Sam & Max seasons version comparison?

edited July 2009 in Sam & Max
Hi everyone. Like many people lately I've come to know and love TTG's stellar games thanks to Tales of Monkey Island. I've been playing the crap out of that game and enjoying every single second of it. Of course it draw my attention towards other TT games such as Sam & Max, SBCG4AP. I downloaded the free episode "Abe Lincoln must die" and I'm sold! So now I want to buy both seasons.

I've tried searching the forums but haven't found anything so... What are the major differences between the different releases? I know that the PC DVD comes with a bonus disc with lots of goodies (besides the awesome cover) and that dowloading the seasons directly reports no bonus content but it's cheaper as I have to pay US$10 for shipping to Spain if purchased from the TTG store. I can also expect the XBLA version to have HD graphics and achievements while I'm unsure about the Wii version.

I like having physical copies of my games but which version would you recommend if that's not a problem? I must also specify that eventhough the English language is not a problem for me, I'd like to know if any of the releases supported Spanish subtitles.

Thanks in advance :) Long live to Sam & Max!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I have ordered Sam & Max Season 1&2 and recieved my copies today. I glady payed the 10$ shipping and handling it cost for shipping to germany. And what to say. They rock. The goodies are good. Bloopers, Cutscenes and so on. There's a soundtrack sampler on the DVD and Wallpapers.

Alltogether, I was glad I've bought S&M... I will also order the W&G DVD when the episodes are done, and I've preordered ToMI, so I can the collector's DVD at the end of this season. As for the XBox and the Wii version I cannot say anything.
  • edited July 2009
    All the bonus videos are available here on the site. Just click on "Sam & Max" on the game menu and browse the video section. Of course, the DVD has them in a significantly higher quality (DVD-9).
    Also the soundtrack sampler is available here in the shop (the free mp3 download page offers exactly what you will find on the season 1 DVD).
  • edited July 2009
    The xbla arcade version is good if you wanna play it on a hd tv.. The wii
    Port has a few problems.. The collectors DVDs are really good so u can't go wrong there..
  • edited July 2009
    All the bonus videos are available here on the site.
    Not for season 2.

I know that at least some of the Wii releases are localised. I don't know anything about the Spanish version specifically, though.
  • edited July 2009
    I think the Euro Retail version of Season 1 (PC) has different languages - there's a German and French dub, and some other languages as subtitles... not sure which. See if you can find it at a local games store (or even ask them). They might have Spanish subtitles.
  • edited July 2009
    Is the fidelity of the speech higher on the dvd version? I have the demo and the downloadable first episode and the speech quality is very low, with lots of distortion and associated tiny audio file symptoms. It's driving me crazy and putting me off from the game.
  • edited July 2009
    jubjub wrote: »
    Is the fidelity of the speech higher on the dvd version? I have the demo and the downloadable first episode and the speech quality is very low, with lots of distortion and associated tiny audio file symptoms. It's driving me crazy and putting me off from the game.
    It actually happened the same to me with "Abe Lincoln must die" where all voices were normal but Sam's which was annoyingly low.
  • edited July 2009
    Ok, let's see...

Retail PC version (http://game.es/ficha/ficha.aspx?SKU=053363)

+ Translated to Spanish, but voices in English.
    + No slowdown or other problems if you have a decent computer.
    + Package is actually quite nice (metallic case).
    + Pretty cheap right now.
    + Some of the extra content is included.
    - No widescreen
    - Could be hard to find depending on where you live.

PC from telltale's site

+ Exclusive Steve Purcell's artwork.
    + No slowdown or other problems if you have a decent computer.
    + Nice extra content on the DVD.
    - No widescreen.
    - It's probably the most expensive version if you count shipping.
    - English only

Wii version:

+ Wiimote and couch are usually more comfortable.
    + I think it had a price drop recently, but can't remember how much.
    + Widescreen.
    + Spanish subtitles, English voices.
    - Hard to find in some places.
    - Graphics lack the detail of the other versions. There is slowdown and some of the dialogue is cut before it's finished.
    - No extra content other than some artworks.
    - Apparently the subtitles get mixed with the environments when playing off an SDTV and are hard to read (I don't have this one so I couldn't say...)

X-Box Live Arcade:

+ Widescreen.
    + Looks great on HDTVs.
    + Achievements.
    + Nice price.
    + Spanish subtitles, English voices.
    - The controls are not as good as the other versions (though I had no problems in the demo)
    - Digital download only.
    - No extra content (I can't remember if the artworks from the Wii version are there).

Season 2 can only be bought from Telltale's store right now, both the PC & Wii retail versions will be out in early september with similar features most likely (PC has widescreen this time, technical problems might be fixed for the Wii version...) and hopefully the XBLA will make it some time around then too. It all depends on what you like the most since they are not that different. Considering their similar price and better performance, I'd go with either PC or XBLA, but if you want to play in a couch the Wii version should be good enough.
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks a lot LittleBuddy! Your summary is everything I could have longed for. I'll definitelly go for TTG's DVD as both season are only 40€ (incl. shipping to Spain) and I guess the extra content is well worth it, not to mention Steve's art.
  • edited July 2009
    Season 2 can only be bought from Telltale's store right now
    There is at least a German version too. I don't have it, though, thus I can't tell which dubbed tracks, which subtitles and which extras are included. Anyone here have this version?

As for the quality of the season 1 DVD, the audio files are the same as in the download version. If that is all you're looking for, you don't need the DVD.
  • edited July 2009
    There are some clips of the German version on YouTube. It's dubbed with German subtitles. Also, I think Max has the same voice actress as in Hit the Road.
  • edited July 2009
    Shwoo wrote: »
    There are some clips of the German version on YouTube.
    I don't seem to find any dubbed clips for season 2. I've seen a few German dubbed scenes for season 1 only. And also a clip with original English voice but German subtitles.
    Is there actually a multilingual version in which you can switch voice and subtitles as you like, just like you can with DVD video?

I also wonder why the console versions seem to be widescreen while the first season on PC is 4:3 only.
  • edited July 2009
    I got the Software-Pyramide version really cheaply:
    + Multilingual: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish
    + No copy protection (no trace of SecuROM at all)
    + Runs on Windows 2000
    + Soundtrack sampler included
    + Non Video extras are on the disc.
    - No widescreen
    - No DVD Video extras, just a few WMV videos.
    - Just one ugly juwel case
    - The PDF-Manual spoils the myth:
    Warp Drive: A highly useful feature that does… absolutely nothing. Really.

I will keep both, this one and my Telltale DVD version, due to its DVD Video content and much nicer cover art.
  • OMAOMA
    edited July 2009
    I also wonder why the console versions seem to be widescreen while the first season on PC is 4:3 only.

This is because the PC version is older than the console versions and at that time they used to make games with only 4:3 aspect ratio (Texas Hold'em, Bone and Sam&Max S1 were all 4:3 games).
    I got the Software-Pyramide version really cheaply:
    + Multilingual: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish
    + No copy protection (no trace of SecuROM at all)

That's interesting. The Spanish retail version (the one with the metal box, which gets very easily scratched, BTW) only includes Spanish subtitles, no English text, and has SecuROM. That version you mention should have been the one released here. And by what I can see, it's really, really cheap.

http://www.amazon.de/Sam-Max-Season-Software-Pyramide/dp/B002DOSV2K

Multilanguage and with no copy protection for just 5 euro!! Of course, at that price you get a simple jewel box instead of the cool metal box, but you can't have everything :)
  • edited July 2009
    OMA wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.de/Sam-Max-Season-Software-Pyramide/dp/B002DOSV2K

Multilanguage and with no copy protection for just 5 euro!!
    Strange, mine has the USK12 logo on it, but otherwise looks identical.

Also, I have to disappoint you. Just checked the Spanish version: The only thing translated is the installer. It is otherwise identical to the English version (eventhough it has its very own file on the DVD). Not even Spanish subtitles. I think that would explain why this DVD didn't appear in the Spanish market.

The poorly designed cover doesn't even mention any translation besides the manual.
  • edited July 2009
    So the Telltale DVDs generally do look better then their local retail counterparts, right? I just ordered both Seasons (Sam & Max Season One + Bonus Disc, Sam & Max Season Two + Collector's DVD) . Looking forward to receive the physical copies. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.