Why do so many people dislike Minecraft: Story Mode?

I'm seeing it everywhere! Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, hell even here! People are far too quick to judge I think and it's so unfair because even if this games not your style or that it's related to Minecraft does not mean it should be judged so rashly. I will admit I was a bit sceptical going into it, but I'll hold my hands up and admit my worries were wrongly placed because in terms of the usual Telltale style, they succeeded quite well in making a story out of Minecraft. Why do so many people dislike it?

Comments

• Hate bandwagon. It is a mob psychology thing. Human nature is fascinating sometimes.

• Because its minecraft(or in some cases not)

• Because it's either Not the "real" minecraft or Not TWDS3 or TWAUS2. I Loved the First Episode. It may have some weird dialogs But it's due to the E-rating. It's like the Lego Movie.

• My guess is that they really wanted Minecraft:Story Mode to be "Minecraft 2" . Hence why they were upset despite the fact that the game was clearly labeled Story mode

• Do you really need to ask?

enter image description here

They went with this instead of The walking dead season 3 or The Wolf Among Us season 2 .

I get that TellTale wants to create different types of games . But this is too different. Not even worth paying 5.00 for.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2015

This game doesn't replace The Walking Dead Season Three. If Minecraft: Story Mode didn't come out now, something else would have, and The Walking Dead: Season Three would still come out in 2016.

None of the seasons that are being developed have any bearing on the length of development time for The Walking Dead: Season Three. The Walking Dead Season Three has been stated to be much bigger than previous seasons, so it is taking longer to make. The same thing happened with Sam & Max: Season Three back in 2010 (as the previous season was released in 2008, and the first season was released in 2007). The longer development time improved the experience compared to the previous seasons, and it's likely the same will be true for The Walking Dead: Season Three.

Cope49 posted: »

Do you really need to ask? They went with this instead of The walking dead season 3 or The Wolf Among Us season 2 . I get

• edited October 2015

I would guess...

1 Kids who thought this was gonna be an open world, and/or Minecraft 2.

2 People who hate Minecraft with a passion

3 People who think its overpriced

4 People who think this game is stopping the development of TWAU S2 or TWD S3 (Which it isn't"

• Eh i'd prefer something new over TWD S3.

Do you really need to ask? They went with this instead of The walking dead season 3 or The Wolf Among Us season 2 . I get

• I don't .

zeke10 posted: »

Eh i'd prefer something new over TWD S3.

• Well that's your opinion

I don't .

• That it is.

zeke10 posted: »

Well that's your opinion

• I was turned off at first because I'm used to the 1st player brick breaking Minecraft. This is my first telltale game so I wasnt sure what to expect. I gave it a chance and really liked it. It's a story not a "game" ... My only complaint is the voice actor who was given the leader role - I've never seen that man as a leader before lol.

• edited October 2015

Just my opinion, and I think the game is alright. To me 'Story Mode' is a very weird decision which goes against the whole 'no aims, no goals, no objectives' intention of Minecraft. The graphics and animations are somewhat disappointing - not saying that it's bad. The game is very stylized, but honestly I have seen some fanmade media which look better. The story/dialogue is kinda weak also, but I guess it's understandable given the game is aimed at younger audiences.

• edited October 2015

I hope you do realize things like Season 3 take time to make. It's not like they threw away Season 3, and it's not like The Wolf among us season 2 was ever going to happen anyway. Minecraft is about imagination, making your own story, building what you want, and Telltale, the fucking geniuses they are, wanted to create a whole new image for that. You wanna complain about it, do it silently so the rest of us don't have to hear the unoriginal ceaseless complaints about it, Because you're basically driving MC:SM's comments sections to become the GoT's entire forum section.

Telltale worked their asses off on this and made it great, just like they did with Tales of Monkey Island, Just like they did with Sam and Max, just like they did with TWD, and just like they did with TWAU. Wanna complain? Do like I did with the majority of the games I've played and shut up and think it instead of saying it. Don't make the rest of us put up with it, Thank you! ^_^

• My only complaint is the voice actor who was given the leader role - I've never seen that man as a leader before lol.

Who, you mean Patton Oswalt? He's the lead in a lot of the things he's in. He's Remy from Ratatoulie, and the Narrator from The Goldbergs as well.

Johnb posted: »

I was turned off at first because I'm used to the 1st player brick breaking Minecraft. This is my first telltale game so I wasnt sure what t

• I was hesitant about Patton voicing the main character, but I like him so far. His voice show that Jesse is a positive and nice character, as well as a capable badass who protects his friends.

I was turned off at first because I'm used to the 1st player brick breaking Minecraft. This is my first telltale game so I wasnt sure what t

• and it's not like The Wolf among us season 2 was ever going to happen anyway.

You wanna complain about it, do it silently so the rest of us don't have to hear the unoriginal ceaseless complaints about it>

Yeah I won't be doing any of that . Never been the silently type as you well know.

Minecraft is about imagination, making your own story, building what you want

Sigh....kids...

The Wolf among us season 2 was ever going to happen anyway.

The Wolf Among Us season 2 will happen.

Wanna complain? Do like I did with the majority of the games I've played and shut up and think it instead of saying it.

Nope.

I hope you do realize things like Season 3 take time to make. It's not like they threw away Season 3, and it's not like The Wolf among us se

• Yeah I won't be doing any of that . Never been the silently type as you well know.

Okay, that's fair. But as I wise man once said: "Oh, and tryin' to be less of an asshole would do you just fine."

Sigh....kids...

Sigh... Joyless adults.... Jesus, just why does everybody play games for the story huh? This whole Minecraft thing is Zelda: A link to the Past Vs Ocarina of Time all over again.

The Wolf Among Us season 2 will happen.

Ah, see. I knew you had a sense of imagination!

Nope.

Wow, you're just not even going to try and be civil, are you?

and it's not like The Wolf among us season 2 was ever going to happen anyway. You wanna complain about it, do it silently so the res

• I'd prefer something new as well. Walking Dead was shit (And please do not hate, that is just my opinion). The whole game never had suspense or anything, only people fighting over food and drinks. MC:SM was good. I enjoyed it.

That it is.

• I've been waiting for TWAU S2, like forever.

Duck_Hunt posted: »

I would guess... 1 Kids who thought this was gonna be an open world, and/or Minecraft 2. 2 People who hate Minecraft with a passion

• It just looks awful.

Now, I'm not picky when it comes to graphics and I know that's how minecraft is supposed to look.

Still can't take it seriously nor even immerse myself in it when I can't even tell what body expression these characters are having most of the time. .

• It doesn't entirely interest me (it has some interesting things though), but I don't bash it just because it's different from what I was expecting. That would be childish (okay I used to do that back with TWD Season 2 a bit but looking back at it, I feel a little ridiculous). I'm on the "meh" department for Minecraft: Story Mode.

• Agree.

Nonoru posted: »

It just looks awful. Now, I'm not picky when it comes to graphics and I know that's how minecraft is supposed to look. Still can't tak

• I think the way they made a story out of Minecraft is great and would be fun to play if maybe it was aimed at a slightly older audience. The first episode wasn't bad by any account, but I was slightly bored playing it and so probably won't continue with the game.

• Well is good to see someone here who can enjoy a good story without blood and gore and violence and swearing (even though the only swear words used in this game is "D-a-m-n" "H-e-l-l")

I'd prefer something new as well. Walking Dead was shit (And please do not hate, that is just my opinion). The whole game never had suspense or anything, only people fighting over food and drinks. MC:SM was good. I enjoyed it.

• To each their own.

I'm sure many enjoyed MC : SM . It's just so not for me.

I'd prefer something new as well. Walking Dead was shit (And please do not hate, that is just my opinion). The whole game never had suspense or anything, only people fighting over food and drinks. MC:SM was good. I enjoyed it.

• The quick backlash is mostly coming from Minecraft lovers who probably thought this was some expansion to the main game itself where they're getting nothing at all like they'd expected. I was skeptical about it myself when it was announced but was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as usual, watched some LP's and was not entertained at all. Others like yourself like it and naturally that's great, which is why I hope people who haven't enjoyed it won't keep battering it as the rest of it's episodes come out.

Like any other game it should be criticized but I feel like a lot of the heat will die down more and more. People who don't like it simply won't pay it any attention, leaving the people who do the freedom to enjoy it among themselves. So just sit tight a bit and wait, a lot of the hate/haters will go away quickly!

• While I don't mind the style, I do have a harder time "reading" the characters in this game than in other telltale games because of the limited expressions so I see what you mean.

Nonoru posted: »

It just looks awful. Now, I'm not picky when it comes to graphics and I know that's how minecraft is supposed to look. Still can't tak

• I've always loved Patton Oswalt and I was happy that he finally was the lead. I didn't know that Juno (Ellie from last of us.. Or for her sake, Ellen Page) was gonna be in the game also!

• edited October 2015

I actually think that compared to at least GoT, the decisions in Minecraft Story mode have a greater bearing to the story and thus help with immersion. I'm glad Lee Everett was a background character for most this episode, although I think I like him more when he's cursing.

But l think this game will be alright, probably not as in depth of a story as TWD and TWAU or even TFBL because of the Minecraft medium but kids will love it.

7/10 and 8/10 just for Reuben

• Yeah I'll be honest; I like it, it was nicely done I love the feel of it love the story love the characters, nice to have something new but I mean walking dead is the reason I'm an avid telltale game player.

• edited October 2015

I feel like Walking Dead S1 E1 suffered from the same problem. It had nothing to go off of in the very beginning other than "Hey there's zombies. Watch out or they gon' get ya." which might get people that are tired of the zombie trope turned off by the game.

Where as Minecraft also had nothing to go off of other than "Hey this is Minecraft world, there's Creepers and everything!!" and the people that hate Minecraft (like me) is gonna get a huge turn off from the game.

That being said, in the second half of Walking Dead S1 E1, it started to have it's own story to wrap around like Lee, Clementine and Kenny. Which then lead to all the really awesome stuff in the later episodes.

By the second half of Minecraft E1, they also were able to make their own story off it too, and it's really interesting. I'm really interested in why "Ivor was erased from the books" and all that, and the characters have really great potential in becoming the new cast of people that we'll love and cry for.

• Dude it's been like one year. Give them time to actually think of what the game will even be.

I'm never gonna get a good Silent Hill game ever again, and you don't see me whine all day on forums.

It's time to move on.

I've been waiting for TWAU S2, like forever.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2015

I think most of the hate comes from either stereotypes of Minecraft, or people still keeping the mindset that Telltale is only good for mature drama titles and nothing else because
    "Walking Dead made them famous." I wouldn't really pay it too much mind, as people openly condemned other games when there were announced too, like

• Wolf Among Us (too weird/ it's not Walking Dead)
    • Borderlands (Telltale has obviously never touched comedy before/Telltale just wants big franchises, unlike Walking Dead - that's totally different and doesn't count/Borderlands is too shallow to make a compelling story from/it's not Walking Dead)
    • Game of Thrones (Telltale just wants big franchises, unlike Walking Dead - that's totally different and doesn't count/it's not Walking Dead).

You could also say there are concerns about the base game not having much going for it in terms of story, but other games like Tales from the Borderlands kind of prove that side of the argument wrong since people thought Borderlands was just going to be a shallow story about memes and guns that would attract 12 year old FPS kiddies on the forums. Of course, I'm not saying that you automatically have to like Minecraft just because Borderlands worked, but my point is that Telltale proved source material without a heavy emphasis on story can still work as a Telltale game in some circumstances.

• edited October 2015

But i like FPS...and i am not an 12 year old :P

I think most of the hate comes from either stereotypes of Minecraft, or people still keeping the mindset that Telltale is only good for matu

• There's nothing wrong with liking FPSs, even if you're a 12 year old, but the point is is that Telltale doesn't make FPSs and people need to learn that, and people need to learn to be more fair for something that's not an FPS

Smellmeh posted: »

But i like FPS...and i am not an 12 year old :P

• Why? People can't understand TellTale Games is TellTale Games. Not "those people that make The Walking Dead".

• Minecraft Shminecraft. It does not matter. No. It can be about fuc**** teletubbies but the STORY has to be good. Telltale is able to do that. MSM is boring, predictable (spoiler - a boy will become a hero, kill monster, save friends, etc.), there's no real introduction, jokes are not funny, cliche moments (zombies, food sharing), characters are as simple as their appearance. Every other premier episode so far; TWD, TWAU, TftB, even crappy GOT, was very good. Not this time.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2015

The good thing about Telltale experimenting with games like this though is that they can adapt the new mechanics to their other games. The direct controlled fighting mechanics that Telltale introduced in Minecraft: Story Mode would really work well for The Walking Dead: Michonne, considering the fact that she wields a blade.

To each their own. I'm sure many enjoyed MC : SM . It's just so not for me.

• Reuben should be one of the Telltale mascots! He's so freaking adorable!

ShaneGrimes posted: »

I actually think that compared to at least GoT, the decisions in Minecraft Story mode have a greater bearing to the story and thus help with

Sign in to comment in this discussion.