphics processor on high performance for just the game application and later again for the global settings, and neither worked even after a reboot. Still crashing as soon as I click to get into the menu screen. With the global settings on high performance, here's one more run through of the tool, I hope it sheds some light on my issue: https://www.sendspace.com/file/33wf7j

My apologies. Unfortunately only a Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 graphics card is showing up in your support tool information. If you have a bet

My apologies. Unfortunately your Nvidia GT 755m does not seem to be showing up at all on your computer's dxdiag. I recommend looking over This Webpage for more information regarding your particular issue.

Well I attempted to follow the directions in the article, and tried both setting the preferred graphics processor on high performance for ju

• I'm really at a loss. I've tried everything, even going into the BIOS setup and changing the only option for the graphics display to be "UMA Only" rather than "Discrete", which seems to be the same thing as changing the global settings in the Nvidia control panel. Still crashes on the main menu. It's true that dxdiag isn't showing the GT 755m for some reason, but what I don't understand is how I can play other fairly new games on high settings that certainly aren't any more demanding than the Walking Dead Season 2. Battlefield 3, Counter Strike Global Offensive, Dota 2 to name a few, all with no issues. It also doesn't make any sense that I was able to play the game originally for 2 hours and then it just stopped working, and I hadn't made any changes to my system. I guess if all else fails I'd like to try and get a refund but I doubt I'll be able to get that and really I'd just rather play the game. Thanks for trying to help but I'm afraid I'm out of options.

My apologies. Unfortunately your Nvidia GT 755m does not seem to be showing up at all on your computer's dxdiag. I recommend looking over This Webpage for more information regarding your particular issue.

I apologize I could not be of more assistance. I recommend contacting Steam Support for further assistance, or any inquiries regarding a refund, or refund request.

I'm really at a loss. I've tried everything, even going into the BIOS setup and changing the only option for the graphics display to be "UM

• Hey, I'm having the same problem as these guys, I select the walking dead in my steam library, the tab opens. The BOOM!!! 'thewalkingdead101.exe has stopped working'. Please help I've been trying the fix this for ages.
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/5mkdsp

I apologize for the inconvenience. Below are a few possible solutions:

1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card

2) Unplug your gamepad (and all other USB devices other than keyboard/mouse) and plug in headphones to the audio out jack.

3) Verify your cache if you purchased through Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

4) Run the game in compatibility mode (right click on game’s icon, click properties, click compatibility tab , and we recommend running the game in Windows 98/ME ) (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

5) Reinstall the game

6) Make sure that the Steam application is not set to a compatibility mode (right click on steam and click properties, then check compatibility, and make sure that it is not checked to play in a different OS)

7) Disable Steam Overlay, if you purchased through Steam (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3168263)

8) Opt out of the Steam Beta, if you purchased through Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828934424165581080/)

001stick posted: »

Hey, I'm having the same problem as these guys, I select the walking dead in my steam library, the tab opens. The BOOM!!! 'thewalkingdead101

• Hey none of these solutions seemed to do any good in fixing my problem, anything else I might try?

• Hey
    On TWD when I put in my telltale account it just shows the screen with walking dead on it and does not open the game. I got the game from a pendrive.

• Thanks for the tips but none of the above seem the have fixed the problem that I am having. Any other ideas?

I apologize for the inconvenience. Below are a few possible solutions: 1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card 2)

Please make sure that you have disabled any anti-virus and internet firewall programs open and running that may be blocking the game from successfully communicating with our servers. Then start the game again, and see if you are able to successfully start.

Hey On TWD when I put in my telltale account it just shows the screen with walking dead on it and does not open the game. I got the game from a pendrive.

My apologies, unfortunately I cannot seem to find the root cause of your issue. I recommend switching the game out of any Compatibility Modes, then uninstalling it by right-clicking the game in your Steam Library, and clicking 'Delete Local Content'. Then reinstall the game using the install button in Steam, and see if you are then able to play. If you still experience any issues starting the game, I recommend looking over these other suggestions in This Steam Support Page.

001stick posted: »

Thanks for the tips but none of the above seem the have fixed the problem that I am having. Any other ideas?

• I have an anti virus program is it a problem?

If you have an anti-virus program currently installed and running on your computer, does disabling it, then starting The Walking Dead again, allow you to reach the Main Menu successfully?

I have an anti virus program is it a problem?

• edited March 2015

I ordered Game Of Thrones off Telltale, downloaded, and when i launch the game it asks me to log in with my telltale account but it won't allow me to log in, even though my log in information is correct.

confused!!

My apologies, if you are experiencing difficulties logging into your Telltale Account, please try restarting the game. Then after you have finished entering in your email address and password, instead of clicking 'Sign In', try pressing the Enter/Return Key on your keyboard, and see if you are then able to log in successfully, and play the game.

Cloudhound posted: »

I ordered Game Of Thrones off Telltale, downloaded, and when i launch the game it asks me to log in with my telltale account but it won't allow me to log in, even though my log in information is correct. confused!!

• edited March 2015

fixed it

• edited March 2015

fixed it

• that worked! how silly. thank you!!

My apologies, if you are experiencing difficulties logging into your Telltale Account, please try restarting the game. Then after you have f

This discussion has been closed.