Opinions about episode 1.

2»

Comments

• Really good! ( and I usually hate first episodes).

I loved that we had a lot of possibilities like chosing our team's name and chosing our construction.

I also liked that even being a first episode, it's branched (Reuben's choice)

(I could go on but writing on the cellphone sucks)

8 ou of 10 great episode!

• Really enjoyed the episode to be honest (although currently I am being hounded by friends for even suggesting that I liked it.)

Everything was quite clean and although cliche and 'cringy' at points that had nothing to do with me. I'm not their target audience and I appreciate that. What they did would be really enjoyable for people that love Minecraft and a good cheesy laugh with their kids. It's fun and would definitely make for a good family game to play together one night.

• I'm writing a review for this tomorrow, but I'll spoil a little bit of how I feel.

I was very disappointed by the game. Given the hype, it definitely did not deliver. I'm not saying it's a bad game or that it sucks, but I expected a lot more.

• Basically Episode 1 for me really

enter image description here

It was fun, I liked it alot

• So, I finally played the game and I liked it a lot!

The first half was a bit slow. It took me some time getting used to the animation and the characters. I have experience with Minecraft before, so it was interesting to see it as an actual inhabited world. The build up to the second half of the story was great but slow. It was necessary to get used to this world and the characters that we interact with. We learn a little about the culture of this world as well as the danger of it.

Once the Wither appears everything just turned very exciting. The Wither is just badass. A massive three headed monster of destruction, tearing the world and drawing people and alike to him. Once the action and adventure begins, I was quite invested in it. And the ending was solid with setting up the future episodes.

Let's talk about the characters. I find Jesse to be a good playable character. I play him as a brave and kindhearted person who cares about his friends and helping others. He is however quite reckless such as threatening a butcher with his sword to release Rubean, being risk getting hurt because of his selflessness or going alone to save Lukas. So yeah, I already have a good characterization on how I am going to play him. As for the crew, I find myself liking Lucas and Petra more than Axel and Olivia. I thought that Axel was being rather rude and unfair to Lucas, so I took his side. If I have to say who I like more between Axel and Olivia, I'd choose Olivia, because she is smart and isn't a hot-headed like Axel. As for our pig, Rubean, I love the pig and I am protective of him.

The story isn't anything noteworthy. As for now, it feels like a standard go gather heroes and save the world, but since there is this mystery about how Ivor used to be a member of the Order of the Stone, there seems to be a lot of potential for stuff.

So, first part was slow but necessary and second half was exciting. Overall, this was a solid good episode for me. I know it is not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. :)

• edited October 2015

I liked it. It was pretty good.

At first the look and feel kinda made me feel a little weird but I got over it pretty quick. I liked that there were quite a few branching paths and open areas to explore. Story was really slow at the start but gets pretty "exciting" when the action finally goes down. Liked the characters, though Axel gets pretty pissy later on. Got a giggle and a chuckle every now and again. Finally, from what I can guess based on your final choice the next episode could be very very different which is awesome.

Only problems I had with with were some quirky animations and minor visual glitches but that's about it.

• It was good, but not 20 euros good. I think it's fair to judge it by its first episode even if you have paid for all five beforehand since they have habit to discount their games early on even when only a few episodes are out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that the game is bad or anything like that. It's just that they could have added a bit more actual gameplay this time around.

• It took me a couple of minutes the first time, but the second time, I just flipped the very left switch, very right switch, and middle switch in that order.

OzzyUK posted: »

Now that the game is close to being released i will say more about it that i couldn't say in my London play session thread due to the embarg

• I didn't. The playthrough I was watching, the guy playing the episode kept babbling on so it was heard to hear. First thing I noticed was Lukas getting called by name and I just thought 'ah, that name, why that name...?' later when the character showed up again and started talking that's when I thought he sounded familiar. It still took me a couple minutes to realize and when I did, I rushed to find a video with the credits and flipped when I saw Lukas was voiced by the same guy.

He'll probably die in the next episode, but damn, it was so nice to hear a character somewhat like Luke again.

Abeille posted: »

He broke my heard the minute he opened his mouth. Luke... ç-ç

• He'll probably die in the next episode

You're in luck, he's on the episode 3 slide.

Lilacsbloom posted: »

I didn't. The playthrough I was watching, the guy playing the episode kept babbling on so it was heard to hear. First thing I noticed was Lu

• I really liked it, probably my second favorite premiere episode before TFTB. I'm so glad they did an intro sequence.

• I am so damn glad that someone made that.

Poogers555 posted: »

Basically Episode 1 for me really It was fun, I liked it alot

• Definitely exceeded my expectations, hopefully the rest of the season goes this smooth. Absolutely loving the tone of the game as well.

• enter image description here

I'm writing a review for this tomorrow, but I'll spoil a little bit of how I feel. I was very disappointed by the game. Given the hype, it definitely did not deliver. I'm not saying it's a bad game or that it sucks, but I expected a lot more.

• It was good; not my favorite but good nonetheless. Like some mentioned, the story was kinda slow at first but picked up once The Wither appeared. The story has potential. As of now, it has an old-school Nickelodeon kind of feel. I know the "mystery" with Ivor may play into the story line, but it seems like it will be just another story where a member of the hero group went rogue.

One thing I will say I liked were the QTE's and the sword scenes. I especially like how this time, you took damage and it showed. From the past few TellTale games that I have seen, "damage" during a scene either had no effect or you just instantly died. Taking from what I have seem this episode and from what I have seen in TFTBL, I have a good feeling that future TellTale games will be a bit more interactive. They won't be full controlled scenes like in other video games, but it make the scene a bit more interesting and diverse. For example, imagine failing dodging QTE's and your character's speed and stamina is affect by such.

As of now I give it a 7/10. It's not bad, I'm just not hooked. If I was younger, I'd might be hooked. However, it is good enough for me to want to see what happens with episode 2... unless TWD: Michonne steals my soul. lol

• I hate the pig!

• The people that love Minecraft (a lot of people) and love Telltale will love this. People that don't know what Minecraft is (unlikely) but still like Telltale will also like this. People that hate Minecraft and think it's all a dumb meme now (like me) might not like it in the first 15 minutes, but I think it grows on you.

If this came out before it got super popular and gained it's meme status, I probably would've liked it more early on.

• I never thought this game would be amazing like that,I thought it was going to be good but not that good,really I could expect TT to announce Counter Strike:Story Mode and it actually turns out to be good(not really though)

OTP

• OTP is Lukas X Everyone because of his perfection, get it together.

ZapThroat posted: »

I never thought this game would be amazing like that,I thought it was going to be good but not that good,really I could expect TT to announce Counter Strike:Story Mode and it actually turns out to be good(not really though) OTP

• I actually ship that too,but if I had to pick sides,Jetra fo'sure ;)

Embrace it!

OTP is Lukas X Everyone because of his perfection, get it together.

• Jesse and Petra is good, but its super low key to Lukas x Everyone.

Y'all need to notice how Lukas is nothing but 150% love.

I actually ship that too,but if I had to pick sides,Jetra fo'sure Embrace it!

• Well,can't argue with that,but I stand my ground!

And you can't ship Lukas with Axel for example,it's like shipping Luke with Kenny :3

Jesse and Petra is good, but its super low key to Lukas x Everyone. Y'all need to notice how Lukas is nothing but 150% love.

• I agree with the growing on you part. Was looking through the comments section of a lets play and the opinions of some turned from "lol da fuq is diz shit" to "wow this is actually pretty fun" as I went through further parts.

tintin1029 posted: »

The people that love Minecraft (a lot of people) and love Telltale will love this. People that don't know what Minecraft is (unlikely) but s

• Quick! Someone kick Lukas in the knee, then it'll be perfect!

Basically Episode 1 for me really It was fun, I liked it alot

• Since there are no bullets in Minecraft,he could take an arrow to the..nah forget it.

dojo32161 posted: »

Quick! Someone kick Lukas in the knee, then it'll be perfect!

• Don't underestimate the shippers!

You will find tons of fanfictions about couples that actually hate each other.

They will say that Axel is denying his feelings and that his attitude is only a mask to hide his love for Lukas. And that totally makes sense because really look at Lukas, who could possibly not love him?!

Well,can't argue with that,but I stand my ground! And you can't ship Lukas with Axel for example,it's like shipping Luke with Kenny

• Classic shippers,but I like what's real,what's good for my health,and it's this.

But who said someone doesn't love Lukas?We all love him <3

Abeille posted: »

Don't underestimate the shippers! You will find tons of fanfictions about couples that actually hate each other. They will say that Ax

• This game had no hype at all. This game had negative hype...

I'm writing a review for this tomorrow, but I'll spoil a little bit of how I feel. I was very disappointed by the game. Given the hype, it definitely did not deliver. I'm not saying it's a bad game or that it sucks, but I expected a lot more.

• 4.5/ 10

Its just very meh...

It clearly aimed at young kids however im hoping choice etc is good otherwise there is very little to make the game all that engaging. Again the setting in minecraft is just odd, they could tell this story in numerous worlds, its also kind of impossible to get the feel of mine craft as mine craft is all about freedom to do whatever you want

story

A decent start but pretty predictable the "twist" of the main bad guy being part of the group was pretty obvious. Also at times it tries to be serious and that honestly doesnt work whatsoever. I don't feel scared of the characters being out after dark etc.

Characters

Most were kind of annoying, okay I suppose. I dont really know if they are meant to be kids or adults given how they all act. I didnt feel much towards any of them. also If the game ever wants me to feel fear in this game its not going to happen.

Acting

It was okay, though ellie and lee cannot sound like anything other than themselves

Look

its minecraft so i get the design but its just so jarring to play, I never feel any sense of danger or anything. The blocky world looks ugly and the characters look weird, though again its minecraft.

Choices

Seemed to be a decent amount also the updated fighting was decent addition, hopefully future games include this.

All in all what I expected, not good or bad just forgettable, again improvement is possible but some things with a kids game are just impossible to fix as minecraft kind of requires them.

• Okay, so I haven't played it, watched several LP's so I think I've got a pretty well-rounded opinion but I'm glad I didn't pay anything for it after seeing what it had to offer.

Graphically, it stays very true to Minecraft which is great, but I keep cringing at the mouth movements every time the characters talk, lip-syncing hasn't been one of TellTale's forte's anyway but all they had to do was make the right animations and they managed to make that just look, weird.

The story doesn't look like it's going to be anything exciting and looks to be pretty predictable too. And usually I never harp on a game for it's voice acting or pacing but holy crap are both terrible in this game. The only time I got remotely excited was when the warrior guy, voiced by the guy who did Lee spoke up but even his performance felt lacking. No one really sounds like they're getting into their characters at all, the emotion is so dry. Then there's the pacing that just goes all over the place and confuses me constantly.

For example - We're told early about the rivalry between your group and Lukas/The Ocelots and Lukas is made out to be a jerk but he's the nicest guy out of the bunch? What the hell?
    Later, when the pig gets lost then monsters attack and Petra saves you and right after she starts talking about some deal... uhhh, we're not going to talk about those monsters at all? Oh look, we're surrounded by monsters again, you two get away, and mention it briskly to your friends later. Same thing with the after the deal happens and you ask the other two to help and w/o question they do. Normally there'd be a question or two about some shady deal that just happened.
    And then there's that totally weird escalation between Lukas and the Axel where Axel keeps thinking Lukas is a jerk, anyone else getting flashbacks of Kenny from TWD S2?

This episode reeks of the same team that did TWD S2 to me and I'm just not impressed at all. Usually the first episode is pretty strong but this was mediocre and you can tell they were trying, there's lots of tries to be funny just like from Tales but they fall short, I'm not seeing anything worthwhile in this episode and possibly series.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.