Do you prefer the original Minecraft or Minecraft: Story Mode?

Which one do you like the most? :)

Comments

• Hm... I don't think you could really compare these 2 games. At least i cannot do this. The only thing they have in common is the name and the style. Original minecraft doesn't have a story, a plot, characters that appear during the story, and you can do whatever you want. So i think that MCSM is some kind of a "bonus" for those who appreciate original Minecraft. Oh, and just a good game. I really enjoy both of them!

• I hate the original Minecraft, so definitely Story Mode.

• Why do you hate original minecraft? It's literally just building stuff.

I hate the original Minecraft, so definitely Story Mode.

• Exactly, that's why I hate it. Maybe it's because I'm uncreative, but if I'm going to play something, I would like it to have a story to it. The reason why I fell in love with many of Telltale's games was because they had amazing stories to them, the original Minecraft had nothing and, as a result, I never got sucked into it.

Why do you hate original minecraft? It's literally just building stuff.

• Hm. I guess, but the story isn't really what Minecraft was for. It's like not getting sucked into Legos because it doesn't have a story.

Exactly, that's why I hate it. Maybe it's because I'm uncreative, but if I'm going to play something, I would like it to have a story to it.

• I used to play a lot of regular Minecraft. Yet again, I like Story Mode. It's really hard to compare them, it isn't like comparing TFTB and the rest of the Borderlands games. I say I like MC:Sm, but it's pretty hard to compare.

• I'd say the original Minecraft, but as other people have said, it's really apples and oranges to compare the two.

• It feels like a weird question, Minecraft Story Mode may be an awesome story that takes place in the world, but overall it is essentially an extension of all the attention hardcore fans give the original Minecraft.

Though amoung all the creations that the community made to dedicate to Minecraft, I would say Story Mode is amoung the best. The only thing I think has a chance of Rivaling Minecraft Story Mode, are the massive mod packs, and Slamacow's Animations whenever he uploads them.

• :D I swear I've never been a fan of that saying, cause you saying it's like comparing apples and oranges, yet you have a favourite fruit :D

I'd say the original Minecraft, but as other people have said, it's really apples and oranges to compare the two.

• Minecraft, in a sandbox people say there's no story. But you can play other people's stories that they made, and you can do cool things.

• You just can't compare the original became famous because it allowed everyone to creat something and the gradual changes kept it fresh and entertaining. Another thing that was and is great that 2 players can still play together, which unfortunately most new games don't seem to no longer support. MCSM is fun, but I would never swap the original for it.

• It's been said quite a few times here but you really can't compare them. I don't even find it fair to compare them since Story Mode only has two episodes thus far anyway. And even when the game is complete that won't really make it any easier to pick which one I prefer, as I have several fond memories with Minecraft itself. We'll see how Story Mode plays out!

• Both are awesome. Minecraft is sandbox, you're free to do almost everything you want, even because you can mod it. In Minecraft: Story Mode, there are quick time events, a considerably better fighting system than Minecraft itself, cool graphics, voice acting, definitely better animations with bends, easter eggs, but it's very limited. So there's a tie.

• Since I don't play the original I definitely like Story Mode more.

• Story Mode, because I have no interest in the original.

• They are hard to compare I find my MCSM more fun when I find new things or play a new episode but it would have to be minecraft that game can keep you entertained for years and it's always new

• Story mode! Story mode! Story mode!

But, tbh, I reeealllyy don't like the original minecraft. Too open ended, and I have no goal to strive for. So, story games are better for me.

• edited November 2015

Honestly? While I love Minecraft: Story Mode, it takes away the one thing I loved about the original (Which I knew that's what Telltale was going to do) and that was the Adventure. Games like Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Minecraft are my favorites because of how open they are, and you can basically make your own adventure. (While following some main plot lines of course) Basically, I feel the same way about Minecraft and Minecraft: Story Mode as I do with Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Link to the Past/Minecraft, amazing game, wide open, play at your own pace, and you feel open and in control of everything. Ocarina of Time/Minecraft: Story Mode, You're being taken on a ride, you have no control, and while it's not exactly a bad game, it's no where near as fun as the previous entry.

Except the only difference is I love MCSM, and Hate OOT

Oh, right. Bottom line is, I enjoy Minecraft more.

• Actually, Minecraft has some deep lore, along with a purpose. Kill the Wither and the Ender Dragon. There's an awesome Mindfuck ends credits sequence after you kill the dragon.

Exactly, that's why I hate it. Maybe it's because I'm uncreative, but if I'm going to play something, I would like it to have a story to it.

• They are two separate games and can't really be compared to one another. I like the original more than the story mode myself, but I do enjoy both for different reasons.

As several others have stated before, the OG Minecraft game allows you freedom and flexibility of exploring the world at your own pace, doing what you want any way you want. The achievements are mostly there to give players little goals to go for for a personal sense of pride, as well as somewhat of a tutorial for players to follow (in a very loose way).

MCSM, on the other hand, is witty and funny with pleasurable graphics to look at, keeping you entertained with the choices you make along the way. The action scenes are even well done, and get my heart going a little bit as I try and combat the wither storm during crucial moments. It's a very relaxing yet occasionally intense game that you can easily follow along with because of how it's played out.

All in all I do enjoy both about the same, because they are two separate games about things I like equally - An explorational game and a bootleg Visual Novel game.

• You have got to create your goals examples: Upgrade your house, Build a nether portal, try to find and a stronghold, raid a temple. You get the idea

AChicken posted: »

Story mode! Story mode! Story mode! But, tbh, I reeealllyy don't like the original minecraft. Too open ended, and I have no goal to strive for. So, story games are better for me.

• Is neither an option?

• MC:SM because...Telltale

• But...but i like OOT.

Honestly? While I love Minecraft: Story Mode, it takes away the one thing I loved about the original (Which I knew that's what Telltale was

• I have always loved story driven games. I do like the orignal minecraft and i play it sometimes, but i love story games much more. So Minecraft Story Mode.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.