Will this laptop play TMI?

edited July 2009 in Game Support
Dell Studio 15

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz/ 3MB, 1066MHz)
Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Premium SP1 64 bit
4GB (2X2GB) DDR2 SDRAM Memory
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

First PC game i've tried to play in nearly 10 years, totally out of the loop of what half of that even means... will it be playable? or will i just be stuck at really low quality/resolution?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Everything looks fine on that, but the Mobility Radeon may mean you can't run it with the graphics slider turned all the way up to 9, as the part has only one-tenth the amount of shaders of the high-end graphics chips from ATi (and one-fourth the amount of shaders of the high-end ATi part from the last generation).

It's a laptop. You gotta remember that in order to make it small and portable, something's gotta give. Graphics processors are amazingly power-hungry and hot these days (over 100W), and that means you aren't going to see powerful chips in a system that is meant to run off batteries. You could get one of the "gaming laptops", but then you lose the main benefit of a laptop: portability and size.

edit:
    Looks like you should be able to run the with the graphics somewhere in the middle, maybe higher, depending on what the specific graphics options enable as you move the slider up:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3420&p=5

Look for the 4550, which is about equivalent to the 4570 mobile part, then take the average of the results at 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolutions (as the laptop has a 1366x768 resolution, which is almost smack dab in the middle of those two resolutions in terms of number of pixels).

It looks like the 4550 gets in the low to mid-20s fps (except in Crysis at high quality). With a game like TMI, that should be playable. Since TMI is much less graphically detailed than the games benchmarked, I doubt performance would be worse than that. I mean, the Telltame Games' graphics engine couldn't be all that unoptimized, could it? :)
  • edited July 2009
    thanks, appreciate the info! sounds like it'll do the job.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    And if you can't get it to work, we can always cancel the order and refund you.
  • edited July 2009
    Why don't you just try out the demo? - If you are happy with the performance the demo shows, there is no reason why the full version should behave differently. (And if the demo does not run as you expect, the full version will neither.)
  • edited July 2009
    ^ waiting for the laptop to arrive. my current laptop can't play it at all so i decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to something in my price range. (i've needed something better for a while now, not being able to play MI was the straw that broke the camels back as it were!)

i ordered it without really knowing if it would actually play MI. if it doesn't i'll get a refund and buy it for the wii when it comes out but it sounds like it should be able to play it ok. wasn't expecting to be able to play on the high end settings.
This discussion has been closed.