Walking Dead: Game ruining bug (Choices not carrying over, Episode 4 -> Episode 5)

Hello, I've recently been enjoying The Walking Dead game and I just finished the fourth episode. However, there's a major problem. When I complete episode 4, it shows me that Kenny, Omid, and Christina will come with me. Everything is going as planned. It even shows me those three in the final stat screen. When I start episode 5, on the "previously" video, it shows everything correctly except when it shows Kenny choosing to come with you or not, he says "Why the hell you looking over here?" and has a red eye and cut on his face. When the episode starts, he's gone. Only Christina and Omid are with me. I've been on his good side the whole time, didn't fight him on the train, and additionally the game outright said he's coming with me. This is clearly a bug and I seriously need a fix. I'm playing the full version with all five parts bundled as one on Steam. I've verified my cache, but I haven't re-installed. I've also tried rewinding back to the latest point and choosing a few different dialogue choices. Still bugged. I tried rewinding back to the point just before, where you're talking to Vernon. Still bugged. I'm gravely upset about this and I would like to finish the series properly. It wouldn't be right to lose Kenny to a glitch that shouldn't happen. Thanks for helping in advance, and please no spoilers for episode 5.

Here's a picture proving the game said Kenny was coming.

http://imgur.com/BcGsbkg

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_pc.zip" or "support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.
  • edited June 2013
    I've got the same problem. Kenny, Ben, Christa and Omid were said they were gonna join up but as I load episode 5, I see that only Ben is going with me. I've attached the support_data_pc.zip for you guys to look at.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2013
    mp3ksc wrote: »
    I've got the same problem. Kenny, Ben, Christa and Omid were said they were gonna join up but as I load episode 5, I see that only Ben is going with me. I've attached the support_data_pc.zip for you guys to look at.

Please try renaming the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\Sam Chan\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it

then move the prefs.prop from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104
    to
    C:\Users\Sam Chan\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
  • edited June 2013
    worked perfectly thanks!
  • edited July 2013
    Hello. I have the same issue. I am playing through Steam on Mac OSX (snow leopard). In my save, all 4 decide to go with Lee, but when I start episode 5, only Kenny is with me and is angry when he discovers the bite (which I had not concealed).

Attached is the necessary file. Thank you, this is an amazing game, I am eager to get back to it.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Hello. I have the same issue. I am playing through Steam on Mac OSX (snow leopard). In my save, all 4 decide to go with Lee, but when I start episode 5, only Kenny is with me and is angry when he discovers the bite (which I had not concealed).

Attached is the necessary file. Thank you, this is an amazing game, I am eager to get back to it.

please rename the prefs.prop in
    /Users/lalovergel/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/
    to prefs.prop.orig to deactivate it

Then move the prefs.prop from
    /Users/lalovergel/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead104/
    to
  • edited July 2013
    I recently completed episode 4 with Christa, Omid and Kenny coming with me, upon starting episode 5 I found that Ben and Kenny were with me. And i can only rewind episode 4 to chapter 2.

I am including the Support Data.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it

then move the prefs.prop from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104
    to
    C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    and check if that fixes it.
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks that fixed it.
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks!
  • edited July 2013
    Hello, I'm having a lot of the same problems as listed above on my mac. Here are my support files.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Scroon wrote: »
    Hello, I'm having a lot of the same problems as listed above on my mac. Here are my support files.

-rw-r--r-- 1 Nate staff 58K Jul 30 13:33 prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 Nate staff 58K Jul 30 13:14 prefs.prop.bak
    -rw-r--r-- 1 Nate staff 54K Jul 29 18:44 prefs.prop.orig
    -rw-r--r-- 1 Nate staff 54K Jul 29 18:44 prefs.prop.orig.1375141460

I see you already tried running one of my scripts to change prefs.prop files.
    Currently the 58k prefs.prop is active. Since you don't seem the get a good result with that, i suggest you try using the 54k prefs.prop.

In other words, please remove the prefs.prop from
    /Users/Nate/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead

and then rename prefs.prop.orig to prefs.prop and check if it helps.
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks, it worked! Also, thanks for being so active on the forums. I really appreciated the quick reply.
  • edited September 2013

Hello,

i have the same problem with episode 5 like lalo_vergel, all 4 companions decided to go with me on the end of episode 4 but only Kenny was left when I started episode 5. So I did the same steps like lalo_vergel:

to prefs.prop.orig to deactivate it

/Users/lalovergel/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead104/
    to

But now my savegame is stuck in episode 3 and it freezes when i want so start it.

Here is the support_data_mac:

http://wikisend.com/download/965664/support_data_mac.zip

Please help!

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

But now my savegame is stuck in episode 3 and it freezes when i want so start it.

-rw-r--r--  1 michaelsielski  staff    37K 19 Sep 05:38 /Users/michaelsielski/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop

This should be the problem.
    Please run this script to keep the prefs.prop in the savegame folder, and deactivate the one in the steam folder

MichaPL posted: »

Hello, i have the same problem with episode 5 like lalo_vergel, all 4 companions decided to go with me on the end of episode 4 but only Ken

• edited September 2013

It worked, thank you!

DjNDB posted: »

But now my savegame is stuck in episode 3 and it freezes when i want so start it. -rw-r--r-- 1 michaelsielski staff 37K 19 Sep 05

• Hi,
    I am having a similar problem. When I finish Episode 4 Kenny, Omid and Christa are all with me. When I start Episode 5 I am on my own!
    Here is the link to the data file

Loving the game and hoped to complete tonight but this problem has foiled my plan! Please help!

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Hi, I am having a similar problem. When I finish Episode 4 Kenny, Omid and Christa are all with me. When I start Episode 5 I am on my own! Here is the link to the data file

Try this:
    go to
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead105
    and
    C:\Users\Lambchop\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    and rename each prefs.prop to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

to
    C:\Users\Lambchop\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

Lambchop posted: »

Hi, I am having a similar problem. When I finish Episode 4 Kenny, Omid and Christa are all with me. When I start Episode 5 I am on my own!

• It worked!
    Thank you so much!

Hi, I am having a similar problem. When I finish Episode 4 Kenny, Omid and Christa are all with me. When I start Episode 5 I am on my own! Her

• Same issue on my PC: Kenny, Christa and Omid said they were gonna join up and the last choice I made was "what do you want with me" but as I load episode 5, I see that only Kenny is going with me and that I chose to say nothing "...". I've attached the support_data_pc.zip for you guys to look at.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pgyfjl

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2013

@jrellama

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

to
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

jrellama posted: »

Same issue on my PC: Kenny, Christa and Omid said they were gonna join up and the last choice I made was "what do you want with me" but as I l

• Thanks a lot all fixed!

will this solution work in almost all cases decisions dont carry over?

@jrellama Please rename the prefs.prop in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\ to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

This should work in most cases, if you haven't continued playing after the problem occurred. There are different situations though, which mainly differ in which prefs.prop you have to keep.

jrellama posted: »

Thanks a lot all fixed! will this solution work in almost all cases decisions dont carry over?

• edited December 2013

Hi, I seem to be having a similar problem, except for me, no matter who I choose, I end up going alone. I have the stats of Chapter 4 fully available, but instead of giving me the option to replay the chapter, it tells me to 'continue' it. I'll try and upload a screenshot if I can, but for now here's the .zip file for the error report.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/if2flv

EDIT: Since I last tested, it's changed. I can't check my stats from Chapter 4, and when I go to 'rewind', I can only start from Chapter 5: Battery. I can't continue, it only gives me the option to play.

I'll go from Battery, and if I have more trouble, I'll let you guys know.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@Majin
    The better solution would have been to disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD).

Then renaming the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

And then moving the prefs.prop from
    to
    C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

That should have given you a consistent savegame back. Now you might have inconsistent savegames instead, which is not ideal if you want your choices to be recognized in season 2.
    Continuing to play the game might have overwritten some of the .save files, so the procedure above might not work properly anymore. If you made a backup of the savegame folder before you continued playing, you can still try it with that though after restoring it.

There's another option. If you run the support tool once more I can compare the dates of the .save files with the previous run. If you're lucky they are still intact and the game only added new ones.

Majin posted: »

Hi, I seem to be having a similar problem, except for me, no matter who I choose, I end up going alone. I have the stats of Chapter 4 fully av

• I have the same problem and have tried the fix you have recommended here,

but there is no prefs.prop file in my common\the walking dead\pack\WalkingDead104 folder.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@nidpancho

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

nidpancho posted: »

I have the same problem and have tried the fix you have recommended here, but there is no prefs.prop file in my common\the walking dead\pack\WalkingDead104 folder.

• edited December 2013

Hi, I'm having trouble with the last episode of Season 1, non of my choices from the previous episode have carried over. I tried re-doing episode 4 but that didn't fix the problem. Here is the support tool data file link http://www.sendspace.com/file/9sk1tp

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@Willmoar

C:\Users\Willmoar\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

to
    C:\Users\Willmoar\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

Willmoar posted: »

Hi, I'm having trouble with the last episode of Season 1, non of my choices from the previous episode have carried over. I tried re-doing epis

• Cheers mate, worked like a charm!

@Willmoar Please rename the prefs.prop in C:\Users\Willmoar\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

• edited December 2013

/EDIT/ Hmm, nevermind, I seem to have fixed the problem somehow... :)

• So I'm having a problem where no one came with me at the end of episode 4 but Kenny is here at the start of episode 5. I'm on an ipad so I'm not sure how to fix this. Thoughts?

Thanks

• Hello,

have the same problem. Here is my link.

Thanks.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rm4t2k

@Majin The better solution would have been to disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "u

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2014

@mmuratcil

C:\Users\Murat\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

to
    C:\Users\Murat\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

mmuratcil posted: »

Hello, have the same problem. Here is my link. Thanks. http://www.sendspace.com/file/rm4t2k

• it worked, thanks. Just finished the game. Awesome...

@mmuratcil Please rename the prefs.prop in C:\Users\Murat\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

• Hi i should have kenny, Ben, Christa and Omid coming with me into episode 5 but i've only got Kenny. thanks[http://www.sendspace.com/file/mslud4]

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@SJM01

~/Library/Application Support/telltale games/thewalkingdead

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead104/

to

~/Library/Application Support/telltale games/thewalkingdead

You can navigate to the folders by starting Finder, and selecting "Go/Go to Folder..." from the menu or pressing CMD-SHIFT-G, and pasting the path into it.

SJM01 posted: »

Hi i should have kenny, Ben, Christa and Omid coming with me into episode 5 but i've only got Kenny. thanks[http://www.sendspace.com/file/mslud4]

• Hi I am having the same problem as everyone else except mine is iOS. I did not see a solution for this platform. Anyone have a solution?

• Hi
    From episode 1 to 2, Doug is missing, instead someone named Carley is there. Please help!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cam4zu

Pfinn posted: »

Hi I am having the same problem as everyone else except mine is iOS. I did not see a solution for this platform. Anyone have a solution?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@popsbrahe

C:\Users\Brahe1\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to
    C:\Users\Brahe1\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

popsbrahe posted: »

Hi From episode 1 to 2, Doug is missing, instead someone named Carley is there. Please help! http://www.sendspace.com/file/cam4zu

This discussion has been closed.