Minecraft (Original) runs fine at 720p60, but MC: Story Mode only works at ~16fps

Hi. Does anyone know why original Minecraft (1.8.7 OptiFine) runs fine at 720p with 50fps, but (Yes, different engine) MC: Story Mode only runs at 720p 15fps max (including the menu).
Specs: AMD A4 Mobile Quad-Core Processor (1.80Ghz); AMD Radeon R3 Intergrated Graphics; 5GB RAM, 1GB VRAM reserve; Windows 10 Home.

EDIT: Problem solved by updating Windows 10 to the latest build, updating graphics drivers and toning resolution down to 1024x768, giving me a half-decent 25fps (as looks normal on my 4:3 monitor)

Comments

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2015

Minecraft and Minecraft: Story Mode are different games and run on different engines. Minecraft: Story Mode is made by Telltale Games, and runs on their own game engine. Although the game is inspired by Minecraft, it uses the same engine as Telltale's other games which have different requirements then the original Minecraft does.

• Minecraft: Story Mode also clearly has more advanced graphics and that definitely is a piece of this.

Minecraft and Minecraft: Story Mode are different games and run on different engines. Minecraft: Story Mode is made by Telltale Games, and r

• edited October 2015

You can have a try at systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

It's a website that checks whether or not your setup can run a game, if you meet the requirements however, and the game still runs slow — try scanning your computer for any possible adware.

• Thats really fucking weird. I can run minecraft in 15fps, but I can run minecraft story mode in 40-50 fps.

• Its all down to integrated vs dedicated graphics. You have an AMD integrated setup, which shares system resources with the CPU, so Minecraft SM won't run as well as if you had a 100% dedicated graphics card.
    I've found that Minecraft SM works best with an Intel CPU and dedicated NVIDIA graphics card setup.
    Perhaps you may just have to run at a lower resolution to get that "smooth" gameplay, and check that your system is running on "high performance" in power settings. That should help it crank those extra frames per second :)

• edited October 2015

Your PC just barely meets M:SM requirements,so you might not be able to hit full 60fps on high settings. Try updating drivers, c++, direct x, lowering resolution/graphics, etc.

From Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/376870/

MINIMUM:

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2GHz or equivalent
    Memory: 3 GB RAM
    Graphics: ATI or NVIDIA card w/512 MB RAM
    DirectX: Version 9.0
    Hard Drive: 3 GB available space
    Sound Card: Direct X 9.0c sound device
    Additional Notes: Not Recommended for Intel integrated graphics

• I have tried using that site before, and thanks for suggesting, but my CPU isn't really detected correctly.

You can have a try at systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ It's a website that checks whether or not your setup can run a game, if you meet the requirements however, and the game still runs slow — try scanning your computer for any possible adware.

• Another solution, but only slightly. Updating to the latest Windows 10 Insider build gave me a few more FPS, then updating my graphics driver and changing resolution back down to 1024x768 managed to fix my lag.

robdog_42 posted: »

Its all down to integrated vs dedicated graphics. You have an AMD integrated setup, which shares system resources with the CPU, so Minecraft

Sign in to comment in this discussion.