Walking Dead Direct3D error

edited February 2014 in Game Support

"Could Not initialize Direct3d. Make sure you have current video drivers and close any other applications that might be running. You will need a video card that supports at least pixel shader version 1.2"

I click okay then this pops up

"Unfortunately, this error cannot be recovered."

I try every fix. The only one to work was Making it Windows 98, but that caused audio glitches and bad stuttering anytime I did an action, such as kick the window out of the police car. I can run Max Payne 3 on Ultra but this game refuses to start, unless I go to run it in a buggy state using windows 98. What makes it even more confusing is it worked flawlessly a few months back, and I played most of Episode 1 then came back and now this is happening.

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. If you are receiving a Direct3d and/or pixel shader error, please make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of Direct X in order to run our game successfully.

• I have downloaded the latest version, reinstalled the game, and verified the game's cache on Steam and am still getting the same issue.

I apologize for the inconvenience. If you are receiving a Direct3d and/or pixel shader error, please make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of Direct X in order to run our game successfully.

Please read this FAQ on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply to this email with the download link copied and pasted into this reply. You can find the FAQ here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing, after receiving the information from your support tool, we will be able to assist you further.

Thank you,
    Mike

HunterHyena posted: »

I have downloaded the latest version, reinstalled the game, and verified the game's cache on Steam and am still getting the same issue.

• Please read this FAQ on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply to this email with the download link copi

After looking over your support tool data, I have a few possible solutions:

1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for both your graphics card, and update your computer's BIOS

2) Restart your system

3) Unplug your gamepad (and all other USB devices other than keyboard/mouse)

4) Verify your cache if you purchased through Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

5) Run the game as admin

6) Run the game in compatibility mode (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

7) Reinstall the game (c)

8) Make sure that the Steam application is not set to a compatibility mode (right click on steam and click properties, then check compatibility, and make sure that it is not checked to play in a different OS)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fv9bd1

• edited February 2014

I have done all of the above, and the only one that half worked was running it in Windows 98/Windows Me. However, when I did that the game would stutter whenever an action would be performed or whenever a line of dialogue was spoken. Other issues stemming from that would be massive lag between game options and the game's response to them. For example, when your character yells "Look out" to alert the cop driving the car at the beginning of the zombie in the rode, the option popped up a good 20 seconds before the zombie was seen.

I have gone through each type of compatibility that I can between Steam and Walking Dead and none of them seem to make a difference.

After looking over your support tool data, I have a few possible solutions: 1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for both your graphics ca

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (60Hz)

This caused the "Could Not initialize Direct3D" error message initially. You need to set the display color depth to 32 bit.

Then check the properties of the Steam.exe, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode and "run as admin" settings.
    Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
    Afterwards try if the game works.

If the method mentioned above didn't work, you can try disabling it in the registry. Then restart the computer and try running the game again.

I have done all of the above, and the only one that half worked was running it in Windows 98/Windows Me. However, when I did that the game wou

• This worked, the game runs perfectly now :D

Thanks a ton for the help!

DjNDB posted: »

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (60Hz) This caused the "Could Not initialize Direct3D" error

• https://www.sendspace.com/file/tixpy3

I have tried everything listed on here and its still not working. I played about an hour of the game so I know I can run it, it just started getting the error when i tried to change the video settings

Please make sure that your graphics card's drivers are updated to the latest version, then restart the game, and see if your issue is resolved. If you still experience the error message, please also install and run the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer to make sure Direct X is auto updated to the latest version, and you should then be able to start the game successfully.

msk24 posted: »

https://www.sendspace.com/file/tixpy3 I have tried everything listed on here and its still not working. I played about an hour of the game so I know I can run it, it just started getting the error when i tried to change the video settings

• Already did thay and it says its up to date

Please make sure that your graphics card's drivers are updated to the latest version, then restart the game, and see if your issue is resolv

Unfortunately if you only experienced the issue after changing your video settings, and the above suggestion did not work, you may need to uninstall the game, and delete your save file directory, then reinstall a new version of the game, and your preferences will be restored to default, and you should be able to play the game successfully again. To do this, please right-click the game in your Steam Library, and click Delete Local Content. Then delete the 'The Walking Dead' folder from the following file directory:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\

Then reinstall the game in Steam, and start the game, and you should be able to play.

Already did thay and it says its up to date

• Still not working. Ive re-downloaded and installed 3x and its the same thing. It still keeps all my progress and preferences even tho I delete the folder. It's like it reappears as soon as the game finishes downloading

Unfortunately if you only experienced the issue after changing your video settings, and the above suggestion did not work, you may need to u

Can you please clarify if you have Steam Cloud Saving enabled for the game? If so, Steam keeps an instance of your save files and preferences file within your Steam file directory. If so, please disable Steam Cloud Saving/Synchronization, then try my above suggestion one more time, and your issue should be resolved. (You can check this by right clicking on the game in your Steam Library, clicking Properties, and click the Updates tab. Near the bottom of the page, you can see if the Steam Cloud is enabled for The Walking Dead)

Still not working. Ive re-downloaded and installed 3x and its the same thing. It still keeps all my progress and preferences even tho I delete the folder. It's like it reappears as soon as the game finishes downloading

• That probably was it, but I was able to get it to work. I had to update my graphics card driver and re set all optimal game settings to defaults. Incredible pain in the ass but at least it works now. Thanks for your help

Can you please clarify if you have Steam Cloud Saving enabled for the game? If so, Steam keeps an instance of your save files and preference

You're welcome, enjoy the game!

That probably was it, but I was able to get it to work. I had to update my graphics card driver and re set all optimal game settings to defaults. Incredible pain in the ass but at least it works now. Thanks for your help

This discussion has been closed.