TWD Season 2 Crash on Launch

edited January 2014 in Game Support

Problem:

• Steam version of The Walking Dead 2 will not launch properly.

• Upon launch, I see a couple of resolution changes, black screen for a fraction of a second, then my desktop. No error messages.

Attempted solutions:

• Unplugged XBox 360 controller

• Added dinput8.dll

• Disabled nVidia SLI

• Dropped refresh rate to 60Hz

• Verified game cache

• Deleted and reinstalled game

• Removed My Documents\Telltale Games directory completely

• Checked for executable or shortcut asking to run in compatibility mode

• Updated DirectX, .net, graphics drivers.

So far, nothing has worked.

My brief configuration:

• Windows 8.1 64-bit

• nVidia 660Ti in SLI

• 120 Hz Monitor

• Intel processor

And really, that's about it.

Problem signature:

P1: TheWalkingDead2.exe

P2: 2014.1.13.27106

P3: 52d46a4e

P4: TheWalkingDead2.exe

P5: 2014.1.13.27106

P6: 52d46a4e

P7: c0000005

P8: 000057ec

P9:

P10:

I've linked the full diagnostics here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/hf75s1

Comments

• edited January 2014

As a followup, I re-downloaded and installed TWD Season 1. No problems at all.

Curiously though, I see in the My Documents\TellTale Games folder:
    "C:\Users\Brandon\Documents\Telltale Games\the walking dead\prefs.prop" (and other assorted files).

But, TWD Season 2 is:
    "C:\Users\Brandon\Documents\Telltale Games\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead Season Two\prefs.prop"

Supposed to be like that?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

E:!Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead Season Two\TheWalkingDead2.exe

The game most likely crashes because of the exclamation mark in the path of the steam library.
    There's a workaround here.

"C:\Users\Brandon\Documents\Telltale Games\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead Season Two\prefs.prop"

That doesn't look right. I would remove the folder if there's nothing else but TWD S2 content.

As a followup, I re-downloaded and installed TWD Season 1. No problems at all. Curiously though, I see in the My Documents\TellTale Games f

• As you can see, I've done that. But no change. It just rewrites it. I did attempt to put the contents of "C:\Users\Brandon\Documents\Telltale Games\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead Season Two\" into "C:\Users\Brandon\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead Season Two\" but the game just keeps overwriting.

But you were right. It didn't like the "!" in my game directory. I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with any other game like that.

DjNDB, thank you for the help. I'll get my save files imported and enjoy Chapter 1.

DjNDB posted: »

E:!Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead Season Two\TheWalkingDead2.exe The game most likely crashes because of the exclamation mark

This discussion has been closed.