TOMI Launcher crash

jmmjmm
edited July 2009 in Game Support
The process just dies.
I was lucky enough to be able to activate and launch TOMI the first time (from the installer). But after quitting the game I'm unable to launch the launcher (:p).

What I tried:
-Reboots
-Uninstall/Reinstall
-Uninstall, Deep registry cleanup, Install
-Deleting IE 8 data (cookies, temporary files, etc)
-IE8 settings reset
-Cursing and Screaming
-Stomping my head into my desk (and wall, some time later)

Workaround:
-Since I have Windows 7 dual booting with XP. I used XP to install and play the game.

System Info:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
4 Gb Installed RAM
Windows 7, 64 bit Version, Ultimate Edition. Build 7100. English.
2xNVIDIA GeForce 8400
IE 8 for Win7, latest updates

Some technical stuff beyond this point
Problem: Access Violation - Address could not be read
Module: Apphelp.dll
Symbol: LUEnumImportedModules +22

If you need it, I can send you the dump file (I can't get too far with the problem without TOMI's symbols)

Next Report
The launcher goes into a Wait function and never exits (Ok, I waited for 20 minutes).
Problem: AppHang
Symbol: ZwWaitForMultipleObjects

Unfortunately I don't have a crash dump for this event.

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for all the info jmm. I've sent it over to seg, who tends to be better with this sort of thing.
  • SegSeg
    edited July 2009
    Do you have Visual studio or some kind of debugger? Looks like a debugger of some sort is attempting to attach to the process, which would cause hilarity (crashes) to ensue.
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2009
    Well I do have: Several development IDEs, Windows SDK, DirectX SDK, Windows Debugging tools. Take your poison :)

I could try removing those but I'll have to reinstall them later.
    One thing that I did no try is to change compability settings, maybe a SHIM is misbehaving (or has a bug!?)

I'll post my findings later
  • edited July 2009
    jmm wrote: »
    Well I do have: Several development IDEs, Windows SDK, DirectX SDK, Windows Debugging tools. Take your poison :)

I could try removing those but I'll have to reinstall them later.
    One thing that I did no try is to change compability settings, maybe a SHIM is misbehaving (or has a bug!?)

I'll post my findings later

TMI launches (launcher and all) on my laptop -- but is unplayable due to old/laptop hardware. It has Visual Studio 2008 Professional on it, and the Windows SDK for Vista/2008 Server, so it shouldn't be either of them... (Hopefully saves you the painful uninstall of VS2008 which takes forever to install even on a quad core!)
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2009
    Ok got it to work again.
    In short, it only works IF
    a) It is run after the installer completes
    b) There are no config/save files left (after uninstall)

So my guess is that the problem lies on writing something to either the registry after launching the game from the launcher (Start the game process, then write something perhaps) or the configuration into the props file (after quitting the game, but I find this highly improbable to be the cause)

That change in configuration makes the launcher fail on start (thinking about it: maybe its the flag that tells the launcher to go to the registration or registration check page, which is no longer used after activating the game)
This discussion has been closed.