Monkey Island run issues

edited July 2009 in Game Support
I started Monkey Island up and the menu was VERY laggy. I turned the quality down to 1, and it ran just fine. When I actually got into the game, I still had some lag. I checked, and running at a quality of 3 or higher maxes out my CPU. Even with the quality at 1, I get spikes to about 85% usage.

My specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon
Processor Speed: 2.4GHz
Cache Memory: 1MB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM): 2GB
Type of Memory (RAM): DDR2
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
Video Memory: Up to 128MB (shared)
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Basic with SP1

My display is 1366x768. I was running the game at 1280x720 (or less).

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Hmm, your system looks pretty decent. You can try updating your graphics drivers and DirectX. I'd also suggest turning off all background programs.
  • edited July 2009
    megatron wrote: »
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
    Video Memory: Up to 128MB (shared)
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Basic with SP1

Integrated cards and Vista Home Basic do not play terribly well together -- 128MB of shared RAM from Vista is a sign in many ways. Do you have this problem with other games, or 3D applications?
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having a similar problem on my Laptop. Audio is OK, but the video is very choppy. Even the mouse movement is very jerky.
    I'm running

Vista Home Premium.
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology TL-52 1.60 GHz
    1.0 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GO 6150
  • edited July 2009
    Audio51 wrote: »
    Vista Home Premium.
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology TL-52 1.60 GHz
    1.0 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GO 6150

Vista + 1GB of RAM = Lag.

I've been there. I have a 7400 TurboCache and the jump from 1GB of RAM to 4GB (700MB went to the graphics card ;)) made a huge difference. Notably, your Geforce shares that 1GB and Vista will be using no less than 300MB (probably more around the 500MB mark).
  • edited July 2009
    I did get somewhat better results by lowering the resolution and quality within the game, but I'm getting sea sick playing this first scene because the the curser keeps soaring around the screen AND the entire thing takes place on a rocking boat. Any suggestions on how to slow the curser down?

I do plan to upgrade my RAM ASAP but not sure when I can do that....
  • edited July 2009
    Audio51 wrote: »
    I did get somewhat better results by lowering the resolution and quality within the game, but I'm getting sea sick playing this first scene because the the curser keeps soaring around the screen AND the entire thing takes place on a rocking boat. Any suggestions on how to slow the curser down?

I do plan to upgrade my RAM ASAP but not sure when I can do that....

Windows Control Panel would be your best bet for the cursor issue.

You need to remember the RAM is shared across all applications, Vista, and your graphics card, so anything you can close in the background will help with the jerkiness.
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks Megatron! I slowed down the cursor in the control panel as you recommended and it does help! Now I can actually play the game without getting nausiated!:D
  • edited July 2009
    i've got a presario r3000 it's an old computer (5years) i'm not getting alot of the graphics most of them are just black, i've updated video drivers for SBCGFAP but there are no new drivers for my nvidia, is my computer too old to play this game ?
  • edited July 2009
    I would suggest so, Clonefreak1. A 5 year old system, unless it was cutting edge, will probably have some problems, particularly if the OEM (NVidia in this case) has stopped supporting the graphics card. Unless you are running Windows XP, in which case there is some chance.

If you could try Sam & Max Series 1 Episode 4 (it's free) you'll know if the issue is isolated to the current game, at the very least (and at best you get to play Sam & Max!).
  • edited July 2009
    Turophile wrote: »
    Integrated cards and Vista Home Basic do not play terribly well together -- 128MB of shared RAM from Vista is a sign in many ways. Do you have this problem with other games, or 3D applications?

i just got the computer last week. i haven't really tried any other games or 3d applications... though i did play through an episode from season one of sam and max. it hung a couple of times, but otherwise ran fine at whatever the default settings are.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Hmm, your system looks pretty decent. You can try updating your graphics drivers and DirectX. I'd also suggest turning off all background programs.

i turned off all background programs (that i recognized)
    i did update my graphics driver last night... then i spent a while trying to get windows to boot. the driver says it is working fine though.

i didn't try updating directX though
  • edited July 2009
    it seems i already have directx 10 installed.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Aside from that, I'd try turning off as many background programs as humanly possible.
  • edited July 2009
    i did turn off background programs.
    i ended up killing DWM.

after that, i was able to run the game at 1280x720 at quality 3. it hung a few times, but was otherwise fine.

i'm still annoyed that i seem to have the required specs yet can't run the game at high quality, or even mid-quality. i know i don't have the fanciest computer, but i did check the game specs before purchase.

i like the game, but i am not at all impressed with how it runs.
  • edited July 2009
    i'm still annoyed that i seem to have the required specs yet can't run the game at high quality, or even mid-quality.

You may be new to PC gaming. I will let you in on a secret: minimum requirements basically mean that you're going to be able to load the game, not necessarily play it with any degree of enjoyability ;)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    after that, i was able to run the game at 1280x720 at quality 3. it hung a few times, but was otherwise fine.

i'm still annoyed that i seem to have the required specs yet can't run the game at high quality, or even mid-quality. i know i don't have the fanciest computer, but i did check the game specs before purchase.

To be honest, i am actually surprised that you can run it at level 3 at that resolution with 3 year old onboard Graphics and shared memory.
    I recently wrote with someone who was able get a similar performance with a geforce 5500 fx. Your graphics chip seems to have a similar performance as this 5 year old low budget Graphics card.

If you really want to play at higher levels you would need a graphics card better than that. I assume your system has an AGP slot? Then an ATI Radeon 3650 AGP would be a card that is quite cheap and should be sufficient for higher levels. Your system would need to support AGPx8.
    In case it already has PCIe you would have a lot more options.

That recommendation is based on technical data and benchmarks, therefore i can not guarantee you what graphics level would be possible. You should make sure you can get a refund just in case something doesn't work as expected. This statement by another user looks quite promising though, but he didn't say in what resolution. I guess however if it was terribly low he would not sound that positive.
  • edited July 2009
    Itchrelief wrote: »
    You may be new to PC gaming. I will let you in on a secret: minimum requirements basically mean that you're going to be able to load the game, not necessarily play it with any degree of enjoyability ;)

yes, i am new to pc gaming... or at least re-new. i think the last pc game i played was 7th guest.
    i'm used to console gaming where i put the game in the console and it runs without issue.
    i was going to just wait for tales on wiiware, but then i realized it would probably be $10 an episode like strongbad is and i am far too cheap for that.
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    To be honest, i am actually surprised that you can run it at level 3 at that resolution with 3 year old onboard Graphics and shared memory.

wait a minute... are you saying that my $300 emachines computer does not feature top of the line technology?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    wait a minute... are you saying that my $300 emachines computer does not feature top of the line technology?

Sarcasm? :D
This discussion has been closed.