TTG s, why do you hate TWAU?

It sold pretty well and was a lot of fun. Was it just a pain to make?

Comments

• Telltale never said they hated TWAU.

• edited February 2016

I don't think they hate it, I think they just haven't been giving it love because they can't make another game or are still trying to figure out what they could do if they made another game. Also, to be fair, the game was meant to be just a prequel to The Fables Comics and I don't believe it was ever said to be an ongoing series like The Walking Dead Game is.

• They don't hate it. If a sequel isn't made that doesn't mean they hate it.

• Well, haha, I imagine it actually WAS a pain to make. It did go through quite a few rewrites, after all.

But I think Telltale really do love this game. There's probably reasons it hasn't got a second season, be that contract reasons, or simply the lack of a story to tell.

• Well just because they may not be planning to make a season 2, doesn't mean they hate it.

• TellTale can't just decide to make a Season 2 one day. It's not in their hands anymore. I don't think some of you understand how contracts and deals work when it comes to TellTale's games.

• I think there's a certain ambivalence about the game by ttg - they seem to not want to fix the gfx bugs relating to the shadows and menus that a lot of people are complaining about.

• There's a reason it's literally the only Telltale game that doesn't tease a second season.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2016

It's not just this game, sadly. Telltale never fixes the bugs after the season is over, even for their biggest series like The Walking Dead. Quality assurance has always been their biggest weakness, even going back to their earlier games.

Westie posted: »

I think there's a certain ambivalence about the game by ttg - they seem to not want to fix the gfx bugs relating to the shadows and menus that a lot of people are complaining about.

edited March 2016

There's a lot of seasons by Telltale that never got a second season: Back to the Future: The Game, Tales from Monkey Island, Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, Jurassic Park: The Game, Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, and Law & Order: Legacies. Plus, Tales from the Borderlands and Minecraft: Story Mode have never had a second season announced either.

There's actually only 4 seasons that have ever received additional seasons: Sam & Max, CSI, The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones.

Telltale's made a lot more one season games than they have games that have had multiple seasons.

TheRealBiz posted: »

There's a reason it's literally the only Telltale game that doesn't tease a second season.

• If you are going off the logic that Tales also "teased" a second Season because of the ambiguous nature of the ending, couldn't the same be said of Wolf anyways? Wolf's ending was ambiguous in the same sense that Tales' ending was, while both never directly teased/led into a second Season explicitly.

There's a reason it's literally the only Telltale game that doesn't tease a second season.

• I stand corrected, I meant since The Walking Dead.

Jennifer posted: »

There's a lot of seasons by Telltale that never got a second season: Back to the Future: The Game, Tales from Monkey Island, Wallace & G

• Maybe it's just because I'm a big film noir buff, but there was no tease in TWAU. The sudden-revelation-and-fade-to-black at the very, very end of the movie is such a noir trope that they were purposefully exaggerating it in The Usual Suspects for effect.

If you are going off the logic that Tales also "teased" a second Season because of the ambiguous nature of the ending, couldn't the same be

• That was a bit of the point I was trying to make; ambiguity doesn't necessarily mean they are teasing a future story.

Maybe it's just because I'm a big film noir buff, but there was no tease in TWAU. The sudden-revelation-and-fade-to-black at the very, very

edited March 2016

Aye, and you're right that Tales from the Borderlands wasn't a tease a sequel either. It's just Rhys and Fiona going off on another adventure, akin to Sam & Max just taking off on an adventure at the end of Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse. Sam & Max disappeared in the time machine, just like Rhys and Fiona disappeared into the vault. Neither is a tease for a sequel. It's just meant to signify "the adventure continues" like classic adventure serials.

That was a bit of the point I was trying to make; ambiguity doesn't necessarily mean they are teasing a future story.

• I disagree about Borderlands just because it is left open, and TWD had the end credits scene and Game of Thrones just kind of ended in the middle of the third act, but the main reason I've never believed there's going to be a TWAU sequel from the Jump Street was the last screen of the game, which tells you to go read the Fables comics, which are all set after the game. Which I did and enjoyed quite a bit. But that has the sound of finality.

edited March 2016

A lot of Telltale's games are left open though, and there never were sequels to them. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, Back to the Future: The Game, and Tales of Monkey Island all ended very similar to Tales from the Borderlands, with a mysterious event taking place at the end, and then a cut to the credits, and the season ends without a sequel. It's just letting the audience know that the adventure filled lives of these characters keep going, even after the credits roll.

It's simply a classic "The Adventure Continues" style of adventure serial ending that's quite common in Telltale's games, and is an allusion to classic adventure serial film endings, just like how The Wolf Among Us ends like classic film noir films, or indeed, like The Usual Suspects.

I disagree about Borderlands just because it is left open, and TWD had the end credits scene and Game of Thrones just kind of ended in the m

Sign in to comment in this discussion.