The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited June 30

Well I guess one silver lining is that this finally confirms that TFTBL's brilliance was largely down to Telltale's own writers and designers, and that Anthony Burch wasn't some secret brilliant ghost writer behind it like some people seemed to have thought

edit: hey look at that, I suddenly show back up and manage to be page king too

oh yeah

Poogers555 posted: »

Tried my best to describe the important parts! (Spoiler) Weird errors (Spoiler) Plot and other stuff I didn't really like (Spoiler) I have the same feeling I had after New Tales ended. I just feel kind of sad.

• edited June 30

I think he mainly gets so much credit because he is known as the original Borderlands story guy. It kind of sucks that the other writers and creatives at Telltale still get almost no credit for Tales. And it is not at all because he acts like he was sole reason why Tales was good, not even close as he has said many times. But most people just don't know this, so I think most people will still think having him work on Borderlands means to expect something amazing even though as far back as presequel his writing quality dipped a lot.

The book does credit Telltale for originally creating the Tales characters. However, it also thanks by name the current Gearbox creative members for reviewing/approving so I wonder if anything will be mentioned in BL4 or if this entire storyline gets dropped like every other storyline.

I just wish they'd leave the Tales characters alone. There are already far too many characters anyway. But I don't know why these writers seems so hellbent on the Tales characters, they easily have the most noticeable downgrades. Sadly I don't think they'll ever, ever even remotely take any of the writing criticism seriously. Now all 4 of the main cast have had their characters screwed up in someway.

I'd still like to know what others thought of it even though I think it is more of what was to be expected. I don't think many people are actually reading it. And welcome back!

Deltino posted: »

Well I guess one silver lining is that this finally confirms that TFTBL's brilliance was largely down to Telltale's own writers and designer

• I finally graduated. Time to enter the real adulthood.

I'm gonna die, aren't I?

• You have nothing to worry about. We are definitely all real adults who survived more than a month after graduation and were not slaughtered and replaced by sentient AI.

AronDracula posted: »

I finally graduated. Time to enter the real adulthood. (Spoiler)

• 01010100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100010 01100101 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110010 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101011 01101110 01101111 01110111 00101110 00100000 01110111 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01101100 00100000 01101000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 01110011 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01101100 00100000 01101000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100001 01100011 01110100 01101001 01110110 01101001 01110100 01101001 01100101 01110011 00101110

WarpSpeed posted: »

You have nothing to worry about. We are definitely all real adults who survived more than a month after graduation and were not slaughtered and replaced by sentient AI.

• edited July 5

This fellow human is correct. We most certainly have not been replaced by a far superior artificial intelligence.

WarpSpeed posted: »

You have nothing to worry about. We are definitely all real adults who survived more than a month after graduation and were not slaughtered and replaced by sentient AI.

• James Cameron warned us 40 YEARS AGO. And these fools never listened or watched the films.

• Yeah, we were replaced by a subpar artificial intelligence, the kind that asks for receipts and doesn't use the rolling stop at stop signs.

lupinb0y posted: »

This fellow human is correct. We most certainly have not been replaced by a far superior artificial intelligence.

• "Dude that game was so good! The sequel must be coming soon! Probably around like 2016 or something, right?"

3 more days until its been 10 years.

• So I boot up Elden Ring, get 15 minutes into the game, and I get told I am maidenless... thanks game

• Day 3649 of asking for TWAU S2 until we get it.

"Dude that game was so good! The sequel must be coming soon! Probably around like 2016 or something, right?" 3 more days until its been 10 years.

• Day...40...177...

Cocoa6372 posted: »

Day 3649 of asking for TWAU S2 until we get it.

• No maidens?

Get yourself a waifu later in the game.

So I boot up Elden Ring, get 15 minutes into the game, and I get told I am maidenless... thanks game

• Year 10!

• 2018: “Telltale’s back and we’re getting Wolf 2 with the original devs! We’re eating good boys!”

Telltale fans eating in 2024:

• Let's go find a good legacy project!

2018: “Telltale’s back and we’re getting Wolf 2 with the original devs! We’re eating good boys!” Telltale fans eating in 2024:

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited July 8

Song is appropriate (what a great soundtrack this game had):

2018: “Telltale’s back and we’re getting Wolf 2 with the original devs! We’re eating good boys!” Telltale fans eating in 2024:

• Late to the party on my reply (personal shit and life got a bit fucky) but hopefully something of value came out of it.

Menofthe214 posted: »

@dylanwoods777 and @MetallicaRules If it's ok with you guys I'm actually gonna share your views on the topic with my cousins. I'm actually

• Sorry man, dipped out for the last few weeks. But yeah, I saw this back when it was announced. It’s cool, and I didn’t know that the original developers of Guitar Hero and Rock Band were behind this Fortnite Festival game. It’s not enough to convince me to ever get Fortnite, but hell, I’m glad it exists

AChicken posted: »

@MetallicaRules Wow. Thoughts? https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1800891001424458073 https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1800906162042187826

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 8

I finally finished Red Dead Revolver. It was rough, but honestly it's amazing that Angel Studios managed to make the disparate mix of arcade gameplay when it was published by Capcom and the explorable town when it was picked up by Rockstar Games work at all.

The hitboxes were often broken and the ammo wasn't plentiful enough when this happened, but thankfully there were checkpoints so when it started getting dodgy, purposefully dying managed to fix things. It's one of those games clod your way through to see the story, during the game and in journals that can only be unlocked by purchasing random items in stores.

It is neat to see the prototypes of stuff done much better in the Redemption games, like deadeye targeting, Gatling gun missions, and rideable horses. Duels are done much, much better in later games. They are terrible here. You have to pull down the right thumbstick then drag the thumbstick back up slowly so that the crosses can turn from yellow to red. But you can't go too slow or you will lose.

The neatest thing in my opinion were the characters that were influences on characters in future games. The main character, Red Harlow, was a truly honorable man that was part Native American which mirrors Charles from Red Dead Redemption II pretty closely. One of the best characters was Annie Stoakes, who is an obvious prototype of Bonnie MacFarlane from Red Dead Redemption. Both are blonde ranching women that can hold their own among the men. Bonnie was handled so well, my brain has been confusing her with a Red Dead Redemption II character. In turn, Bonnie can be seen as the predecessor of my favorite character in the entire series, Red Dead Redemption II's Sadie Adler. There's also Shadow Wolf, a Native American who is Red's cousin. He has the temperament of Redemption II's Rains Fall mixed with the abilities of Rains Fall's son, Eagle Flies.

There actually is one thing Red Dead Revolver does that no other Red Dead game does that I wish they'd bring back. Some chapters are playable by other characters than the main protagonist, mostly through flashbacks, but also in the main story. The secondary villain, General Diego, is even playable. It was kind of interesting to play a villain for a flashback chapter. It makes me wonder what it would have been like to play a flashback with a Pinkerton or a Bureau of Investigation officer in the Redemption games. Oh, and when playing as Annie you can ride a bull. As far as I know, no other Red Dead game let you do that and it was actually quite a bit of fun.

I thought Red Dead Redemption had a lot of stereotypes, but Red Dead Revolver doesn't even try to dial it back. There are stereotypical Mexicans, which honestly aren't handled any better in the first Red Dead Revolver, but the hooting Native Americans are quite cringy. It's offset a bit by the fact that Red's family members are actually handled quite well.

This one had a mostly happy ending, with the exception of the death of Red's ally and one-time playable character Jack Swift. It was nice to see Red Harlow get to walk off into the proverbial sunset considering he was an unambiguously good character.

I'm now playing Red Dead Online and plan to play Undead Nightmare once I pick up either the disc or DLC version of it next month.

• Man. This was the best timeline.

Song is appropriate (what a great soundtrack this game had):

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Ooh, I'd recommend this Red Dead series retrospective from Noah Caldwell-Gervais, if you don't watch his stuff already.

Jennifer posted: »

I finally finished Red Dead Revolver. It was rough, but honestly it's amazing that Angel Studios managed to make the disparate mix of arcade

• My boy, Abhi, did an interview with Melissa just now. Give it a shot.

• edited July 10

What if one of those random bots that keep showing up randomly post a link to the first 3 episodes of Wolf 2 that would be crazy

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 10

I've been watching a lot of Red Dead YouTube videos lately, but haven't come across this one. I'll check it out. It looks like it should be interesting.

I've been thinking on the series for a bit, and I realize why I've been taken with them so much. What's great about these games is that, other than perhaps Red Harlow, you are playing as really horrible people. But, the writing is so good that you forget that.

It's what makes the juxtaposition of Leopold Strauss work so well. He's maybe marginally above the rest of the gang in the harm factor since he doesn't intentionally kill anyone. But, he's written in a way that makes you dislike him and doing his bidding makes you feel bad while carrying it out.

It's fun playing as an hero in games, but it's usually more entertaining in story-based games if your characters are a bit more complex. It makes them feel more human, and Red Dead is certainly great at doing that.

dojo32161 posted: »

Ooh, I'd recommend this Red Dead series retrospective from Noah Caldwell-Gervais, if you don't watch his stuff already.

• Early reactions for the Borderlands movie are being described as "terrible" and "unfunny."

Finally, a video game adaption that stays true to the source material :relieved:

• The sad thing is, this is probably funnier than anything in the movie

Early reactions for the Borderlands movie are being described as "terrible" and "unfunny." Finally, a video game adaption that stays true to the source material

• I wonder what actor is the sucker who shows up as discount Jack in the post credit scene tbh

Early reactions for the Borderlands movie are being described as "terrible" and "unfunny." Finally, a video game adaption that stays true to the source material

• The more time passes, the more I lose faith in Telltale and Wolf Among Us 2. The game was revealed in 2019, the time I was in my second year of college. Yet here I am, I graduated and Telltale made no progress with their project. The sheer silence doesn't help whatsoever.

• Most days I just forget about it completely, which for me personally, isn't a good thing. When I'm looking forward to something, it occupies a lot of headspace, when I do think of TWAU2, I just instantly think of the disorganisation and mismanagement at Telltale, I've got no excitement or any form of anticipation, as bad as it is to say, I feel that if we ever get to see the game release, it will not have been worth the wait.

AronDracula posted: »

The more time passes, the more I lose faith in Telltale and Wolf Among Us 2. The game was revealed in 2019, the time I was in my second year

• edited July 11

I think alot of it is the upper management, they must have gotten paid more to have the devs work on Expanse rather then release Wolf 2, which is kinda like what old Telltale did imo. But of course due to the layoffs (after the Expanse finished) Wolf 2 seems to have the same or even slower development. I due wonder how many ppl are even working on Wolf 2 atm. I think most people would prefer having Wolf 2 release first because every Telltale fan wanted it, then the Expanse releases after, even if the time for making the Expanse is very slow because not many people would know about it.

Most days I just forget about it completely, which for me personally, isn't a good thing. When I'm looking forward to something, it occupies

• edited July 11

Pretty much the only reason why I have any faith in Wolf 2 is because AdHoc was involved. But now we are in a really weird spot where we don't know if they are still working together. Given that article and what the guy who revealed lay offs happened seemingly hinting AdHoc is not involved anymore. It is also pretty clear something is going wrong behind the scenes, so I really hope it wasn't a falling out like that. I feel like AdHoc was the number 1 reason a lot of us had faith in the game, if they aren't involved anymore then I'd rather the game be canned again.

I really hope AdHoc is still involved. If they are it does sadly seem like once again a project gets completely mismanaged by Telltale being too focused on everything but what they should actually be focusing on.

Also it is possible AdHoc's role has been finished, although I doubt that. They were meant to be the story people and the whole game is story so they'd still be involved every step of the way even if the script part was finished. However, it is very possible that Telltale was suppose to have staff that AdHoc would be collaborating with, but now Telltale has not enough staff and so AdHoc can't really do much now either, which may be why AdHoc isn't "currently" involved.

Most days I just forget about it completely, which for me personally, isn't a good thing. When I'm looking forward to something, it occupies

• Dramatic visualization of Telltale developing TWAU S2 and keeping up with fan expectations:

• edited July 12

To celebrate the Telltale's founding, they've released a couple new screens from TWAU2.

• I feel like every time we start bad talking no updates they suddenly release something lol

That said I kind of wish I was more excited about this. Once again these are screenshots of just Bigby with a background that doesn't reveal much else. Like yeah, it is cool to see some new screenshots but end of the day none of them are really showing that much. Looks like they might share some more stuff later, so maybe we could at least get a screenshot of Snow or just something different than a Bigby close up.

I'm hoping because Telltale actually posted this it is a better sign that a true update is coming. But after all this time since the last update it would be nice if they shared something that wasn't just a close up of Bigby, it doesn't really feel like progress is being made still.

To celebrate the Telltale's founding, they've released a couple new screens from TWAU2. https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/1811792635947835533

• A fine addition to my Bigby avatar collection 🐺🐺🐺

To celebrate the Telltale's founding, they've released a couple new screens from TWAU2. https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/1811792635947835533

• These are just variations of the same scenes they've already showed us: Bigby on a building in the snow, Bigby investigating someone's house. They really don't have much to show for all the years this has been in development, do they?

• I guess they heard me.

But still not enough.

• At this point, I've given up hope that it's ever coming out. If does, it'll be a pleasant surprise. If it doesn't, I won't have to go through the same disappointment from the first time it was canceled. With AdHoc MIA, it's even easier to keep my expectations low.

I feel like every time we start bad talking no updates they suddenly release something lol That said I kind of wish I was more excited ab

• Oh that looks beautiful.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.