Monkey Island crashes after ship explodes

edited July 2009 in Game Support
I played Tales of Monkey Island up until the point where the ship explodes and Guybrush is taken to an island on a ship wreck.
But just after it shows "based on a caracter created by Ron Gilbert" the game goes to the loading screen and it crashes.
It shows that "MonkeyIsland101.exe" caused an error and will close.
It played perfectly until it crashes.
I've been playing on 1280x800 quality 3, and I tried turning down the resolution and the quality but the same thing happened.
Here's my notebook settings
Core 2 Duo T5200
Intel GMA 950
2GB RAM

Comments

• edited July 2009
    The same exact thing happens to me now. I had played the game just past that point just fine the first time I played, I got pretty far into the game and then I quit. The next day, I load up the game and both of my save files have disappeared.
    So I start a new game and now my game will crash at the same place as the above poster, with the same error message. I was playing on 800X600 quality 1 (still runs pretty choppy, pretty disappointing since sam & max ran so well on my computer)
  • edited July 2009
    This happened to me the first time I played the demo. I am not sure which resolution I chose, but when I started a new game then with another resolution setting, the game did not crash (might be coincidence though).
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    It looks like your video card is right at the edge of it's ability. Things you can try: redownloading/reinstalling the game (just in case)
    updating your graphics drivers
    updating directX
  • edited July 2009
    I did everything told,
    and I've tried in pretty much all of the resolutions and I could only get to work in 640x480 quality 3 but the graphics look terrible.
    Even in 800x600 it crashes.
    edited July 2009
    Well there's one more thing you can try. Could you clear out your temporary internet files in your internet browser then redownload/install the game?
  • edited July 2009
    How do I delete the whole thing including user saved files?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Guil wrote: »
    How do I delete the whole thing including user saved files?

If you are talking about ToMI the Installer asks you if you want to delete the save games.
    If you meant the Browser then you should tell us which browser in which version you are using.
  • edited July 2009
    I use two browser at home.
    Is it really necessary to delete the temporary internet files before trying to download a fresh copy?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I use two browser at home.
    Is it really necessary to delete the temporary internet files before trying to download a fresh copy?

You could probably just use the browser you haven't downloaded it with the last time.
    It is however not a big deal to delete those files. How it's done just depends on the Browser Name and Version.

In recent Firefox and Internet Explorer you can do it with CTRL-Shift-Del if it's not different than in IEs German version.
    In Firefox you would only select "Cache".
    In Internet Explorer only select "Temporary Internet Files"
    Uncheck all other boxes in each case.
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for the help.
    One thing I was wondering, is that I installed a cracked version of the game, to try it, before buying the official version. The cracked version, I think it was the demo with a patch.
    Could any trash file from that first install be causing it? Like when I chose to uninstall it I didn't remove the user files, for instance!
    edited July 2009
    Certainly possible. You could try and get an extra thorough uninstaller, like Revo Uninstaller to go through and make sure all of the files were deleted.
  • edited July 2009
    Thank you very much,
    Re-Installing the game did the trick for me.
    But once I got to the beach scene the FPS got so slow, and some graphics problem started to happen (some squares on the screen instead of smoke, for instance) that I had to turn to 640x480 again for it to be playable.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Thank you very much,
    Re-Installing the game did the trick for me.
    But once I got to the beach scene the FPS got so slow, and some graphics problem started to happen (some squares on the screen instead of smoke, for instance) that I had to turn to 640x480 again for it to be playable.

As Will already stated the graphics chip is quite weak. To be more technical it
    has no hardware Transform & Lightning and Vertex Shaders
    . They are calculated as software emulation by the CPU, which makes it even slower. Though i don't know whether that explains the display errors too.

Have you also tried to set Graphics Quality to 1?
This discussion has been closed.