what games are you playing?

Comments

• edited April 2023

Diving deep into SXIX Japan with Like a dragon:Ishin gotta say I am an old fan of the studio since the Judgement first game dropped so this is quite the pleasure cruise, on the side also trying the Robotics;Notes visual novels(got them on one of those Playstore sales) given they are tied story wise(same in game world) with the Chaos games and Steins Gate by curiosity alone wanted to keep experiencing such a rich world the setting the island of Tanegashima is as beautiful in game as in real life.

• I love the Yakuza games as well, they are excellent story gamer with excellent combat and lots of side quests that give you cool unlockables I first started with Yakuza 4 and it was amazing I just ended up buying all the games the only I am missing is Lost Judgement

Tunak23 posted: »

Diving deep into SXIX Japan with Like a dragon:Ishin gotta say I am an old fan of the studio since the Judgement first game dropped so this

• Good taste you have there man I approve!
    Regarding Lost Judgement it is the deserved continuation to Yagami's story, mainly only expands on what you've seen on Judgement so it is worth your time, hopefully the live action adaptation they are supposed to do boosts further the popularity/prospect of new game of the series(thankfully that silly drama of Kimura's agency is far behind, why they did not want the game on PC back on the day is beyond me).

I love the Yakuza games as well, they are excellent story gamer with excellent combat and lots of side quests that give you cool unlockables

• Playing Dead by daylight on mobile ever since I’m prepping myself for Evil Dead : Rise I’m playing horror games until it’s release .

• I read it was something to do with Microsoft that caused most Japanese developers to not make games for PC or Xbox. I am not sure but I remember reading that years ago.

Tunak23 posted: »

Good taste you have there man I approve! Regarding Lost Judgement it is the deserved continuation to Yagami's story, mainly only expands on

• Finished the main story of the new Horizon DLC, Burning Shores. A completely serviceable DLC, nothing groundbreaking or awful, it's just fine, that's the best way to put it.

Most of what I love about the Horizon series is there (fun gameplay, beautiful graphics, open world exploration, rich and interesting lore), and most of what I hate is there (heavy handed and in your face writing, one dimensional good/evil characters). The DLC takes place in the ruins of Los Angeles, where the buildings are crumbling, it's incredibly difficult to get around, most of the inhabitants are crazy, and walking around every corner puts your life at risk. So basically, modern day Los Angeles.

You get a fair amount of extra content (new map, weapons, armors, etc.), but it's a little frustrating having to get around since most of the land mass are small islands separated by a ton of water. You're either traveling on a slow moving boat, or forced into flying, but even that is reduced since the game kicks you out of flying for large portions of it. And since there's really nothing to do on or below the water, the map feels both huge, and small at the same time. The new weapons and gameplay are great, the new skills on the skill trees are also fun and I hope to see them in the next game.

But I think my biggest gripe was something that we had not yet really seen in the Horizon series...Aloy getting a love interest. Honestly, I really didn't care for it. The writing around these games is always pretty heavy handed and forced (allies are usually way too nice and perfect, while enemies are always self-absorbed assholes), and there is no exception when it comes to her romance in the DLC with Seyka. Do I hate the character, no, she seems fine, a fairly likable character that is performed well by her actress. I just wasn't particularly invested in what they were trying to do. And to be frank, I don't really see any acceptable romance options for Aloy, it's just never struck me as an important concern for her or the player. This isn't Mass Effect or Dragon Age, the writing has, outside of very, very small occasions, never made romance or love interests a priority until this DLC. And I know there are some that want her with Erend, or Avad, or Talanah, or whoever, I've just never cared for it in this series. She's always been so hyper focused on herself and saving the world, so I just don't see it. The romance felt kind of forced and it wasn't for me. If you liked it, terrific, more power to you, I'm just glad they did give us the choice to say no to it.

And alas, with this DLC, we must bid a final farewell to Sylens' voice actor Lance Reddick. His role was small, but I did enjoy the final scene that he had with Aloy. I don't know what they will do with his character going forward, either recast or write him out entirely. Either way, he will be missed. Easily Horizon's best character, who stole every scene he was in. All I can say is RIP.

• Probably about to go back to work soon, but I've been replaying a lot of Resident Evil games since breaking my foot.

I've replayed 4R, 7, 8, Revelations, and Revelations 2.

I bailed on the original remake because I died after hours of not saving(I forgot where the damn shut off valve was in the aquaring/shark part). While I was confident in the survival zombie aspect, I was killed by a map and a timer.

I tried 5. I did. I can't. It's just the worst mix of survival and action. Left it after the first chapter.

I'm on 6 now. While it sucks, it's still above 5 for me. It knows what it is. You're playing straight through a movie... and honestly, the 4 campaigns crossing each other's paths and changing perspectives.... is pretty cool... The game just isn't a Res Evil game.

• Whatever you do in your life, never touch a game named fifa ever.

• Well, I actually like RE5. It's not the scariest game ever made but I personally love it more than the original RE4. I think it improved upon everything except for the inventory system and the AI partner isn't even that bad. It's not Sheva's fault, the AI never changes no matter who is in that position. If you play as Sheva, Chris as an AI is just the same. Wesker steals the entire game for me.

I like RE6 as well but it has worse pacing than 5 and not a fan of its entire length.

Johro posted: »

Probably about to go back to work soon, but I've been replaying a lot of Resident Evil games since breaking my foot. I've replayed 4R, 7

• A lot of the bitterness I have with 5 is probably due to the ending. Where did they go in terms of character motivation after that?
    6? Don't die.
    R1? Ummm... ehhh... follow orders? Good thing it had strong/likeable characters.
    R2? 7? 8? Save 1 person.
    Man, they could use a Wesker again.
    Next game we find out he cloned himself twenty years ago.

AronDracula posted: »

Well, I actually like RE5. It's not the scariest game ever made but I personally love it more than the original RE4. I think it improved upo

• Played through Resident Evil 4 for a third time. My second run was to see how easy the game would be in NG+ with all my weapons and then the third was just to mess around with the infinite RPG lol. Still had lots of fun all the way through. Definitely my favourite RE game so far and currently competing with Hi-Fi Rush for my Game of the Year.

• I did it. I platinumed Resident Evil 4 Remake. It wasn't too bad but I did struggle a little bit.

• edited April 2023

@Blind Sniper @lupinb0y
    some slight Inscryption Act 3 spoilers here, but it's a fun 4th-wall-breaky moment :smirk:

Y'all became guest enemies in my game! Congratulations!

I'm gonna have a lot of fun to say about this game when I'm done that's for sure

• lmao that's a pretty neat feature. Did you beat us?

AChicken posted: »

@Blind Sniper @lupinb0y some slight Inscryption Act 3 spoilers here, but it's a fun 4th-wall-breaky moment (Spoiler) I'm gonna have a lot of fun to say about this game when I'm done that's for sure

• Indeed I did. You guys weren't too tough anyway! :P

lupinb0y posted: »

lmao that's a pretty neat feature. Did you beat us?

• :scream: I am finished Inscryption :scream: That was quite the finale

Ooh wow, okay, actually I'm gonna try to quickly review this with as little spoilers as possible.

If you're a fan of deck-builders, roguelites, spooky lore, escape-room puzzle-solving, some meta weirdness and don't mind if the game switches the rules up on you multiple times, this game is for you.

It starts out as a dark atmospheric card game -- lay your cards on the table, some must be sacrificed to play new ones, and deal more damage to your opponent than he does to you.
    But what comes next is a spooky adventure through the game's "code", as more of its lore starts to reveal itself, characters' backstories deepen significantly, and multiple points where the game begins anew, in a totally different/differently-looking way.

The game is made by Daniel Mullins, who has developed a bit of a reputation with his games that delete parts of themselves, or use some of your computer data in fun ways. Most of that latter part doesn't reveal itself until Act 3, (and it fits with the theme) but when it happens it's pretty cool (if a bit creepy).
    Kinda makes me want to play DokiDokiLiteratureClub, as I've heard plenty about its freaky data-mining horror experience -- but also anime horror is too terrifying of a mix IMO...

There's also an interesting framing device for this "game" that you play, which was a little forgettable, but offers some tense & intriguing moments... especially towards the end...

There's an endless roguelike mode you unlock post-game, that returns the game to its Act 1 mechanics, so I'm sure I'll have loads of fun with that.
    Really great experience, I might replay Pony Island soon, since I forgot most of that game's quirks except for the plot.

• Same! I really liked RE5, Chris is my favorite Resident Evil character since the original one on PS1. But yes the AI is not the brightest and sometimes the path finding for the AI is terrible. But the story I do find really interesting and I like some of the action parts but I would’ve preferred more horror like the older games to be honest.

Well, I actually like RE5. It's not the scariest game ever made but I personally love it more than the original RE4. I think it improved upo

• Damn it's been a long time since I've been here. I currently play escape games or just some casual Valorant/Overwatch.

• Replayed The 11th anniversary of The Walking Dead Season one last week just to relive the nostalgia.

• Replaying Season 2 of The walking Dead and I’ll stop it from there and not play ANF , I like Javier but Gabe would drive me insane with his constant whining , David over reacting if I did something wrong Kate I have mix feeling for her Mariana she’s actually the character I liked the most.

• edited May 2023

Recently finished my Claire 2nd Run playthrough of RE2R! It's been a year since I first played it but oof, wow, what a scare-fest.
    I was prepared for a few sequences this time around – as they vaguely came back to me when I encountered each area, and as I read-through a walkthrough of what items to expect ahead – but it was still scary AF.

I got very risky with my ammo near the end, as I started to see my powerful Grenade Launcher ammo deplete. But I made it through.

Jeez, Mr. X takes no time to appear, plenty new enemies in new rooms to shake things up, and as always a superb slightly-exaggerated realistic art style with fantastic lighting makes the world unfortunately come alive in scary, scary ways.

Would have been cool to have the 2nd Run be a parallel to the main sequence, instead it’s just an alternate telling of the Escape from Raccoon City (With Leon/Claire parallel journey happening off-screen)

Pretty sure the future entries get more action-based instead of horror, so it might get easier to get into those.
    Though now I’m interested in going through RE7 again, and that’s a clear return to horror sooo… (shrug) we’ll see if I have the strength for that.

• Having a blast with Hogwarts legacy, got it a little late due to still bring a PS4 player but damn if the wait wasn't worth it.

Now can roam the castle and highlands with my Slytherin lad, collecting the field pages and random secrets really is satisfying, the SXIX century setting could be respected a bit better but saying it is a magic society is always a excuse not to be as accurate as possible.

It has been a dream childhood like experience so far and cannot help but recommend it to old readers of the novel, the castle layout alone is so worth it.

• edited June 2023

I am currently actively playing Call of Duty and Overwatch. In Call of Duty, I enjoy intense battles on various ranges, and in Overwatch, I enjoy team battles using the versatile skills of the characters. These games provide me with an unforgettable experience, as well as the opportunity to socialize and play with friends. :p If you need help with these games, I recommend asking for help here.
    Do you enjoy these games?

• edited May 2023

I got Uncharted 4 fairly cheap during the Winter Steam Sale, and only recently got around to playing it and just finished it. Voice acting is great for the most part, it's absolutely gorgeous looking, it runs really well on my laptop even on max settings with very few hiccups, it has some of the best action set pieces I've seen in a video game, and I'm enjoying the gameplay and writing quiet a bit. The animations are also really good. I enjoy Nathan Drake as a character. He's charming and has great chemistry with the supporting cast. However, I have a couple minor gripes with the game and a couple major ones.

There's a bit more platforming than I was expecting, and there have been numerous stretches of time where I'd be climbing, jumping, swinging, or sliding for a solid 20-30 minutes. It's mostly fun, but it can sometimes get a bit tedious. Also I don't know if I just suck ass but I find the shootouts to be kind of difficult. I have it set to normal, but I've died a lot lol.

One of the bigger issues I have is that unfortunately, I don't think Laura Bailey is good in this. She plays Nadine a south african character, but I would not have been able to tell unless you told me because her accent is wildly inconsistent. I honestly thought she was a New Zealander until I looked her character up. She constantly flip flops between being Kiwi, Aussie, British, and Indian. Apparently her character went through major changes after recordings which explains things.

The biggest issue by far is that the cutscenes are buggy as fuck. About 90% of the time I have to restart a cutscene because it bugs out and the character either start floating around or t-pose, and the audio cuts out. It's incredibly frustrating when it happens and really takes me out of the experience. Restarting a cutscene works about half the time, but towards the end of the game it is totally unfixable to the point where I had to skip one of the very last cutscenes because it was completely unwatchable. I don't know how on earth Iron Galaxy did such a good job with the rest of the game but completely fucked up the cutscenes. I have never seen anything like this before.

Despite these issues, I honestly had a good amount of fun with the game. The characters and story are fun and interesting, the gameplay is smooth and satisfying, and it's absolutely gorgeous to look at. However, I definitely would have enjoyed it more if the cutscenes weren't so fucking broken, and now I'm kind of dreading playing the DLC because of how abysmal they were in the base game.

• There's a couple interesting parallels between James Gunn's GOTG movies, Telltale's GOTG game, and Eidos Montreal's GOTG game...

Telltale and Eidos' games both center around a macguffin/plot that can raise the dead.

Eidos had used Rainbow's Since You've Been Gone before James did.
    Telltale used Heart's Crazy on You before James did.

The games take clear inspiration from James Gunn's musical aspects of the characters/adventure.

James' films have more of a backstory focus on Rocket overall, Eidos shows more of Drax's backstory with his wife and daughter, and Telltale has a bit of a balance for all of the Guardians' origins.

Eidos' game is very fun so far (as I'm near the last few chapters of the game I think) and it's had a really impressive cast of side-characters, really wacky and weirdly named people who are all from the comics in some way.

The differences in portrayal of characters between meduims is also very neat. Telltale's Mantis is more in line with the film's ditsy empath, whereas Eidos treats her as a mystical oracle. They also feature Adam Warlock, who in antithesis to the eventual GOTG 3's bumbling himbo, is actually an alliteration-obsessed, vainglorious strong-man.

• edited May 2023

Oh yeah, I finished a playthrough of Oxenfree a couple weeks ago and forgot to mention it. I just remembered a few things I wanted to say about it.

I love this game, it's so good and perfectly spooky. But this game is a strange, interesting mix of many different ideas I hadn't pinned down before. I'd call it mainly a Narrative, 2D Adventure game, with light platforming and choice-making.

The star of the show for this game is the voice-acting, for sure. The game's art has a nice painted-over kind of style for the environments, and the characters are just little faceless humanoids, but you wouldn't really get sucked into their performances as tiny animations play on screen. But the voices really, really enhance the experience. as I found myself imagining what their reactions might look like close up, in-the-action. They made great use of their budget and scope to capture that effect I'd say.

The choice-making coming from Telltale alums was a neat addition to this title, to make the narrative adventure be a bit more engaging if you're puppeteering Alex's thoughts about her friends and events around her throughout the game, but in some ways it feels like it doesn't use its full potential.

There are quite a few moments that clearly are "this effect can be different on multiple playthroughs", where you're forced to choose between Path A or Path B, but overall the outcome is the same and there's very little that's different between the two. Save Ren or Save Clarissa, well, I've played the game like 4 times now and both scenarios happen the same no matter who you choose to save first, but maybe with a little different dialogue for each.

There was one quest in the game that had you pick who you wanted to accompany you to find something, which actually offered some great replayability, since you have different conversations with each character on your way there and there's 3 to choose from! But this only happens once and is a bit disappointing overall.
    There are also a couple smaller moments where normal dialogue choices get referenced later on, a character brings something up, but they seem so minor and inconsequential, since it's such a tiny part of the game. I never really felt the urge to go back specifically so I could see what small dialogue changes based on what random thing I happen to choose for a conversation.

I think some of this could be remedied with the addition of a choice-tracker, that shows you what important bits of info you revealed or who you accompanied, to keep track of what choice-content you have or haven't encountered, that makes the choices have a bit more importance rather than add extra flavour in the narrative.

The "extra sequel teasers" they spread throughout the game world with hidden radio signals are a cool addition to randomly have in an update recently, and I found myself stopping at every detour checking to see if X cliff face or Y dead end held a spot with a signal. It teases some really interesting stuff from some unnamed characters who you hear over the radio. Some group interested in tuning into the supernatural signal, possibly to bring someone back? The malicious cult of Ox2 probably. I didn't find them all, that's what I could gather from what I'd heard...
    Night School was smart enough to use the same audio logs in multiple spots, to it's easier to find some of this in the game without making it too difficult to find.

Video of (almost) all locations to find them in-game

• edited May 2023

Just finished Syberia: The World Before.

If you want to know what happened to Kate Walker after the cliffhanger ending of Syberia 3, this is the game for you! If you don't care one whit about Kate Walker, you're not going to like this game, either.

Syberia has been out for more than 20 years now, the vision of Benoît Sokal, who died during the production of this last game. Syberia is all about detailed graphics (for the era in which each game is made), puzzles here and there, and following storylines of automatons and leftovers from the past.

They didn't call this one "Syberia 4", maybe because it's both a prequel and a sequel. You mostly play as two main characters, Kate Walker (of course) in 2005, and Dana Roze in 1937. Who is Dana Roze? Well, that's what Kate Walker would like to find out. Kate discovers an old train containing lost artwork, including a drawing of a young woman who looks almost exactly like her, except the drawing is from 1937. There's really no reason for Kate to go back to New York after everything that's happened, so she goes on a new adventure to find out more about the mysterious Dana Roze.

There are some war scenes in this. There is a fascist regime called the "Brown Shadow", who are basically the Nazis. There are legal problems in some countries with depicting actual Nazis in video games, which I think is the only reason why they're the Brown Shadow here, but you can substitute Nazis if you prefer, and it all fits. Dana is a member of the race that the Brown Shadow sees as inferior and unworthy.

While there are action scenes here and there, most of the game is just about discovery and interaction. And as such, it can get boring from time to time, as other games come out that capture your interest. I sure didn't play this all the way through in one sitting. Fortunately, it has an interface that reminds you of what the next goal is to accomplish, and side goals if you want to see more from a certain scene. There's also a diary of events that have happened so far, in case you really let it slide and forgot what happened.

The puzzles are not especially difficult, and there is help easily available if you need it. You also make choices occasionally, but from what I can see, none of the choices have meaningful lasting consequences.

If you want to play this, you should play the other Syberia games first, or you'll be lost in all the automaton and Voralberg stuff. The other games are probably more fun, anyway, especially the first two. Not everyone liked Syberia 3, so you could skip that one if you agree, but I liked it myself. You'll occasionally see references to Amerzone, which I would recommend you skip entirely unless you're an absolute completist, as it is not part of Kate Walker's storyline and not that exciting. Gaming sites are having special deals occasionally on a 4-game Syberia pack, which you should keep an eye out for if you're interested it getting the whole thing.

• edited June 2023

Recently played and finished Terminator Resistance. How the FUCK did this game get bad reviews? Because I loved this game soooo much. It is honestly hard to believe this game was made by the same studio behind Rambo The Video Game. Now that's one hell of a redemption. It makes me have faith that their next game, Robocop, is gonna deliver good time.

I mean it when I say this game is the VERY first good Terminator story ever told since Judgement Day. It is SOOO much better than Terminator 3, Salvation, Genesys and Dark Fate all combined. I am not exaggerating because this game does an amazing job capturing the same atmosphere and elements of the Skynet apocalypse from the first two films, the story is perfectly crafted as sequel/prequel and the characters were surprisingly memorable, especially Jacob Rivers.

Is this game perfect and unique? No. It does have small issues like weak facial animations, the graphics can be a little bit distracting at times (Not very PS4 looking) and the game gets just a little bit repetitive but the pacing is not bad at all.

If you are a fan of the first two Terminator films, I HIGHLY recommend this. Again, I still can't believe that the devs behind Rambo The Video Game came up with a better idea and execution for a Terminator story after T2 than ANYONE who wrote the Terminator films after.

• Skirting the issue...
    I can't help but laugh at the Diablo 4 launch. I believe this shit happened with the launches of 2 and 3 as well.

It's funny when you look back at some of the all time worst game launches; Rocksteady, Gearbox, Ubisoft... They didn't repeat it on the next entry.

• Kept this game waiting, huh?

Since Konami intends to revive the Metal Gear Solid franchise with MGS3 Remake and MGS Master Collection Vol 1, I decided to finally go back and finish the VERY first Metal Gear that I have ever played which is MGS4: Guns of the Patriots. The reason I didn't finish it a decade ago is because the game, for some reason, didn't let me continue with the story after a certain chapter. MGS5 The Phantom Pain is the only game that I played and finished and I loved it despite being an unfinished product. I hope this one at least has a better story.

• Finished this game. It was one of the movies I have ever played in my gaming life.

Kept this game waiting, huh? Since Konami intends to revive the Metal Gear Solid franchise with MGS3 Remake and MGS Master Collection Vol

• edited June 2023

Oxenfree is defa a bomb. Been loving it since the first time I saw that game on my Epic Games and have been following nightschoolstudios after that. Played their game After Life which is pretty cool as well. OxenFree 2 is just around the corner.

AChicken posted: »

Oh yeah, I finished a playthrough of Oxenfree a couple weeks ago and forgot to mention it. I just remembered a few things I wanted to say ab

• Amnesia The Bunker is freaking intense, man.

• I have finished Amnesia The Bunker. EASILY the best Amnesia game since the first one and I think it's the scariest game I have played this year. Thank goodness this wasn't another hide and seek experience (Well, still kinda is, the combat is VERY limited).

• You know, even with all the backlash that The Callisto Protocol got at launch, I still want to play it but I have to wait until they release of Complete Edition with all the DLC. I am just very curious to play it and I might have a good time with it. I don't expect to be a 10/10 kind of game.

• Haven't played Callisto but I've seen the combat style and people say it's very repetitive.

You know, even with all the backlash that The Callisto Protocol got at launch, I still want to play it but I have to wait until they release

• So I've seen. Maybe the new content will make it less repetitive? Only time will tell.

Menofthe214 posted: »

Haven't played Callisto but I've seen the combat style and people say it's very repetitive.

• edited June 2023

Well, what do you know? I bought Callisto Protocol Deluxe Edition on sale yesterday. And I finished it today.

This is the middest game I have ever played. The gameplay is playable and enjoyable but it overstayed its welcome due to its repetition, the pacing and the length of the game. The story....there is just nothing. It is extremely empty and the cast was completely wasted. Sam Witwer's character could have been something but he is just nothing. The gameplay is basically Mike Tyson's Punch Out 3D and the enemy variety is VERY small. Almost every enemy has the same attack pattern and none of them were unique whatsoever. I am so glad I didn't buy this game at launch.

I just hope the DLC concludes the story, whether it's satisfying or not.

EDIT: Finished the DLC. This fucking piece of content didn't save the game WHATSOEVER. It is basically the same as the base game. Same combat, same enemies and the ending is even much worse. It's like the devs just gave up on this IP. The Callisto Protocol is without a doubt the most disappointing horror game of this generation. I do not recommend it at all if you are in for story or the characters.

• edited July 2023

Been playing through the Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. remaster
    It's just as good as it ever was. Quirky characters galore, wacky deaths and ways to prevent them, and a wildly interconnected story (I've played the DS original a couple times and I'm just now remembering bunch of great foreshadowing peppered throughout.

Just finished the "crushed by giant chicken leg" chapter. Truly a wild death for Lynne. (Who I'm certain is actually inspired by a chicken design. That red poof of hair, her drooling love of chicken. C'mon lemme have this one!)

I've also just started Stray. I've got until the 18th to play it before it's removed from PS Extra. I guess they only got a year's contract on the service.

It's a very pretty game, the platforming is super intuitive, impressive how smooth it can feel.

Kinda sucks there's no photo mode, but the design choice of 90% of the time using no HUD at all kinda fixes that issue.

• I'm only in the first 5 minutes of Oxenfree 2 and I'm already getting hyped because the map is actually big and detailed now showing the landscape/paths of areas, instead of the very simple "broad area" map of the first game...

Sign in to comment in this discussion.