Graphics problem on TOMI

edited July 2009 in Game Support
Hi. I got this weird graphics problem with TOMI. I have updated my graphic drivers but it isn't helping. PC stats are:

AMD Athlon 64 processor 2800+, MNX, 3DNow, ~ 1.8 GHz

Radeon 9250, 128.0 MB
1152 x 864 (32 bit)
Driver Version 6.14.0010.6614
Direct X 9.0C

Attachment not found.

Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Anyone please? I'd really want to play it.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having this exact same problem. I have almost the exact same specs. anyone?
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having the same problem, with no exact clue as to why. What bothers me most about this, is that we pretty much meet the system requirements, yet this happens.

I'll try to elaborate here, maybe this will be prodded in the right direction somehow.

Specs I'm working with:
    - Sempron 2600+ (1.6 GHz). This one is below minimum required. It should be 2+ GHz. Yet in my experience (10+ years of tech support), it shouldn't make a difference this large. Maybe on speed, but not on quality.
    - 1GB RAM (DDR-400).
    - Radeon 9250, 256MBs.
    - Driver version for Radeon: 8.252.0.0 (May 3rd, 2006).

random ranter: I suggest you also mention operative system and RAM. Those are pretty important.

I installed the video card on this computer to make this one game work better. These are the drivers I used: http://support.amd.com/la/gpudownload/Pages/radeon-prer300-xp.aspx

random ranter, you might wanna use those too, since my driver version seems to be higher than yours. I went straight to ATI's website, and used a group pull-down menus right on their homepage (center-right), to get to that driver. It's supposed to work for all Radeon 9250.
    Maybe in your case it'll make a difference, if the drivers are not the same already. I don't know where you got the driver version number info from in your PC. For that, I do: My Computer's Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager; Then pick the video card from the hardware list, its Properties, and check on the second tab.

Before installing the video card, I tried running it on the onboard video with 64MBs shared. That's an S3 UniChrome Pro 2D/3D Graphics on a ECS K8M800-M2 motherboard.

Most of the graphics seem to sit behind the "quality number" on the settings. Apparently, this is automatically put as high as the game estimates, and also limited there. With onboard video (I tried it on another, similar PC), it stays at 1. Didn't go beyond the first second of intro with that, it's very very bare and lacking in quality and the animation smoothness. Don't know how anyone here could suggest playing in that quality as ok.

Now adding the Radeon card, I went up to quality 3. Which works on most levels apparently, except for the problem presented in this very thread. Which obviously ruins the whole deal.

All this on 1024x768. Lower resolutions didn't help at all.

It seems to me that the recommended requisites might not really be enough. Which sucks, because we're not the kind of people to do big hardware upgrades for a single game. Monkey Island should definitely not require that.

Now this is me trying to make the game work in computers other than mine. Family's. On my own it runs perfectly at quality 9 (1024x768), but that's a quad-core CPU with 2GBs RAM and a 1GB 8800GT GPU. Everything in the market runs perfectly on that one, already.
  • edited July 2009
    Pollo D Goma, thanks for an eloquent and wholesome reply.

The other statistics for my computer are (which I get by dxdiag):

Memory: 1534 MB (this is the third lowest stat on on the first page of dxdiag, I take it that it means how much I got free memory)

Operative system: Windows XP/ Home 5.1 2600

I downloaded the driver you posted a link to. I had already previously downloaded drivers from that site, the newest one too, however for some reason I'm still running the old version. Oddly the day the driver is listed to have been released is also May 5 2006. I've had previously problems downloading updates from the site too. I do doubt if it would have actually fixed the problem on my game if it didn't help you either.

I'll be getting a new graphic card possibly today. It is Sapphire Radeon xt1650 pro 256mb. I'll tell you how that works for me.
  • edited July 2009
    I changed my graphics card and its working. The currect card is NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500. Still, I think that is no way to fix a techincal issue since the previous system qualified the published requirements.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I changed my graphics card and its working. The currect card is NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500. Still, I think that is no way to fix a techincal issue since the previous system qualified the published requirements.

You are right, but they are working on a solution.

Just out of curiosity, how does the new card perform? What resolution and Quality Level runs good with it?
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how does the new card perform? What resolution and Quality Level runs good with it?

Hello with NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500 and the system stated in the first post there are no graphical gliches in the game. I use 1152 x 864 and quality 3. It runs fairly smoothly. Animations look fine however mouse cursor is a little slumbering but not enough that it would disturb playing.

I tried to increase the quality to 4 (5 or 6 was the max the game allowed with my pc). Immediately after setting the quality the 4 the game was completely unplayable. Even the menu was so laggy it was very hard and time consuming to navigate. But with 3 it was fine.
  • edited July 2009
    Given my line of work, I've gotten used to being thorough. Trying everything, step by step, without skipping any. Especially when the hardware is not in my place and I have to make the most out of each visit to wherever it is.

This (changing to a GeForce) was my next step. After all, using Radeon was a clear common point for all of us. Also, in my experience old GeForce is way better than old Radeon, where compatibility is involved.
    Plus, on watching more of the intro with onboard video and quality 1, the glitch was gone (even though the overall animation and effects were poor).

I don't have an old GeForce to test this, but I've already sent out the call to my contacts, to see if anyone could borrow me one to make sure I'm on the right track. Without having to buy a new card first.

Thanks for confirming this from your side. Hopefully I helped along the way as well (doesn't look like it though).

It's good to see that this is being addressed officially. Thanks for the link, DjNDB.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Hello with NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500 and the system stated in the first post there are no graphical gliches in the game. I use 1152 x 864 and quality 3. It runs fairly smoothly. Animations look fine however mouse cursor is a little slumbering but not enough that it would disturb playing.

I tried to increase the quality to 4 (5 or 6 was the max the game allowed with my pc). Immediately after setting the quality the 4 the game was completely unplayable. Even the menu was so laggy it was very hard and time consuming to navigate. But with 3 it was fine.

Thank you, good to know. I expected to hear something like that, because it is a low end card. Now i have a better understanding of the games requirements.
This discussion has been closed.