Windows 8 - I can't start any Telltale games

edited July 2013 in Game Support
I use the original Telltale games from the website.

None of the ones I testet (Wallace and Gromit ep1-4, some of the Sam & Max episodes including ep1.1 and 3.1, Back to the Future ep1) works.

They all worked fine under Windows 7, Windows 8 tells me the programs are not compatible, right clicking and changing the compatibility options won't change a thing.

While Wallace & Grommit don't display anything, Back to the Future at least displays that the program crached if I start it in compatibility mode.

What can I do?
Is there any chance updated .exe Files will be released?

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Hi Neumi,

Like you, I have Windows 8 and I had a similar problem today. I just bought the DLC of Walking Dead and was sad to see my game wasn't launching. I finally found a solution on the Steam Community forum.

I have a Xbox 360 controller on my PC via USB and that was the problem. I don't know why, put I just unplugged it and the game now work perfectly.

I hope it will help you ! :D
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Neumi,

Like you, I have Windows 8 and I had a similar problem today. I just bought the DLC of Walking Dead and was sad to see my game wasn't launching. I finally found a solution on the Steam Community forum.

I have a Xbox 360 controller on my PC via USB and that was the problem. I don't know why, put I just unplugged it and the game now work perfectly.

I hope it will help you ! :D

I've just bought Poker Nights 1 & 2 and was dismayed to find that neither of them worked. However, I too have an xbox controller plugged into my PC at all times. I've just unplugged it and now Poker Night 1 is running fine (I'll try number 2 later)

Thanks for your help! and if this is a problem for anybody else here is your fix!
  • I have Windows 8 and I have a Logitech USB controller. As soon as I unplugged the controller, the launcher worked. This seems like an odd bug that needs to be fixed, as I can think there would be gamers that have their controllers plugged in to play other games (Telltale isn't the only gaming company).

This is confirmed for Hector Badge of Carnage episode 1.

I'm not using the Steam community.

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

If you are running Windows 8 and are running into this issue, may I suggest upgrading to Windows 8.1. This should fix the issue you are running into on Windows 8. I apologize for the inconvenience.

• nah...keeping the usb controller unplugged is a MUCH better alternative than upgrading to 8.1.

• TelltaleMike, I have recently updated to Windows 8.1 so reading this I was quite hopefull. However, after downloading and reinstalling The Walking Dead I was dissapointed yet again. For me the problem is the same as always. This is really irritating since I really enjoyed the game and would like to finish it but I do not feel like paying for it again to get on Xbox or PS3 just beacuse it dosen't work properly on Windows 8.

If you are running Windows 8 and are running into this issue, may I suggest upgrading to Windows 8.1. This should fix the issue you are running into on Windows 8. I apologize for the inconvenience.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@Ferelius
    I can take a look at the situation.

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

Ferelius posted: »

TelltaleMike, I have recently updated to Windows 8.1 so reading this I was quite hopefull. However, after downloading and reinstalling The Wal

• Ok, thank you. This should be the correct file, otherwise I will try again.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/33q4iy

DjNDB posted: »

@Ferelius I can take a look at the situation. Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I'm seeing weird results. It looks like the game isn't installed at all. I also don't see any crash events related to the game.

Please make (re)install the game, and run the support tool again, on the same windows user account you installed the game from.

Also please describe what problem you have with the game in detail.

• Well I reinstalled it and now it is working perfectly... So thanks for the help. It's weird but I tend not to question something that works.

DjNDB posted: »

I'm seeing weird results. It looks like the game isn't installed at all. I also don't see any crash events related to the game. Please make

This discussion has been closed.