buying storymode as a gift

My son wants minecraft storyboard, the PC version for christmas. Does the game have to be purchased and downloaded on the same computer? I want the game downloaded on his computer at Christmas, but I want it to be a surprise so do not want to have it on his computer before christmas, and would prefer to buy it anyway on my computer. So can I purchase it on my computer, but at christmas time have him go to a site on his computer to download the game?

Comments

• If bought off steam, it can be purchased off your computer and can be downloaded on your son's computer. I don't know if is the same with Telltale's store, but with steam, yes.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited December 2015

When you buy a game from your Telltale account, you will be able to download the game onto other computers as long as you login to the same account you bought the game from. From then, just redownload the game from the Telltale Games website by going to your profile page and clicking the "My Games" section.

If you bought the game directly from Telltale's website, keep in mind that you might want to install a free patch which fixes a bug preventing access to the second episode. (On PC/Mac, you purchase a Season Pass which gives you all five episodes as they release in one purchase). When playing the game, you can install other episodes in the game from the "Episode" menu.

https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/101385/attn-minecraft-story-mode-players-who-purchased-through-telltale-store-episode-2-update

Episodes 1 through 3 are currently released, and Episode 4 will be releasing on December 22nd. Episode 5 will be arriving in early 2016 - likely in January.

• Thank you. I never heard of steam, and was hoping to get it from telltales, so if anyone knows the answer please let me know...I will google steam though

• Both Telltale and Steam have account systems that allow you to download the game onto multiple devices if you use the same account to download the game. You should be fine if you want to buy it directly from Telltale's store.

JANSON posted: »

Thank you. I never heard of steam, and was hoping to get it from telltales, so if anyone knows the answer please let me know...I will google steam though

• I am only a volunteer Moderator - not a Telltale Staff member, but if you want, I can stick around to answer other questions if you like. You can also consult Telltale's official FAQ questions in the Telltale Games Support Center for Minecraft: Story Mode (linked below), which will also be able to help you.

https://support.telltalegames.com/hc/en-us/sections/200856828-General

• Thank you. One question I had is whether there is a difference between the pc and the ipad version? My 8 year old says he wants the PC version, and thinks it is better, is that correct? Thank you again for all your help.

I am only a volunteer Moderator - not a Telltale Staff member, but if you want, I can stick around to answer other questions if you like. Yo

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited December 2015

For all of the modern Telltale Games series (including Minecraft: Story Mode), the gameplay, story, and presentation are all the same across different platforms (besides obvious differences like using touch controls versus a keyboard and mouse or a game controller). Telltale's games are pretty simple when it comes to gameplay, as you are focusing more on playing out a story kind of like an interactive TV show or movie. Telltale designs their games to look and play the same across different devices, so there won't be missing features across platforms or anything like that, nor will the presentation be any better or worse depending on where you play.

That being said, if you want to get the game on an iOS device, I would recommend playing it on one of the more recent iPad devices. Older iPads will not be able to run the game as well.

JANSON posted: »

Thank you. One question I had is whether there is a difference between the pc and the ipad version? My 8 year old says he wants the PC version, and thinks it is better, is that correct? Thank you again for all your help.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.