Doug the Ogre Collaborative Comic - Everyone is Free to Contribute

JenniferJennifer Moderator
edited October 2017 in General Chat

I just realized that I never posted my Doug the Ogre Collaborative Comic here, even though I got the idea from a thread on these forums. D'oh!

There's two things I wanted to do. I love the Torpedo Rock collaborative comic on the Telltale forums and I've been wanting to start something similar, and I'm a big supporter of the public domain, so I'm going to use this post to do both.

Since the United States public domain laws prevent works from going into the public domain for the forseeable future, I wanted to release one of my own creations in support of the public domain. But, due to differing public domain laws in different countries (a work that is in the public domain may not necessarily be in the public domain in others), I decided to use a more binding license instead.

Ever since I first created Doug the Ogre he has been one of my favorite characters. He is also mostly a clean slate. The only thing ever said in the Jenni comic is that he's not necessarily good or evil, just "mostly good" (and that he's the size of an average human, whereas the other ogres are much bigger). Other than that, he's completely free to mold as anyone sees fit. So, feel free to do so. Doug the Ogre is now released for all under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. And , since I used her in the first Doug the Ogre comic, I'm also releasing Doug's mother for all under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license as well. :)

I'm releasing the Doug The Ogre comic itself under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0 license, so you can do whatever you want with it, commercial or non-commercial, but everything you create based on it must be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0 license too (that way all pages of the comic that are made are covered under the same license).

There's a Doug the Ogre thread on the Double Fine forums, and a Doug the Ogre thread on my forums, but you can also contribute here as I'll be keeping all three threads up to date with any new comics. So, with all that said and done, here's the Doug the Ogre comics that have been created so far. Feel free to continue it as you see fit in your own style. :)

img
img
Created by Darth Marsden (and darkened from the original to make it easier to see by me, you can see the original at the Doug the Ogre thread on the Double Fine forums)

img

I decided to bring one of the main characters of the Jenni comic over. Since he's based on a public domain character, it only seemed fair that he be in this. So, with this my take on Merlin is now released under the the Creative Commons Attribution license. I'm releasing my other takes on public domain characters under the Creative Commons Attribution license as well (The Time Machine/H.G. Wells and Margaret Cavendish/The Blazing World, The Big Bad Wolf/The Boy Who Cried Wolf, and Captain Hook). :)

img
img
Created by flesk (and cleaned up a little by me, you can see the original at the Doug the Ogre thread on the Double Fine forums)

img
Created by Maddie (my mom, lovescupcakes on these forums, you can see the original post at the Doug the Ogre post on my forums).

img

img
Created by BidiotBales (you can see the original post at the Doug the Ogre thread on the Double Fine forums)

img

I was working on the Moai code for Doug's Moai Adventure to try to get it playable without needing to install the whole Moai devkit (I haven't figured it out yet, but I'll hopefully figure it out soon), and I realized that I left an important inventory item behind in the game. Whoops.

Well, let's fix that and make it a plot point instead of an omission. ;)

I released Marvin under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license earlier this year as well. :)

img

Tagged:

Comments

• Looks great Jennifer. Too bad I'm not an artist, but I do have some pretty funny jokes.

What's a ghost's favorite drink?

Boo-ze.

• How dare you.

Looks great Jennifer. Too bad I'm not an artist, but I do have some pretty funny jokes. What's a ghost's favorite drink? Boo-ze.

• img

:D

Looks great Jennifer. Too bad I'm not an artist, but I do have some pretty funny jokes. What's a ghost's favorite drink? Boo-ze.

• LMAO, Doug is like: Plz.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator

Long time, no comic. So, let's continue from the last one, shall we? :)

Doug 12

• Why have I not seen this great thread before?

• Not sure you'd like fanart. I hope you don't mind my interpretation of the character! enter image description here

Fan art is definitely welcome! That's super awesome! :D

Lazy_DC posted: »

Not sure you'd like fanart. I hope you don't mind my interpretation of the character!

edited August 2017

I decided to make a new comic. :D I made these two images last year during my open studio art group. I made them in watercolor pencil, but I decided to re-color them using Paint.NET. I left the watercolor look for the exploding rocks - I feel it gives it an out of this world vibe due to the contrast with the solid colors of the rest of the comic. :)

Doug 13

Oh, and if you want to contribute, our own friendly former forum moderator, Darth Marsden, created a template of the layout used for most of the comic strip:

Doug template

I also made a true type font out of my handwriting to make it easier for me to make strips. I shared it at my DeviantArt page, so you can use that too if you want. :D

• Kewl Lemon made a new comic, using the awesome fan art by Lazy_DC. :)

Doug 14

Oh, and don't worry about the legalese. I got permission for this strip's use of the Costume Quest characters and just wanted to make it clear that they are exempt from the share-alike license used in this comic.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.