Sybil

edited September 2009 in Sam & Max
Is there any given reason why her shop moved in Season 2? Well.... actually the whole street moved if I remember correctly....
Also, does anybody know if her & Abe will be back for Season 3.
I forsee a divorce

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Although I never played season 2, I heard taht in ice station santa that a giant robot at the begining of said episode grabbed and threw her house there.
  • edited July 2009
    I didn't notice it.... I guess I turned my head or something. Maimtron is who you are thinking of. It becomes Jimmy's house
  • edited July 2009
    from what I understand it was simply a device to make the street a bit shorter, and a chance to change things round a little bit.
  • edited July 2009
    I didn't notice it....
    It's really hard not to.:confused:
    from what I understand it was simply a device to make the street a bit shorter
    I think, the width remains about the same. The left end differs only slightly, as the Maimtron 9000 takes the place of Sybil's and Lefty's. The Esperanto Bookstore goes to the underground. However, about the same size what's gone, they added to the right with the front of Stinky's and Pimp Le Car.

Thinking of this, how comes there is no Esperanto Bookstore and only one parking meter in Hit the Road? Considering Jesse James hand, it probably took place before the Telltale games. But then again, it was Jesse James other hand.

The timescale in the Sam & Max universe seems odd anyways. According to calenders in the Telltale adventures, it seems to take place in our present time. But it seems quite a bit behind us in technology. Telephones are always rather vintage, and videos are only available on tape. There are no mobile phones and no DVD either. Security cameras seem excessive big. Also parking meters are usually replaces with that kind which prints a ticket nowadays, etc..
    My guess, it's an alternate universe to ours, in which Sam & Max screwed the world enough to delay such developments. Or are there other reasons you can think of?
  • edited July 2009
    I think, the width remains about the same. The left end differs only slightly, as the Maimtron 9000 takes the place of Sybil's and Lefty's. The Esperanto Bookstore goes to the underground. However, about the same size what's gone, they added to the right with the front of Stinky's and Pimp Le Car.

Thinking of this, how comes there is no Esperanto Bookstore and only one parking meter in Hit the Road? Considering Jesse James hand, it probably took place before the Telltale games. But then again, it was Jesse James other hand.

The timescale in the Sam & Max universe seems odd anyways. According to calenders in the Telltale adventures, it seems to take place in our present time. But it seems quite a bit behind us in technology. Telephones are always rather vintage, and videos are only available on tape. There are no mobile phones and no DVD either. Security cameras seem excessive big. Also parking meters are usually replaces with that kind which prints a ticket nowadays, etc..
    My guess, it's an alternate universe to ours, in which Sam & Max screwed the world enough to delay such developments. Or are there other reasons you can think of?

I can think of one.... its a video game
  • edited July 2009
    That's the boring answer.

The street also looks different in the comics and the cartoon. It's just because they're in different media.

Businesses come and go, and Hit the Road was sixteen years before Culture Shock. As to why the technology's so retro, it's set in an alternate universe where rats talk, sentient colonies of bacteria try to take over the world, and torture is only carried out in humorous ways. It doesn't have to mirror the real world.

I'm pretty sure they have mobile phones, though. In Ice Station Santa, Flint mentions taking down a sentient cell phone network. Sam & Max are just too behind the times to use them.
    I forsee a divorce
    Me too.

I hope they come back, or at least Sybil does. I liked Sybil.
  • edited July 2009
    Or maybe the rest of the world has good technology. Sam and Max are just too mistrusting of technology to buy new stuff. I mean, think about the cool VR goggles in Reality 2.0. And in The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball, the Toy Mafia had webcams.
    Bosco probably doesn't have anything new because he's too paranoid to buy anything.
    And Sybil probably just doesn't have the money for any new stuff.
  • edited July 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    Bosco probably doesn't have anything new because he's too paranoid to buy anything.

Why should he? He constructs everything that's "necessary" by himself! ;)
  • edited July 2009

I was thinking the same thing lol
  • edited July 2009
    Sybil and Sam are destined for each other! :eek:

Well, think about it. It would actually make allot of sense if it weren't so horribly wrong. They're both losers, and Sam and Max are always there for her, even when they're just undoing their own handiwork.
  • edited July 2009
    I actually had a story idea where Sybil asks Sam out because she's desperate, and Sam accepts because he's also desperate. And then he takes Max along on their date because going alone didn't even occur to him.

...I thought it was funny.

Sybil makes it clear that she's not interested in Sam or Max in 203 when you enter her office before becoming a zombie. Also, in 104 she called Sam a total loser. Her loss.

I thought it was funny in 202 that Sam says "Nah, I want to save it for someone special" when you try to use the fountain of youth water on someone who doesn't have to drink it to advance the plot, but he'll offer it to Sybil.

I also thought it was funny that she kept calling Sam and Max to tell them how over Abe she was in 203. Don't Sybil and Abe have any other mutual acquaintances? Then you wouldn't get to see the joke, but still...
  • edited July 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    Or maybe the rest of the world has good technology.
    Some maybe, but certainly not on a mainstream basis. The Eye-bo video seems only available on VHS. They sure would do DVD when they were convinced that they reach a greater audience with it. Same for the Midtown Cowboys video.
    Sam and Max are just too mistrusting of technology to buy new stuff.
    And Bosco doesn't trust anyone. Though he doesn't seem to hesitate with upgrades.
    It is certainly true for computers. Even Santa and the hell have them.
    I mean, think about the cool VR goggles in Reality 2.0. And in The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball, the Toy Mafia had webcams.
    Good points. Though anything from the COPS is so much over the top which is the joke in it, still being some really dated hardware. Except, for Bluster Blaster maybe, as we learned about its AI.
    Except for security and defense hardware, of course.
    And Sybil probably just doesn't have the money for any new stuff.
    Though, at one point her cash money did suffice for the entire USA.
    All the required material has to come from somewhere, right? Plus, we know too well where he got all his money from, which according to him he needed for all his stuff. Despite all of this, someone still managed to put the homing beacon into his store. Must have happened before Episode 2, as his alarm system was flawed to allow bringing stuff in.
  • edited July 2009
    I really like the Sybil/Sam storyline idea. Maybe you could flesh it out by having Abe spy on Sam & Sybil during there date & developing an even deeper hatred for Sam & Max due to his jealousy. It could warp his mind & make him lust for vengeance by any means necessary, effectively turning him into Season 3's main villain.
  • edited July 2009
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I also thought it was funny that she kept calling Sam and Max to tell them how over Abe she was in 203.

That was classic, I agree. Especially the passionate intonation she used - Amy Provenzano did a real good job! :)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    The street in Season Two is about the same length as the street in Season One, but it's more dense. In Season One there were big gaps of cross-streets or useless buildings (the Esperanto Bookstore and alley, the street and Lefty's between the Office and Sybil's), but in Steason Two every space is used -- Office, Bosco's, Sybil's, the diner, the COPS.
  • edited July 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    The street in Season Two is about the same length as the street in Season One, but it's more dense. In Season One there were big gaps of cross-streets or useless buildings (the Esperanto Bookstore and alley, the street and Lefty's between the Office and Sybil's), but in Steason Two every space is used -- Office, Bosco's, Sybil's, the diner, the COPS.

I definitely think you guys did the right idea in season 2.
  • edited July 2009
    doomsoth wrote: »
    I definitely think you guys did the right idea in season 2.

I wasn't saying it was a bad idea... I was just wondering how the street got the way it is. I didn't even notice Maimtron throw Sybil's shop. I saw him going on the rampage, just not throwing the building.
  • edited July 2009
    Don't worry, I didn't notice him throw Sybil's until I played Ice Station: Santa for the second time. I have no idea how I missed it. Maybe I thought he was throwing something else.
  • edited July 2009

But they have or had the internet. But it was invented in the 90s. it is not possible.
  • edited July 2009
    I forsee a divorce

i hope they were in good hand or wheels . the disoto was possessed in Ep. 205.
  • edited July 2009
    This is an Internet that's sentient and able to be revived from Al Gore's original plans. It's not like this Internet.

Besides, there's no reason why you can't have the Internet while still having rotary phones. It just means that technology didn't follow the same path as in reality.
  • edited September 2009
    Jake wrote: »

Yeah, every space is used, but it doesn't feel like a real location, even a real street, (mostly because of the destruction of lefty's, sybil's store being acutally on a road and all the rubble next to the office) it feels weird and apocalyptic. There definitely needs to be a shake-up next season. Although using the underground train station for every episode now on, could be cool, see what those moles were getting up to, and going to many sewer-like places...anyway just like all this, it's just an idea from a enthusastic loving fan. ;)
  • edited September 2009
    There definitely needs to be a shake-up next season. Although using the underground train station for every episode now on, could be cool
    If you shake it any more, you'll probably end up with all the buildings falling into the underground anyways.:D
  • edited September 2009
    If you shake it any more, you'll probably end up with all the buildings falling into the underground anyways.:D

Ooh, Sam and Max's neighbourhood in the dark, rat filled, grime-stained, dirty underground, nice location, makes a change from the surface world, with the pot-hole being the only source of light in there.

Or maybe a half collasped neighbourhood, some bits in the underground, whilst other bits scattered on the surface world. I really like the sound of all this personally, more freedom. :D
  • edited September 2009
    I forsee a divorce

I was really hoping she would end up with Zombie Abe Lincoln at the end of the season. Keeping in line with her job history, maybe she can marry and subsequently divorce a different character every season.
  • edited September 2009
    it the first time I play i think that robot throw S&M car.
  • edited September 2009
    I hope Abe is axed pretty soon because his empty character is getting really stretched now. Get Sybil running different businesses every episode again! I love what they did with the street.
  • edited September 2009
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    I hope Abe is axed pretty soon because his empty character is getting really stretched now. Get Sybil running different businesses every episode again! I love what they did with the street.

For me Harry's character is getting tiresome, and I prefer Sybil as a free spirit, not tied down to a job, to be honest.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.